Arrests and Crime stats?

Postby gyre » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:51 pm

Your leg is being pulled, boys and girls.
Once I wanted to live in austin and it's too full of crime for even me now.

There is nothing there but crackheads and débutantes.
gyre

Re: On Second Thought...

Postby jkisha » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Screener wrote:I researched the profiles of the past few posters and found that they are all retired old men, with nothing more to do than to log onto eplaya and post thousands of comments each. Nothing like nothing to do!

Before you get your Depends up your crack, I am retired as well, but I do have a life outside of eplaya. I was hoping for some good, solid information and look what I got.

What? You said you talked to your friends that have been? And you don't trust what they have told you to make your decision? So you decide to come here ant talk to complete strangers?

Like I said, the event is not for the two of you. Spend you money on tickets to your county fair. It will keep you within your comfort zone.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:22 pm

...fear not, Screener. I am less afraid at BM than I am in Boise downtown at night. For a city of 50,000 there really is not that much crime. Do the math, compare a rock concert with 50,000 people and you may feel a little better.

However BM is not for everyone. Druggies and over-zealous cops are the least of your worries. People have died at this event. The dust storms run for days at times. If it were to rain big time during the event, there would be no in or out until it dries. This is a harsh environment, sometimes unforgiving of those seeking a non-violent, peaceful gathering of like-minded individuals. Mother Nature does not care about your philosophy, if you are not ready to bend like the willow you will get chewed up by the Playa.

One last note - Eplaya is NOT the same as the Playa (as you have noted). But if the snarky jabs here bother you, the Playa may not be for you. Just like the western frontier 100 years ago, the Playa has a way of dealing with Dreamers. If you go, cast off your preconceptions and accept what is. Do not attempt to tell others how to behave. Be tolerant of others. Anything else leads to madness (and Drama...Drama is bad)

Welcome home!
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:45 pm

I'm not certain what the percentage of illicit drug users on this board and how it compares to the general population, but it is a part of the playa for many. There is a distain of law enforcement within the culture, and that's not likely to change. All in all, however, if you're not seeking out that experience it's not likely you'll be exposed to it. As a member of the Bureau of Erotic Discourse, I would never want someone to think that the culture is so evolved that women (and men) need not be concerned about being raped, but I don't want anyone to get freaked out about the possibility. It's a city and it has city crime. But a whole lot less than other cities of 50,000. I've never had a problem with law enforcement, and as a former member of the Emergency Services Department I am grateful that there are higher authorities to turn the nasty stuff over to. Don't act like a dick to or near them and you'll be fine.

And speaking of acting like a dick, what's with you guys. Lure the newbies into a false sense of security by acting polite, and then snark them. You lot have all the finesse of a bucket of worms.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jkisha » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:58 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
And speaking of acting like a dick, what's with you guys. Lure the newbies into a false sense of security by acting polite, and then snark them. You lot have all the finesse of a bucket of worms.

Hey, you know how it is with us 'depends' crowd--at least we have an excuse--it's the ahlzheimers setting in.

And I don't think we were acting polite at any time during this discourse; we snarked him right from the get-go.

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:15 pm

Yeah, and you just about scared him off. If he doesn't come to the burn, one of you is going to have to take his place as the "human torch" that lights the man.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby jkisha » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:30 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Yeah, and you just about scared him off. If he doesn't come to the burn, one of you is going to have to take his place as the "human torch" that lights the man.

Oh damn, I forgot that we needed an unsuspecting virgin for the tourch lighter.

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby ygmir » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:49 am

hey, JK, a new camp theme:

S.H.C. camp........whoever lights off, is "the one".........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby jkisha » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:15 am

ygmir wrote:hey, JK, a new camp theme:

S.H.C. camp........whoever lights off, is "the one".........

Sounds good to me! :)

JK
JK
jkisha

Re: Angry People

Postby Toolmaker » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:01 pm

Screener wrote:Wow, what an angry group this is. Why is it that a few bad apples choose to screw things up for everyone else? I thought BM was supposed to be a non-violent, peaceful gathering of like-minded individuals.

And now this?

You're thinkin of the Rainbow Gathering.. as far as like minded goes the Radical Inclusion principle makes sure that will never happen. I don't think BM is for you. Look into the rainbow thing.. thats more you're speed.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Re: antim is missing the point

Postby AntiM » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:03 pm

epic wrote:AntiM wrote "On the other hand, those of us who choose not to do drugs for whatever reason had a wonderful time with no fear of being busted."
WRONG! The cops don't respect anyone's rights and obeying the law is no defense from harassment. LEOs mere presence in large numbers staring at you is intimidating and confrantational. When all BM attendees are looked at as potential criminals, which they are, LE walks all over everyone. Illegal searches and detentions are very common.
The laws are broadly enough written that at some point all of us are unknowingly breaking some obscure rule. You can get detained and written a ticket at any time for virtually any reason. Sure you might win if you drive back to Northern Nevada to appear in court. If you don't believe me see this: http://lawyersforburners.com/site/ http://lawyersforburners.com/site/

I just wandered back in here. Hey, epic, you're wrong. Bite me. I get along just fine with LEOs. Maybe the retired Navy thing does the trick.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: antim is missing the point

Postby jkisha » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:43 pm

AntiM wrote:
I just wandered back in here. Hey, epic, you're wrong. Bite me. I get along just fine with LEOs. Maybe the retired Navy thing does the trick.

I have to say that I too have never had any problems with LEO and have found them quite congenial. (Both off and on the playa.)

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby unjonharley » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:11 pm

In 8yrs of Bm, The closest I've been to a cop. I sometimes spaz. My arm & leg will move & shake on there own. A depaty saw this happen. He was out the pick-up in a shake and ready to help me. I got it under control and he went back to his job.

Another time. Two or three cops busted Captian Goddamit and gave him a jr. boaters badge and a whistle.
unjonharley

Re: Bummer

Postby fciron » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:22 pm

[quote="Screener"]-snip-
Our first thread to read on the board was this one about crime stats and arrests. We are now losing our interest in taking the time and expense to attend if we are going to be hassled by drug users and police protecting them from themselves and others. We are also concerned by the number of thieves and rapists that are reportedly lurking at BM.

If we wanted this atmosphere, we'd just drive to the crack neighborhoods in our own town and be done with it. We don't drive through those neighborhoods, for good reason. And, now it looks like we will be setting ourselves up for more problems than we want to deal with if we attend Burning Man.
-snip-

I'd love to hear comments from others that might paint a better picture of life on the Playa - sans drug addicts, camp thieves and rapists.[/quote]

As you've stated, this was the first thread that you read. That is a choice that you made. You could have gotten a different picture of Bman by clicking on any of a thousand other threads. If you click on the crime thread then expect to read about crime.

Burning Man is not a 'peaceful gathering of like-minded individuals'. It is a loud, disruptive, wild gathering of frequently contentious individuals. If you can't deal with uncomfortable experiences (like driving through poor neighborhoods) then you can expect to have a hard time on the playa. A lot of the art and performance is specifically intended to push you out of your comfort zone. (The other half always seems to end with getting my bare ass spanked.) People will be doing reckless things with unstable vehicles and structures; frequently these will be reckless acts involving flammable materials and or suggestive behavior.

Read some other threads, read the Survival Guide and preparation section on the BMan site, check out the pictures on the BMan site (the parent of this forum), look up some videos on youtube. Do not search eplaya for crime stats and get worked up over one little thread.
Strickland Propane is proud to be supplying liquified natural gas explosive power to the art installations of the mega festival Burning Man!!!
fciron

Postby gyre » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:52 pm

I am impressed that you have criminals that will stay in their designated neighborhoods.

They won't stay put in most cities.
Most people only have an illusion of safety.
gyre

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:06 am

I saw a cop at BM, and he looked at me.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby ygmir » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:12 am

Gyre: my illusion of safety is enhanced through a rifle scope........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby ygmir » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:13 am

mdmf007 wrote:I saw a cop at BM, and he looked at me.

ooohhh, a "moment"..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:04 am

Naughty Rangers ARE the BEST!!!! I don't think they work the event any more, they work PRE Event and then PARTY with US for the EVENT!!!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:08 am

And anyone who is worried to much about- what other people are doing- WHATEVER it may be - should STAY HOME or go to your local camp ground- Your gonna be tooooooo closed minded to handle Burningman!!!
Barbie

Re: Angry People

Postby Sail Man » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:06 pm

Screener wrote:Wow, what an angry group this is. Why is it that a few bad apples choose to screw things up for everyone else? I thought BM was supposed to be a non-violent, peaceful gathering of like-minded individuals.

And now this?

They are not angry Screener, they are snarky, there IS a difference, and it is all in good fun. Spend some time in the other threads and you'll pick this up. BM is not at all what you'd expect, it sure wasnt for me, and I took my 6 yr old! We had a blast, no problems whatsoever. There were not crackheads running all over, my only interaction with the LEO's was when one of them gave my son a sticker, and our camping neighbors were way cool, of course we stayed in kidsville. The experience is how YOU make it. Do you want to chill at your camp at night with a couple cold ones and play euchre with your neighbors? Do it! Do you want to go out at night and check out the art cars on the playa, trip out on the lights and fire effects? Do it! Maybe a trip to the Booby Bar for a beverage? Or tripping the lights fantastic at the Black Rock Roller Derby? Its all there for you to explore. So before you get all bent out of shape over a little playful banter, I suggest you check out the various other threads here, there are a gazillion that talk about diff aspects of everything. We can be fun. And we can be snarky, more so if you come across like a pompous ass :D By the way, I am NOT retired, but my job as a medic often affords me many hrs of downtime, which is a good thing, not much mayhem going on, and more time for fun. :P
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Sail Man » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:14 pm

unjonharley wrote:In 8yrs of Bm, The closest I've been to a cop. I sometimes spaz. My arm & leg will move & shake on there own. A depaty saw this happen. He was out the pick-up in a shake and ready to help me. I got it under control and he went back to his job.

Another time. Two or three cops busted Captian Goddamit and gave him a jr. boaters badge and a whistle.

Just great!! A noisy boat AND a whistle :lol:
I can just imagine him trying to direct traffic from the helm :D

Sail Man

Postby ibdave » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:02 pm

Barbie wrote:And anyone who is worried to much about- what other people are doing- WHATEVER it may be - should STAY HOME or go to your local camp ground- Your gonna be tooooooo closed minded to handle Burningman!!!

We Have a WINNER........ 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Green Wood » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:29 pm

There are queers at BM

It's really true
I might be green, but I can burn brite with the help of my playa friends!
Green Wood

Postby Barbie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm

Queers and Freaks and Drug Addicts oh MY...
Barbie

Postby gyre » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:17 am

There is a good chance there will be some canadians there.
gyre

Postby Sail Man » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:52 am

Screener?! Screener?!!!!

Damn, scared off another one :roll:

Well, I guess in this case it was all for the better.

Simon?! Clean-up in aisle 7!

:lol:

Sail Man

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:35 am

Green Wood wrote:There are queers at BM

It's really true

I always got along fine with queers.. its the queens I can't stand. Funny how one letter can change an entire personality.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby jkisha » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:57 am

Toolmaker wrote:
Green Wood wrote:There are queers at BM

It's really true

I always got along fine with queers.. its the queens I can't stand. Funny how one letter can change an entire personality.

Besides an "R" and an "N"; what's the difference between a queer and a queen?

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby Barbie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:42 pm

You should be alright around the Queers, Queens, Freaks, Geeks, & Drug Addicts...

BUT I tell YOU Hide from those darn Canadians....
Barbie

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Art & Performance