Out of Africa, 1875-1907 [Victorian theme camp-unregistered]

Postby fciron » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:30 am

Kinetic V wrote:I don't know about the everyone else but skimming that massive board at least 2x during the event is another integral part of my playa experience. And the board does work quite effectively, IMHO.

Sir,

I have not been to this conglomeration in the desert and I have not used the board in question. I was not suggesting that Miss Filson eschew the use of the Center Camp Message Board. I was merely suggesting some more focused strategies for reaching interested and sympathetic parties.

I fully expect that my Burning Man experience will be, in large part, informed by things that I have not heard of and perhaps never even conceived of. I shall take your advice and peruse the board a few times to see what looks interesting or enlightening.

Yours is also the first statement I have seen about using the message board that did not end with the advice "...and hope for the best."
fciron

Postby gyre » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:51 am

There are a lot of promotional ideas out there.
One of the best was a snap bracelet for a party and I recall glow in the dark thingies for the wrist too.
Cards, flyers, keys and so on.
I think I have seen some boards elsewhere around the camp.
That is a good idea anyway.
gyre

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:25 am

I for one am interested in this theme camp..

It seems at one time you could write in you theme camp laocation at Info Camp.. correct me if i'm wrong..

But if the O o A camp would place signs at soe of the steam or kenetic camps "we" would be able connect, "for a jolly good time I say".
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:07 am

I'm sure you still can.
You'd be surprised how many people don't do it, even when they are official theme camps.
It really helps you find people when they bother.

It took me three days to find the camp I was supposed to be with my first year, even though they had a MAILBOX and signs up, they forgot the playa info.
I only found them because of the signs.
Good signs are a great idea- right on the street so they show up at night.
I was settled in with great folks by then.
gyre

Postby stormfeather » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:35 am

See you at Mondo Croquet in a couple weeks Expresso Dude and UnJon!
I'll be bringing a tea service... clean plates, clean plates!

Unjon I missed you at SOAK. didja make it? it was humid as hell, and I handed out an entire bottle of Claritin the pollen count was so high.
We were miserable. I love the playa, no humidity, pollen or bugs!
The sultry proprietresses of the sTEAp tea house managed to convince the savages that hot tea on a hot day was the answer to their prayers. I have to admit I preferred the absineth.

Yes, we should so do Mondo Croquet on the playa... now if I could only talk Lord Peters into making another trek... I'm working on him.

As to long skirtage while bicycling..being thoroughly moderne and only a sometime neo-victorian in dress. I just plan to take the damn thing off, store it in the bike panniers, and ride in bloomers.
I'll put it back on if I feel like when I reach my destination.

Richard -the-Black nearly had a crinoline crushing accident while riding wearing his red number on Tu-tu Tuesday. Lesson learned.
Camp Sietch Grabrear & Shai-Hulud MV
6:00 and Fossil 2009
http://sandworm.tikimojo.com

The Spice Must Flow!
stormfeather

For the Crown - India to Africa and back to the New World

Postby miimno » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:38 pm

I shall second Dusza Beben - and all others from The Bomb Bay Tea Company (Gin drinkers and dry alike) - in welcoming our fellows steeped in civilisation.
miimno

Re: For the Crown - India to Africa and back to the New Worl

Postby Dusza Beben » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:58 pm

miimno wrote:I shall second Dusza Beben - and all others from The Bomb Bay Tea Company (Gin drinkers and dry alike) - in welcoming our fellows steeped in civilisation.

And I shall third...

Ah.

bollucks...

DB
Agripunk,
For the angry farmer in all of us.
Dusza Beben

Victorian women and bikes

Postby Marscrumbs » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:43 pm

fciron wrote:Let me be the first from the BBT Co. to welcome you. Well-armed and self-sufficient Ladies are always welcome for tea.

As for bicycles, the used to make something called girl's bike. It had a step through frame to allow it to be ridden while wearing a skirt. I think they are still available. (I am only half being sarcastic, you really don't see them anymore.) I do not know if this will help with the bustle issue.

I heard on good authority that decent Victorian women would never get on that sinful devise of depravity the bicycle.
Marscrumbs

Re: Victorian women and bikes

Postby Dusza Beben » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:01 pm

Marscrumbs wrote:
fciron wrote:Let me be the first from the BBT Co. to welcome you. Well-armed and self-sufficient Ladies are always welcome for tea.

As for bicycles, the used to make something called girl's bike. It had a step through frame to allow it to be ridden while wearing a skirt. I think they are still available. (I am only half being sarcastic, you really don't see them anymore.) I do not know if this will help with the bustle issue.

I heard on good authority that decent Victorian women would never get on that sinful devise of depravity the bicycle.

And now we know why!

http://imagesforum.doctissimo.fr/mesimages/934024/dildo_bike.jpg

Don't worry, your bustle and hoop skirt will cover up all of that depravity!

DB
Agripunk,
Dusza Beben

Tonic water

Postby Marscrumbs » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:24 pm

I miss the old absinthe bars of yesteryear, but from them I've learned how to make my own absinthe. Has anybody here ever tried making their own tonic water? Heard that real tonic water make Canada Dry look like sacharin. Imbibe magazine supposely did an article on how to do this last year but I haven't read it.

God save the Queen!
Marscrumbs

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:27 am

Any Maasai warriors on the playa? I am thinking of an idea for a raid.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:32 am

I think they all went to Texas for a canned lion hunt.

I could be wrong.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dusza Beben » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:48 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Any Maasai warriors on the playa? I am thinking of an idea for a raid.

I met one in '04. (no joke!) Don't know if he'll be there this year though.

You can get lion in cans now?! Awesome! :wink:

DB
Agripunk,
Dusza Beben

Re: Tonic water

Postby stormfeather » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:12 am

I hereby make a solemn pledge to the community that I will never attempt to DIY tonic water or to knit...

There are plenty of people who already know how to knit and I need not be one of them ( i do admire their skill though and like to pet their resulting sweaters, socks, toilet paper doilies, key fobs and dildo cozies).
I do however collect yarn though and make silly yarn dreads to wear instead of me own locks (which are covered by the dreddy yarn faerie hair) during this little shipwrecked party in the desert or whenever I want weird colored hair... which is becoming quite often, so I dyed mine magenta and purple for Country Faire and i might be keeping it that way for a bit. Great look for job hunting BTW. They will really have to love me...But I digress

... Tonic Water.. .well it comes in convenient bottles already from the grocers.

Expertly Home brewed Absinthe, now I admit to be cultivating a taste for ...I tend to mix it with ginger ale to the horror of purists.

A snack of canned lion on toast points might be in order...Please do invite the Maasai to the Tea House. Free tasseography by me (Tea leaf reading) to all warriors!

[quote="Marscrumbs"]I miss the old absinthe bars of yesteryear, but from them I've learned how to make my own absinthe. Has anybody here ever tried making their own tonic water? Heard that real tonic water make Canada Dry look like sacharin. Imbibe magazine supposely did an article on how to do this last year but I haven't read it.

God save the Queen![/quote]

The Spice Must Flow!
stormfeather

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:33 pm

OFF WITH THERE HEADS.

Sunday I'm off to a Mad Hatters tea party..

Mad as a hatter come from the days every one wore beaver skin hats..

The hatters shops were in the store front of there homes

The hats were made and preserved with formeldihyde. Otherwise they would rot on your head like road kill.. The fumes were through out the store and house.. The hatters and there familys brains were fryed on the stuff..
So, MAd as a hatter

But then again we are all mad, I
say mad..
unjonharley

Postby Zona_the_stona » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:58 pm

unjonharley wrote:OFF WITH THERE HEADS.

Sunday I'm off to a Mad Hatters tea party..

Mad as a hatter come from the days every one wore beaver skin hats..

The hatters shops were in the store front of there homes

The hats were made and preserved with formeldihyde. Otherwise they would rot on your head like road kill.. The fumes were through out the store and house.. The hatters and there familys brains were fryed on the stuff..
So, MAd as a hatter

But then again we are all mad, I
say mad..

Acutally it was Mercury they used weigh down the brim and give it a curve that made the hatter mad..

[quote="wikipedia"] "Mad as a Hatter"
The "10/6" on the Hatter's hat means ten shillings and six pence, the price of the hat in pre-decimalised British money and acts as a visual indication of the hatters trade. The name 'Mad Hatter' was undoubtedly inspired by the phrase "as mad as a hatter". There is some confusion as to the origins of this phrase, however there is scientific evidence behind the link between the hatters and insanity. Mercury was used in the process of curing felt used in some hats. It was impossible for hatters to avoid inhaling the mercury fumes given off during the hat making process. Hatters and mill workers often suffered mercury poisoning as residual mercury vapor caused neurological damage including confused speech and distorted vision.It was not unusual then for hatters to appear disturbed or mentally confused, many died early as a result of mercury poisoning. However, the Mad Hatter does not exhibit the symptoms of mercury poisoning. Principal symptoms of mercury poisoning are “excessive timidity, diffidence, increasing shyness, loss of self-confidence, anxiety, and a desire to remain unobserved and unobtrusiveâ€
Zona_the_stona

Postby flipper » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:26 pm

unjonharley wrote:I for one am interested in this theme camp..

It seems at one time you could write in you theme camp laocation at Info Camp.. correct me if i'm wrong..

But if the O o A camp would place signs at soe of the steam or kenetic camps "we" would be able connect, "for a jolly good time I say".

You can go for the trifecta at info: Post on the signboard, submit on the intranet terminals, and draw on the mega map...

(but shouldn't you be using carrier pidgeons?)

But signs at relatedly themed camps and the nearest signpost would also help.

Making new friends is the best advert however...
Burning Man is about being part of a community. Unfortunately, it's a community of people who can't get up before 1 p.m. - The Onion
flipper

Postby quiltfairy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:39 pm

I realize you asked this question quite a bit ago but I just found it and thought I might have an answer.

I often wear skirts that I love but that are not practical due to them being huge and fluffy and trap easily in the chain and tires. I have found the basket behind the seat to be useful in hiking up the extra (it does show a bit of upper thigh) and trailing it around me and storing it in the basked.

Tricycles are good too!!
quiltfairy

regarding camping at BM

Postby stormfeather » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:03 pm

cfilson: where have you gone off too? I sent you a PM

The Spice Must Flow!
stormfeather

Onwards.. through the trenches..

Postby cfilson » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:00 pm

Yeah, I fell off the map for a while there. Haven't looked at this board in a couple of months. It's gotten over 1800 views, which is pretty amazing!

I have to admit, I'm tired, and seriously thought about throwing in the towel on this whole affair the other day. I have had all kinds of life/work drama, and now it looks like my partner in crime on this venture is flaking and I'll have to do it solo.

Sigh.

I have my ticket. I'm going. I just.. I have two weeks starting this weekend [job ends then], and I'm overwhelmed. I want to really do this idea properly, but it's taken a backseat in light of all the recent shenanigans.

Lame. Very lame and full of excuses, I know. And I'll grit my teeth and forge ahead, I always do. I'm just.. tired.

Your support would be most welcome.

You know what would be a big help and ward off a nervous breakdown? A bicycle. If someone could lend/rent/whatever me a bicycle for whilst I'm there. Some kind of women's bike with upright handlebars. It doesn't have to be pretty.

It would be one less thing to buy/deal with/try to rent a van for. I would REALLY appreciate it, beyond words. Honestly, I think I would kiss you.
C. Filson
finnmoxa1@yahoo.com
Los Angeles, CA
cfilson

Postby stormfeather » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:03 pm

Hang in there, we all have those moments!
Talk with you soon.

The Spice Must Flow!
stormfeather

Postby Dusza Beben » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:24 am

Would that I had an extra bike I would happily share. If your going solo you might want to put the theme on the back burner or scale it way back. Alternatively you could concentrate more on costumes and hang out in the more steampunky camps! If we weren't at capacity I'd say just join us. How much space do you need? Are you set on camping solo? Can't remember the link but you might still be able to set up a playa bike rental.

DB
Agripunk,
Dusza Beben

Postby fciron » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:16 pm

I think that this was in the JackRabbit Speaks, I stole it from Tribe. Hope it helps someone. I also highlighted the rental part.

As Commodore Beben said, I am sure that you will be welcome to hang around in any of the other steampunk camps. There are lots of ways to participate, so don't feel too much pressure about your camp.

THREE BIKE OUTFITS IN RENO-SPARKS - GET A PLAYA BIKE!

There are three bike projects in the Reno-Sparks area which rent or sell bicycles to Burners ... count on getting a trustworthy bike from any of these projects at a VERY fair price!

And, if you do not wish to take a bike all the way home with you, Save Mart Supermarkets and Whole Foods Market in Reno will take them off of your hands as part of their recycling projects, and all of the bikes will then be donated to the Kiwanis Bike Program for Kids! So please do this rather than abandoning them on the playa!

Black Rock Bicycles
7550 Hillview Dr – 775- 972-3336
The only bike outfit in Reno primarily catering to Burners. Brand new durable cruisers for women and men at great prices, for rent or purchase. To make rental arrangements, visit www.blackrockbicycles.com . To buy a bike or bike-accessories (lock, bell, lights, basket, rack), Black Rock Bicycles has also teamed up with three local Save Mart supermarkets to sell new cruisers at the stores, now and through the week of Burning Man. You can also find Black Rock Bicycles for purchase at Prism Magic Clothing. Locations:

Save Mart Supermarket
525 Keystone Avenue, Reno, 775-786-2150
195 West Plumb Lane, Reno, 775-786-0138
565 East Prater Way, Sparks, 775-359-9450

Prism Magic Clothing
2161 Pyramid Way, Sparks, 775-356-5577

Kiwanis Bike Program
2605 Comstock Road - 775-746-9310
Normally a bike program to benefit kids of all ages, the Kiwanis Bike Program receives large numbers of bikes from the region year-round, including bikes deposited by Burners for recycling -- and they set aside used bikes in good condition for Burners to purchase. Visit www.kiwanisbikeproject.org
to purchase and arrange pick-up, or visit the Save Mart supermarket at 525 Keystone Avenue (next to I-80) in Reno during the event. Get them while they last!

Reno Bike Project
250 Bell Street - 775-323-4488
A used-bike seller and community bike shop operated by many Burners, selling used bikes in good condition at great prices. Get them while they last! Check out the website www.renobikeproject.com for further details, or email renobikeproject@gmail.com.
fciron

Not happening until next year..

Postby cfilson » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:31 pm

So.. yeah. Out of Africa won't happen this year. Too many crises. Which fucking sucks.

But I decided to go after all, just.. as myself. Which is lame. But how it goes this time around.

Don't know where we'll be staking our claim, probably just show up and pick something [a friend decided to come with me].

But I will still be a regular at Bomb Bay! And look forward to not only meeting all of you, but kicking your asses at croquet. After I learn how to play, or a moderate amount of liquor. Either is fine.

Out of Africa will be happening next year-- and I probably will register as an official theme camp to not only secure a spot, but to up my ante a little and maybe serve a proper tea to the public, or some such nonsense.

Appreciate all of the support, and see you soon!

Chantal
C. Filson
finnmoxa1@yahoo.com
Los Angeles, CA
cfilson

Postby Ninjen » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:30 pm

Chantal, I'm so sorry you've been going through rough times - I think it's in the air, because the past few weeks have thrown boatloads of crap at me as well. Here's to putting it all behind us as we head out to the Playa!

I'd be very happy to meet you, and any of the BBT crew at some point next week... I'm yet another '08 Virgin who is quite a neo-victorian fan.

I'll be camping with Lipservice in the 9:00 plaza, so if you're in the area, come say hi! Otherwise I'll have to come track you down, whereever you may be... :)

- Ninjen (Winter)
Ninjen

I'm off!

Postby cfilson » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:43 am

My friend's coming in about an hour, and we're off! Driving today [Sunday], staying over in Reno tonight, driving to playa Monday morning.

Really bummed I couldn't pull this off this year.. Sucks. But I'm at least throwing a corset in my bag-- have to represent, somehow.

I'll leave word at the Bomb Bay Tea House [registered theme camp] where to find me, once we get settled. I'd love to talk/meet any other Victorian enthusiasts , and anyone who might be interested in participating in Out of Africa for next year!

This is my last email until I get back, but feel free to text my phone today while we're driving-- 818-269-4145. Should work until Monday morning-ish. Send me your campsite location if you're going, your email address if you aren't & I'll message you next week.

XO!

Chantal
["finnmoxa"]
C. Filson
finnmoxa1@yahoo.com
Los Angeles, CA
cfilson

Postby gyre » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:24 am

You can still take what taste of it you can pack with you this year, and your attitude.
And there's next year.

Go and have a great time!
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

The aftermath..

Postby cfilson » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:09 pm

Just got home.. I'm filthy, and my sunburn is already peeling. Lovely.

You know, I'm actually kind of glad Out of Africa didn't pan out this year, because the weather/dust storms would have obliterated everything I would have brought or built. I wanted to use popup tents draped with muslin and netting-- the popup I did bring [granted, it was crap to begin with] didn't survive past Monday's storm. I would have been homeless, with a carload of destroyed/missing art to contend with-- i.e. nothing left of the theme camp except for maybe the sign. And probably quite upset. So.. I guess it worked out in a way.

I did bring a bustle dress and corset, which I wore a couple of times-- once to visit Bomb Bay & then to a tea in Gigsville. Actually wasn't that hot once I had it on, and the corset wasn't too bad. It was the poor choice of boots that murdered my feet the first time around. Wore my sneakers and shorts underneath to the tea, but the hem dragged/tripped and nearly killed me about 400 times. Was fun to actually put more clothes on and parade fussily past a bunch of naked people.

So.. maybe next year for Out of Africa. The future's pretty unsure at this point, since I was flooded with numerous other costume-y ideas more suited to the harsh climate, but mostly because I think I've decided to move north.

I hate Los Angeles. Burning Man wasn't a life-altering experience for me in that it was a spectacle, because I see that kind of stuff all the time at work [film/tv production] & in the freakshow of Hollywood, albeit on a much smaller scale. It made me realize that I want to do and live more art, rather than emigrating out into the desert for just a week of it. Seeing all those people follow through with their ideas motivated me to do something about my own. I've wasted twelve years here, with nothing to show for it.

And the film industry is poison. It ruins everything and everyone. I want to live in the real world, outside the bubble. I want to be happy!

Considering bay area, maybe near Berkeley or San Francisco.. Have also heard Portland and Seattle are fun.. I'll be making a tour of them in a few weeks, anyhow.

Any ideas? Any fellow Neo-Victorians/Steampunks up there?
C. Filson
finnmoxa1@yahoo.com
Los Angeles, CA
cfilson

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:00 am

Out Of Afica sub theme for ths year.. "Pick en up Bones" As in just got back from a dig..
unjonharley

Re: The aftermath..

Postby Marscrumbs » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:31 pm

cfilson wrote:You know, I'm actually kind of glad Out of Africa didn't pan out this year, because the weather/dust storms would have obliterated everything I would have brought or built.

And why should your camp torment be different than everyone elses?

Considering bay area, maybe near Berkeley or San Francisco.. Have also heard Portland and Seattle are fun.. I'll be making a tour of them in a few weeks, anyhow.

Any ideas? Any fellow Neo-Victorians/Steampunks up there?

Bay area is too crowded. SF. is now just the inner city of the Bay. Portland is great if you can deal with rain also check out Vancouver BC. But if you want a real great Victorian city try Melbourne, Australia
Marscrumbs

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Theme Camps