big dumb newbie monkey with big dumb newbie questions

big dumb newbie monkey with big dumb newbie questions

Postby giles goat boy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:27 pm

so, I have this unbelievably zap pow nifty++ idea which I am gradually making reality. how do I get this awesome thing set up to receive free electrical power from the BMORG? it's an art installation, I need zero funding, but free electrical power would be so effing kool.
giles goat boy

Postby Dustdevil » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:47 pm

You are not going to receive "free electrical power". None of the funded Playa projects receive free electrical power. What are your power requirements? If you require a great deal of power you might consider finding another artist or two and splitting the cost of a large generator. If you are only talking 4-5000 watts, you would be better off buying or borrowing a genny. If you do get one, the Honda EU series is quiet and reliable. To power up Crude Awakening we used a 70KW Whisperwatt unit. It also supplied power for the Muytator during the show. We actually kept a backup Honda EU2000 running during the show in the event the big unit went down. This was because the firing system and fuel control systems were powered by 110 volts. We could not afford a power interuption. Large units like the Whisperwatts can be rented on a weekly basis. Keep in mind that to a rental yard, where these are rented to contractors, a week is often 40 hours. If you exceed that you will pay more. A Honda burns very little fuel. Your fuel costs on a large unit will vary. For example, a 70KW running at 3/4 capacity will power a Village the size of Illumination Village and burn 1.5 gallons per hour of diesel fuel. Do NOT let anyone talk you into using bio diesel in those units. Too many problems. Also keep in mind the cost of the large genny will go up due to wiring. You will need to rent the cables and distro boxes as well. I have done the power for several large villages. I would be more than happy to answer any specific questions.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby Dustdevil » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:49 pm

I guess I should have also suggested that if this project is so nifty, why not apply for a grant and use the money to provide the power and perhaps enhance your idea. You must hurry though, I believe the deadline is February 1.
Dustdevil

Postby BitterDan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:23 pm

Q: How do I get on the grid at BM?

A: There is no grid at BM.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:27 pm

No public power provided. The only gennys that the ORG has are for infrastructure only. Not even large themecamps get free juice. OP was advised as much on tribe.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Dustdevil » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:52 pm

[quote="Toolmaker"]No public power provided. The only gennys that the ORG has are for infrastructure only. Not even large themecamps get free juice.

That isn't quite accurate. If you are located in the Center Camp circle you will have access to their grid. IE Spikes Vampire Bar..... Naturally this is for a very limited number of high profile theme camps. I still think if the idea is great, submit a proposal. The worst that can happen is they will say "No".
Dustdevil

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:09 am

Yeah, maybe it's changed, but it used to depend on location. My bike repair camp used to get BM power because it was on the 9:00 plaza... all the 3 and 9 plaza camps, as well as center camp ring camps, got power.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:06 am

last couple of posts were more accurate than the first dumbass replies....

if you are in a theme camp placed in the area surrounding Center Camp you have free electricity. We had it in 2005 when camped at Esplanade and Feedback Loop.

If you are not "lucky" enough to be placed on the grid, contact someone who heads up a theme camp that is and ask them if you can display your awesome art piece in their camp fronting the playa.

Depending on how much juice you need, consider deep cycle batteries and a solar recharger
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Toolmaker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:54 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:last couple of posts were more accurate than the first dumbass replies....

Sorry.. just repeating whats listed on the website. I was under the impression that normal campers had no chance in hell of gettin free power. Guess I was a dumbass for thinking one had to bring their own juice for their camp.

Can I link into Burning Man's power grid?
A. Whoa Betty! The power grid in Center Camp is for the civic entities like the Rangers, Playa Info, the Artery and BMIR (our radio station). You will need to use your on-board generator. Out of consideration of your neighbors, we recommend using your generator sparingly.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:14 pm

didnt specifically call any one person out as a dumbass. note, Toolmaker, you were not the first one two or three to reply to the OP. Take no offence, I was just in a foul ass mood yesterday and hate to see bright-eyed newbies deflated.
Teo del Fuego

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:17 pm

OK, I was the first two replies. I honestly felt that explaining to him that there is no grid and then asking what his requirements were and offering three suggestions was not in any way deflating him. I offered realistic solutions. Perhaps it is best to stay off this forum and allow others to learn on their own.

I offer my apology to you Giles for having been negative in my response. It was not my intention.
Dustdevil

Postby blyslv » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:48 pm

The BMORG has changed their policy regarding how they support artists. It is fully explained in the manual, under the heading "Radical Self-Reliance."
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:58 pm

good grief, the one time I really get snarky in a sea of snarkiness everyone goes and gets offended. Darn!

Yes, Virginia there is a grid at Burning Man but chances are real high you aint gonna be on it. Make buddies now with someone who is gonna be on it and see if you can plug in your art piece.
Teo del Fuego

Postby Rat Bastard » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:15 pm

Here's a radical self reliance idea.

Make a pedal powered generator. Then post a note on how to use it. If someone wants to see the WOW lights or whatever, they have to rely on their own self reliance to see it.

I'm all for large art but with so many "takers" and spectators out there I say fuck em and make them work for it. Hence making them real citizens. There's a lot of people out there that don't give a shit and don't respect people's work.

There are some pieces out there that are like this. If you want to enjoy it you have to get involved.
Read my posts with a grain of salt.
Rat Bastard

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:36 pm

<yawn>

The OP doesn't describe how much power or what for. But I'm sure everyone deserves their own Whisperwatt these days.

Power is overrated, anyway.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:30 am

You would'nt say that if your couch was heated.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:35 am

Rat Bastard wrote:Here's a radical self reliance idea.

Make a pedal powered generator. Then post a note on how to use it. If someone wants to see the WOW lights or whatever, they have to rely on their own self reliance to see it.

I'm all for large art but with so many "takers" and spectators out there I say fuck em and make them work for it. Hence making them real citizens. There's a lot of people out there that don't give a shit and don't respect people's work.

There are some pieces out there that are like this. If you want to enjoy it you have to get involved.

Cool, can you build that for my art project? ;)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Rat Bastard » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:11 pm

That wouldn't be radically self reliant on your part now would it, Dougly?
Rat Bastard

Postby scootert » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks for bringing art, or whatever cool idea it is, to the playa, on your first burn, no less! Thanks also for being sure it is lit (I hope that's part of what the power is for - if it's a project out on the playa). It's going to be a moonless year this year. I'm glad about that, personally.

Teo, you're one of the least snarky people on eplaya! DustDevil's post was helpful, I think , but yeah, the second one was a little challenging, tone-wise. As if my opinion mattered! But my opinion is that I respect you both.

Back on topic...I think the deep cycle battery with the solar charger is the most practical, but the panels are expensive of course. If you are at a camp with power, or you have a generator, maybe you could have two, or three batteries that you cycle through. You could be recharging some with a regular genny at camp, then go out to the artwork and swap in the freshly charged battery before nightfall. For mutant vehicle lighting I have two 12 volt, deep cycle batteries. I'm supposed to be able to get about 300 watts out of them for up to 14 hours. I have an inverter attached to them for AC power. Then I recharge them in the day with a "smart" charger designed to charge two 12v deep cycles. I power that with a Honda EU2000i generator. Small, quiet, 2000 watts. Expensive ($1000). It worked great.

Good luck and welcome!
scootert

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:45 pm

It's occurred to me that we can't even have a meaningful discussion of art project power until the OP tells us HOW MUCH power he needs.

Giles Goat Boy, what do you need? 12 volts? 120 volt AC? How many watts? If you're not sure, tell us what the electrical parts are and we can get a general idea. Otherwise, this is pointless, we don't know if you need a hearing aid battery or a nuclear power plant.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Rat Bastard » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:13 am

He prolly didn't check the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box.

Some one email his noob ass.
Rat Bastard

Return to 2008 Art & Performance