No More FIRE CONCLAVE

Should the Fire Conclave return in 2009?

Yes
63%
No
25%
Who Gives a Shit?
13%

Total votes : 40

No More FIRE CONCLAVE

Postby wunderpants » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:52 pm

I for one did not miss the (what feels like) 19 hours of fire spinning that precedes the Burning of the Man this year. The Fire Conclave has been getting longer and more elaborate every year, and, frankly, by Saturday I've seen enough fire spinning in all its variations. Let's end the Fire Conclave for good and all! What do you think?
wunderpants
wunderpants

Postby Elderberry » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:43 pm

Frankly, I didn't miss it either; but that doesn't mean it should go. There's something to be said for ritual and tradition. If someone is not into the pre-burn fire show then you can always go to the burn a little later.

My partner and I did something different this year for both the Burn of the Man and the Temple burn--rather than get caught up in the whole crowd, we took chairs and munchies out on the playa and were just far enough back to not get overwhelmed by the crowd yet we had a great view of the burns. It was really a nice way of enjoying the burn--at least for us.

I think we'll do the same next year.

JK
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby hsdavis » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:02 pm

There was a huge dissapointment among all the dozens of performers who were ready to spin their hot magic. Because of the crazy weather, the fire conclave had to be cut and I am sure all the performers were heart broken.
They have always done an amazing job and I am sure they were ready to do the same this year.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all those ready to amaze us, but weren't able to this year. I really hope you are all back in 2009!
hsdavis

Postby thirt33n » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:23 pm

a prize fight without an under card?

...you just got your wish.

weather permitting, it'll never happen like that again nor should it IMO.
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby Treadwell » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:11 pm

As a long time burner, I have enjoyed the fire spinning and fire conclave for quite some time. That said, the fire conclave has become a bit ungainly over the past 4 years. Too many performers taking too much time. I wouldn't mind seeing it evolve into something else. As for tradition, well, that's probably the worst reason to continue the fire conclave. I don't believe that a recurrence of of an event or practice gives it a magic cloak of respectability. We have a tradition in this country of making war on Iraq, should we continue that one, too?
All the best,

Treadwell
Treadwell

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:46 pm

I'd like to see the conclave for about 10 minutes before the man is lit and then let them continue for 20 minutes in to the burn. At a safe distance of course.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:05 pm

Fire is over-rated.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby LisaLuckyOne » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:16 pm

If you've seen one Orange Bowl halftime show you've seen them all.
It's better to be Lucky!
LisaLuckyOne

Postby thirt33n » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:27 pm

Treadwell wrote:As a long time burner, I have enjoyed the fire spinning and fire conclave for quite some time. That said, the fire conclave has become a bit ungainly over the past 4 years. Too many performers taking too much time. I wouldn't mind seeing it evolve into something else. As for tradition, well, that's probably the worst reason to continue the fire conclave. I don't believe that a recurrence of of an event or practice gives it a magic cloak of respectability. We have a tradition in this country of making war on Iraq, should we continue that one, too?

!!!!!
send the conclave to iraq!!!!!!!
GREAT IDEA
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Limit conclave time

Postby RevDusty » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:28 pm

The conclave is nice, but has gone on waaaay too long in previous years. I really think 10-15 minutes max is fine. After that, it gets old quickly.
Rev. Dusty Sportswood
RevDusty

Postby AntiM » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:31 pm

I like the conclave, but if we're cutting, how about the procession beforehand? Just send in a runner and light those bitsy cauldrons on the fly.

They make us back off the inner perimeter when the Man ignites (except one year, which was stupid). Pretty exciting hauling that fuel station back toward the crowd perimeter when the pyrotechnics go off.

Or we could just naplam the fucker.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Who can see the fire spinners?

Postby bradtem » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:07 pm

Regardless of whether you like the fire spinners or not, there is a problem that only some portion of the city can actually see them. Namely those in the seated area, and those in the first 1 or 2 rows of standing. (And those on platforms.)

Those behind the standers essentially get to stand and see occasional poi fly over the heads of the standers for a while until the burn starts.

Unfortunately, many promote standing, since they (usually correctly) predict that all will stand when the burn starts going, at least for the Man. Not for the Temple. And it is of course highly tempting to be the first stander as you get the best view of all short of being early enough to be the first sitters.

So what fraction of those gathered actually sees the conclave? Is it even half? The presence of a fire stage this year I am sure got many people a better chance to see spinning.
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby dr.placebo » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:13 pm

I like watching fire spinning (although I have no such skill) and the massive show just before the burn is too large to see much and from the crowd only the first few rows get to see anything.

I like the idea of multiple smaller fire spinning venues. To some extent that actually happened this year, and I was usually able to get close enough to see what they were doing. Less spectacle, more art.
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby regynalonglank » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:28 pm

I liked it when they all did unison. I know it's boring to do, but it is amazing to watch.
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum
regynalonglank

Return to 2008 Art & Performance