Spotlight strobelight ?

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:28 pm

Un-illuminated peds are a safety issue even for bicycles. Mine's lit up like a christmas tree and has a great headlight, but it is hard as hell to pick up a dark wad out of the peripheral vision when there are so many bright blinking things running around competing for my limited night time vision.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:33 pm

mdmf007 wrote: but seriously dick am I good enough to hang on the dickmobile this year?

Sounds like premeditated riding to me. :lol:

Sure, as long as there is room, anyone can ride.
Not only is it part of the "rules" placed forth by the DMV,
but that's just how I roll, all friendly and shit like that.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Finnegan » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:48 pm

Just roll over them, it's all in good fun. Pick the bones out of the tires in the morning.

(I steer clear of huge, slow moving vehicles, as that is prudent)
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:18 pm

I would love nothing more than to have a snowplow on my MV.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Rat Bastard » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:59 pm

Plow sounds like a good idea. But how bout a cow catcher like the old steam locomotives? They'll bounce to the sides and won't get caught underneith.
Read my posts with a grain of salt.
Rat Bastard

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:29 pm

If they bounce off to the side, you're just gonna have to
back up to make sure they are dead anyhow .
oneeyeddick

Almost squished

Postby Journeyman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:06 am

Mutant vehicles are a very large part of the art of Burning Man. No doubt about it. Wouldn't be the same without them. So are body lights and crazily lit bicycles. Light is the key to the nighttime playa experience. Stargaze at Yosemite or someplace quiet.
However, I have a rather large beef with only one mutant vehicle and its operators: I had a theme camp in 2006 and was on the playa for a couple days after the official end of the event, dismantling the camp. One dark night a large silver ship came ripping through my camp at 9:30 and Chance. Mind you, the event was over but the streets were still there, and so were many other theme campers. BRC had not reverted to open playa. This vehicle was not on the street, it was running at about 30mph THROUGH MY CAMP. My tent was standing, I was sleeping in it until I heard the roar of this vehicle bearing down on me. I stuck my head out the door in time to see this huge ship miss my tent (and me) by merely two or three INCHES. We still had other tents up, and a 38-foot silver bus parked in camp. To me, this MV's operator was just way too fucked up to be operating anything more threatening than a toilet handle. Granted the event was over, but does that mean the end of reason on the playa? Fuck the disclaimer; no one needs to get killed at any time on the playa by some lame idiot at the wheel of a large heavy vehicle driving through camps. I didn't attent the 2007 burn, but am looking forward to confronting this MV's operating team this year.
Infinity = 1; since 1 / infinity = 1, zero is an absolute impossibility. The reason triangles are so unlike other polygons is that a triangle is part of a polygon bridging two dimensions.
Journeyman

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:59 pm

Sorry to hear that.

I heard Tom Cruise was out there in his UFO in 2006.

Don't offer him any shade if he's there again.
oneeyeddick

You can buy them

Postby BBump » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:04 pm

Just had to chime in on this!
There are three commercially produced ways to do this. None of them are cheap. 1) An automated fixture (moving light) has a specific function that is controllable as to speed. The function is called strobe. There is a little more to it than that though. These fixtures have two types of lamp 1) arc source and HMI. The HMI lamp can actually turn on and off quickly but its life is marginal at best. The arc source lamp must go into a cool down period before it can restrike. So the only way these actually 'strobe is with a shutter that is controlled by a servo motor and it litterally flips back and forth creating a 'strobe' effect. Look up High End (Light Wave), Vari*Lite, Martin, Robe. You have most likely seen these on TV shows Weakest Link, Millionaire, Oprah etc. With this you can adjust speed or 'rate'
The next two do nothing but perform a 'strobe' function.
2) A strobe cap, Made by a company called Diversitronics.
This lamp base fits on to an ERS or an Eliptical Reflector Spotlight and can project a strobe beam as far as the lens system is set up to throw it. ( anyplace from 8' to 120'). The rub is you must purchase or already have the ERS to use it. You can adjust intensity, duration and rate
3) Data Flash AF-1000 made by Lightwave. This 'strobe' will allow you to adjust intensity, duration and rate. This light will only throw about 10'- 18' (with a reflector) with any realized effectiveness. If a person standing and looking even remotely towards this light will get the effect. This light also has adjustable intensity, duration and rate.
This data flash is probably the light YOU need to do with what you want. You can set the dip switches the way they need to be set and when you hit power the thing goes off.
It has a duty cycle though and will time out in about 8-15 seconds unless you get the HO lamp. Then it can go almost 35 secs and is much brighter. It was always a better bet to use like 4 of them and rotate them if you need to go any longer than a minute.
* All suggestions use a DMX signal to be controlled which can come from a small pocket model or a full scale programmable light console.
* These all need a 110 volt source to operate.
* None of these are recommended for the general public/ residential/ consumer use and you can't really get a consumer grade version that will do what you want.
BBump

Postby gyre » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:05 am

A color wheel might be interesting.
I often use two matched but not synched strobes in the same place.
It creates a broken pattern that is very disruptive.

This is interesting-
http://www.peakbeam.com/nonlethal.html

http://www.army-technology.com/contract ... ess14.html
http://www.tacticaldevices.com/xcart/pr ... roductid=2

The one I've been looking for is a device with many focused tricolor luxeon LEDs.
It operates in shifting color and rhythm patterns and is supposed to be very disturbing.
I can't get the damn search engine to pull one up.
It has a jazzy buzzword name.
gyre

Previous

Return to 2008 Art & Performance