Looking for a camp with food, drink, and shade

Looking for a camp with food, drink, and shade

Postby nedhead » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:25 pm

Hello burners!
This will be my first burningman. I've wanted to go for years, and am finally making it happen. I'm quite excited. The only way that makes any sense to me to get there and back from Nederland Colorado, is on my Harley. Which leaves me a little carrying capacity challenged. I just learned that there are many theme camps that can/will provide food and drink and shade in exchange for some cash and some work. I am willing and able to provide both. I'm just a little too new to know how to find the right camp. Any advise, suggestions, or invitations are very welcome!
A little about me:
I'm a straight, open-minded, eastern thinking, IPA drinking, playful, hairless man with plenty of compassion and gumption to spark a colorful debate that starts with the contemplation of the total obscurity of existence and ends in a thumb wrestling match.
I'd really like to find some kind, shaded space where I could park my ride and pitch my tiny tent. And having an option other than living on beef jerky and power bars for a week would be fantastic.
Due to a surprise visit to Ned from one of the most fantastic people that I know on this planet, I probably wont make it out there until tuesday or wednesday. I do have the whole following week free though... Which could include a trip through vegas, then salt lake city to see some folk, then some hot springs... Or it could be comprised of things that have yet to become conceivable to this tiny mind of mine...

Thanks for reading...
Thanks for your suggestions, invitations, advice, banter, random thoughts, love, direction, and of course your (_________).

Cheers!
-dave
nedhead

Postby MikeVDS » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:32 am

I'd suggest going out there with your beef jerky, power bars, and don't forget water. Then go meet people. If you're outgoing, helpful and friendly, you'll probably not have to eat your junk much and you'll have more fun. When you get there, you'll realize that every camp that you get along with is your camp. Then next year you'll figure out ways to be prepared to help the next batch of newbies.

Carrying enough water may be your biggest problem (one gallon per day if you don't shower).
MikeVDS

Re: Looking for a camp with food, drink, and shade

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:18 am

nedhead wrote:Hello burners!
This will be my first burningman. I've wanted to go for years, and am finally making it happen. I'm quite excited. The only way that makes any sense to me to get there and back from Nederland Colorado, is on my Harley.

I think that's the way that makes the LEAST sense! It can be done... a guy camped next to me last year who came on a motorcycle. (well sort of a motorcycle - it was a BMW, not a Harley).
It sucked to be him! He had shit for food, no washing facilities, not much to drink, a tiny, hot tent, and was actually happy when it was over.
Also worth mentioning, the playa is corrosive, and not nice to machinery. Don't bring a vehicle you are particularly attached to. ONE year, out of about seven, I used my nicest truck... never again! Things will get rusty. What you want is a rental, or something mechanically sound but otherwise disposable.
If you're able to hook up with a camp that will cover your needs in exchange for camp dues, definitely go for it, otherwise take a larger vehicle or rent one and bring the necessities of life with you to our harsh but wonderful world.
If the Harley is the only thing that's gonna work, an eplayan named mdmf007 had an awesome idea: he said "Great Motorcycle tip -

Go to Uhaul, or another mover and buy the biggest mattress bag. Most motorcycles fit in one with no modification, and you can seal it completely shut."

I know how the playa is, and I'd consider this mandatory if you like your bike at all.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

first time

Postby dancemaker » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi I agree it is best not to wing it. Do a bit of research and look around on the site. Also be sure to read the survival guide. Keep an eye on the posts and I am sure you will come across a camp that sounds right for you. You may want to connect with some of the people in your regional network and meet up with them or contact them in advance as they may have some suggestions for you. I am sure that you will find something.
Dancemaker
Dancing across the Universe
dancemaker

Thank You!

Postby nedhead » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:11 am

Great tip on the mattress bag! I was planing on using a tarp, but the bag is smaller and cheaper! :-).

I have a few leads I'm following up with for a camp to join, but am still looking.

I appreciate the feedback!

Cheers!
-dave
nedhead

Return to 2008 Theme Camps