MAL-MART Theme Camp - come visit!!

MAL-MART Theme Camp - come visit!!

Postby shaunleeosullivan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Mal-Mart is an exciting exploration into the underbelly of America's consumer driven society. Part theme camp, part large scale art project and part social experiment, mal-mart will deconstruct the "shopping" experience by offering BRC citizens their first multi-level mall. Only at our mall NOTHING is for sale!!! Visit our massage parlor, or our clothing boutique or simply enjoy the view on one of several viewing platforms,

Our mall also has the Bubble Lounge, a dance club, a outdoor movie theatre, an elevator chill room where you can get down or get high and a fully stocked bar to get your drink on!!

All of this is wrapped up in a socio-political statement that explores the American Dream theme.... after all, what american dream is complete without a trip to the Mall?!!

Check out our website:

www.mal-mart.org

We'd love to hear your comments. So please post your thoughts and support here!

See ya on the Playa!
shaunleeosullivan

Postby Nor757 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:29 am

This is a very ambitious project! I'm looking forward to seeing and visiting. Do you allow RV's to stay overnight in your parking lot?
Best wishes - Nor
Nor757

Postby Diverse » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:26 am

looked pretty cool until I saw you were charging for an event at burning man.
That really scares me a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Diverse

Postby gyre » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:31 am

Have you guys seen Chain?
It's a film about malls all over the world with a lot of film coverage of them.
It looks at malls from two points of view and the consequences of them.

CHAIN (99 min. Color, 16mm)
As regional character disappears and corporate culture homogenizes our surroundings, it’s increasingly hard to tell where you are. In Chain, actual malls, theme parks, hotels, and corporate centers worldwide are joined into a monolithic ‘superlandscape’ that shapes and circumscribes the lives of two women. One works for a corporation, the other is a young drifter.

A portrait of the Identikit landscape that has sprung up all over the world, Chain was shot over seven years in seven countries. Jem Cohen's film tells the story of a Japanese businesswoman and an American drifter who realise that, since everywhere looks the same, it is increasingly hard to tell where you are.
gyre

Postby betrdanevr » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:53 am

Diverse wrote:looked pretty cool until I saw you were charging for an event at burning man.
That really scares me a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. I thought that wasn't allowed? Perhaps I've misunderstood????
betrdanevr

Postby AntiM » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:25 am

Diverse wrote:looked pretty cool until I saw you were charging for an event at burning man.

I read it, the event which is charging is on August 9th, a fundraiser for the camp. Don't Panic.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Diverse » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:52 am

Ok now I see, I guess that is not as scary as it first looked.
Diverse

Postby betrdanevr » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:48 am

:oops: Me too, diverse.
betrdanevr

MAL-MART

Postby shaunleeosullivan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:03 am

[quote="Diverse"]looked pretty cool until I saw you were charging for an event at burning man.
That really scares me a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Although this has been clarified that we are NOT and would NEVER charge for an event at burning man, I just wanted to address the point personally.
The event we were "charging" for was a fundraiser for our camp held this past saturday (august 9th) our camp is costing thousands of dollars to build and every member of the camp is contributing more than most can afford (hence the fundraisers).

At Burning Man itself, the MAL-MART theme camp is all about giving back and gifting! After all, we are a department store where nothing is for sale!

So in the spirit of giving, we have movie nights, dance parties with our resident and guest DJ's, and of course a fully stocked bar offering all your favorite libations including frozen margaritas for as long as our blender holds out!!!

Check our website to stay posted on all the latest mal-mart info and be sure to tune to BRC radio and check in with our camp to learn when our onsite events are planned!

www.mal-mart.org

See ya on the playa!!!!

Shaun
shaunleeosullivan

Re: MAL-MART

Postby jadewombat » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:01 pm

You need to see Wall-e if you haven't already, this is exactly what the future looks like in the film. The President of the world is the CEO of a ultra-mega store called Buy N' Large. They have to evacuate Earth because nothing will grow any longer, then people float around in space on a ship where they don't have to walk anywhere--just sit in moveable Lazy Boys and talk to each other on screens all day. Very accurate but scary depiction of our future.
jadewombat

Postby EB » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:21 pm

Can't wait to see it, guys! Looks cool!
Irony. You're soaking in it.
EB

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Jerk Camp

Re: MAL-MART

Postby gyre » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:57 pm

jadewombat wrote:You need to see Wall-e if you haven't already, this is exactly what the future looks like in the film. The President of the world is the CEO of a ultra-mega store called Buy N' Large. They have to evacuate Earth because nothing will grow any longer, then people float around in space on a ship where they don't have to walk anywhere--just sit in moveable Lazy Boys and talk to each other on screens all day. Very accurate but scary depiction of our future.
Sounds much like E.M. Forster's The Machine Stops.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:00 am

How many Starbux you have planned there?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Re: MAL-MART Theme Camp - come visit!!

Postby KestrelSF » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:50 am

Sounds like its gonna be a blast! Just not sure you could call something modeled after you know who a "boutique". Also curious to see what your 'greeters' will be wearing.
KestrelSF

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Paradise Motel

Postby Intubater69 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:01 pm

Walking into Wally World once back into the default world will never be the same, not that it isnt an experience already.
I get to drive the ambulance how fast?!!

SailMan
Intubater69

Return to 2008 Theme Camps