looking for a home for my dance floor

looking for a home for my dance floor

Postby drnathanfurious » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:52 pm

I hope this is the right place for this...

I have built (or will have completed in a week or two) a 10x10 foot disco dance floor... kind of like what you remember from Saturday Night Fever, but with a better, more awesome kind of sequence... like a TV you can dance on. It's fully sequenced and because it uses LEDs the power requirements are minimal.

I'm looking for a theme camp of moderate size with a dance space and a DJ so I can set this thing up and have people dance on it. Camping on site is optional, but if the chemistry is right we would welcome space for shade structures and the three of us.
drnathanfurious

Postby The Chinese » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:48 am

Hehhee.. This sounds cool.... More details!!! How much power etc.. I have to talk to campmates, but I'm intrigued!!

Todd A. aka Chinese
The Biggest Distraction... Funk On the Playa, Live uncut Funk, TheBomb, Comin at you from the Transmorphogon, 500 Kilowatts of Pure Funk Power. You Will be groovin'. So when yer sick of the Boomp Boomp of the Burn, come down to the T-Dome and Learn....
The Chinese

Re: looking for a home for my dance floor

Postby MozyBonz » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:18 am

drnathanfurious wrote:I hope this is the right place for this...

I have built (or will have completed in a week or two) a 10x10 foot disco dance floor... kind of like what you remember from Saturday Night Fever, but with a better, more awesome kind of sequence... like a TV you can dance on. It's fully sequenced and because it uses LEDs the power requirements are minimal.

I'm looking for a theme camp of moderate size with a dance space and a DJ so I can set this thing up and have people dance on it. Camping on site is optional, but if the chemistry is right we would welcome space for shade structures and the three of us.

Any Pictures?

Come fine me this year at the Black Sabkha.
I have nothing this year. but I have something in the future your dance floor Would be perfect for. Shhhh don't tell anyone.
MozyBonz

Postby drnathanfurious » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:37 pm

[quote="The Chinese"]Hehhee.. This sounds cool.... More details!!! How much power etc.. I have to talk to campmates, but I'm intrigued!![/quote]

The current design calls for 20x20 pixels arranged in a rectangular grid. The floor is divided into 2x2' "tiles", each containing 16 6x6" pixels. Each pixel has four high-brightness LEDs (red, green, blue, white) which can be mixed to make almost any color. The floor is controlled by a computer which has software allowing the floor to display arbitrary patterns.

The maximum power draw is 160W, but because of the way it works I doubt it will go over 100W during regular use.

One cool thing about the way the code works is that the floor can assume any geometry you want. For example, you could make a 2x50' grid like a walkway, or even hang it on a wall or something. Maybe it could be a vertical column, I don't know.

I'll try and get some vids of it in action as soon as I can.
drnathanfurious

Check it out!

Postby reality » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:44 pm

We are building a stage already but we could add on if your intrested. myspace.com/ellipsis2007
reality

Postby Rusty AKA DRiBL » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:22 pm

Can I please play some funk and Disco for the people dancing on it!!

Ah... ah.. ah... ah ... stayin alive... stayin alive...

Mmmmm boogie nights brother
**Juggling is for everyone**
Rusty AKA DRiBL

Return to 2008 Art & Performance