The Camel

The Camel

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:36 am

So I was sitting in Center Camp one morning, chatting with some folks and thinking about what I was going to do that day, when I look up and see a camel sauntering in, fully loaded with various bags and canteens over its hump and on its sides. What the...?! After blinking a couple of times, I realize it's a masterpiece two-person full-body puppet, with flexible, segmented neck, expressive moveable eyes and mouth, a fully articulated tail that swings and twitches purposefully. An absolute tour de force of craftsmanship and performance. A lot of its "skin" seemed to be something translucent, like tulle, so you could see its skeletal structure and the performers a little bit through its outer surface. It wandered around Center Camp for a while and then back out into the city. Anybody know who made/performed this? It was absolutely fantastic.
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby withinReason » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:38 pm

Here is the camel, which indeed completely rocked:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/withinreason/2815847185/
withinReason

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:58 am

Yes! Thanks so much for the link. I wonder who they are?
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

the camel

Postby karinbee » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:34 pm

i followed the camel around all afternoon on friday. it was done by the guys behind michael curry design from portland, oregon. they also did lion king puppet-costumes and stuff for cirque du soleil.
karinbee

Return to 2008 Art & Performance