Out of Africa, 1875-1907 [Victorian theme camp-unregistered]

Out of Africa, 1875-1907 [Victorian theme camp-unregistered]

Postby cfilson » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:31 am

Hey! My friend and I are doing a Victorian-themed camp at Burning Man this year-- Out of Africa, 1875-1907-- a sort of lion safari thing focusing on the styles of those years. We'll have multiple tents, flags flying, furniture, steamer trunks, mosquito netting, bustles, croquet, tea trays and even a parrot cage [fake bird]. I'm a little obsessive..

We decided not to register as an official theme camp, due to several of the requirements, such as being interactive with the public. I'd rather not have to be anywhere at any particular time, this being my first trip to Burning Man and I'd like to wander.

That said, we'd love to find people who are doing something similar-- perhaps we can band together as a sort of compound? Really upset I missed the Neverwas Haul a couple of years ago.. Heard there was an attempt at a cricket match in official whites last year that was foiled by a dust storm.

We already plan on being regulars at the Bomb Bay Tea House, and would love to hear about your steampunk/Victorian/Edwardian venue! We're going for a sort of women's hellfire club thing, and look forward to entertaining visitors! And if anyone has any tips on how to ride a bicycle in a bustle, I'd love to hear it.

C. Filson
finnmoxa1@yahoo.com
Los Angeles, CA
cfilson

Postby fciron » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:05 am

Let me be the first from the BBT Co. to welcome you. Well-armed and self-sufficient Ladies are always welcome for tea.

As for bicycles, the used to make something called girl's bike. It had a step through frame to allow it to be ridden while wearing a skirt. I think they are still available. (I am only half being sarcastic, you really don't see them anymore.) I do not know if this will help with the bustle issue.
fciron

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:57 am

Unregistered theme camp? I'll have the constabulary on you!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Dusza Beben » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:08 am

Welcome ladies,

We are more then honored to have to join us in the cultivating of savages.

For your bustle problem, maybe a two seat-er and a willing servant/slave/Savage to peddle for you. Could be fun finding volunteers.
:D :wink:

Halcyon

OOps posted under DB
Agripunk,
For the angry farmer in all of us.
Dusza Beben

Bustle vs. Bike

Postby cfilson » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:20 am

I'd love a rickshaw, but it's so hard to find orphaned street urchins on the playa. They are so thin and feeble these days..

I'm mainly afraid of skirt trains ending up caught in bike gears. That would be bad. Anyone know of some kind of additional chain guard or whatever that would help? I can't be the only one ever with this problem. And I'll be damned if I'm going to ride a penny farthing around on the playa.
C. Filson
finnmoxa1@yahoo.com
Los Angeles, CA
cfilson

Postby gyre » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:48 pm

I've seen total chain guards but not for derailleur gearsets.
I recently found a 14!! speed rear gearhub that can use a sealed chain.
5-7 speeds is fairly common.
gyre

Postby gidget » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:38 pm

Fabulous idea! Any notion on roughly where you are planing to camp? I'd love to break out my Edwardian garb! (I'm a theatrical costume designer off-playa). I'll pack some this year just in case I run into you while you're playing croquet or having high tea.

Short of finding a period bicycle or rickshaw, I would suggest tucking the hem of your skirt through your legs and into your waistband or belt (bloomer fashion). Perish the thought, I know it is not ladylike or civilized and highly inappropriate, but I argue that the playa itself is not particularly civilized. There is historical documentation of women doing this at least since the 14th century, especially when out in nature and away from civilization. Certainly extreme for the Victorian/Edwardian era, but you don't end up with a torn skirt, a totaled bike and a broken nose. If you have appropriate footwear your ankles won't be that exposed.

:wink:
gidget is gadgety-good!
gidget

A nicely turned ankle...

Postby cfilson » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:32 pm

Hey! Would love more participants! We'll have a mini-bar of sorts and plan to have lots of lazy cocktail/tea parties. I'm going to try to dress up as much as possible, but I'll see how I fare in the heat with a corset on. And I'm obsessed with costume, so please bring items by to share, even if you don't feel like wearing them. I love to see how they're made!

Frankly, I'm not worried about what I'm exposing-- I'll probably be wearing flip flops half the time underneath the dresses. Mainly worried about the bike chain eating my white muslin dresses with black oily teeth.

Have looked at ebay vintage postcards of Victorian women on bikes. Not helpful-- one seemed impervious to the laws of physics, her skirt magically staying put. Only thing I really noticed was that the bike chain/pedals seemed a lot lower than modern versions, but the chain wasn't any more protected.

Eh. Whatever. I'll look into the "sealed" bikechain someone mentioned. Also plan on making bike-friendly 1920s motorcycle-ish jodphurs to wear with some badass brown leather boots I have.

As for where we'll be-- uh, you tell me? Our site will be at least 30'x30' because of the 10x10 tents we're using. As I mentioned, didn't officially register as a theme camp, so we're on our own site-wise.

What exactly IS the deal with picking a site at Burning Man? [never been] Do you just show up and stake your claim like some kind of land rush? Don't mind being farther out on the fringes, maybe it'll be a little quieter. And I don't want to crowd anyone..

??
C. Filson
finnmoxa1@yahoo.com
Los Angeles, CA
cfilson

Skirt Lifters!

Postby Dusza Beben » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:35 am

Hello! The real DB here, looking forward to meeting you on the playa.
We'll have croquet as well, perhaps a round robin tournament is in order! :wink:
There is an entire thread about skirt lifters over on the Steampunk Forum
that you may find usefull for chain avoidance.
http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=6972.0

Virgins! :twisted: There are designated areas for registered theme
camps. Don't set up in one cause you'll just have to move and setting up
twice is just no fun. Other than that it's first come first served.
Do you have any BM vets in your group? If not read the survival guide
at least three times (no joke) and bring appropriate footwear for an alkalai desert.
two days in flip flops and the playa will eat your feet. Playa foot is
bloody painfull and completely avoidable. Lastly, if you should
happen to meet this adventurer:
For God's sake give him a Gin and Tonic!

:D

DB
Agripunk,
Dusza Beben

Re: A nicely turned ankle...

Postby gidget » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:22 am

cfilson wrote:Frankly, I'm not worried about what I'm exposing--

Oh good. I have some historical society nuts in my area that probably would have fainted with me suggesting that. Just testing the waters.

As for where we'll be-- uh, you tell me? Our site will be at least 30'x30' because of the 10x10 tents we're using. As I mentioned, didn't officially register as a theme camp, so we're on our own site-wise.

What exactly IS the deal with picking a site at Burning Man? [never been] Do you just show up and stake your claim like some kind of land rush? Don't mind being farther out on the fringes, maybe it'll be a little quieter. And I don't want to crowd anyone..

Before my camp started registering we would just pick a general area where we wanted to be before going out (and where registered theme camp land wasn't) and when we got there camped as close to the sight as possible. Saved the traipsing around time... we'd start at 4:00 and F for instance and go from there. Easy for campmates not arriving with you to find you that way if you don't make it to playa info in a timely fashion.
gidget is gadgety-good!
gidget

Re: Skirt Lifters!

Postby cfilson » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:04 pm

Dusza Beben wrote:Hello! The real DB here, looking forward to meeting you on the playa.
We'll have croquet as well, perhaps a round robin tournament is in order! :wink:
There is an entire thread about skirt lifters over on the Steampunk Forum
that you may find usefull for chain avoidance.
http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=6972.0

DB

Can I just say how disappointed I was-- that link was not what I thought it would be..

laugh

But thank you-- you've been really helpful, and I love all the recommendations! Also: your pith helmet is fantastic. I nearly bought the same one off of ebay last week, but it just doesn't look the same on a girl.

I think I'll end up doing some sort of unwieldy tuck-n-wrap, which will look as glamorous as it sounds.

As for desert hardship/jacked-up feet-- my friend and I work on films, which involves the most bullshit conditions and lack of preparations, so we'll come ready for anything. I think our western shoot last year during the 115 degree heat wave was probably good training for Burning Man.. ugh. First Aid, fire extinguishers, battery op candles, parkas, rainboots, sneakers, goggles, etc. we're bringing it all. As I'm not a huge fan of camping, I intend to plan for the worst. In style!

laugh

I don't have any idea how to play croquet. You'll notice that immediately when we play.
C. Filson
finnmoxa1@yahoo.com
Los Angeles, CA
cfilson

Postby Dusza Beben » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:46 pm

As a be-kilted male, the "skirt-lifters" I've met on the playa have been attached to female arms. :wink:

On the pith helmet front I find the British and French pattern helmets to look quite fetching on ladies and gents alike.

Here's the kids and I with one of my works in progress.
They are wearing French pattern helmets.

We can't play croquet either, but we do have fun trying!

DB
Agripunk,
Dusza Beben

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:31 pm

Dusza Beben wrote:We can't play croquet either, but we do have fun trying!

DB
It's those damn flamingos ducking and those hedgehogs rolling away!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby cfilson » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:31 pm

Dusza Beben wrote:
Here's the kids and I with one of my works in progress.
They are wearing French pattern helmets.

DB

Cute!
C. Filson
finnmoxa1@yahoo.com
Los Angeles, CA
cfilson

Postby chiefdanfox » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:15 pm

And we can chit chat about the good ole days of Manifest Destiny!
chiefdanfox

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:39 pm

Once a year in July I go to Portland for "Mondo Croquet and Mad Hatter Day"

The croquet is played with sledge hammers an bowling balls..

Always present is the tea party table and costums you would not believe.. Onlookers and passer-bys don't know weather to stay and watch or call the police.. It is held on the fringe of a wineo district.. Some times you can hear a drunk say he's swearing off the stuff..
unjonharley

Postby Tiahaar » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:49 am

unjonharley wrote:The croquet is played with sledge hammers an bowling balls..

YEAH!! That'd be the fun way to play that game!! and wear the steel-toes fer heavens sake :wink:
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:17 am

unjonharley wrote:Once a year in July I go to Portland for "Mondo Croquet and Mad Hatter Day"

The croquet is played with sledge hammers an bowling balls..

Always present is the tea party table and costums you would not believe.. Onlookers and passer-bys don't know weather to stay and watch or call the police.. It is held on the fringe of a wineo district.. Some times you can hear a drunk say he's swearing off the stuff..

Dang, what a way to get "hammered" Now I know what to do with 2 old bowling balls in my mom's basement

See ya there!!!
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby unjonharley » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:33 am

Tiahaar wrote:
unjonharley wrote:The croquet is played with sledge hammers an bowling balls..

YEAH!! That'd be the fun way to play that game!! and wear the steel-toes fer heavens sake :wink:

Portlands Cacophony at one of it's best.. Knee socks , sweater vest, nickers, collarless white shirt, flat cap and white golf shoes.
unjonharley

Postby TD-2441 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:03 am

What a totally cool idea for a camp :D I'm gutted I can't bring tons of outfits with me for all these different theme camps, flying from England means limited luggage allowance :( *sob* !!! I'm actually worried that even with 7 days on the Playa I'm not going to get to see everything!!!!
Imperial Sandtrooper TD-2441, http://www.tk2441.co.uk
No longer a Burner Virgin - coming back Home in 2013 ;)
TD-2441

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:05 am

Ha! You will not get to see everything on the playa. No one does, even the folks who stay awake 24 hours a day all week. There's too much, too much!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:36 am

Join the campaign for a six week burning man.
It makes far more sense for those coming from a distance.

It's the only way you'll ever see all the stuff you want to see.
And maybe some time to hang out too.
gyre

Postby TD-2441 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:25 am

I'd not get 6 weeks off work :(
Imperial Sandtrooper TD-2441, http://www.tk2441.co.uk
No longer a Burner Virgin - coming back Home in 2013 ;)
TD-2441

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Sounds like a great camp plan! Sorry I won't be able to experience it firsthand (taking this year off), but look forward to seeing photos and hopefully seeing it in 2009.

Trilo
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby fciron » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:24 pm

Hey cfilson,

I just had a potentially useful thought. Since you're not registered you won't be on the maps and stuff. If you make some posters or signage with your address you could give them to us at the Bomb Bay Tea Co. and potentially other steampunk camps so like-minded folks can find you.

Of course this assumes that you want traffic.
fciron

Flyers, etc

Postby cfilson » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:16 am

!!! Great idea. We'll have a sign up at our gate with a guestbook, and I heard there's some sort of kiosk to post flyers on? Was planning on doing that, but would really love any help from Bomb Bay! Thanks, guys.
C. Filson
finnmoxa1@yahoo.com
Los Angeles, CA
cfilson

Postby fciron » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:36 pm

I have to keep reminding myself that Black Rock City will be home to over 40,000 people. If you want to be found by other steampunk/anglophile/neo-victorian wackos we are all gonna have to stick together.

(or else we shall most assuredly stick separately ;-) )
fciron

Postby fciron » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:42 pm

FYI, this is the center camp message board. This just part of it and there's messages on both sides. I would imagine that finding anything on it takes dedication or desperation.

I am not sure that Edwardian ladies with all of their clothes on will inspire that sort of devotion in most. Present company, of course, excepted.

fciron

Postby gyre » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:46 pm

Is there any way to access playa info af any year on the webnet?
gyre

Postby Kinetik V » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:52 pm

I don't know about the everyone else but skimming that massive board at least 2x during the event is another integral part of my playa experience. And the board does work quite effectively, IMHO.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Next

Return to 2008 Theme Camps