ONE GIANT LEAP

ONE GIANT LEAP

Postby brion 88 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:30 am

An Annoucement from Mission Uncontrol

ONE GIANT LEAP

Philosophical Statement:
One Giant Leap is a sculpture of the Apollo 11 Lunar Module. It is designed to allow both a visual and interactive experience by representing the first landing on the moon and allowing participants the ability to climb inside, and play out their own giant leap.
It is inspired by both our desire to create artwork that helps people see how things are made, as well as how valuable are our adult/child creative expressions through play, imagination and dream are. Ours is a very real goal of providing artwork that speaks to mankind greatest feat, the ability to turn dreams into realities. There is no “keep behind the ropeâ€
brion 88

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:47 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby brion 88 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:49 am

We got a note from Lady Bee expressing they got our Art grant Submission.

And I called some of people and we are discussing building into our base camp, cause franky, we think working with people we don't know from differnt areas is a brave new adventure.

So any of you who think it might be fun to help be a part of our little NASArt crew, we could use a few arty, nerdy types to widen our activities.

Anybody got some cool electronics they want to install in the module?
There is talk of an Lunar Rover (Moon Buggy).

Someone mentioned that we could come up with some fUn/undraisers as well as soem cool graphics to accounpany them. Any good illustrators out there?

There is talk of pusedo documentary running around us. Any aspiring filmmakers?

There is talk of much needed gruopies. People to do sexy posing with the nerdy technicians for publicity shoots. I don't know why this was suggested really.

or anybody like M and Bob with great idas of their own.

Lend us a few wayward thoughts.
You could even harrass us with shuttle crew jokes!
brion 88

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:36 pm

There have got to be NASA employees out in our studio audience today. Give yourselves a hand!
Maybe we can dig up some discarded space gadgets. A trip to the gift shop at Moffett's Space Museum may garner some ideas.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:53 pm

In 2004, NASA was a registered themecamp that were our backdoor neighbors.
They had 7 (or 9 ?), of these "mars " rovers going oround randomly on playa,
participants were supposed to report sightings so they could track progress for the whole week.

also in 2004 was "one giant leap ", can't remember the artist's name.

Reading your plans got my bells ringing........... GOOD LUCK !!! :)

Who's got a good pic of U-me ??? mine are crappy.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Cockpit Participate

Postby brion 88 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:11 am

You guys give us such great resources!

There are a few people that have expressed in interest in the project, but don't live very close to us, and I wanted to find ways of including people, so here is one idea.

We originally thought of building the Lunar module as a replica. Mostly just to get into the blueprints of the Apollo 11 and build the facade panels. But then I got to thinking of it more as an art project. a sculpture rather than a replica. So I started drawings of the LM from memory and really bad reference photos. Started designing the cockpit from my idea about 1960's technology and what I discovered was a much more user friendly cockpit than the ones in the blueprints.

There is something (for me) very attractive about building in the form of a sculpture because it starts the whole dialogue with the participant about the mix between reality and imagination. About real tech and glorified tech. I imagine people say "hey, ya know it's not a real lander." and "hey, this really works"

I never intended to build complete electronic cockpit but instead replicate the facade and intersperse sections of actual working electronics.

As Bob mentioned, space is an issue. So I decided to skip the vintage cockpit and build our own instead. One with more space for two people, seats and working electronics.

And then it struck me.
Toys

Beside being able to climb inside and role play, I could build dialogues between play and work by using working electric toys as the instrument panels.

A lot of toys have great buttons, and have radio functions, lights sounds etc.
I could spray paint them, doctor them up to disguise them and them install them into electronic panels, that would be them installed into the cockpit of the LM.

They are lightweight, built for heavy usage, run on batteries and easily modified.

Thai's also when I realized, this is how to get some creative others to participate from afar.

Given the dimensions, anyone could build their own electronic panel and we could install it when we get there!

A speak and spell, a light bright, anything!

What do you say. Want to hit up the local thrift store for an old toy you knew as a kid and turn it into a space navigation computer?
brion 88

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:42 am

sounds cool
mdmf007

Camp Name: ESD

First Challenger.... now this!

Postby brion 88 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:53 pm

"Brian -

After a very difficult and sometimes painful process, we have made our decisions on the 2008 funded art honorariums. On behalf of the Art Grant Committee, I'm sorry to tell you that we will not be able to fund your project this year. We received over 170 proposals, and some very tough decisions had to be made. We received a very large number of theme-related projects based on the American Dream, including many from abroad. In the end, we funded 41 projects.

Please do not be discouraged! Take a look at the projects we funded in 2007: www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/200 ... unded.html
to get a sense of what kind of work we tend to support. When the 2008 funded projects are announced in the JRS, probably next week, please review them as well. Some of the things we look for are: originality, interactivity, theme-relatedness ( although not required), good design, an interesting premise or idea beyond the physical object, and reasonable budgets. We do not fund domes, tents, teepees, yurts, stages, performance or activities.

We hope that some of you will go ahead with your projects anyway, and if so we wish you the best with your fundraising efforts, and we hope to see your work on the playa. Please register your project via our online art questionnaire: http://forms.burningman.com/ArtInstallation2008. You have until July 15 to do so, and one of our Artery staff will call you to discuss your project and to assist you.

Many thanks to all of you who are inspired to create art."

I guess we will not be ,anding on the playa this year.
brion 88

Return to 2008 Art & Performance