80'S CAMP - IS ANYONE INTERESTED?

Postby Papa Thanatos » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:31 am

Alright Shakey, definatly add me to the list. I'll be arriving on Monday, hopfully around mid afternoon (2 - 3 probably)
Tonight, instead of discussing the existence or non-existence of God, they have decided to fight for it. The existence, or non-existence, to be determined by two falls, two submissions, or a knockout. All right boys, let's get to it.
Papa Thanatos

80's it is!`

Postby Erinina7 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:06 pm

Hey, I'm totally down for 80's camp. I'm a newbie and my camp plans fell through, trying to figure out where to stay. So, assuming I can find y'all, count me in!
Erinina7

Burning Since: 2008

Hi Erinina

Postby SHAKEY » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:49 pm

Cool Erinia,

Your in with 80's Camp! Welcome! I will post a flyer at centercamp about our location on the bulletin board and on the BRC map. Hopefully we can all meet up with no problems. I will have a neon color flag over my trailer that says 80's Camp writen in purple... The falg will be green, orange and hot pink camo style. Looking forward to meeting you in BRC! Where are you traveling from? And when are you planning on arriving? Don't forget to bring your 80's wear / outfits... And anything else fun from the 80's! Fun times ahead... Only 9 Days and counting until the party begins!

Stay in touch and we'll see you in Black rock City.

Shakey (The Duck Man - Pretty in Pink)
SHAKEY

Postby couglite » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:56 pm

hey I kind of remember the 80s! I definitely want to party with you guys! I will look out for you! don't forget the Springsteen Born in the USA, but throw in some Love & Rockets, Ministry and Bauhaus - I will bring some down, but all I have is an mp3 player - will this work? we will be at BRC on monday early am! I got my flourescent yellow socks! woohoo
couglite

80'S CAMP

Postby SHAKEY » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:11 pm

Couglite,

I'll be rolling in Monday in the hopefully early afternoon... Bring some of your 80's stuff on CD if possible... LOVIN' THE NEON YELLOW SOCKS!Looking forward to havin' a few frosty ones on the playa with you.

C-ya
SHAKEY

So there!

Postby Erinina7 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:06 am

Awesome! Can't wait. I'm flying from New York to Sacramento and then driving from there. Though I'm originally from Minneapolis. I don't have anything too big, just my tent and I guess the JEEP style car I'm renting (do I park that somewhere special, or just next to my tent...can't seem to find that info). I'm a virgin, so besides my reading the guide every night to fall asleep, any advice is always welcome! I'm so excited! Our camp is gonna be mad heavy. Can't wait to be a part of it all! Finally my hot pink hoops will be in again! Love and Peace dudes!
Erinina7

shade at 80s camp

Postby whitelily » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:43 am

Hey guys, my friends and I are probably joining 80s camp too and want to know if any of you guys want to help us build a shade structure. We don't have much, but will try to bring whatever folding chairs / tarps and ropes we can scrounge up, maybe if other people have stuff too we can pool it together and create some shelter sometime monday afternoon? Let me know!
best,
Lil

ps--I used to be an 80s DJ, can't wait for the impromptu dance party
whitelily

LIKE OH MY GOD...

Postby SHAKEY » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:21 pm

LIKE OH MY G@D... TOTALLY...

Erinina - Whitelily

Thanks so much for the follow-up... A shade structure is always a good idea on the playa... I don't have any materials other then a few tarps to offer... I do have a small pop up shade tent structure that I will bring. But I will help in any way that I can...

Erinina- We can figure out parking. Usually we will just park somewhere in or around our camp.

My few jewls of advice... bring some sugical masks. The ones dentists / doctors use... They cover your nose & mouth and have a loop string that hooks around your ears. They are the best for dust storms. If you have any friends in the medical / dental fields they can grab you some... Or you can buy em at a medical supply store. They are much much better then construction type masks and they can fold and fit in your pocket. Also some good gogles. I've seen people in ski gogles but if you can find the smaller style very simalar to swimming gogles they work great. You'll be in good shape when we get hit with a big dust storm... Bandanas are also great to have with you... Will you have a bike? Black Rock City is a big place... You can certainly walk but a bike or small scooter makes getting around more simple. Bring lots of water... I bring 24 pack cases of Nestle's water from Wal-Mart (Only $3.88 a case) and I bring packets of Lipton lemon tea to mix in... Nothin' like it on hot day... It's going to be a great time! I am happy to help or point you in the right direction or just enjoy a few frosty one with everyone! 80's Camp is going to be like totally awesome to the max... Like... I'm killin' myself... So anyway were gettin close... 8 days and counting until the 80's party begins! See you all soon.

Stay in touch al :D

Shakey (The Duck Man)
Pretty in Pink
SHAKEY

Postby fenwick » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:03 pm

SHAKEY

check the Private Messages (PMs) on the forum, you might be missing posts from people trying to get in touch with you.

(PMs are accessable at the top of the page - look for the following options)

Watched Topics FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Manage Contacts Profile Many new messages

Fenwick
fenwick

80's CAMP?

Postby djjuicyjay » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:46 am

Well if you do an 80's camp I can come DJ, I can play requests, I have soo much 80's music I could play all week and never play the same song twice! I normally play more electro-house music but I can do it all baby! Hit me up!
SUPERSTAR DJ *JUICYJAY*

www.myspace.com/juicyjayiselectro
www.myspace.com/juicyjay

JASON REGOS on FACEBOOK
djjuicyjay

Postby SHAKEY » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:12 am

DJ-JJ,

I have our music covered... But thanks for the offer.

Shakey
SHAKEY

Postby SHAKEY » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:23 pm

**8 days and counting until the 80's Camp party begins... Oh Yah!!

Shakey (The Duck Man) 8)
SHAKEY

Postby Gage » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:42 pm

We'll be stopping by!! Love 80's music!! :)
"Not everyone who is single is lonely; not everyone who is taken is in love." I'm a seeker of (& full participant in) present-moment magic, and nothing beats playa love! <3
Gage

Camp Name: Shadyvil

Postby Siliconwolf » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:53 pm

I know it's super last-minute, but is there room for one more?

I'm a 3x veteran burner (going on 4) coming in from Chicago. My previous theme camp plans just fell through... argh... so now I'm looking for a new home. Anything with this much '80s stuff around sounds totally awesome!
Siliconwolf

8 days!~

Postby Tiffanie5366 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:23 pm

Can't wait! Not only do I have tons of 80's outfits...the music is what I am really looking forward to!

See you all soon!!

Florecent Pink is awesome!
"Peace & Prosperity to you, your families,
and everything you own."
Tiffanie5366

Postby Papa Thanatos » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:25 pm

Alright Shakey, tomorrows the last chance i'll get to check my computer before jetting off so just want to double check where your hoping to set up camp? I'll check the the flyers on the Bulletin Board when I get there but i'd just like a heads up before I go.
Tonight, instead of discussing the existence or non-existence of God, they have decided to fight for it. The existence, or non-existence, to be determined by two falls, two submissions, or a knockout. All right boys, let's get to it.
Papa Thanatos

80's Camp

Postby SHAKEY » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:38 pm

Hey Papa,

Well... Have a safe journey to Black Rock City... As Far as the 80's Camp location goes, the goal is to be in the 2:30 to 4:30 range... And I'm targeting from Bonneville to Fairlane. If we are lucky I will get a corner
spot. Look for the Neon Green, Pink and Orange camo Flag. It will be around 25ft high above my 18 foot white trailer. It will say 80's Camp in purple letters. I will post flyers and highlite and mark an 80's camp locator on the BRC map once I get the spot.

I hope that helps. Looking forward to meeting everyone on the playa!
Good times ahead at 80's Camp. 5 days... Count 'em... Only 5 days until the party begins! Stay in touch all... We're down to it!

Shakey (The Duck Man - Pretty In Pink) 8)
SHAKEY

Pink! Pink! Pink!

Postby Tiffanie5366 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:07 pm

I'm ready...I'm ready....Is it time yet? Are we there yet?
and everything you own."
Tiffanie5366

Re: Pink! Pink! Pink!

Postby fenwick » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:16 pm

Tiffanie5366 wrote:I'm ready...I'm ready....Is it time yet? Are we there yet?

Hey Tiffanie5366 - feet walking on air here - might see you on the way to BRC- leaving Sonoma around noon on Sunday.

Looking forward to a week of chaos and relaxation chasing the burning spirit - who knows what can happen :shock:

Everybody - have a safe journey - take it easy, rest before, take breaks on the way and get ready to have a fun time- no matter what bliss you chase next week.

Fenwick
fenwick

80'S CAMP

Postby SHAKEY » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi 80's Campers!

The first year of 80's Camp in BRC... Great times! I can't wait to meet you all. Let's just put our daily stresses out of our minds and enjoy the creativity of Black Rock City.

4 days (PINCH ME!) and counting until the party begins... Has it really been a year?!

Shakey (The Duck Man - "Pretty In Pink") :D
SHAKEY

Postby fenwick » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:37 pm

Instead of a pinch - Shakey - will offer you a nice stiff drink and we can toast too the 80's, more then once I suspect.

Gifts all packed in the RV

Last food and supply run to be done in the morning

A TB drive and laptoip of tunes ready to go - (we can trade off selections (I looked for your requested Elvis Costello and so far no luck - but haven't given up just yet)

Lights and lasers for our small setup stowed on the "Dream Machine"

Suntan lotion and lip balm - check!

Getting closer to leaving behind the default world for a beautiful romp over the Sierras, thru the Northern Nevada Desert until we reach home late/early Sunday.

tick tick tick tock, tick tick tock.....
fenwick

Postby Tiffanie5366 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:38 pm

As Dr. Suess would say if he dare...To Burning Man I go....to see great art is like watching a good show.....Only those who dare...have odd color hair and as we all become a fool..... we know at Burning Man there is no pool... so as we are all geting close....I myself will not begin to boast...that there are only 4 days left.....all bikes are ready so we hope there's no theft....because BM is so big.....we can not ride our pot belly pig....it is not rude at Burning Man to stare....so when I get there I know I will see you there!!!

4 days and counting!
and everything you own."
Tiffanie5366

too late to join

Postby ShinKiraZero » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:03 am

hey shakey, it is too late to join your camp? I love 80's stuff so hopefully you still have room. This is my first time, so don't know much of how things will actually work when i get there, but if i am planning on arriving friday morning is that too late...will there not be any more room in your camp?
Shin Sekai ga kita...
ShinKiraZero

Re: too late to join

Postby fenwick » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:46 pm

ShinKiraZero wrote:hey shakey, it is too late to join your camp? I love 80's stuff so hopefully you still have room. This is my first time, so don't know much of how things will actually work when i get there, but if i am planning on arriving friday morning is that too late...will there not be any more room in your camp?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Not speeking on behalf of Shakey...)

Arriving Friday?

Look back in the thread - It seems that the unofficial 80's theme camp (Unofficial because it is not listed as an existing theme camp), will be located around 2:30 and the G and H Street area (see street map links!). Since there is no reserved spot, this is the best I can provide a description of the region to look for - but look for the flag/banner that Shakey refers to in his posts as a sign of his location. The "camp" will just appear around that area as people arrive and set their squats.

Chances are their might be room for tent and other needs, but might have to park the car down the road near the perimeter. This of course all depends on attendence. Last year - this region was wide open with lots of room.

I guess we will see you when we see you - sometime Friday - look for the folks whom are covered in dust, and seriously bronze tans. :wink:

Have a safe pilgrimage....

Fenwick
fenwick

80'S CAMP

Postby SHAKEY » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:30 pm

ShinKiraZero,

I don't see a problem with you joining us on Friday at the one & only true 80's Camp. And thanks to Fenwick for the follow-up info... And he is right on the money with his advice. Oh, one reminder... Bring your 80's wear or outfits... You know all that cool neon, checkered, color spattered, lace trimmed, acid washed, outrageous, Back to the future, Madonna, Breakfast Club, Sixteen candles, Fast Times @ Ridgemont High, Billy Idol, Pretty In Pink, Cyndi Lauper clothing that you so badly want to wear again. See you there!

Okay 80's campers... Dare I say it?
Only 2... TWO ... dose... 2 days and counting until the party begins. YIKES

Good times ahead in BRC! 8)

Shakey (The Duck Man - "Pretty In Pink")
SHAKEY

AArrg

Postby lokione » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:58 am

I need to find some 80s clothes pronto!
lokione

Postby oldsalty » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:28 am

Hey Shakey, the 80's we're good to me, would love to relive it. I am arriving late monday/early tuesday. Is their room in your camp for one more (1st timer) also
Old Salty
oldsalty

Postby SHAKEY » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:00 am

Oldsalty

Sure you can join us... Hopefully we will have enough space. 80's camp is growing everyday. 1 1/2 days and counting... I should start counting down in hours now... 39 hours and counting until the party begins.

C-ya all in BRC Monday.

Shakey
SHAKEY

Postby Siliconwolf » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:19 am

Shakey, do we have a rough head count for the camp so far?

FWIW, I'll be arriving Tuesday evening, hopefully around sunset.

It would be nice if we could find a spot in the vicinity of 3:30-4:00 and E-ish. I have friends in some of the theme camps in that area.
Siliconwolf

Postby fenwick » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:31 pm

According to the forum stats:

This thread has 58 posts with 1623 "reads" - which will get you a funny look if you really desire serioous factual information, like a head count.

There is no way to really get an idea of actual participants at the actual spot of the UNofficial 80's camp. Many will camp elsewhere, and seek and find the group - or at least the spot Shakey has located for himself.

Shakey might have an idea via PMs received. However - committing and actually finding someone at the city are two different things. There is no moon at night except after 4AM. If you arrive at night, hunker down and relaxe till the morning.

If I see the banner in the area - I will go introduce myself to Shakey, and then head off to Center Camp and register his location on the appropriate bulliton board - that is the best I can do - otherwise its like a treasure hunt or close to finding a needle in a hay stack, but it is possible to meet and hook up. Remember - anywhere between 2:30 and 3:30 (spokes) and depending upon reserved areas, perimter road to about D- Street.

I will be on Gremlin about 100 yards from the intersection at 2:30 - heading to 3:00 on the "mountain side", facing "the man". Arriving with the first wave of gate crashers at midnight on Sunday (Monday morning) - look for the mirror ball on the RV shining out from the roof - and at a reasonable decible level - 80's music (go figure). That is about as concrete as I can provide. Shakey has provided clues as to what too look for to find him, like the banner/flag pole and a description of it. He has also provided the best possible description of his target area for squating.

80's camp this year is UNofficial, meaning there is no reserved spot designated for it - as of Midnight Sunday, According to relevant and pertinent information provided via BM organization - all open areas are free to claim (unless reserved and even that might be included) by first arrival.

I ussually show up - mark a spot for the space we need, set up some of the camp as the adrenaline from the drive wears off, get some rest - and then Monday morning greet the nieghhbors and complete the camp requirements.

Next year - might be different - a designated reserved area specific for a theme camp. Along with organization befitting a theme camp.

If things go well - in the area that Shakey has eluded too - as his targeted spot, this area is slow to fill. Chances are people will show up and find "the spot". They might be encouraged to unload the car of gear, set camp, then park the vehicle on the permiter of the camp - to be clear, perimeter of the camp as a wind block, not the perimeter of the city.

Those with RVs might be nice to hear from you so the group knows just how many RVs are involved and used as wind blocks. I am sure there be some generators, and those should be placed appropriately as to keep noise and exhaust at a minimum.

Do not stress over the little things. The goal is to have fun, make friends, have fun, drink lots of hootch, make friends, and celebrate in any way - the 80's - all while having fun.

Theme camps with a small dedicate group of participants are much better then theme camps with 100's of so-called volunteers. I am sure by the end of the week - we (oops... :oops: ) I mean Shakey will have a much better idea for the future.

My last review and post on this subject will be at about 11:30 AM Sunday and very shortly after that - we head out for a liesurely drive through the Napa and central valley, around Sacrademento, over the Sierras and thru the desert to BRC (home) we go.... (Gas stop in Reno or Sparks, I do not have faith that Nixon or the other smaller cities on 447 still have gas service due to the wonderful economy.)

Drive safe all - looking forward to putting a face with a name during the week as well.

Peace,

Fenwick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shakey - hope you do not mind my being involved and answering - if your like me - your busy loading and I took a quick break to review two threads and answer any hanging questions - this is your show - I am only helping out where I can.
fenwick

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Theme Camps