To anyone approved for an artcar!

To anyone approved for an artcar!

Postby sktELEMENT » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:07 am

I unjustly got denied for an artcar in which I have invested thousands of dollars into. It is safe, radically illuminated, and follows all necessary criteria. They think its is not mutant enough to be an artcar. I think I got rejected because I did not have a good picture.

I am asking someone if they would send me their confirmation e-mail so I can bring it anyway. Please help me out, I really feel cheated after putting so much into it!

sktelement@aol.com
sktELEMENT

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:22 am

*** sets up camping chair*** oh boy this one will get a lotta snark!
" Holy shit did that just fucking happen"
....anything is possible in the wacky land of imagination
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby capjbadger » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:39 am

You have GOT to be kidding. First off, you're posting on an open forum that anyone can see. Second, the acceptance emails are personalized. You can't just transfer them. Third, when you go to the DMV to get your actual tags, they check those letters.
If your MV was as well thought out as your post, it's no wonder why it didn't get invited.

No one is going to give up their letter to you. They have also spent thousands and months (if not years) of work.

Why don't you post your application and pics here and we'll tell you why you were "unjustly" denied.

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby geekster » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:37 am

Agreed, post your pics and your application.

Here is one key. If you show someone a picture of your art car and they ask "what was that thing originally?" then you have a good chance of getting it approved. If you can still see that it is an 87 Dodge pickup, it doesn't matter if you spent a zillion gigabucks on it.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Dustdevil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:52 am

Sktelement,

You are a lying sack of shit. It is people like you that stir up trouble because you are too lazy to build a real MV. Post a picture or I will. I am guessing you don't have the balls to show us a picture. Putting El wire on a go cart is neither art nor mutant. BTW, if you invested thousands of dollars, they ripped you off.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby capjbadger » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:48 am

Dustdevil wrote:Sktelement,

You are a lying sack of shit. It is people like you that stir up trouble because you are too lazy to build a real MV. Post a picture or I will. I am guessing you don't have the balls to show us a picture. Putting El wire on a go cart is neither art nor mutant. BTW, if you invested thousands of dollars, they ripped you off.

Whoa... What the hell DD? Why are you jumping his shit? I mean yeah, it's a dumb post, but shit man...
Or do you know something we don't?

Post a picture or I will.

You have a pic of his MV?

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:33 am

It sounds to me that DD has seen the vehicle, and if the description is correct; no, a golf cart with EL wire is not a mutant vehicle.
MikeVDS

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby Dustdevil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:25 am

I didn't say golf cart. I said go cart. This guy is way out of line.
Dustdevil

Postby geekster » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:28 am

"I have invested thousands of dollars into"

A go kart? Thousands of dollars into a go kart?
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby MozyBonz » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:41 am

I got denied for an artcar
that was your first mistake art cars don't get approved Mutant vehicles do.

Dustdevil wrote:Sktelement,

Post the picture so we know what it looks like.
MozyBonz

Dont know why everyone is freaking out...

Postby sktELEMENT » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:35 pm

Seriously, its not that big of deal to ask that, this is my first effort, and to me I put a lot into it, it was something I would add year after year. Bigger and more grandiose with each year.

For a first time contribution I think it is pretty damn good.
sktELEMENT

Postby Dustdevil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:00 pm

Just had to push me, didn't you? The GK 03 in the lower part of the page is similar to his Mutant Vehicle. The GK 03 is lacking a strobe light and El Wire. NO OTHER CHANGES WERE MADE! Again, similar vehicle, not exactly the same. Different manufacturor no doubt.

http://www.roketa.com/product/productlist/259.shtml
Dustdevil

Postby sktELEMENT » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:14 pm

Had to push you? You gotta be kidding like I am trying to push you... Dont know why you are taking this so personally. Didnt know it was one of YOU who personally rejected my app.

Yes, but you forgot about the 20 or so prisms hung all around the go kart to create rainbows, and the giant speaker installed on the top for sound.

You won obviously, hope you feel big. I was just trying to bring something I feel I put a lot of work into that I was and am still going to build upon each year. You make it sound like im stirring trouble Im just trying to supply a good time for myself, my friends, and fellow burners. Dont know why you have to be so hard about it.

Peace
sktELEMENT

Postby Dustdevil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:21 pm

Hate to dissappoint you, but I have neither the power nor the desire to reject Mutant Vehicles that don't come up to standards of appearance. I like vehicles. I work on them for a living. Buying a gokart and hanging some bling on it is not a MV. Did you ever take the time to look and see what an MV should look like. You didn't build this, you bought a gokart and decorated it. I feel that attempting to get around the rules that the BLM sets down for the event stipulations IS stirring up trouble. The BLM would like nothing better than to ban ALL vehicles from the event. If we police ourselves this won't happen. Allowing gokarts to drive around will be the shortest route to the end of all except Staff golf carts and police vehicles.
Dustdevil

Postby ygmir » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:21 pm

ImageImage
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby MozyBonz » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:32 pm

I have plans to use a similar chassis But I know that just hanging lights and speakers off it does not make it a MV.
MozyBonz

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:17 pm

sktELEMENT wrote:Had to push you? You gotta be kidding like I am trying to push you... Dont know why you are taking this so personally. Didnt know it was one of YOU who personally rejected my app.

Yes, but you forgot about the 20 or so prisms hung all around the go kart to create rainbows, and the giant speaker installed on the top for sound.

Peace

See....here is the problem.........

Clearly you didn't read the rules and requirements for getting permission
to bring your mutant vehicle thorougly.

In the fine print, right after all the radical transformation blah,blah,blah,
it clearly states that you have to injure yourself while working on it.

Get the picture ???
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:21 pm

Mozy i love your idea for your MV that is bad ass..... can't wait to get to the burn to talk to TomServo about the MV me and him want to build.....
Funky Monkey Mech

Air BRC

Postby mk-ultra » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:49 pm

Still trying to figure out how to pull this one off. Regularly scheduled flights across the playa would, of course, include an in-flight meal (surprise: it's bacon)... and '60s vintage pork industry documentaries for entertainment.

mk-ultra

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:02 pm

hey MK the picture won't work... either that or my computer is spazing again :(
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby willyloafofphora » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:03 pm

I heard that like 1/5 of all mutant vehicles were rejected this year. An all time high. It used to be that if you brought something that was at least somewhat mutated and it was shown to be safe and well lit you were in. Before that you didn't have to register shit. I have friends who mutated the shit out of a vehicle and were denied on the vague basis that it was not mutated enough. I've seen it and it is a hell of a lot better/more mutated than many of the more prolific vehicles I've seen out there before. I mean even the Purple Palace still looks like a city bus with some shit on top of it. No ones going to look at it and say gee I wonder what that used to be before it was a mutant vehicle. My friends are veteran burners and they set out to make something that was on par with or better than the things they'd been cruising around on for years and they succeeded. They invested thousands of dollars and many long hours of work and then got a big FUCK YOU from the DMV who are behaving worse than the default DMV. At least they can't deny you registration because they think your car is ugly. If the BLM is cracking down on mutant vehicles fine you can't really reason with the Indian killers. My question is if the DMV knew they were going have to deny so many vehicles why did they stick with their same old registration process. How hard would it have been for them to make people submit all plans for approval back in say November or whenever the art grant apps are due. That way people would know what they had to do before they spent all the time and money. As it is the DMV come off looking like uncaring assholes. When really the uncaring assholes are the BLM. I mean shit they still bust people for smoking pot what fucking world do they think they live in.
Excrement, incestuous person. I require my copulating currency, incestuous person.
willyloafofphora

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:18 pm

YO DUSTDEVIL!

I want to personally thank you for your private response to me and all that you do, in a really positive sense, for the DMV/BMOrg community. I recognize that it is difficult to juggle multiple personalities and desires and expect to come up with a consensus. The rules, I realize, are there for a perpose, and far and away most of them are positive. As you know I have had an unfortunate ordeal with the DMV but as much as I would like to bitch like a baby, I also recognize the need for order and structure. But, should the occasion arise, that Tieland should somehow make the cut, I would not forget it........

Doc Pyro
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: To anyone approved for an artcar!

Postby willyloafofphora » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:37 pm

[quote="sktELEMENT"]

I am asking someone if they would send me their confirmation e-mail so I can bring it anyway. Please help me out, I really feel cheated after putting so much into it!

sktelement@aol.com[/quote]

Forget the confirmation E-mail you'd still be denied on site. If your really Gung Ho just steal someone else's license. People leave their mutant vehicles unattended all the time and I'm sure they could just explain their situation and get another one. Just don't hold me accountable for what happens to you if you get caught.

Shit the BORG even says drugs aren't allowed at Burning Man

Rules are obviously meant to be broken.

Except for the one about moop
and the one about pissing on the playa
and the one about speeding (seriously you could kill some one)
and the ones about fires
and the one about being loud
and the one about vending
and the one about dogs.
Wait which ones aren't meant to be Broken.
Excrement, incestuous person. I require my copulating currency, incestuous person.
willyloafofphora

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:18 pm

I was just trying to bring something I feel I put a lot of work into that I was and am still going to build upon each year.

Build on it for a few more years then try again. I realize you're trying to bring something, but cars have become a burden on the city. We are at capacity. Yours is neat, but others are great and way beyond what you have done. Take yours to a regional that allows driving or make your own event, and it'll be fun. Burningman has grown from it's early days and we have to restrict the neat to make room for the great.
MikeVDS

Postby sktELEMENT » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:30 pm

Weak Sauce...If I did not have such immense respect for burning man I would say fuck you to all and find a way to sneak it in or bullshit at the front, jack someones tabs and drive all the fuck I wanted to...

However I do have respect for the event so I will not of course...As far as the city being at capacity that is not true or they would restrict number of tickets sold...soon we will watch it hit 100,000 that is only a few years away. They playa will only expand...and more and more vehicles will be brought. I was here last year it was not too crowded.

I will just deck it out more and bring it next year, one thing for sure, this will not happen twice.
sktELEMENT

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:51 pm

I think rather than decking it out more, you should BUILD something! Decorating an existing vehicle is likely to result in another denial.
From the way it's been described on here, I would have denied it myself if I were in the DMV, it doesn't sound like it fits the spirit of a BM mutant vehicle... but I don't really know since you still haven't posted a picture.
It's super easy to post a pic, you should put one up or this whole discussion is pointless, most of us don't really know what your vehicle is.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:52 pm

As far as the city being at capacity that is not true or they would restrict number of tickets sold

I was talking about vehicles, not people.
MikeVDS

Postby mk-ultra » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:11 pm

sktELEMENT wrote:Weak Sauce...If I did not have such immense respect for burning man I would say fuck you to all and find a way to sneak it in or bullshit at the front, jack someones tabs and drive all the fuck I wanted to...

However I do have respect for the event so I will not of course...As far as the city being at capacity that is not true or they would restrict number of tickets sold...soon we will watch it hit 100,000 that is only a few years away. They playa will only expand...and more and more vehicles will be brought. I was here last year it was not too crowded.

I will just deck it out more and bring it next year, one thing for sure, this will not happen twice.

Biting my tongue... but here's a suggestion:

How about submitting your proposal for a Mutant Vehicle ahead of time next year? Provide diagrams & renderings of what you envision the final product will be... and get some feedback before shelling out a lot of bucks and time on something that doesn't pass muster. Don't just build it and submit it for approval.

Sneaking your rig in isn't an option. You'll get nabbed at the entrance and have to leave it outside of BRC for the duration. Even if you do manage to get it in -- you'll be nabbed by DMV folks who are looking for people doing just what you're threatening... and you won't find a shred of sympathy if they kick you to the curb (or OUT) at that point.

Post your ideas here and let veteran burners and people that work the event guide you. I think you'd avoid a lot of frustration if you did... and find a lot more support.

Keep talking about sneaking in and bitching about how unfair things are *after* doing a project... rather than working with folks to make it happen? You're going to be eaten alive.
mk-ultra

Postby Token » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:18 pm

It is so much fun to see this be such a relevant image...

'Nuff Said
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby mk-ultra » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:33 pm

/me grabs popcorn... 'cause this thread is clearly going to end well.
mk-ultra

Next

Return to 2008 Art & Performance