Is Your Camp having firewood delivered?

Is Your Camp having firewood delivered?

Postby mamagrrl » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:15 pm

Our camp is looking to join up with other camps, who are having firewood delivered. Last year, Radio-Free Valhalla (I think it was) got a good deal and hauled wood in from Reno, splitting it amongst other camps, including us. This year, I can't find them, so am looking for other camps who need firewood.

Does anyone have a deal going already for delivered firewood?
mamagrrl

bump!

Postby Tiahaar » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:43 pm

Me too also! Please PM me if you have info on joining a firewood shipment, I will need a cord for the 'Iron Native'. Thnks :P
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Interested

Postby farticus » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi there, we're interested in collaborating on wood delivery. We probably only need 1 cord. Do you know a good place to get it from?

Thanks
farticus

Postby ygmir » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:05 pm

I may know someone willing to bring firewood, I'm about 200 miles away, though.......
I guess it'd depend on how much he could get for it?
I'd not know where to start, but, if you all could give me a ballpark figure, and, how much is needed, I can ask if he's interested.
Another question would be:
would he need to buy a ticket to get in to deliver, or, meet him at the gate, or, is there a delivery exemption?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:17 am

Firewood.
Because 125 degrees isn't enough.
gyre

Postby mamagrrl » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:47 am

Here's the skinny!

Reno-Tahoe Firewood will deliver firewood TO burning man (the DPW Depot) where you/I can pick it up with a receipt from RTF.
A cord of almond is $420 which is steep for firewood, but maybe not delivered firewood. They won't do half-cords, only full cords.

Their number is 775 787-8841

I have no idea if they're still taking orders, so if they're not, maybe get in touch with the fella above. And no, people delivering things don't have to buy a ticket, or, rather, they'd have to get a delivery ticket which is fully-refundable if they're back out in four hours or less. It's basically a deposit that says, "I'm' not stayin'."

More fire on the playa!
mamagrrl

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:23 am

A cord is 128 cubic feet or 4' by 4' by 8 feet, stacked tightly.
I hope anyone ordering realizes how much wood is being talked about.
gyre

Postby mamagrrl » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:32 am

gyre wrote:A cord is 128 cubic feet or 4' by 4' by 8 feet, stacked tightly.
I hope anyone ordering realizes how much wood is being talked about.

good point.
I happen to live in the hills where the heat is all wood-sourced, so my chainsaw, maul and I are very clear on how big a cord is... and how many fallen oaks it takes to make a cord.

We *will* move through it.
heh.
heh-heh!
mamagrrl

ashes to ashes

Postby Tiahaar » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:48 am

On a similar vein, who's got a good guestimate on the volume of ash created by burning 1 cord of almond firewood? My project can take 15 cu. ft per nightly load and I'm bringing a big metal trash can to shovel away the remains in (RIP). Almond is supposed to be 'very low ash' but ya that's kinda vague...
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby mamagrrl » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:28 am

We ran two burn barrels last year, half cord of wood and ended up with six inches of ash in each. Then again, we burned them HOT, which lessens the amount of ash produced.
mamagrrl

Return to 2008 Theme Camps