No temple in 2008?

No temple in 2008?

Postby mereth » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:42 pm

I just noticed in the latest Jack Rabbit Speaks that David Best won't be building a temple for 2008... :(

Here's the cut-and-paste:
"Aaaand a little bad news ... David Best will not be building a temple on playa this year. See our interview with David, who talks about what it takes to make a temple happen."

Anyone else interested in making their own centralized temple for everyone to fill the void?
mereth

Postby mereth » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:48 pm

Here's the interview it gives with David:
MAKING A TEMPLE: AN INTERVIEW WITH TEMPLE BUILDER DAVID BEST
(or ... David Best Takes a Break)

This year David Best will not be building a temple for Burning Man. In the following interview, David talks about what the Temple means to him.

Q. How long have you been doing the temple at Burning Man?
A. The temple's been going for 8 years, since 2000. I took off two years in 2005 and 2006 when Temple crew member Mark Grieve built it… so the crew and I have done 6 temples.

Q. How long does it take to complete it?
A. It takes the crew approximately one year. As soon as temple is down we start on the next design - basically it starts as the temple is burning; I’m already thinking of next year's temple. Between January and the spring, I work with several key people designing the temple, gathering materials and working out structural details with an engineer. We develop prototypes for the modular parts of the temple that will be built during the summer. Early construction takes about three months of working with the crew pre-event, staging, and developing camaraderie and team organization. We build, for example, 100 lamps, and other modular parts for the structure. From January until the time I'm on the playa, I'm collecting materials. We work on site for several weeks; at this point all the pre-built parts are transported to the site, and, abiding by the ethos of Burning Man, we are as self-sufficient as we can be. We bring our own kitchen, our own tools and we handle all of our own transportation.

Q. What does the Temple mean to you? To the community?
A. Over the years, the temple has manifested the incredible relationship I have with the crew members and with Burning Man; we work very closely with the organization, and that would not be possible without the friendship and cooperation of the staff. It represents collaboration between many people. It has changed my life; it's given me the opportunity to do something with my art that very few artists get to do – it's a very loving piece of work. All of the conflicts within the project mean nothing compared to the gesture of giving it to someone else – a mother whose son has committed suicide, or a DPW member who has died .... The loving gesture that the piece becomes is the pay-off for all the inherent difficulties involved in making something like this, including putting up with me! What it means to me is being able to make a piece of art that offers a channel or a way of forgiving and closing a very sad, difficult thing in one's life.

Over the years we've watched our community grow, and we've watched the temple grow with it; the community has allotted that space to be a sacred space. They've reserved it as their own place to drop off their sadness, their losses and their dreams. It's a part of our civic culture.

Q. What's going on for you this year?
A. Myself and the temple crew are taking some time off to rest this year. The temple is a joy to do and I've loved it dearly, but I need to take a little time off from it.

Q. What would you say to whoever builds the temple this year?
A. I would say, "Pride goes before a fall." The Temple is not built to gratify any individual. It's a fine line to walk. To build a temple for a lot of people without involving one's ego is difficult – it's not about self-gratification.
Okay, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
mereth

Postby hsdavis » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:55 pm

David Best took 2 years off---2005, 2006. Both of those years had very nice temples that the crew built. David Best has done a great job on the temples, but a year off and allowing someone else build a masterpiece can only be good for all involved.
I don't think the JRS even hinted that we wouldn't be having a temple in 2008.
hsdavis

Postby BitterDan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:14 pm

There will still be a temple it just won't be David Best. Nothing against David, he cracks me up, but I do like to see other artists getting the grant once in a while.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby Lisa_M_Davies » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:53 pm

I really hope that there will be a temple to visit at the festival for the burn 2008. I found David Best's temples the most incredible empowering place.. to have so much emotion and being in such a spirtual place was an incredible feeling.
My boyfriend and I came to Burning Man 2006 as festival virgins, we visited the temple together and watched it burn in each other's arms, and talked about it to our friends back home in England. Unfortunately Dan could not make it to the festival due to financial reasons. I came to the festival as I was already in the U.S. He vowed that he we would go to the burn together again in 2008.
Sadly, Dan died in an accident. Aged only 22, at the end of November. This has absouletely devestated me, coming to personal terms of being the person who found him, and losing the most special person in my life.
The thing that has been keeping me positive is started planning to go to the festival, and be able to release some of the pain at the temple.
Does anyone have any information or details on the temple design? Or if there is any way I can get involved with any art projects (from England)
Thankyou, Lisa x x x
Lisa_M_Davies

Postby BitterDan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:23 pm

Hey Lisa, sorry to hear about your boyfriend. I don't think there are any temple details as of yet. I think the deadline for art grants is Feb 1 so we'll probably know more around that time.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby Lisa_M_Davies » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:32 pm

Thankyou, x x x x
Lisa_M_Davies

Postby erri2000 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:37 pm

Lisa you are so strong to share that with us.
I beleive that your love will never leave you.
He just waits to visit you in your dreams.

As for the "temple" I am sure tha when you arrive at the playa, even if you don't see the temple, you will be there.

Have faith, you will find what you are looking for.

This may be a good time for everyone to build there own temple?
It is alot like sex,
Some people just don't get it

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Part of Shock the Karma Conglomerate
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
erri2000

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:45 pm

2005 Temple was pretty darn good, I thought.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Finnegan » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:10 pm

I would love to work together with you other temple-lovers to make this happen this year. The Temple has always been at least as important to my experience out there as the burn itself. Often, much more so.

Cheers,
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:17 am

There are a lot of choices that would be more creative than imitating David Best's projects. Doesn't have to be a "temple" per se.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Barbie » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:52 am

I didn't find the Temple my first year 2003...I wasn't ready-
I have Found the Temple every year since..
THE TEMPLE IS WHY I GO TO BRC...
ohhh and the super good looking, creative, friendly people...

David Best Temples are amazing...but the Temples created by the other artist are just as wonderful...

SO FEAR NOT WE WILL HAVE A TEMPLE!!!

And I'm sure they would love to have people help...
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby myredcarpet » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:09 pm

2007's temple was my first. It was where I got to say goodbye to the man who was supposed to be my new dad.

My new husband and I spent our honeymoon at green man. Bob had passed away only 2 weeks before our wedding and we really barely were able to allow the mind space to realize the impact of what happened..

Amidst much partying, we spent time sitting and hugging with strangers and new friends giving unspoken understanding and comfort. We later sent our message of love by flame straight to the heavens upon the (incredible) swirling winds. A shooting star appeared overhead and we knew the message was recieved.

As breathtaking as David's temple was, the physical place we went was nothing in comparison to the spiritual place we were taken. I have no doubt that whatever location is designated next year, whether at a structure resembling a temple or just a shady place to sit, we will still have our soul release.. and I don't think it will be any less miraculous.
"Reach out, take a chance. Get hurt even. Play as well as you can.. LIVE!" Maude
myredcarpet

Postby myredcarpet » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:11 pm

Horray ~ people are starting to organize the building of an 08 temple:

Temple of the Community!
http://tribes.tribe.net/templeofcommunity
"Reach out, take a chance. Get hurt even. Play as well as you can.. LIVE!" Maude
myredcarpet

Return to 2008 Art & Performance