Hip Hop / Funk / B-boys & Girls in 2008

Hip Hop / Funk / B-boys & Girls in 2008

Postby itssunnyv » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:49 pm

Does anyone know of any groups or camps at Burningman who perform Hip Hop, Funk, Jazz, or are B-Boys & Girls?

I'd love to participate in one of those groups, and if there isn't already one, would like to see if anyone is interested in forming one. Last year was my first, so i was probably just unaware of such groups. I grew up on hip hop and funk and would love to see that on the playa along with all the fire, trance, and bass.

If anyone knows of a camp i should check out (especially if they're LA based), or is interested in starting something, please contact me!

Thanks everyone. Can't wait 'til the burn!
itssunnyv

Postby Toolmaker » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:00 pm

If you're gonna play hip hop at BM ya gotta do it with style. Play 2 Live Crew and play it LOUD!
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby DaddyMassive » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:08 pm

I luuuuve Hip Hop and Funk but, sadly I can't play any musical instruments and long ago figured the credability a white, middle class, English Pharoahe Monch impersonator could gain on 'da streets' was a challenge too far, so those skillz won't be leaving the bedroom.
But..! I most certainly will taking the opportunity to present the phatest (OLd School) Hip Hop, Funk & Soul internet piracy and a moderate obsession in wefunkradio can offer.

:D
DaddyMassive

TO CLARIFY

Postby itssunnyv » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:30 pm

lol - i really should have clarified my first post.

i'm looking to see if there are any dance collectives or groups out there that perform street dance style (hip hop, jazz, funk, fusion). i didn't see anything last year, but would love for that to be incorporated along with the fire and drums.

i'd love some input.

thanks!
itssunnyv

Postby blyslv » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:36 pm

Sounds like you need to start such a collective. If it's a good idea, you'll get lots of help.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Re: Hip Hop / Funk / B-boys & Girls in 2008

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:53 pm

itssunnyv wrote: I grew up on hip hop

Wow... I feel old! It hadn't even occurred to me that anyone could have "grown up on hip-hop" yet!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

I dance Hip Hop/Jazz/Funk!

Postby Lila baila » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:28 pm

Hey,

I dance hip hop (and jazz, tap, ballet, afro-). I also taught beg. & int. hip hop to boys and girls for 5 years! I LOVE DANCING, and would really love to work with you and anyone else on choreographing a hip hop/jazz/funk/whatever dance piece (or just learning a pre-coregraphed one - or improvising!). The only problem is I'm in Santa Fe, NM until June - then I'm in Boston for the Summer. But I am flexible around Burning Man time.

Just drop me a line and let me know what you have (or don't have) in mind!

~Lila
Lila baila

yes yes yes

Postby jaimito » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:40 pm

The same thing has been on my mind. hip hop burners haven't seemed to really dig into each other much... last year was almost an exception. CypherTown was a hiphop themed camp that had a lot planned until a wind storm picked their dome up into the air and slammed it down, twising the frame into something that looked like a pile of spaggetti. Some of their events, including their bboy and popping classes, were cancelled. Maybe next year.

But I'm down. Let me know if you want to start a collective. I have no idea what that means but it sounds needed.
jaimito

Postby ike » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:36 pm

You might be able to get some of your funk/breaks fix at the Black Rock Roller Disco; that place might also be a good rallying spot for hip-hop people even though it's really Roller-Disco focused.

Last year was my first burn and I didn't see much hip-hop either, and I also felt the lack of the house-style b-boys at all the places with house music. How come no one at Burning Man dances like they do at Shelter in NYC? :)

(Maybe it's the dust, maybe it's the population)
ike

fellow hip hop lover

Postby djsalty » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:22 am

yo! nice post. yes, that has always been an issue on the playa since I first went in 1998. I am also a dj who spins a lot of hip hop so maybe we can link up and do something. at the very least it would be great to play for some of the cocktail hours on burning man radio. btw, there used to be some really great people that did something called The Plug that was hip hop, soul, and all kind of in response to the lack of hip hop on the playa. But I don't know if they go anymore - didn't see em last year.

Paix,
dj salty
www.djsalty.com
djsalty

roller disco

Postby djsalty » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:24 am

good call! those folk are super cool and might be into it...
djsalty

Postby JezebelinHell » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:44 pm

I love that style of dancing, but just to watch. I used to try and breakdance in my room for hours as a kid, but I eventually had to come to terms with the fact that I had fatal levels of Caucasian that were indeed stopping the funk. Those Caucasian levels may be part of the reason for the lack of a hip-hop collective in BRC. It is about the whitest town in the USA. I've seen enough fucktards hold glowsticks and make figure eights with their hands to last me the rest of my life. We are so badly in need of a hip-hop collective...
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Return to 2008 Art & Performance