Safe for a virgin in recovery?

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:44 am

It's as safe as any other city.
Talk it over with your sponser if you must. There are meetings on the playa.

The question I ask you, is do you carry "safety" inside you? Do you want to remain sober or are you looking for a chance to slip?

There are people in altered states of consciousness (not all chemically induced) all over BRC. There are plenty of sober people as well. I don't drink much (even if I'm in a bar camp!) in part because the environment is tough enough for me that I don't want to push my body any more. I've taken the ambulance ride to Reno. It was no fun.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby noperks » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:55 pm

Safe? Not really. Survivable? Absolutely.

My first burn I was 10 months sober and I survived. I hit a meeting every time I was in HALT mode. That worked out to about 10 meetings, two of which I slept through (remember, T = tired). The most important lesson turned out to be "CARRY LOTS OF WATER". It turned out that dehydration pushed me to the angry and lonesome limits pretty quickly.

So, it can be done. If you're not sure and you aren't bringing anything more than dry drunk with you, you're likely to crash, smash, and burn. If you're not sure and you can humbly seek out the sober tents, you'll make it.

God helps you, whether you like it or not. - Rip :)
noperks

Previous

Return to 2008 Theme Camps