Stag Camp

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:40 am

chief,

right with you, man!!..

too drunk to post. meaningful bullshit. in chicago.. but i know you're fucking legit. and on-board.

- motsky
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby wedeliver » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:27 am

chiefdanfox wrote:The entire Basin and Range region is a product of profound geologic movement. Huge earthquakes are as common in this region as are bumblebees on lupine.

they are expecting snow in Wells, Nv this morning...

I've lived both on Cobb mountain and Mamoth Lakes, where hundreds of earthquakes a day can occur (at one point Mammoth recorded over 1000 earthquakes (most cannot be felt) per day during an event that lasted over 10 years and ended about 9 years ago).

The below website I have been watching for many years and I cannot recall seeing so many dots in Nevada.

http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/index.html

Tony Lowry, an assistant professor of geophysics at Utah State University, said the size of the quake and its location was unusual.

“It's not common at all,â€
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:25 am

I didn't feel it, although Genius says he did (we both live in Ogden). I lived in Japan for 12 years, that's earthquake country fer shure, I also tend to ignore little ones. Utahns are nervous, we sit on the Wasatch Fault, and we're "overdue" for a big shaker. Oh yay, I live in a cinderblock house with brick veneer.

And yes, it is snowing in Wells this morning and they haven't begun much clean up until FEMA gets there. Sucks. Anyone know if Donna's Ranch rode it out okay?
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

OMG!

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:58 am

:shock: :shock: http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.a ... BC&topnav= :shock: :shock:

COSTCO for everything you need in your life... and death!

lmao that just goes to show you... ya never know what you will find these days in costco.... :shock: :!:
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby plowman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:08 pm

It's been snowing in Wells on and off all day.
Sorry Staggers. We kind of got off our thread there. My fault.
If you want to go on about the Earthquake please start a new thread.
Thanks.
plowman

Postby the_pharoah » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:47 am

Yeah, it's been snowing in northern CT all day as well. And, we haven't had an earthquake within the state since 1974.... but we get the Moodus Noises. Google it for some great early American Indian folklore. I'd love to find that sapphire throne. The noises are real, though.... a result of microquakes that echo through subterranean caves along the Connecticut River.
Anyway.....Back to this Stag Camp thing; just how many burners are part of the camp? This is my first burn - been waiting 9 years. I plan on being there at dawn on Monday (after a 40-hour drive) and setting up my teepee. Perhaps I should decorate it with black stags?
Just because I want to see it, doesn't mean I want to become it. Everything I observe changes my life in some manner.
the_pharoah

Postby plowman » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:18 am

Hey Pharoah,
Last year we had about 50 in Stag camp.
Not everyone was in camp at the same time so it didn't seem like that many until you looked at the tents and RVs camped within our borders.
I wasen't in camp when the first dust storm hit and I was sure my shade structure was blown away. When I got there, there were people holding it up and reinforcing it. I jumped in and we kept it together. Then we went and did the same to the other "homes" in our camp. While most people hunckered down to wait out the storm, we sat around and slapped the wine bag and played frisbee. For most it was an inconvienience, for us at Stag camp, it was an ADVRNTURE!!!
I've heard some say they are not going to be with Stag camp this year because we are to loose knit. Ther are too many timetables and too much "structure" in the default world for me all year long. Thats why I love Stag camp. Besides the people are FANTASTIC
If you are looking for loose knit, casual attitude, friends you haven't met yet. And have the same attitude.....Welcome home.
plowman

Postby twinwitin » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:51 am

How do we decide who wears the stag head on burn night to represent Stag Camp?? ha ha :lol: ha ha :D ha ha
twinwitin

Postby motskyroonmatick » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:36 am

I've been trying for two days to come up with a crafty humorous response as to who will wear the Stag Head. I have come up with none. I guess it could depend on the condition of said stag head. Is it actual stag or costume stag? Is there a difference? Is it animal or mineral. If it is animal....does it smell and if it is mineral...does it itch? Would you mind if we wrote 2.0 on it and threw it in the fire to celebrate and mark something we can remember but can never go back to? We really don't have to burn it but I really want to throw something in to the Man fire this year.
Maybe the person you or the camp feels is the most Stagalicious person gets to wear it.

BTW everybody I am back from a great time in Chicago. Be sure to visit the raven tavern while there. Open till 4 and there is a really cute bartender behind the bar that goes to the Oregon Country Fair to boot. Thanks Melancholy and Stef!!! :) :D :D :D :!:

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Postby brokenscene » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:52 am

You're welcome out in Chicago any time!!!!

I had an absolutely amazing weekend...thanks for everything.
brokenscene

Postby brokenscene » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:50 am

Also...

Hey all you amazing new additions to stag camp and returning staggers!

I wanted to put this up here before posting on tribe any volunteer information I have been searching out

... Anyway, I have taken it upon myself to become fully versed in the volunteer happenings around Burning Man 2008 and if anyone has any questions either today, tomorrow, or something within the next 6 months or even when we are all comfortably on the playa, please feel free to ask me.

Despite it being six months in advance... you guys might want to consider heading to the burning man site and filling out a volunteer questionnaire. They'll find you a position that suits your talents, interests, etc...

Here's the website...
http://www2.burningman.com/people/

Can't wait to see you all!
Much luv
brokenscene

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:15 am

Yeah it is fun.... I loved working the airport and plan to work 2 shifts this year insted of one.... it was way cool getting to drive around in the golf carts and welcoming people to the space port...what we call the airport at burning man.... I did the ice house at 9oclock as well it was fun but not as cool as the airport! Getting out there to help the community is great. The application really helps as well... this year I might even work After the event to help with cleanup....depends on my scedual...will be out of military but might have another job..... so will see about staying....anyway later guys and gals and stagger on!
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby melancholy harlot » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:02 pm

Thanks for the volunteer info, Stef! I filled out the form today, and within hours got a really playariffic message from the Playa Info coordinator that made me smile. Still crossing my fingers to hear from the Greeter's. The more I think about it, the more I'd like to be out in the dust meeting burners and giving something back this year.

Idea: At the bottom of the Greeter's form, it asks if you're part of a camp or a group of friends that might be interested in staffing an entire Greeter's shift. This requires 10 to 20 people. Shifts are four hours long. I was wondering if anyone else thought this might be a fun idea/bonding activity, to have four hours in which Staggers are the official first impression of the playa. Obviously it would be opt-in, as all Stag events are. If we have a core 10 or so that would commit to a shift, then anyone else who wanted to jump on board later could too. Post up or message me if you're interested, and if we have enough takers, I'll contact the Greeter coordinator.
melancholy harlot

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:17 pm

:) :) :) SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT PLAN TO ME!!!! STAGGERS AWAY :) :)
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby twinwitin » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:33 pm

I'm in! :D Greet, greet, greet. Do they allow virgins to be greeters?
twinwitin

Postby melancholy harlot » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:45 pm

Interesting question. I did not find an answer at greeters.burningman.com, buuuuuuuuuut... Since we'd be volunteering to staff a shift as a camp, I don't know that they'd even notice. You certainly already have the playa spirit of an return burner! ;)
melancholy harlot

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:05 pm

Hummm i did read that they will not allow first year burners to be rangers but it did not say anything about the gate.... so i am sure that it is ok... if anything like nikki said we are working a camp shift so we can offer guidance :)..... wow 3 shifts for me of things to do lol good thing i love to help out.... hope i have time for the burn lol
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby plowman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:08 pm

I don't think they could say too much if virgins and veterens teamed up.
We would need more people though.
SHIT!!! I think I just volunteered for something.
(Damn, you know how I hate to just jump up and help out)
plowman

Postby motskyroonmatick » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Stag Campers and especially prospective greeters--There is going to be a big informational push on this topic this year. No baby wipes in the porta potty. If it doesn't come from your body it doesn't go in the potty. Baby wipes are the #1 cause of trouble with the potty service guys. Getting the word out about baby wipes and eliminating them from the body waste stream will really help with the safety of the guys that service our pottys. Lets be on the front line of getting this information out at least as a start to everyone in our camp.

motskyroonmatick

Postby twinwitin » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:42 pm

Thanks Mel- I don't want to speak for her but, sister will probably be there too, soooo we're halfway there on our shift numbers! :D

Motsky- To answer your question, I have to confess, I was being a smart ass, I didn't know anything about a stag head :oops: To make up for my cheeky monkey-ness I will be making a Stag head! As to who will wear it I like your idea to decide that as a non-camp! ha ha And it will burn, family, it will burn!!!! :twisted: ha haha hah :twisted: Sorry, got carried away. p.s. tell your bartender firend, maybe I'll see her at faire! My son got a job in faire this year, so I only have to buy tickets for 4 of us! whoo hoo!

Plowman- ha ha ha ha :lol: (pointing and laughing) :lol: just kidding, I only joke, as I have been in your position many times!
Stag on Volunteers!!!
twinwitin

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:47 pm

YAHHH MY Girlfriend Purple flower hippy said she would join us at the gate this year so there is another person to be a greeter for our shift :)!!!! STAGGERS UNITE :)
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby Crappypants » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:50 pm

If i can make it there easily enough I would love to be a greeter with you all :D
....the edge just has a better view.
Crappypants

Postby plowman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:49 pm

twin,
I usually put myself in that position on purpose. and have a good time.
It makes me feel good inside, knowing that I've helped someone.
(I was just being a little sarcastic)
So come join me and we will point and laugh together then jump in with "almost " both feet.
plowman

Postby twinwitin » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:05 pm

...sigh...I love pointing and laughing, ha haha ha!!! Oh man, I'm sorry that was very mean of me. :twisted: I can't wait to get out in the dust and start greeting family.

My family here is starting to worry about me. Before joining e-playa I was hardly ever on the 'puter, now I am checking it all the time!!! I just love it when there is a new post but,...sigh again...sooo sad...when there's no new post :cry: Could I be more desperate??? :roll:
twinwitin

Postby plowman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:27 pm

Mean???
Not!!!!!

Desperate??
I don't think so.
I check the puter every morning before work, as soon as I get home, and then again before I go to bed.
I never did that before I found Stag camp and my Playa family.
I'm looking forward to hearing from the rest of them although I know it is early yet.
The people that make up our camp are truely incredible.
plowman

Postby melancholy harlot » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:49 pm

twin --

uhOH! you got it bad! it'll subside after a while, for a while, then be back in full force like nothing you've ever experienced... before last burn, i will sitting at my computer hitting the "refresh" button on tribe, in case someone had posted something that hadn't shown up yet. i worried for myself... you will make it through. :)
"Since we don't know where we're going, we have to stick together in case someone gets there." -- Ken Kesey
melancholy harlot

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:18 pm

Burn Stag Head BURN!!!!! I have the addiction to eplaya year round. Not too bad for a vice. Brokenscene and Melancholy know. I was always game to check eplaya or tribe several times a day. I'm still checking craigslist for things I have already found. Oh Boy!

motskyroonmatick

Postby twinwitin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:12 am

You all are so great! I do have a question for my older siblings (vetran burners) How long do we have to wait for the new survival guide??? :x (whining like a 4 year old. ha ha ha ha)

Funky Monkey- Man I wish my name was Purple Flower Hippie, my favorite color is "grape Koolaid" violet! :D :P My favorite scent and flower is lavender,even my sheets are purple, whooo whooo! :wink: ha ha

How is it I can miss people I have never met? :cry:
twinwitin

Postby Somnivore » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:39 am

I'd gladly do time as a greeter, wonder if we could get an early entry greeter day--they were there when I came in early last year. Just a thought for our land grab...
"Salt em and leave their little beef jerky asses laying around as a testament to the other little mother fuckers that are lurking in the shadows!" Big Worm
Somnivore

Postby melancholy harlot » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:00 pm

I don't think they'll give Stag a shift pre-event, because it's 10 to 20 people, but I'm working on getting in as early as possible. I'll miss the next three burns due to Peace Corps... I'd like to get as much dust as I can! ;) I'm hoping to help build the greeter's station and be a greeter the week before, because I think it would be awesome amounts of fun and I'd really like to help out at the front gate... But, if that doesn't work out, I'm still planning to do some greeter shifts and look for an alternate way in. Helping building the Cafe at Center Camp would be fun too...

Stef is looking to volunteer at a bar somewhere...

Opie mentioned that medical people can do their shifts pre-event and then have the whole burn off. That might be an option for you, Tom??
"Since we don't know where we're going, we have to stick together in case someone gets there." -- Ken Kesey
melancholy harlot

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Theme Camps