To anyone approved for an artcar!

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:45 pm

ah welcome MK *** passes MK a beer**** i bin sitting here for a while awaiting company please pass me some popcorn....
" Holy shit did that just fucking happen"
....anything is possible in the wacky land of imagination
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby capjbadger » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:17 pm

MikeVDS wrote:
As far as the city being at capacity that is not true or they would restrict number of tickets sold

I was talking about vehicles, not people.

Do you have any numbers to back that up or is it just a guess?
I think with an extra 1,800,000 sq ft this year, we're far from capacity. :)

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Kenny Z » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:09 am

sktELEMENT, if I were you, I would take a welding class and buy a welder. I think one of the questions they ask themselves when deciding is: Can you easily convert it back to the original vehicle?

I don't think money is an issue here. For the 2006 year my friend and I decided we would construct one. He took a welding class and I grabbed some old bed frames from my garage and it thus began! We had to buy an engine, lights, faux fur and old go-kart frame so we could use parts of the steering system and wheels. All in all, since most of the stuff was scrap metal, it didn't cost much at all. We named our vehicle the "Blue Light Special" (as in cheap K-mart sales) and because the majority of the lights and color was blue. By the way, the first year picture I sent was of us constructing it because it wasn't done yet. That probably helped them to see that some real effort was being put into the end product.

Also, if I'm seeing it right, your vehicle only holds two people. In my opinion (and it's strictly my opinion), mutant vehicles serve two functions:

#1 To be fun and interesting to look at and,
#2 To be able to pick up people along the way and socialize with them.

The less you can do with #2, the more you should work on #1.

Yes, mutant vehicles are fun. I have trouble walking into camps and talking to people but if there is room in my vehicle, people come to me and ask me for a ride. That makes meeting people so much easier. When the vehicle filled up, it was hard to say "no you can't have a ride" so we built a trailer the next year. Anyway, just something to consider when or if you modify it.

Lastly, just remember, it's better to be denied now then to haul the vehicle all the way out there only to have to keep it secured in your camp. You should be thanking them.

I hope you still enjoy Burning Man this year.
Kenny Z

Postby TomServo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:52 am

was a Hottie, a few years back. we denied a jeep covered with mirrors and had an air conditioner..was a great service, to blow cold air..but it was stilll a fucking jeep. That was several years ago..dont know the asshole factor these days. Only guy I denied had a VW van dressed in drift wood...was impressed, but had to deny ...he showed me his lighting system, and assured hed get a night permit. Fuck I hated that job..
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:09 am

I think you should consider looking at vehicles that get approved this year as a baseline..

When folks like Doc Pyro get denied its kinda hard to sympathize with new vehicles of any sort.

Aside from not looking the least bit like a recognizable factory ride, consider the public transportation factor, consider having FIRE effects, and consider asking nicely in the start of the next thread. You will likely get more help from the community if you don't come off as a rabble rouser.

Oh yeah..

DustDevil ROCKS!!!
Toolmaker

Postby willyloafofphora » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:22 am

Whats wrong with rabble rousing? Burning Man was founded by rabble rousers and so was this country for that matter. Why does everyone always seem to forget that.
Excrement, incestuous person. I require my copulating currency, incestuous person.
willyloafofphora

Postby Dustdevil » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:52 am

There is nothing wrong with rabble rousing. There are those that believe having me on the Performance Safety Team is having the fox guard the henhouse. However, when Sktelement started this thread his intent was to use an entry pass that someone else had earned. We are playing in the BLMs' backyard and their stick will always be bigger than ours. That dictates that we must play by their rules. They have let us control the fire art and Mutant Vehicles. Could you imagine the effect if the local fire marshall had to come in to inspect and approve things like Crude Awakening. The BLM won't give us the option. They will ban all but essential vehicles if they get out of hand. They have the authority to do so. A little bit of restraint can go a long way.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby geekster » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:59 am

"Yes, but you forgot about the 20 or so prisms hung all around the go kart to create rainbows, and the giant speaker installed on the top for sound. "

Yeah, well, if it LOOKS like a go kart with 20 prisms hung all around, a speaker on top, and some EL wire on it, it is going to get rejected.

The "looks like a go kart" part is the primary thing there.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby TomServo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:13 pm

seem to remember "cannot look like base vehicle" as one of the criteria. You could glue a million fucking peanut shells on a Ford Taurus, and it's still going to look like a Ford Taurus....
TomServo

Postby Dato » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:14 pm

Man, this was a fun thread to read! I can't believe you thought someone was gonna give you their pass! haha.

The MV situation is getting tough. With the city getting as packed as it is, I didn't even ride my mv during the latter part of the week because I was afraid of running into someone. They have no choice but to limit the number of MVs, and the number of application is growing, so something's gotta give.

I didn't think I was going to get accepted this year, especially since mine only carries one person.

Then again, I can guarantee noone will have able to tell what the MV started out as, and it's really no bigger than a bike, so I guess that helped.
Dato

Postby Kenny Z » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:22 pm

TomServo wrote: You could glue a million fucking peanut shells on a Ford Taurus, and it's still going to look like a Ford Taurus....

Wasn't that an option on the 1989 model?
Kenny Z

Mutant rejects

Postby Marscrumbs » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:56 pm

Campmate also got rejected as his eco-friendly mutant vehicle wasn't mutanted enough. Gee made from pvc and bike parts and he drives it safely to the local market. Does not look like anything else but it only held two people so it didn't serve the Master.

I think nobody should make artcart/Mutant vehicles anymore. Let Harvey pay for them all and give out grants. We are subsidising a millionaires dream this year.
Marscrumbs

Postby willyloafofphora » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:31 pm

What a great idea. Then no one would be upset if they got rejected because they'd still have a free art car.
Excrement, incestuous person. I require my copulating currency, incestuous person.
willyloafofphora

Postby Dusza Beben » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:30 pm

Seems to me that getting a desorated cart rejected by the DMV would be
about as difficult as getting a macaroni sculpture rejected by the Smithsonian.
Honestly it's easier to get where you want to go on a bike anyway. It's not too late to fabricate a frame for a bike to hang the prisms from!
Our camp had 3 MV's denied this year, no biggie, It's just an excuse to go bigger and better!

You want to see a proper mutant vehicle? Check out the contraption or the neverwas haul. Now That's Mutant!

DB
Agripunk,
For the angry farmer in all of us.
Dusza Beben

Postby MikeVDS » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:46 pm

capjbadger wrote:
MikeVDS wrote:
As far as the city being at capacity that is not true or they would restrict number of tickets sold

I was talking about vehicles, not people.

Badger

Yep, I do have numbers for that. The numbers are that some number of people are being rejected. What is the point of rejecting anyone if we could have as many vehicles out there as we wanted? BMorg decided that limiting to a point was more beneficial than to let everyone go wild with any car they want. We're not at "capacity" of what the desert can hold, but we're at capacity of what BMorg deems makes the event better instead of worse. You could argue in circles all day about what would be the ideal number of cars out there but it's all just opinion and the ones who call the shots for BM are the only opinions that really matter in the case anyway. I hate rules but many of them are there for a reason.
MikeVDS

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby MozyBonz » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:46 pm

Dusza Beben wrote:Seems to me that getting a desorated cart rejected by the DMV would be
about as difficult as getting a macaroni sculpture rejected by the Smithsonian.
Honestly it's easier to get where you want to go on a bike anyway. It's not too late to fabricate a frame for a bike to hang the prisms from!
Our camp had 3 MV's denied this year, no biggie, It's just an excuse to go bigger and better!

You want to see a proper mutant vehicle? Check out the contraption or the neverwas haul. Now That's Mutant!

DB

MozyBonz

Postby willyloafofphora » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:49 pm

I think the Smithsonian could use a few good macaroni sculptures and more finger paintings. They're just so damn hoyty toyty.
willyloafofphora

Postby Dusza Beben » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:06 pm

Thanks Mozy! You're my hero!

DB
Agripunk,
For the angry farmer in all of us.
Dusza Beben

Re: Mutant rejects

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:20 pm

Marscrumbs wrote:Campmate also got rejected as his eco-friendly mutant vehicle wasn't mutanted enough. Gee made from pvc and bike parts and he drives it safely to the local market. Does not look like anything else but it only held two people so it didn't serve the Master.

I'm curious. Was it motorized/have an engine or was it human powered?
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:20 pm

Hey is the neverwashaul and there crew gunna be out there again this year anybody know?
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:23 pm

My understanding is that they will not be there this year. Too much cost and a lot of work to get it there.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:29 pm

www.neverwashaul.com is there site tells you about there stuff :( yeah looks like no signs of them coming this year on there :( dam i liked that thing....
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby Dork » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:54 pm

A few people in this thread mentioned new restrictions. Basically the same rules have been in place as long as I can remember. I can only remember about 5 years, but still that's a long time in BMland. The only difference is they're getting better at evenly enforcing them. There will still be screwups because humans are involved, but as time goes on they will be lessened.

Due to the power of unmerciful bitching, some rules take years to solidify. I'm curious what will happen to the "no" ticket sales at the gate thing. Powerful bitchers and namedroppers will emerge and find a way to overcome the rule this year. Mark my words.

I was involved in creating one of those crappy MVs that somehow got a license 5 years ago because someone knew someone or whatever. I didn't know it was going to be that bad until it was too late. That car wouldn't get a license today despite being radically altered and a lot of money being put into it. That's a good thing. The next one I worked on was much better. Probably still borderline by today's standards, but better. If I had the money and will to build another one this year it would be totally kickass. Or at least I'd try to make it so, and accept it I failed.

Don't look at yesterday's bar! It keeps moving. Stay well ahead of it and you have nothing to worry about.
Dork

Postby capjbadger » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:19 pm

MikeVDS wrote:
capjbadger wrote:
MikeVDS wrote:I was talking about vehicles, not people.

Badger

Yep, I do have numbers for that. The numbers are that some number of people are being rejected. What is the point of rejecting anyone if we could have as many vehicles out there as we wanted? BMorg decided that limiting to a point was more beneficial than to let everyone go wild with any car they want. We're not at "capacity" of what the desert can hold, but we're at capacity of what BMorg deems makes the event better instead of worse. You could argue in circles all day about what would be the ideal number of cars out there but it's all just opinion and the ones who call the shots for BM are the only opinions that really matter in the case anyway. I hate rules but many of them are there for a reason.

The number of MV's getting rejected has for more to do with stuff like go karts being rejected than it does with any mythical "max capacity" for MV's.

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby TomServo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:24 pm

Kenny Z wrote:
TomServo wrote: You could glue a million fucking peanut shells on a Ford Taurus, and it's still going to look like a Ford Taurus....

Wasn't that an option on the 1989 model?

i believe it was!
TomServo

Postby TomServo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:37 pm

when I worked for the DMV, we at least gave rejected MV owners the option of remodifying their vehicle...and to come back. and..alot of times..were lenient to cars that didn't fit the BLM regulations, but were obviously a time consuming project.

but then..if you are a family member of a washoe county council member..you're guaranteed a sticker. Didn't even look at his motorcycle, and gave him a sticker. Politics..
TomServo

Postby willyloafofphora » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:31 am

[quote="TomServo"]when I worked for the DMV, we at least gave rejected MV owners the option of remodifying their vehicle...and to come back. and..alot of times..were lenient to cars that didn't fit the BLM regulations, but were obviously a time consuming project.

but then..if you are a family member of a washoe county council member..you're guaranteed a sticker. Didn't even look at his motorcycle, and gave him a sticker. Politics..[/quote]

Wow. What complete and utter bullshit. I had no idea that politics in Black Rock were so closely related to politics in Tijuana. I don't even want to think about how pissed my homies are going be if they see a motorcycle with el wire or something like that cruising around with a license.
willyloafofphora

Postby MikeVDS » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:37 am

The number of MV's getting rejected has for more to do with stuff like go karts being rejected than it does with any mythical "max capacity" for MV's.

I agree yet disagree. If an art car is of a certain quality, yes they will let it in because it will add to the event. If it's not good enough for them, and they reject it, it's because they feel that it will detract rather than add. So there is room, but not just for anyone. They obviously feel it's at the point where ok vehicles detract from the event, but spectacular ones still are worth the trade-off of having yet one more vehicle driving around. It's not a hard line they have drawn. It's a line that can shift if you can show that there is a reason they should allow more vehicles out there. If cars were no problem, they would allow them, and not reject anyone. The fact is that more cars cause more problems, so they keep them to a bare minimum, only allowing great ones through (or some people sneak them through the DMV paperwork with their friends, but that's a different issue)
MikeVDS

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby TomServo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:49 am

willyloafofphora wrote:
TomServo wrote:when I worked for the DMV, we at least gave rejected MV owners the option of remodifying their vehicle...and to come back. and..alot of times..were lenient to cars that didn't fit the BLM regulations, but were obviously a time consuming project.

but then..if you are a family member of a washoe county council member..you're guaranteed a sticker. Didn't even look at his motorcycle, and gave him a sticker. Politics..

Wow. What complete and utter bullshit. I had no idea that politics in Black Rock were so closely related to politics in Tijuana. I don't even want to think about how pissed my homies are going be if they see a motorcycle with el wire or something like that cruising around with a license.

He had his sticker..and was no ELwire on the bike..just leather shit or stuffed animals....can't remember. The rule of thumb back then, was "the locals get what they want."
TomServo

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:08 am

As far as early review goes, I submitted my concept to the dmv a year before I picked up the first piece of steel.
I had a fairly quick response.

Some concepts are not going to be so easy to respond to.

Some ideas sound lame and look great executed well.

But if you ask questions that can be answered, you can do it anytime.
gyre

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Art & Performance