Stag Camp

Postby Crappypants » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:44 am

Wow, i am Tasmanian... it is crazy! for as small as our tiny island is, we always seem to pop up everywhere.

look forward to talking to you kids over the next coming months! i can not wait :o
Crappypants

Postby twinwitin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:09 am

It sounds like there will be Burning man and Stag camp, ha ha I love it! I am from a big family so I am definitely coming home!

Mel, sister and I started looking at the novelty websites. If you look at the image galleries on the BM page here, and watch a couple of youtubes watching the playa you can really get a sense of what is gonna happen to you, your tent, your bike, your senses, your hopes, your wishes....oh sorry back to here now! ha ha Anyway, I have decided after looking at about a million costume sites, and making my own garb for sca, that my own person will be my art. I just can't get over some of the shoes, and I am not a "shoe girl" And my sweet girl has not wanted to dress up for awhile, so this is going to be a great opportunity!

Also, while watching videos of dust storms we started you know, talking to each other and the screen"Oh my god get some rope! Nope he's gonna lose it .... there it goes,man that was brutal. O.k. so we make sure that we bring our 14 inch pavilion spikes for tie downs, we just fill the holes when we leave."
So, watch and learn to all of us virgins, besides, some of those videos are pretty kick ass- hiyah
s.y.o.t.p.
twinwitin

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:39 am

OZZY OZZY OZZY OI OI OI!!!! Hey what part are you coming from on my last deployment over seas on the way home we got to stop in Perth/Freemantle and WOAH talking about good times!!!
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:46 am

Twin Twin May i recommend E-bay that is where my friend from my burner community in san diego got all the glow sticks for last year they bought them in bulk and everybody who wanted to get in on it paid practical nothing compared to what it would be if we would have just got them our selves like that for a tube of 100... ended up paying like $40 for 1000 glow bracelets....
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby twinwitin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:00 pm

Thanks for the tip, funky monkey (love that name hee hee) :wink: I am a bawdy little monkey and I have the boxer shorts that say it! :twisted: ah ha ha ha I read no glass containers in the survival guide, does that apply to camp also? Sister and I do alot of our own canning and I wanted to bring jam for the buscuits, and some home canned tuna, sister likes it for sandwiches and on crackers. We will have an r.v. so no worries that anything will blow away and get broke, but I don't want to make waves or anything. :)
twinwitin

Postby MozyBonz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:20 pm

twinwitin wrote:Thanks for the tip, funky monkey (love that name hee hee) :wink: I am a bawdy little monkey and I have the boxer shorts that say it! :twisted: ah ha ha ha I read no glass containers in the survival guide, does that apply to camp also? Sister and I do alot of our own canning and I wanted to bring jam for the buscuits, and some home canned tuna, sister likes it for sandwiches and on crackers. We will have an r.v. so no worries that anything will blow away and get broke, but I don't want to make waves or anything. :)

yea don't worry about it.
I always bring my bag o glass for gifting.
MozyBonz

Postby plowman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:42 pm

WOW!!!!
Crappypants, twinwitin, noperks Leslie218, Dede and any other new staggers I might have forgotten, Welcome Home!!
Glass is OK if you are careful and it stays in camp. Alot of people go barefoot on the playa (but it's not recomended) so you can understand the problems with broken glass. It's a bike killer also.
Looks like I need to bring more busquits and bacon this year.
Do you want to have chilli burritos at the meet and greet again this year, (vegitarian also)? If so let me know.
We just keep getting bigger and better.I LOVE IT!!!!!
plowman

Postby motskyroonmatick » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:42 pm

24" re-bar is my stake of choice for the playa. Just figure out a way to cap it with some thing and make it so it is visible at night so people don't trip on it. I have found that bending the top in to a circle really makes it hard to pound in to the ground in a straight manner. I don't recommend it. When I tie off a tarp or shade cloth I leave about 6" of twine between the stake and the connection point on the shade cloth. This allows some movement that does not act directly on the stake and so the stake does not pull out and the shade cloth doesn't rip. It is tied tight though. Slack is not your friend in a wind storm. Last year I did not put enough effort in to securing my monstrous shade structure and it all but self distructed in the big thursday wind storm. This year I am going with something completely different based around the worlds best box truck.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:03 pm

Hell i know one thing to bring more of this year BOOZE lol btw plowman what was the name of the stuff we used last year for the coffie... let me know so this year i can bring a bottle 2... that way we got a big supply for anybody who wants to try the wake up drink... i also need to bring more mixers and things to bring my great whozawatsit drink :)
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby twinwitin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:58 pm

Sister and I can definitely add to the family bar, we can also bring bacon! :D chili burritos on the playa mmmmmm 8) meet and greet, more mmmm. We will be getting to brc on Monday, hopfully around 6 in the morning, we are driving from the Eugene, Oregon area, so we have about a 9-11 hr. drive, depending on trailer pull, ice tea breaks, which leads to the enevitable potty breaks, ha ha! We have watched videos of people waiting in line at gate, and we would like to do some of our wait in the cooler weather. But who knows? It will be what it will be....but, that's the plan for now. Anyone else know an eta?
twinwitin

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:03 pm

I am hoping that me and my friend will bet up there early like right as the gates open we hope to be in empre or gerloc waiting... hey anybody here have aim or want to e-mail me Purepl3983@aol.com i like the phone mores if you want to call send me e-mail and will give u my number
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby plowman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:29 pm

twinwitin;
6am sounds good. That means you will be in line about 4am.
We will be looking for you. Look for us. I'm hoping to get in at 12:01!
Can't help it, I'm one of those people who don't want to miss a minute.
plowman

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:35 pm

if all works as planed plowman then i will be shairing coffie with the spical aditives with you as i wait in line to get in at 1202 right after you lol!
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby plowman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:52 pm

Emmets is good with coffee, but Emmets and brandy is even better!!
"Funky" You know better than most, what I'm like before I get my coffee in the morning!! Grumpy??
plowman

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:59 pm

LOL your out of it man i mean like way out there mind not even on... Zombie and a bit grumpy some times lol.... but after that first cup you back to normal plowman
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby Crappypants » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:03 pm

I should be in San Francisco for the week or so before Burning Man, and I am hoping to find a lift from there. I have my fingers crossed in the hopes that I can be there first thing the first day.

Hopefully some stag burners from San Francisco will pop up with a magical empty seat in their ride up. Other wise I will just see you when I finally find you on the playa! :lol:
....the edge just has a better view.
Crappypants

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:05 pm

hey crappy there are some SF burners and i am in San Diego which is a bit far but if i have my own car to go up in by burning man and me and my girlfriend have room we might be able to squeeze ya in but like i said it is a big iffy....
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby plowman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:20 pm

Crappy,
My brother lives in Sacramento, I'm not sure if he will make it this year but if he does, I think I can convince him to make a trip to S.F.
But in the mean time look into ride share on eplaya. If you know all the specifics of your flight over, that would be helpful.
plowman

Postby motskyroonmatick » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:41 pm

Twinwitin,
I could go on for hours about the drive from Eugene to The Black Rock. 9 to 11 hours is reasonable. My first year I drove all night and arrived at the Y by Gerlach at about 5 in the morning(it was a tuesday). I could see the lights of the city from 10 miles away...It was fantastic. When I got to the greeters station the sun rise happened and most of the greeters stripped naked and did a sunrise dance. I thought that this is really going to be something else and it was. I have not missed a burn since except for the one that happened during the eclipse. Arriving with the dawn is an amazing experience. Plan on leaving Eugene 11 hours before you want to be in line at the gate and things should go well. The drive through klamath falls can be confusing but map quest or its equal will get you through that tricky section. If you get gas at the station before K-falls you should not need to get fuel until Alturas. When in Alturas if the Chevron has a big line go in to town (a right at the light when chevron is across the intersection) for another all night station. There is also fuel in Cedarville but that station changes hands every once in a while so is not completely reliable. Last year the pumps were 24 hours there with credit card self serve. The owner was really nice and friendly to burners. It is the last chance for fuel if you don't want to do the short side trip to Gerlach for fuel before hitting the gate. Do not dodge jackrabbits but do dodge cows which can be on the road for the last 70 or so miles in. Watch out for deer any place there are trees next to the road but especially between I5 and HWY 97. Some years I see 4-6 deer and one year I saw 22 with one that was an extremely close call.
This is all about 6 months too soon but preplanning is good. I'm going to stop now because I could be up all night on this topic with all the tidbits I can think of about this particular drive.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:40 pm

I try to arrive the weekend before - much easier.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Stag Camp - Just What I'm Looking For!

Postby the_pharoah » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:40 am

My first burn - and going alone, so the Stag Camp sounds perfect! I'll be WAY overpacked I'm sure. It would be great to know there's a place for all the solos. I'm driving from CT, plan on arriving pre-dawn Day one, and stay until Sunday. How will anyone know where the Stag Camp is? Since it's a non-camp, it won't be registered.
Kinda like looking for the Holy Grail..... it exists, but it doesn't.
Just because I want to see it, doesn't mean I want to become it. Everything I observe changes my life in some manner.
the_pharoah

Postby twinwitin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:46 am

Motsky- thanks for the info. It is nice to know what has been traveled. I lived in K. falls once upon a time ago, and partied out in Merill...uh yeah :roll: :oops: anyway, that 's a bedtime story for the playa. ha ha

Living in the woods, I too have had deer "issues". More often where we live it's racoons, opposums(yick), the smaller animals especially at night. We tell people that the insurance comercial got their squirrels from here! :lol: Cows are another animal altogether. ha ha My son is a ranch hand and he loves his job, hates the cows!! He says they are all evil :evil: , go figure.

Anyway, have a great day everybody. Talk at ya later,
s.y.o.t.p.
twinwitin

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:00 pm

the_pharoah don't worry about it as time gets closer we will decied on a street and time that we will be at... i dont know bout the rest of camp but i would not mind G & 8:45 again.... but that is just me..... but yeah when we decied ya just look in that general area... last year we had black signs with white letters on them that just said STAG and from the sounds of mots talking on the phone this year we will the same signs maybe a little bigger this year.... so it will be easy to find once we figure out our address.... speeking of which of all the old stagers do you think we should try to get the same spot this year or move to a new space.... I like the one we had last year close enough to everything to have fun yet far enough away that when you wanted to sleep ( other then the one sound system) we had no BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM of base as most the sound around us shut off around 4am when i wanted to sleep anyway....
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby melancholy harlot » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:17 pm

i put chivas and baileys in coffee, when i can afford it. a *serious* when.

danny and i have been talking about riding out from reno together and being in line by dawn. the more of us we have there on the early end, the easier the land grab will be. although motsky did some serious miracle work last year all on his lonesome!!! it looks like, this year, we'll need a large footprint again. as the time gets closer and we have a greater idea who and how many are in for sure, we'll move over to tribe.net/stagcamp to work out the specifics. i know the wheels are already spinning in the head of one mr. david opie.

i also liked out spot a LOT last year. it was great to be close to 9 (main thoroughfare made it easy to nav by) but not *on* nine, with all the noise and mayhem. wouldn't want to be too many streets closer in than G. that being said, a landgrab is a grab! we'll get what the playagods give.

plowman, i was glancing over '07 threads, and one really stuck out. when you mentioned that a *camp that is not a camp* is almost like a protest in its own sense. i love the idea. particularly with this year's (*ugh*) theme. (*i'm so much rather feeling luxuryspaceyacht and my own peacock gear than american dream...*) i've been reading this history and american expansion was soooooo stag. landgrab = so like homesteading in the wild, unsettled west. no one *registered* with the government, asking permission for their land. they got on horseback, rode out back, set up a fence and loaded a gun and got permission later.

so. yeeeeehaw!

(there will, of course, be no guns in stag camp.)
melancholy harlot

Postby melancholy harlot » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:25 pm

does one of our newbies want to go over to tribe.net and try to join stag camp as a test?? post up in a few days and let us know what happens? i just realized that no one knows if the permission to join filter is still in place... if it is, and SAM is without internet access, that might become a problem. we might want to talk to him about adding a few guest admins. i know he said it required a bit of work last year...

i'd be glad to do it but, as i'm leaving the country right after the burn, there should be at least another stagger to pass on the torch for 3.0. i'd nominate mr. opie, because i know how fast his typing fingers are :wink: , or shell, because i know he's in stag for the serious longhaul and he's like... our official welcomer, both on eplaya and in person, with bacon.

anyhow, not pressing, but a thought.
melancholy harlot

Postby Piowman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Crappypants,

if you make it to Stag Camp, I have room in my tent for you. Just make sure to bring alot of booze--we'll figure out the rest.
Piowman

Postby Crappypants » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:36 pm

Piowman wrote:Crappypants,

if you make it to Stag Camp, I have room in my tent for you. Just make sure to bring alot of booze--we'll figure out the rest.

Pilowman the same a Plowman?

Thanks for the offer! I will be bringing my tent along with me :lol:, but it is a very small alpine tent which might get stinking hot out on the playa, so i might just take you up on that.

Melancholy, i just joined up to the Tribe group and it all worked fine.
....the edge just has a better view.
Crappypants

Postby ¡Niers! » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:32 pm

mr. opie, because i know how fast his typing fingers are , or shell, because i know he's in stag for the serious longhaul and he's like... our official welcomer, both on eplaya and in person, with bacon.

I've read all of the 2007 Stag posts and joined Tribe. Perhaps I'm missing something. Who's Fast-Finger-Opie? Who's our welcomer, Shell?

On a different note. Does anyone else find themselves forgetting about the present and thinking only of this coming Burn? Maybe it's the virgin jitters or something.
I'm usually one to live in the moment. Maybe my life here in the Oregon rain is just a bit boring.

ok
¡Niers!

Postby kreamyjif » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Haha I believe Shell would be plowman & Mr. Opie would be Motsky. You know its funny I think the first person I met in person and talked to at Stag was plowman in fact!

Looking forward to some Stag sandwiches in '08 everybody!
Kreamyjif
kreamyjif

Postby twinwitin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:09 pm

signed up on tribe :)
twinwitin

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Theme Camps