Military Art Installation

Military Art Installation

Postby Pink Daddy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:49 am

I am putting together and organizing a military Art Installation. It's very last minute, very simple, but would be easier with a few people to help keep an eye on it.

Please contact me if you're interested...
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby BitterDan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:54 pm

What do you mean keep an eye on it? Is it something valuable that is going to require a "guard"? Frankly, if that's the case then I wouldn't bring it as no one is going to be responsible for it if something happens to it. Even if someone says they will "guard" it for x amount of hours does not 1) mean they will actually show up and 2) mean that they will actually stand there and guard it.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby Pink Daddy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:57 pm

No, no, no... not valuable at all. All art exhibits must be policed twice a day for MOOP and to transition from day to night/night to day. That is the only thing that is required for this piece...
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Dude....

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:38 pm

Dude whats up it is me Joe from Tribe... so whats the project you mentioned something on there i am willing to try and help if ya let me know what it is.... our camp is doing a big build out there so it gunna eat up a lotta my time but will try to help you with this one if i can....
" Holy shit did that just fucking happen"
....anything is possible in the wacky land of imagination
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby Hot Guava » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:50 pm

do you have any more info like where it is going to be placed and stuff
Hot Guava

Postby TomServo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:09 am

Is it a surprise? What is it?!!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:59 am

That's classified information.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby Pink Daddy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:52 am

I am planning on keeping it 'sensitive' for the time being. In regards to it's location, I haven't heard back on that point. It will be a very obvious art piece, especially for members of the military (if it gets pulled off correctly). I have requested that the specific information be listed after the Burn, but not before. It will be listed on the art map with an obvious name, for those attending.

My main concern is how I'm going to find that exact spot on the Playa. They could put me deep right, 300 paces from anything nearby, and it's all guesswork. I guess I'll figure it out.

PM me if you're seriously interested in helping out. You will be castrated if you violate OPSEC. This message will self destruct in 5... 4... 3...
Pink Daddy

Postby StevenGoodman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:35 am

Pink Daddy wrote:My main concern is how I'm going to find that exact spot on the Playa. They could put me deep right, 300 paces from anything nearby, and it's all guesswork. I guess I'll figure it out.

If you are a pre-registered Art Installation, the Artery will already have a spot for you on the playa. When you submitted your Art to the BMORG you should have specified where you want to be.

When you get to BM, you check in with the Artery, and they will take you out to your spot. There will be a marker nailed into the playa at your spot. They use GPS so they know where to go.

Now, finding the marker again without GPS is the hard part! This year I am going to bring something out with me to mark the spot, like an orange traffic cone or something!

Occasionally, they put an art piece in a bad spot, but you can get moved when you arrive. They are flexible. In 2005 my piece was about 600 feet out of place, but they were happy for me to move.

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:41 am

StevenGoodman wrote:
Now, finding the marker again without GPS is the hard part! This year I am going to bring something out with me to mark the spot, like an orange traffic cone or something!

Martini Steve

Someone will steal your traffic cone, unless you have someone keep an eye on it.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby BitterDan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:46 am

oneeyeddick wrote:
StevenGoodman wrote:

Martini Steve

Someone will steal your traffic cone, unless you have someone keep an eye on it.

buahahahaha
BitterDan

Postby Pink Daddy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:49 am

Interesting... guess I'm an obvious art newbie...
Pink Daddy

Postby BitterDan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:55 am

Finding your art installation:

1. Get a compass.
2. Get placed.
3. Look for nearest landmark (artmark? Make sure it's not an ART CAR!)
4. Go to that mark and look in the direction of your marker.
5. Note the angle on the compass.
6. Find project every time.
BitterDan

Postby Dusza Beben » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:12 pm

BitterDan wrote:Finding your art installation:

1. Get a compass.
2. Get placed.
3. Look for nearest landmark (artmark? Make sure it's not an ART CAR!)
4. Go to that mark and look in the direction of your marker.
5. Note the angle on the compass.
6. Find project every time.

Do we get a merit badge?!! :D :D :D

DB
Agripunk,
For the angry farmer in all of us.
Dusza Beben

Postby Pink Daddy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:08 pm

This piece has been approved for official placement. It will be located just outside of the temple, 12:00.
Pink Daddy

Return to 2008 Art & Performance