Jewish burners from all over the world?

Postby moshe! » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:11 pm

thirt33n wrote:hey!
I just found out that I most likley have Ashkenazi blood. no shit! Just a tiny bit, but hey!
I better check into this tray sachs shit.

Tay sachs is actually no joke. If you are a carrier and you have a kid with a carrier you will birth a child that will definately die by age five but not before going blind and deaf and losing the ability to swallow and becomign parylized as well as pure agonizing pain. So you really SHOULD check it out.
moshe!

Postby thirt33n » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:22 pm

moshe! wrote:
thirt33n wrote:...white, like jews?

Is that serious? Jews are white but obviously not white enough for some. Just ask the white pride movement how white we are. But jews are also, ethopian, persian, iraqi, morrocan, yemeni, indian. So no, not white like jews, white like BRC.

yeah, man. I'm serious. I really couldn't give a shit what who anyone is. The american dream is similar for many, i think.

Some want to blend in and succeed and other love sharing their "culture" and beliefs. Some are over sensitive and some are clumsy with their statements. Some believe that opinions are fact and therefore find disagreements and then get upset.

If you tell me you're not "white" that has nothing to do with me.
Some people in this country couldn't tell the difference between a mexican and a chomoro and and israeli. I think that's cool. Those who separate themselves seem to some like they think they are the elite. "i just want you to meet a nice jewish boy" "we don't date white men in our family" "I hate niggers" "greasy spics" "rednecks are stupid" "blah blah"

in my book, those are ALL questionable beliefs. In my book they should all be able to be talked about and if you can't agree then agree to disagree and walk away. see "Ebony and Ivory" by stevie and paul. it's as simple as that really.

just let go cuz ya'aint changin' some peoples minds, i guess?

i'll just hush now,....like i've said ANYTHING that y'all didn't already know. I'm just tryin' to keep from going back to work.....

love,

me

Norwegian, Irish, Austrian(jew), German, redneck, harlem born, cattleranchin', bad ass mutha fukka!
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby moshe! » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:31 pm

thirt33n wrote:
moshe! wrote:
thirt33n wrote:...white, like jews?

Is that serious? Jews are white but obviously not white enough for some. Just ask the white pride movement how white we are. But jews are also, ethopian, persian, iraqi, morrocan, yemeni, indian. So no, not white like jews, white like BRC.

yeah, man. I'm serious. I really couldn't give a shit what who anyone is. The american dream is similar for many, i think.

Some want to blend in and succeed and other love sharing their "culture" and beliefs. Some are over sensitive and some are clumsy with their statements. Some believe that opinions are fact and therefore find disagreements and then get upset.

If you tell me you're not "white" that has nothing to do with me.
Some people in this country couldn't tell the difference between a mexican and a chomoro and and israeli. I think that's cool. Those who separate themselves seem to some like they think they are the elite. "i just want you to meet a nice jewish boy" "we don't date white men in our family" "I hate niggers" "greasy spics" "rednecks are stupid" "blah blah"

in my book, those are ALL questionable beliefs. In my book they should all be able to be talked about and if you can't agree then agree to disagree and walk away. see "Ebony and Ivory" by stevie and paul. it's as simple as that really.

just let go cuz ya'aint changin' some peoples minds, i guess?

i'll just hush now,....like i've said ANYTHING that y'all didn't already know. I'm just tryin' to keep from going back to work.....

love,

me

Norwegian, Irish, Austrian(jew), German, redneck, harlem born, cattleranchin', bad ass mutha fukka!

Shit man, Im not trying to change the world. Im simply saying fuck you to someone who talks about jewish women like that. So yeehaw. See you at the burn and we can make fun of non existant minorites together.
moshe!

Postby MozyBonz » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:40 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:I usually find young jewish women really hot, but largely impossible to be around for protracted periods. This was apropos to nothing.

I think you should reread the post moshe. Put your tongue in your cheek this time.
MozyBonz

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:41 pm

So no generalizations ever ring true?

Maybe.
None of my new york jewish friends ever offer me anything to eat, they are all superb drivers and they all dropped out of high school.
And their mothers never worry about them.
When I was in germany, everyone was stunningly flexible and no one ever told me the right way to do things.
In the uk, no one wanted to tell me what a shit job our president was doing.
And they never offered me a pint.
And I never found a friendly face in austria.

I was recently accused of being a racist for saying a kid spoke well, who was black.
I stood by my statement.
I have been forced to do public speaking under stress and I can tell you it is not a casual skill for most people.
And have you met high school kids these days?
Some of them are practically non-verbal.
A friend's daughter can go weeks without saying anything but 'Meh'.
So I appreciate the skill.

A japanese friend told me the saying,
"Put ten japanese in a room and they will try to take over a small country.
Put ten chinese in a room and they will throw a party."
She says there is enough truth there to be funny.

I'm not defending Teo's statement.
But then, I'm so clueless that it was months before I found out my best friend in high school was jewish.
And he was head of the city-wide jewish student group or whatever it was called, so not what you call non-observant.
More recently, I had a friend with a very obvious jewish name.
We were hanging out on a pretty steady basis for a long time and I never realized he was jewish until he mentioned it once.
There must be a joke in there somewhere.

I have often wondered at the cause of anti-semitism, and the only explanation I have ever heard was from europe and it referred to resentment of separatism by jewish villages.
It seems many groups in proximity develop animosity which is baffling to outsiders.

I think if you take the time to get to know people as individuals, you can always find a valid reason to hate them for who they really are.
gyre

Postby moshe! » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:48 pm

MozyBonz wrote:
Teo del Fuego wrote:I usually find young jewish women really hot, but largely impossible to be around for protracted periods. This was apropos to nothing.

I think you should reread the post moshe. Put your tongue in your cheek this time.

Ive been an idiot before (recently even) But unless I missed something gaping , its still pretty assholish. Even is its "apropos to nothing". Tell me what I missed and Ill go ahead and kill myself for the good of the colony.
moshe!

Postby moshe! » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:52 pm

gyre wrote:So no generalizations ever ring true?

Maybe.
None of my new york jewish friends ever offer me anything to eat, they are all superb drivers and they all dropped out of high school.
And their mothers never worry about them.
When I was in germany, everyone was stunningly flexible and no one ever told me the right way to do things.
In the uk, no one wanted to tell me what a shit job our president was doing.
And they never offered me a pint.
And I never found a friendly face in austria.

I was recently accused of being a racist for saying a kid spoke well, who was black.
I stood by my statement.
I have been forced to do public speaking under stress and I can tell you it is not a casual skill for most people.
And have you met high school kids these days?
Some of them are practically non-verbal.
A friend's daughter can go weeks without saying anything but 'Meh'.
So I appreciate the skill.

A japanese friend told me the saying,
"Put ten japanese in a room and they will try to take over a small country.
Put ten chinese in a room and they will throw a party."
She says there is enough truth there to be funny.

I'm not defending Teo's statement.
But then, I'm so clueless that it was months before I found out my best friend in high school was jewish.
And he was head of the city-wide jewish student group or whatever it was called, so not what you call non-observant.
More recently, I had a friend with a very obvious jewish name.
We were hanging out on a pretty steady basis for a long time and I never realized he was jewish until he mentioned it once.
There must be a joke in there somewhere.

I have often wondered at the cause of anti-semitism, and the only explanation I have ever heard was from europe and it referred to resentment of separatism by jewish villages.
It seems many groups in proximity develop animosity which is baffling to outsiders.

I think if you take the time to get to know people as individuals, you can always find a valid reason to hate them for who they really are.

I notice that the generalizations you use are all fairly benign and all refer to groups rather uneffected by prejudice. MAkeyour post more exciting by making the same list about jews, black people , latinos and gay people and the generalizations often lobbed at them. Not as fun huh?
moshe!

Postby MozyBonz » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:56 pm

moshe! wrote:
MozyBonz wrote:

Ive been an idiot before (recently even) But unless I missed something gaping , its still pretty assholish. Even is its "apropos to nothing". Tell me what I missed and Ill go ahead and kill myself for the good of the colony.

Only this ~don't take things so seriously on this board.
MozyBonz

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:01 pm

moshe! wrote:I notice that the generalizations you use are all fairly benign and all refer to groups rather unaffected by prejudice. Make your post more exciting by making the same list about jews, black people , latinos and gay people and the generalizations often lobbed at them. Not as fun huh?
You are joking, right?
gyre

Postby fciron » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:04 pm

I am coming a little late to the party but I think there is some confusion here between race and genetics. Race is basically a culturally determined concept - regional appearances tend to be distributed across a scale with somewhat arbitrary lines drawn between the races. Genetics is about DNA - a measurable, physical, testable thing. People of Ashkenazi descent are susceptible to Tay-Sachs and have higher rates of lactose intolerance than the general population. This is a genetic difference. It does not make us a race, it is caused by a lack of intermarriage with the general population. This was a cultural choice and was maintained by a complex set of dietary and other rules put in place during the diaspora. Basically, observant Jews had to marry each other because their new goyish spouse would not be able to maintain a proper household.

I guess that what I am getting at is that genetic differences can be real and exist and even have cultural roots. In my way of thinking this demystifies "race". Race is a fundamentally irrational concept. An understanding of genetics allows us to discuss some of these issues in a rational way.

A similar discussion of culture might allow us to discuss generalizations without the need to piss on each others shoes.

I once went out with a Vietnamese woman, when I showed up at her parents' house for dinner in my new winter coat her mom immediately asked how much I paid for it. I told her the price and that it was on sale (I am Jewish after all.) Her mother immediately came back with "Oh, you should have talked to me first, we have an uncle who could have gotten it for you wholesale."

There were a lot of amusing incidents along the same lines. My father and I had a running joke that the Vietnamese were one of the lost tribes.

So perhaps the generalizations made about Jews might be more correctly made about recent immigrants. Once we recognize that there are rational explanations for these generalizations they become manageable. We can also recognize that they frequently contain some truth without letting them become damaging.

Of course, all of this requires that the discussion involve rational people who actually want to get along. :twisted:
fciron

Postby thirt33n » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:53 pm

well said.

nice coat. :)
blow.
thirt33n

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:24 am

Funny, your avatar doesn't look jewish.

I'm just tired of this stereotyped cliche about generalizations, that for some vague reason stereotypes are bad and taboo.

It is important to understand how our brains work.
It is in making generalizations and leaps in logic that we are able to not be as stupid as a computer search engine.
It is only bad when we mistake a generalization for something else.
This is a paradox of logic that can cause errors in thinking.

Our brain leaps to the most specific information possible.
The most accurate information will be the least specific.

There are things we know.
There are things we think we know.
There are things we know and can prove.
And in this case, there are things that we think might be true.
Intelligence is in knowing the difference.

But generalizations and leaps in logic are why we aren't all dumb as bricks.

This probably isn't all that clear.
For example, I caught a fast glimpse of a certain color car between traffic over my shoulder.
I think I recognized the shape of the rear pillars as a fairly rare car.

My thought is that I know the owner of the car from a local club and from a car forum I'm on.
I also assume that it may be someone else on the forum, and there is an additional assumption that this will be someone I either know or would like if I did.

1. Fact- I saw a rare color usually specific to that car and might have seen the car I recognize.

2. Likely- I actually did see the car I think, a miracle of the brain anyway.

3. Possible- It actually belongs to the person I think it does. Might not. It could belong to anyone, in fact.

But it is actually useful to me to link the car to my friend, if it's true.

Much of journalism and detective work operates this way, as does everything else.
Confusing possibilities with facts is a different problem.
And, of course, it helps to start with the most sensible leaps possible.

What do I know about fciron?
I know he's a burner and seems of good cheer.
Now I know he thinks he's jewish or is, at least, pretending to be.
I think he's interested in metal work.

Due to his Louisville location, I can leap to the possibility that he might have visited or even worked at our Metal Museum here on the river.
Which leads to a less likely possibility that I might have met him there.
But, as you see, the more specific the thought, the less likely.
The more general, the more likely to be accurate.
gyre

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:28 am

what is the difference between a Jewish American Princess and a bowlful of Jello?

ans: The Jello moves when you eat it.

i'm sorry, i couldnt resist, i have no self control....you can slap me now.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby thirt33n » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:59 am

:lol:

I love you Simon.

Hey, Moshe! Did you think that joke was funny? I'm curious to know.
blow.
thirt33n

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:47 am

**bows**

**then curtseys**

thank you....it's nice to know that others can find the funny side of the street.

even if it's a terrible terrible joke....

believe or not, my father is worse....

an example: The VERY first day i got my drivers license at age 16 i begged him to let me drive the car by myself.

i went to a local mall...(of course, remember, jimmy carter was prez, and malls were still funky fresh)

i pulled into a spot and WHAM.....i hit the lightpole.

my heart sunk...i thought "shit, i will NEVER get to drive again"..

finally, after an hour or so of moping, i called my dad to tell him.

"dad"

"yeah"

"um"

"how's the car"

"UM"

"what happened?"

"um, i hit a pole"

***long pause***

"So, What was his name?"....

that one kills me every time.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby moshe! » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:15 pm

thirt33n wrote::lol:

I love you Simon.

Hey, Moshe! Did you think that joke was funny? I'm curious to know.

no but not becuase im offended, but becuase it wasnt terribly funny. Now believe it or not Im all for making fun of people from other races/strata/sex orientation just as long as its funny and not just being an idiot. Hypocrite? Maybe.
moshe!

Postby thirt33n » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:52 pm

nothing wrong with differing senses of humor....

I don't really tell jokes about blacks, poles, jews, mexicans and all. I do laugh at them, however. (when they're funny to me)

I have my problems with people who in my opinion are being over sensitive which is most likely why i even jumped in on this thread.

...yeah, it's usually hard line minority types who would rather defend with fire than ask your name and smile.

You could talk shit about my mom for all I care and she's more important than anything like a religion or race.
sticks and stones homey.

Gimmie a good joke moshe!

or don't

hugs around
blow.
thirt33n

Postby fciron » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:18 pm

gyre wrote:Funny, your avatar doesn't look jewish.

What do I know about fciron?
I know he's a burner and seems of good cheer.
Now I know he thinks he's jewish or is, at least, pretending to be.
I think he's interested in metal work.

Due to his Louisville location, I can leap to the possibility that he might have visited or even worked at our Metal Museum here on the river.
Which leads to a less likely possibility that I might have met him there.
But, as you see, the more specific the thought, the less likely.
The more general, the more likely to be accurate.

That is some very nice deduction. The closest you came to being wrong was in your most general guess. I just went to my first regional last weekend. So right up until Thursday night my status as a burner was questionable.

You may have seen my avatar at Wally's shop-raising.

I did work at the Metal Museum from '94-'96. Then I worked with Charlie for a year before I moved back to Louisville. I was there for the first BBQ cooker show and I have the invitation to the third on my desk right now. I am very bad about making it back for events. If we meet on the playa please give me a swift kick in the ass so that I will show up for repair days.

Thanks,

Lewis
fciron

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:11 pm

Transformus?

There is a very good chance we at least met at the museum at some point, or at one of the openings.
I hope you make it down some time.
We'll be firing cannon at my friend's metal shop on the 4th, if you're inclined.

There is supposed to be a very old jewish wedding tradition in europe of inviting someone to weddings to insult the guests.
It is suggested that this may be the origin of standup comedy.
It must mean something culturally that people found this entertaining.
gyre

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:37 pm

moshe! wrote:I notice that the generalizations you use are all fairly benign and all refer to groups rather unaffected by prejudice.

Benign and unaffected? After the incredible genocide in china by the japanese?
I've had chinese folks hug me after I told that joke.
Every group has it's unique sensitivity.

I was taught about ethnic humour by a polack friend when I was a teenager.
I follow his belief that there is nothing wrong with a joke that isn't meant to be vicious.

moshe! wrote:Make your post more exciting by making the same list about jews, black people , latinos and gay people and the generalizations often lobbed at them. Not as fun huh?
You say that like I won't do it!
I can and do.
When I was dying in the icu, I told jokes about my own death.
You think I won't joke about anything?

I do try to respect people's special sensitivities.
But even in an ethnic group, they vary from one person to another.

I have my own and mostly find related jokes unfunny, because they show no imagination.
Yet I have found myself laughing at some very inappropriate jokes, in relation to myself, because they were very clever.
Funny is funny.

I love big cats so when I was in Las Vegas years ago, I went to see the tiger show with Siegfried and Roy.
It was the most incredible illusion I've ever seen!
For the briefest moment, on stage, they both appeared to be heterosexual.
gyre

Postby fciron » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:12 am

Scorched Nuts in Southern Ohio.
fciron

Postby gyre » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:40 pm

I hope that's a regional and not a complaint.
I never heard of that one.
gyre

Postby fciron » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:02 pm

This is the second year for Scorched Nuts. I think it got a couple of hundred folk.

Small was good. I got to work the gate and help fuse the fireworks for the effigy and get into just about everything.

I did get some sunburn on my shoulders jump starting my neighbor's car during exodus. My nuts are happy, thanks for asking.
fciron

Friday services

Postby BloodVessel » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:02 am

Racheltoba,

Come find us at the Blood Vessel / Rue Morgue camp. We will be looking for a shabbot service as well/

We also are building The Temple of Community. Its a non denominational temple and it has all sorts working on it but were a good group to hang with.

If you want to touch base you can email me at Gothalot@bloodvessel.org or TempleOfCommunity.com
Gothalot
Creator-BloodVessel-Rue Morgue
BloodVessel

Shabbos

Postby foolsfolly » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Hey Everybody,

There will be shabbos gatherings. Stay tuned for more info.

shalom v'ahava,

Menachem
"If a fool would persist in his folly he would become wise." William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell
foolsfolly

Shabbat on Friday at Entheon

Postby veleda » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:17 pm

Pantheogenesis Temple within Entheon Village will be hosting a Shabbat on Friday night. :)
veleda

shabbos!!!

Postby foolsfolly » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:21 pm

Sukkat Shalom has a bunch of shabbos activities in the works

shalom v'ahava,

Menachem
"If a fool would persist in his folly he would become wise." William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell
foolsfolly

Bar Mitzva

Postby Zipper » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:58 pm

There will also be an adult Bar Mitzva ceremony Saturday mid morning open to all at our camp "Miss Vah's Bar" (not a theme camp) followed by, of course, a party!

Since we are not a theme camp, we won't know where, exactly, we will be camped until we get there. We will be in touch with Menachem with the location at that time.
Zipper

Postby Dervish » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:42 am

My camp, Sukkat Shalom, is holding open Friday night services followed by a big potluck dinner.

Services at 6.30pm, dinner at 8pm.

love
Dervish
Dervish

Postby gyre » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:46 pm

We just had a kosher BBQ festival here.
(And here that doesn't mean it was cooked near heat, it means real barbecue.)
How cool is that?

Does this happen anywhere else?
gyre

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Theme Camps