Blacksmith camp

Blacksmith camp

Postby Blacksmith » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:54 pm

Greetings to all, I am a bit new to burning man but I have hear a lot about it and have had a few friends that have attended and am planning a camp with a few of them and wanted to run it by on here and see the feed back I get since I am not sure how.... acceptable it may be purely based on the nature of blacksmithing in and of itself. I want to do a blacksmith camp, surprise surprise!!! I would be bringing a almost completed sculpture that would require assembly and a few parts to be made on site. The only things that I have on mind that might be more of a nuisance then a fascination would be the noise that we would create while working, which we can limit to certain hours. Hammering on metal is pretty loud and I don't even know if I can imagine how it will carry. The second is fuel source. The idea of burning propane instead of coal has the down fall of propane tanks, and the coal produces a brilliant smell, well to some of us that is, and smoke. I would just like to get some feedback as to what you guys think about this idea and/or how appropriate it may be. Either way, I fancy I shall be there, working or playing!!!!
Blacksmith

Postby mereth » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:02 pm

Sounds neat...
Would you allow people who have never done 'smith work before to do stuff with it (with supervision/guidance, of course) or will it be a "come watch us do our thing and please stay behind the dotted line" kind of camp?
Okay, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
mereth

Postby Blacksmith » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:11 pm

It would be totally open for anyone and everyone to come and participate as much or as little as they fancy. And we would make sure that everyone has a safe and fun time. I would actually encourage as many people to participate as possible! It is a big thing for me is to share the art form with as many people as possible, share the love and passion!!!
Blacksmith

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:13 pm

You will be worshipped like a god.

As far as noise goes.. your hammer will be welcome amongst all the wonderful sounds of BurningMan. Let us know where you plan to camp since I'm sure LOTS of folks here would like to drop by and say hi.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby mereth » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:18 pm

Toolmaker wrote:You will be worshipped like a god.

As far as noise goes.. your hammer will be welcome amongst all the wonderful sounds of BurningMan. Let us know where you plan to camp since I'm sure LOTS of folks here would like to drop by and say hi.

Agreed, wholeheartedly. Let us all know where you'll be!!

Anyone else want to give their two tongs worth?
Okay, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
mereth

Postby Token » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:43 pm

You may actually want to contact the BMORG and see if you can get a spot on the Esplanade, open playa side to set up the forge.

For a couple years now I have seen just such setup with a glass blower and such. No hammering but very high heat.

You could make the forge run at night and do your thing as a big interactive playa spot.

Maybe you can find someone to do a steam engine project at the forge and use as much of that heat for art as possible; like run all your lights from a steam powered boiler hooked up to a generator... steam powered compressor for a kerosene fire cannon ...

Fuck propane, coal is awesome.

The possibilities are endless.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Rat Bastard » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:44 pm

The sound of a blacksmith hammer will be much more appreciated then some of the bad choices of music your neighbors will have. I'd also say go for the coal over propane. One disadvantage is the clean up. BM is the largest Leave No Trace event in the world. You'll need to pack out your ashes.

I would definately like to stop by and try my hand at it. If your not a total tool, I might even invite you for a ride on my mutant vehicle!

It sounds like a stellar idea. Lots of work getting your rig there. But it's worth a shot. Get some help.
Read my posts with a grain of salt.
Rat Bastard

Postby Token » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:52 pm

A buddy of mine, Cristian, has a portable forge he totes to the local festival circuit in the summer, down here int he LA area. The forge is always a big hit, especially late in the night when a warm fire is in order.

Also, there is nothing in this world that spells SEXY like a nekid man in a greasy leather apron and a bead o' sweat on the brow.

:)

p.s. Disclosure: I have a forge; I may be slightly biased on the subject of smithing.
Token

Postby CapSmashy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:01 pm

Toolmaker wrote:You will be worshipped like a god.

Absolutely!

I haven't run a bellows in years.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Blacksmith » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:23 pm

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! It sounds like no one thinks I'm a nut... YET!!! I haven't even thought about using the heat off the forge for other contraptions of great extravagance....
I will try to find who I need to ask about where they think I would be best placed because frankly as long as they say yes I'll be smiling! I think a camp might suit me well to pop my BM cherry and plan something over the hill for once I have a better grasp for the event.
Any and all feedback was and is greatly appreciated, and though I use many a tool, I can promise I am not one, unless I am striking for someone!
Blacksmith

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:44 pm

Are you going to sing the Anvil Chorus?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby plowman » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:02 am

I think the sound of a hammer pounding on an anvil will actually
atract people.
plowman

Postby Chief » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:28 am

I think the sound of a hammer pounding on an anvil will actually
attract people.

Hello. :P

You got my attention. I thought Burningman was all about music? I stand corrected.
Forgiveness is something that you have to earn.
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Part of Shock the Karma Conglomerate
Chief

Postby Box Burner » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:49 am

Wow! Can I come play too! I have never done any blacksmith work But I have dabbled in making Medieval armour.

Very Cool!
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:51 am

Box Burner wrote:Wow! Can I come play too! I have never done any blacksmith work But I have dabbled in making Medieval armour.

Very Cool!

:lol:

I thought you might stumble by this one. :)
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Blacksmith » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:42 am

Come play as in play or join the camp? Either way yes, and if you like armour you should check out some of the swords I have turned out... But that is getting away from the thread! As for singing anvils, we'll have to see what kind of a response I get and how many people get involved. I am working on putting together a team of strikers that will give you one sexy beat and "hardcore" visual stimulation. I just hope no one watching steals one of my crew while we're working!!! I have also been toying with the idea of making a smelting furnace and making the first batch of Burning Man Metal, unless someone eat me to it. Time to start putting my leave no trace plan on paper!!!
Blacksmith

Postby Token » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:57 am

Many a can have already been recycled into medallions on the playa. Casting and smelting has been done before, but it can never, ever be done enough enough.
Token

Postby Box Burner » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:26 pm

CapSmashy wrote:
Box Burner wrote:Wow! Can I come play too! I have never done any blacksmith work But I have dabbled in making Medieval armour.

Very Cool!

:lol:

I thought you might stumble by this one. :)

Right about that Smashy!

Blacksmith -
I am camped with the Booby Bar. When you are ready for a break stop by for a drink! I will be looking up your camp!

Box Burner

Postby unjonharley » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:34 pm

There was a smitty camp last year. It had powered hammers and such..
They were just setting up when I saw them.. People were being invited to come back and play.. Then it was lost in playa time for me..

Hope they return this year..

There could never be to many craft camps for me to see
unjonharley

Postby Blacksmith » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:46 pm

Darn, there go my original ideas! Ohhh well, I'll have to try looking them up to see if I can find them. I wasn't thinking of going all out on a level of power hammers and such, mine has a 6000lb ass that I am not planning on bring, does the desert supply 3 phase power??? Just joking on that last bit!
Blacksmith

Postby pinemom » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:05 pm

"there go my ideas"

Never let that stop you Blacksmith! Art is where you are and what your doing...I would never concider someone running a bar at burningman a copy cat.....hheheee
Other wise I'd have to call at least 1000+ camps copy cats...ha ha
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Blacksmith » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:18 pm

Wait, there is more then one bar????? hahahaha. But it won't stop me, I actually just e-mailed the blacksmiths from last year and depending on the ideas that they have maybe we can combine forces, or just do my thing and swing by to visit. You can never have enough blacksmiths at a gathering, even a blacksmith gathering!!! Speaking of which, I'm going to go work now. Get dirty
Blacksmith

Postby natthebat » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:35 pm

That's a wonderful idea, Blacksmith.

More people need to see red hot metal changing form like it was made out of butter. It's all so beautiful and inspirational and I'm sure many people would NEED your services. There's nothing the slightest bit strange or inappropriate about this idea. It's just this kind of noise that makes BM so amazing. Just make sure you make time to go out and play! Not workie workie all the time.

And bring a magnet for clean up. I think that's a good idea.
and fuck you too.
natthebat

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:01 pm

You might want to talk to Le Chat Noir on this board. He might have things to say. You can find him in the Bar Thread and the Contraption 2.0 thread.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby erri2000 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:09 pm

natthebat wrote:It's just this kind of noise that makes BM so amazing. Just make sure you make time to go out and play!

Th rhythmic pounding of the hammer will be a welcome sound on the playa. I can hear it ringing in my head already calling me to your inferno.

I can't stand it. I must dance now!
It is alot like sex,
Some people just don't get it

Part of Shock the Karma Conglomerate
erri2000

Postby Rat Bastard » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:14 pm

I'm just looking forward to red hot pokers to brand some hippies with. Then you'll see some dancing!
Rat Bastard

Postby Box Burner » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:59 am

Hippies? what hippies? :D

Box Burner

Re: Blacksmith camp

Postby falk » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:06 pm

Blacksmith wrote:Greetings to all, I am a bit new to burning man ... The only things that I have on mind that might be more of a nuisance then a fascination would be the noise that we would create

Wow, you really are new to Burning man.

Trust me, once the techno starts up, even you won't hear your own hammers.
falk

Postby falk » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:14 pm

plowman wrote:I think the sound of a hammer pounding on an anvil will actually atract people.

Hell yes. Frankly, I think your biggest problem is that so many people will come by to watch you work, or ask for blacksmithing lessons, that you won't have any time to play tourist.

This is a pretty awesome idea.

Dunno if you'll be able to get space on the Esplanade, being a first-timer 'n all, but they might put you in one of the plazas.
falk

Postby Rat Bastard » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:14 pm

Box Burner wrote:Hippies? what hippies? :D

Did I say hippies? I meant speed bumps.
Rat Bastard

Next

Return to 2008 Theme Camps