Stag Camp

Postby angryeunuch » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:20 pm

Plowman: that's one of the most awesome/horrible stories I've heard. Maybe it's sick, but some part of me loves the idea that it's pretty easy to get a serious injury like that at the burn.

Motskyroonmantick: I'm a bit late to this I guess, but your talk about this "Yacht" has got me all excited and intrigued. What is this thing you speak of? I likes the sound of it.
angryeunuch

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:10 pm

hey check this out found it on an old Wired online piece about Virtual Playa.....

the new burning man for the other 51 weeks of the year and maybe a camp design tool? Mots what ya think?

http://www.virtualplaya.org/page1.html
" Holy shit did that just fucking happen"
....anything is possible in the wacky land of imagination
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby plowman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:07 pm

I'm here to tell ya "Shit Happens".
But accidents happen all the time, everywhere.
I'm also sure that who ever gave me that "oh so friendly push",
didn't do it in malice and he wasn't being mean. But when I looked up
there was NOONE on that ledge.
I still had a great time. I had alot of support from people I didn't
even know, rides, people made me rest in there shade, water,
cocktails, even a message from a beautiful girl.
But no support from the camp I was with at the time, with the
exeption of my Brother and one other.
Thats why Stag Camp is so important to me, I saw it last year,
We came together as a "family",( I guess thats a good word to use)
And we had never met before. It was Spectacular, Amazing, Wonderful
and everyone looked afer each other and had a damned fine party
doing it!!!

If you see MR. Boyer,
let me know! K?
plowman

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:55 pm

yeah i think "family" is the best way to put it... glad to see a lot of the old family is coming back again this year :) and it is so cool to be expanding as well :) cant wait to get my adventure rolling :)
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby Rider » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:12 pm

Hi All:

My name is SingeU and I am a member of VaChina Town. Plowman has camped with us for about 3 or 4 years. PlowMan was camping with us and his two brothers when he broke his leg. I feel I need to respond because his story put his campmates from VaChina town in a bad light.

Three of our campmates were at the top of the pole when he had is accident. His campmates told him not to slide down the pole because he was too drunk. He decided to slide anyway and had a very bad outcome. No one pushed him. We always watch out for each other and leave no one behind. The medics came to his aid and tried to get him to go to the med tent, but he wanted to go back to camp. He was convinced the next day to go to the med tent. His brothers took him to the med tent on my rickshaw. When he came back to camp we all offered to help him. We offered to help take him and his truck home, but he wanted to stay, couldn’t miss the burn, so he stayed. I am always willing to help someone in need and did offer to take a day or two to get him home and get medical treatment, he did not accept. His leg was so bad he could hardly walk and I felt he wanted me to haul him around Burningman on my rickshaw. Even riding on the rickshaw caused him great pain. I did not think it was right of him to put his burden on the entire camp. What he needed was serious medical attention. Heck we took him to the burn on the trike and that ride caused him lots of pain. I was pissed that he expected his campmates to give up their Burningman experience to cater to his needs. His brother had to spend hours of his time trying to find him a way to get home and he did.

To all, please come by VaChina Town anytime and see me SingeU (Singe You) we are @ 4:30 and the outer street.

Best,
Jerry Brown
Rider

Good times with Plowman

Postby Rider » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:19 pm

Plowman gave VaChina Town many epic moments that I will never forget.

The time He and Todd Wrestled on the Playa, Todd was a 8th grade wrestling champion.

The time he was spanked and tricked to go to the top of a pole.

The time he chased me in circles until I thought he was going to plow a gasket.

Many good times.

Best,
SingeU
Rider

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:25 pm

In the boating world there are Skiffs, Boats, Ships, Junks and Yachts to name a few. The mutant vehicle I am approved to bring is officially named the Space Yacht and is supposed to be an interpretation of a future space travel vehicle. It really should be named Space Oddity because it is becoming quite unrefined. Perhaps it is more of a Junk. Anyway I had all these ideas to incorporate cameras and monitors, phones and 2 way radios to make it technologic but I'll be lucky if I can get the navigational radar working and installed. Right now I am finishing up the custom made controls for the drive train. Building an entire functioning vehicle from only a pickup frame and wheels is a huge task. When you decide to power it with a honda 750 motorcycle engine and gear reduction it adds allot to the customization. The Space Yacht is coming to the burn no matter what condition it is in. Wish me luck. I'm going to work on it now.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby seeka » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:02 pm

Good luck, I'm sure it's going to be amazing! I can't wait to see it!!!
)'(
seeka

Postby plowman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:10 pm

I feel I have to sespond to Riders comments.
First, You wern't even there when I fell.
Second, I never asked you for a thing, especially a ride
in your rickshaw. I wouldn't Dream of keeping you from
your slave duties to Tara.
John took me to the med tent the next day in his truck.
The Rangers took me back to camp that night because there was noone
around to help me back to camp from the med tent
My brother Mark ended up doing double duty,looking in on me
and babysitting my older brother.
I got around very well on crutches and didn't need your help,
witch by the way, was never offered.
My brother found someone to fix the other rickshaw, and
thats how I got to the burn. Yes, it was an inconvienience to
two other people and for that I'm sorry, but I would have hobbled
on crutches to get to the burn.
You are completely right on one thing, I wasn't, and didn't, miss
"The Burn!"
My brother did get me a ride home. Colorado campers who were going East after the burn.
As far as volunteering to take me home, My brother Mark was the
only one I heard. But I can't see anyone missing out on the
Burning Man expierience because I have a problem.
I never said which camp I was with, and never will,
but I have no plans on visiting 4:30 and the outer ring
plowman

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:25 pm

Seeka,
I reuphulstered(sp) the seat on the SSSP tonight. First thing I ever uphulstered(sp) and it went well. Inch by inch it is getting completed. I just wish I wasn't working so much overtime so I could have more time to work on projects. Sorry to push but...have you made it to the DMV yet?

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Postby plowman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:33 pm

Motsky,
What can I bring to help with the Space Yacht?
plowman

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:53 pm

Gasoline! I may need to recruit you as engineer. You know..Monitor systems give a tweak here and there. Switch the gearbox to reverse when necessary and occasionally run us up to warp 9. Must talk with a scottish accent. The worse accent the better!!!
Thanks!

motskyroonmatick

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:31 pm

Dude i can bring a gallon gas can with gas in it maybe 3 gallons max if i buy another gas can... and you can keep the gas cans after if you like as no room for them after the burn... any chance you will need a no name security red shirt that dies in the first 5 mins of the episode but some how comes back to life for the next episode? Better yet i can be a "doctor jim not a miracle worker".... quick fill in the blank.... or better yet.... i can be Mr. Spock
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:01 am

if you would be Yeoman Lester (Janice), I'd follow you around.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:02 am

even if you had blue scabs on your legs and the kids were singing "yayayaya, ya ya........"
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ¡Niers! » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:04 pm

Whew........
.....I'm back.
Sorry everyone, I have had a seriously difficult last couple months.
I haven't been on here for a couple months as a result but, I assure you all I am still getting ready for journey. Tom and I are totally anxious to arive at Stag Camp.
We are still bringing a 17' dome to set up. We still have alot of preparing to do but, I think we'll be fine. A month away!!!!!

Ok, well I'm off to dinner.
Hope everyone is well.

N
¡Niers!

Postby mars99 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:08 pm

Plowman,

I was following your story and Rider's comments, and I found it very interesting. I was at the Man the night you broke your leg. The plywood sound was AWFUL! In fact I was standing right behind you when you went down the poll.

Don't worry though, I didn't push you.

I couldn't push you because my hands were full holding my stuff and YOUR drink cup. See, despite my many attempts to talk you out of going down the poll, especially in your staggering drunkenous, you didn't want to listen. You handed me your cup, reached out (realized the poll wasn't as close as you had thought), slipped and WHACK! It really was an awful sound, and the look on your face told me and the rest of your campmates what happened. So we pushed our way through the crowd, plowed through the maze, and rushed to find you with a Ranger.

I understand how the trauma of the accident and the embarassment of alcohol induced stupidity can skew your recollection of what really happened (we've all done that), but that's the real story behind the broken leg.

Now let me ask you an easy question. You're out fishing with someone you consider a friend, maybe not a person that you see everyday, but someone you genuinely feel affection towards. You both live in different areas, and meet at this remote mountain lake every year to fish together. Well, sure enough just as the fish start biting, he trips and breaks his arm. Not maybe broken, but "no doubt in the world" broken.

As a friend that cares about him do you hand him a beer and say "Don't leave, the fishing is great! Who needs two good arms anyway...let me wait on you hand and feet for the rest of the week. I really wanted to go fish that stream, but I guess I'll tie your shoes and wipe your ass instead! Can't miss the FISHINING!!!"

Or, as someone that cares do you say "man, it's just a fishing trip, you need to get to a hospital. You can always fish again next year. Your injury is fucking serious, you need to leave now!"

I hope the good people of Stag Camp would act like "family" and urge you to put your health ahead of a party.

As far as how you were treated by your campmates, despite being in agonizing pain the entire time, YOU put a week of "fun" ahead of a medical emergency. YOUR OWN MEDICAL EMERGENCY! I'm sorry, YOU weren't willing to sacrifice your fun for your own health, but WE were supposed to sacrifice our fun for YOU?

When you were in camp you were constantly moaning and groaning (understandable with a broken leg!) while bringing the spirit and engery of the rest of the camp down. When you weren't in camp you were mooching free drinks from the bar camp down the street. Bringing their spirit down too.

Your own selfishness caused you to be ostracized from your "family" and negatively effected the Burn of people you say you cared for.

What kind of help did you want offered? Did you want someone to fan you and feed you grapes? Were you expecting all the guys in camp to carry you from camp to camp?

We tried hanging out with you, but all you did was complain about the pain you were in...yet you didn't want REAL help.

Despite all that, I helped you get to see the Man burn. It was an exhausting strain. A strain YOU put on me and the rest of VaChina Town. A strain that we put up with and dealt with because that's what "family" does.

And a couple of years later, here I find you...throwing US under the bus.

I thought you were "family".

I thought you were a friend.

I thought you were a VaChina!

Instead I find out you're just a vagina...
mars99

SO anyway...Back to Stag Camp...

Postby sarahbellum911 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:19 pm

I am so excited to leave Indiana in just 30 short days! I can't wait to meet everyone! I have a feeling my new Family is going to ROCK! :lol:
sarahbellum911

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:28 pm

Insults really piss me off. Setting the "record" straight here is not going to change much. If venting about the past makes anyone feel better I would appreciate it if it was done through PM or another avenue than this thread.

motskyroonmatick

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:34 pm

Yeah i hate to say it but last time i vented on here i brought everybody down so if there is going to be a war of words please keep it off the thread...
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:42 pm

Drive safe Sarabellum911. Don't dodge jackrabbits but do dodge cows. Tape a little burning man )'( to he back of your car so that other burners can wave at ya. We will see ya soon.

motskyroonmatick

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:46 pm

Do tape the burning man on there... but also wait till you get closer... cause from what i hear cops see the little man on the car and pull ya over for bogus reasons trying to give ya ticket....
Funky Monkey Mech

roll call

Postby mzfit » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:43 am

Let me suggest that anyone that wants to join us in stag camp - that hasn't already done so - please go to tribe (stag camp 2.0)and add yourself to the roll call thread that is happening there. We need to know how much space and how many people to plan for!
mzfit

WTF?

Postby lonestoner916 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:37 am

Sheesh, I leave you guys alone for a couple weeks and all hell breaks loose! :D

I just want to start off by saying Plowman is awesome, and I've never heard of VaChina Town or whatever, but no way is it even close to Stag Camp which by the way is what this thread is about, so to echo what Motsky said, keep your personal biz out of our Stag Camp thread please. We all love our Sheldon and nothing you post here can change that! :twisted:

Mots, I'll try and bring a gasoline contribution for the Space Yacht as well, with prices being what they are I'm sure you'll be able to use all you can get, and like most of Stag Camp I'm sure, I'm dying to ride on your beloved junk pile! :wink:

In other news, I've just returned from a weeklong camping/hiking/backpacking trip, three days of which was spent in good old Gerlach Nevada. Look for the first part of a very long (nine pages and counting) play-by-play of my misadventures in the Open Discussion section of Eplaya later tonight or tomorrow morning. It will be titled "Adventures in Gerlach." Good Times!

Mucho Stag Love to all! :!:
lonestoner916

Postby twinwitin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:07 pm

iNiers-I am soooo glad to know that you and Tom are o.k. I was wondering just the other day where you were and then you posted!

Lonestoner-looking forward to reading your e-journal of adventures!

right on mzfit- make Motsky's camp layout work easier staggers, put your camping info on tribe :D
twinwitin

Look at me! (again!)

Postby lonestoner916 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:43 pm

lonestoner916

Postby angryeunuch » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:57 pm

Wow, how dramatic! Let's hug it out, then go for drunken rickshaw rides. I'll drive!

Motsky- That contraption sounds amazing! I can't wait to grab that thing's intergalactic tow-rope and go playa-skiing!
angryeunuch

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:46 pm

I hope the space yacht turns out well. Today was a productive day. I finished Jessica's Super Secret Special Project and while in the process of taking it for a test drive I had an accident within the first 20 feet. I wedged it between the mirror of my box truck and a rhododendron bush. It was dramatic but everything was fine after a quick patch up by touching up the paint on the sunshade. I made an adjustment to the brakes and my sister an I were off to give it a shake down. The final conclusion is that it is cold blooded and needs a new muffler. It will also need some adjustment of the brakes as they brake in. I've decided to put off installing the headlight until I am at the burn or I have finished the space yacht. Once you get used to the hand control it is really fun to drive.
Today I completed two things on the space yacht that were nagging problems that I couldn't figure out easily. I solved the exhaust problem and it is 100% ready to go. I also went to the hardware store and bought a whole bunch of stuff for controlling the shift lever on the motorcycle engine and ended up abandoning the cable idea in favor of hinged solid linkage. That too is 100% complete as of 20min previous to this post time. It was a good day.

motskyroonmatick

Postby amphibiac » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:15 pm

Dropping back by after an eventful few months.

1. Financial instability threatened getting to BM a couple of times. Hopefully I am in the clear.

2. The expense of buying all new gear HURTS. Still need A LOT of stuff. And its getting ever closer!!!?!

3. Got a 1970s (maybe earlier) HEAVY DUTY canvas tent:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_g_hJeyCf2b0/SGj ... ent+ad.jpg

I have no idea how to set up. First attempt was a total failure. Spent a hour over several phone calls to the kind woman who sold it to me asking for precise assembly directions. Its got its own shade canopy, too. IF I can get it up, I'll bring it. IF... (Anyone have any experience with this, I'd appreciate any advice you have...)

4. On same trip on the 4th, car was totalled...JUST got a replacement yesterday...Good news is, I have wheels again. Bad news is, I have some maintenance I need to now factor in to my very stretched budget.
5. Most importantly, I wanted to re-connect with staggers that I'll be living with for a week in only 28 days!!!!

Anyone in the SF area want to coordinate a caravan? Pending maintenance on my new vehicle, I'd love to be part of an early Monday morning caravan out to the playa...

new car:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_g_hJeyCf2b0/SIv ... 00564d.jpg
http://kmixlsg.blogspot.com/
burning man 2008 blog
amphibiac

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:35 pm

Amphibiac,
Your pictures are not showing up. Could you post the make and model of the tent? With a picture or two I might be able to help figure it out.

motskyroonmatick

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Theme Camps