The American Dream LP available for free download

Postby DJ Femur » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:22 am

The Black Rock City Allstars, Metaphysical, and the TripKnight camp are pleased to offer the community The American Dream LP, available for free download on my page:

[url]http://www.planetboho.com/profile/DJFemur[/url]

Enjoy!
reno represent
www.myspace.com/blackrockcityallstars
DJ Femur

Postby Antimaster » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:43 pm

This ain't a freebee. The website requires a login and asks many many questions.
Antimaster

Postby DJ Femur » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:26 pm

reno represent
DJ Femur

reno represent
DJ Femur

reno represent
DJ Femur

Postby DJ Femur » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:27 pm

reno represent
DJ Femur

Postby BoxaRox » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:04 pm

A rap album, very similar to every other rap album, with three sentences of Burning Man imagery overdubbed onto the first tracks.

Mastered on a car stereo turned up to 11.

One hour to download. Ten minutes to form an opinion. Every minute wasted.

If you are a personal friend, or a rabid fan of everything rap, enjoy.

If you already own a rap album and feel that one is enough....
BoxaRox

Postby Elderberry » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:28 pm

Thanks for the warning.

JK
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby DJ Femur » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:08 pm

This album was created for the community. A LOT of hard work went into it and yes, there are some rap songs on it.

If you don't like hip hop, then that is your opinion. But to lump our album into every other "rap album" is narrow minded and uninformed. For you to come blast our shit like that is completely unnecessary, but also inaccurate. The album was mixed and mastered in a professional recording studio by audio engineers, not on a car stereo as you claim. The fact that you said that tells me you obviously don't know what the fuck you are talking about. If you don't like it cool, move on. See you at opulent.

But in your post, you not only try to discredit OUR HARD WORK, you also try to discourage others from hearing it as well.

It is almost like you are mad at us for creating art (that you don't like)

You, my friend, can take a flying leap into a toxic dump. THAT is the American Dream

Also, I hope the community is open minded enough to listen to new music even if some genius tells you it sucks. Not all burning man music has to be electro house trance unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh
reno represent
DJ Femur

Postby madmatt » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:21 pm

DJ Femur wrote:This album was created for the community. A LOT of hard work went into it and yes, there are some rap songs on it.

If you don't like hip hop, then that is your opinion. But to lump our album into every other "rap album" is narrow minded and uninformed. For you to come blast our shit like that is completely unnecessary, but also inaccurate. The album was mixed and mastered in a professional recording studio by audio engineers, not on a car stereo as you claim. The fact that you said that tells me you obviously don't know what the fuck you are talking about. If you don't like it cool, move on. See you at opulent.

But in your post, you not only try to discredit OUR HARD WORK, you also try to discourage others from hearing it as well.

It is almost like you are mad at us for creating art (that you don't like)

You, my friend, can take a flying leap into a toxic dump. THAT is the American Dream

Also, I hope the community is open minded enough to listen to new music even if some genius tells you it sucks. Not all burning man music has to be electro house trance unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh unh

Dude, don't take it personal, some people just don't know that old saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, then shut the fuck up!"

Whether it's your taste or not, *THANKS* for putting in the work and giving it away!!!! Keep it up!!!! And remember...only 81.7% of regular posters on Eplaya are douchebags.

:roll:
madmatt

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:45 pm

:lol:

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby BoxaRox » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:08 pm

Snarky? ME???

Perhaps the crappy slow download got me started in a pissed off mood.

Perhaps the car-stereo reference was unfair. It sounds like it was a reasonably good car stereo turned up to 11 not a crappy one.

When I load it into my wave editor, I see 4-6 dB clipping on most of the tracks. That's somewhat less than 10% distortion. You'd probably never notice that on your car stereo when it's turned up to 11.

For me, listening to hip-hop sounds like what I hear in a bar when they're playing a 15 second drum-loop loud as fuck-all, and there is a guy sitting behind me, who is talking some shit --even louder than the music -- while trying to impress his date.

This album: Same bar, different night. I believe I made it abundantly clear hat hip hop ain't my cup o tea.

I think I would rather listen to John McCain. (don't think very much of him, but I suffer through it because I think it's important to know what he has to say.)

I hope that anyone else who still wants to spend an hour or more on the download listens to it and comes all over their iPod.
BoxaRox

Postby Antimaster » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:03 am

Me thinks DJ Femur needs to grow a deeper skin and lay off the insults just because somebody doesn't like the same music.

By the way, the link to his/her myspace page doesn't work.
Antimaster

Postby Elderberry » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:54 am

Antimaster wrote:Me thinks DJ Femur needs to grow a deeper skin and lay off the insults just because somebody doesn't like the same music.

By the way, the link to his/her myspace page doesn't work.

I agree.

Once an artist puts his art out to the world, there will be people that love it and people that hate it. Where there is art, there will be art critics.

My feeling is the same for all those people that have aspired to be stars in Hollywood, finally make it, then cry that they don't have any privacy and are being hounded 24/7 by paparazzi.

JK
Elderberry

Postby DJ Femur » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:17 pm

The only thing that really pissed me off is the fact that this dude told people not to "waste their time" on a "rap album."

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but don't say some shit that isn't true.

But then he said something like i'd rather listen to McCain, and at that point I realize no response is necessary.

BUT REALLY, I just want people to hear some dope ass music. is that so wrong?

:shock: :x :? :P
reno represent
DJ Femur

Postby DJ Femur » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:19 pm

myspace link works now.
reno represent
DJ Femur

Postby Elderberry » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:53 pm

DJ Femur wrote:The only thing that really pissed me off is the fact that this dude told people not to "waste their time" on a "rap album."

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but don't say some shit that isn't true.

But then he said something like i'd rather listen to McCain, and at that point I realize no response is necessary.

BUT REALLY, I just want people to hear some dope ass music. is that so wrong?

:shock: :x :? :P

Actually, he didn't say that exactly and it appears that his McCain reference was only made after your assault on his opinion of your work.

I'm sure that you are talented and that your music is 'dope ass' as you put it; but only those that are into that genre of music would probably share that opinion.

As that is not my particular cup of tea, I appreciated his posting, as it saved me some time and bandwidth.

And on the other hand, if I were into that style of music, I think his post would have encouraged me to download it. So actually, it is a win-win.

When it comes closer to next years burn, if you'll be spinning (or whatever they call it these days) on the playa, I'll try and stop by and expand my horizions.

JK
Elderberry

Postby madmatt » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:14 am

BoxaRox wrote:Snarky? ME???

Perhaps the crappy slow download got me started in a pissed off mood.

Perhaps the car-stereo reference was unfair. It sounds like it was a reasonably good car stereo turned up to 11 not a crappy one.

When I load it into my wave editor, I see 4-6 dB clipping on most of the tracks. That's somewhat less than 10% distortion. You'd probably never notice that on your car stereo when it's turned up to 11.

For me, listening to hip-hop sounds like what I hear in a bar when they're playing a 15 second drum-loop loud as fuck-all, and there is a guy sitting behind me, who is talking some shit --even louder than the music -- while trying to impress his date.

This album: Same bar, different night. I believe I made it abundantly clear hat hip hop ain't my cup o tea.

I think I would rather listen to John McCain. (don't think very much of him, but I suffer through it because I think it's important to know what he has to say.)

I hope that anyone else who still wants to spend an hour or more on the download listens to it and comes all over their iPod.

I think you have a crappy attitude and love to say hostile things to people because it makes you feel clever.
madmatt

Postby drutter » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:52 pm

I, too, find it wrong of anyone to badmouth an artist for sharing their talents, for free no less. I'm not talented in creating music, but I love listening to it, and appreciate anyone who'll make free music for me to enjoy, and take their time to spread it around like this guy is. Hip hop isn't my #1 choice, but I'm going to have a listen anyway, and see if I enjoy it. If the whining douche's assertion that it's just a bunch of generic rap with 10 seconds of Burning Man references tacked on is true, I'll probably delete it and move on. But I'm not going to try to prevent others from checking it out.

I invite anyone looking for electronic stuff from BM to check out www.3l3tronic.com - DEVO is the name of the DJ from 3l3tronic who played on the Robot Heart bus a lot. Some really amazing stuff. They have a free download that's 73 minutes long, all really "Burny" music. I don't know them personally, I just found their music and loved it, and thought I'd pass on the link.
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.
drutter

Postby fciron » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:30 pm

I wouldn't have a problem with someone leaving a negative review in the comments if it were at all informative. After reading Boxarox's rant I am still going to have to download it to hear for myself. Plus now I have witnessed yet another thread full of pointless insults from both sides'

I blame the internets.
fciron

Postby FilXeno » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:30 pm

fciron wrote:I blame the internets.

Indeed. The interweb is to blame.

Down with interwebbing! :)
FilXeno

Postby metaphysical1 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:06 pm

:D Thank you everyone for the interaction, regardless of your individual musical tastes! We appreciate the love, and yes, even the criticism. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but this is only our gift to you our brothers and sisters on the playa, that's all.
These songs were created out of the love we have for Black Rock City, the people, and for the entire experience as a whole.

Thank you DJ Femur for posting this, and for everyone who has chatted on this topic, for either side. It's nice to meet you all, and we definitly appreciate your feedback, and thoughts.

Burningman has taught me personally so much about accepting people's differences, whether it be race, sexual preference, financial status, and even music!

with that said, ONE LOVE to everyone, and if you are interested in the music check it out, if not, it's still all love....
Can't wait to see you all out there again!!! Evolution here we come!!!!

Metaphysical

Freestyle Palace
Element
Digital Underground
TripKnight
Black Rock City All Stars
lawyersforburners.com
metaphysical1

Return to 2008 Art & Performance