2008 Event - Cheers and Jeers!

Postby Arantele » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:44 pm

So this is coming from a virgin who had the best time ever.

cheers
-my camp mates for convincing me to go
-THe wonderful woman at the greeters station who was in all orange and gorgeous!!
- the beautiful art installations on the playa which took up most of my time
- opulent temple for having insane music the entire time
- my friends who were there with me
- the camp which had misters set up inside near 330 and C...
- All the camps that were giving away margaritas

Jeers
- not getting enough sleep, lol.
- not having an RV although I think it takes away from some of the experience
- the BLM being everywhere!!!! go arrest people committing real crimes
- the spy helicopters which were revolving around the playa
Arantele

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:05 am

Cheers: to everyone who helped me out of dust pits.

Jeers: to the guy who wanted me to okay his saving of a "yellow bike"
to the girl who walked into the bar, looked around both rooms, asked me if there was a garbage and left when I told her she was responcible for her own moop.
To the guy who, when I said I couldn't get naked, tried to convince me otherwise. Sorry, twit, but I have scar tissue that shouldn't see the light of day.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby chinacatsunflower » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:43 pm

cheers:

To all of my campmates and neighboors around 3:10 and Impala: especially the lizard king and queen for welcoming me with open arms and helping to set my mood straight, and to whomever that was who made me that awesome smoothie! (you know who you are) It really helped settle my tummie and was delicious and refreshing.

To all the other amazing people I met along the way who helped make my first burn unforgetable.

To the albino band for providing amazing horns and a wonderful change of pace, music-wise, the night of the burn--and the cd is awesome, thanks a bunch!

The flaming lotus girls' fire sculpture--those different-colored fireballs really blew my mind...apparently they acheived this by adding different metals and gasses to the fuel. Really, really cool.

The opulent temple for sick beats and those crazy green lazers.

The floating baloon installation strung with hundreds of leds. What a trip!

That guy who set up that crazy spherical structure on the corner on the corner of 3:00 and Impala--you made it possible for me and my less geographically-inclined campmates find our street in the middle of the night. I also took some of my best pictures from the viewing deck there. I plan to submit them to the gallery as soon as I get around to it...

To everyone who serviced the potties, especially the bank on 3:00 between H and I... these were consistantly the cleanest toilets at BRC (I'm sure there were pleanty of other good ones that I didn't have the pleasure of pooping in) and the portable toilet situation as a whole was about the best I have seen anywhere in all of my travels.

Larry Harvey and everyone involved with the planning and preparation of this wonderful event for helping us all turn our wildest dreams into reality.

To anyone and anything that escapes my mind at the moment, thank you for helping make BRC what it is, see you next year!

jeers:

really, only a few minor complaints...

The soft sand situation was pretty annoying, making bike-riding rather difficult. I don't mind walking, but the city is simply too vast to cover on foot and I only ended up seeing a tiny fraction of BRC as a result. I'm guessing this is caused by increased amount of traffic over the years...if anyone has any ideas on how to help fix this, let's hear them!

Everyone who left during the sandstorm amidst rumors that the man was not going to burn, yada, yada. I'm guessing these were people who had been there all week, and I understand their sentiment, but nevertheless it tilted the scales dramatically as far as the concentration of "partiers" vs. true "burners". At least that's how I perceived it.

I can't think of anything else negative...the weather was great; I even enjoyed the sandstorm. My campmates said last year was much, much worse in this regard.

See you on the playa in 2009, if not sooner!

chinacat
chinacatsunflower

Postby yellowdog » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:45 pm

The soft sand situation was pretty annoying, making bike-riding rather difficult. I don't mind walking, but the city is simply too vast to cover on foot and I only ended up seeing a tiny fraction of BRC as a result. I'm guessing this is caused by increased amount of traffic over the years...if anyone has any ideas on how to help fix this, let's hear them!

I suppose you could blame Global Warming or Climate Change... or just the vicissitudes of desert weather. It hasn't rained enough (in the right place-Fernley flooded bigtime this spring) to flood the playa in the winter/spring for the past few years. When it does, the surface becomes like cracked white asphalt: perfectly flat and hard forever. I agree, surface conditions were difficult. We counted 6 art cars buried to the axles and abandoned when the sun came up Sunday!
So, jeers to whomever was in charge of surface conditions this year-I'm looking at you, God!
But, perhaps God was otherwise occupied with helping Mrs Palin and football season and all.
yellowdog

Postby chinacatsunflower » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:42 am

hah, maybe we should do a rain dance...
See you on the playa!
chinacatsunflower

Postby couglite » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:15 am

everybody bring thier vacuum cleaners next year
couglite

Postby falk » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:50 pm

One last jeer: taggers. They hit two of our art pieces this year.
falk

Postby mancanburntoo » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 am

Playa 2008

The good
Those fine BLM rangers for upholding the law and keeping all those stinking stoned hippies in their place. For that matter, all of the fine uniformed men and women that braved the harsh desert to keep the peace. Without you it would just become one big riot.

Bad
Stupid art car/taxis that wouldn’t take us to where we were willing to pay to get to. If you take the time to art out your car, bus or whatever then you can at least offer a service that the city can use.

Cheers
Coffee and ice vending saved my life several times out there!

Jeers
All the complaining and whining. I don’t like your music, you didn’t take the time to playa dress up. It’s a free country folks
Long live the Dharma Pig
mancanburntoo

Postby thirt33n » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:42 am

ew
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby ChicoMichelle » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:39 pm

Cheers: The Temple, it was a great change and done beautifully.

Jeers:
Who the fuck ever said that a mutant vehicle is a TAXI? Yes, it does say that MV owners will contribute to the city, "help" move burners around etc. It is also at the descretion of the owner, for safety, etc. BUT some people may not realize is that some of these MV are built on chassis that are not meant to support 98,000 people. We have a golf cart with a ton of weight on it just with the "art", so even though it LOOKS like there is room, in deeper playa, with the weight, well, she just won't move....

Furthermore, all the rude ppl (I won't call those ppl burners, because true burners wouldn't do this) that just hop on your car when you are parked and ask "how long till this thing leaves?" then leave when you tell them you are not going anywhere anytime soon... AND the ppl that climb on to rest and spill their shit, leave their moop, etc. This may be some reasons why Mv's may not stop for every pedestrian... NOTE: MV's are NOT taxi's. If you want a fuckin' taxi, go to New York. And furthermore, BRC is a community not based on PAYING to get to one place or another. It is people like that- that are killing me --- stay home, party elsewhere. Please for the love of God, read the information from Burningman!!!

Sorry, but it hits a nerve...
Peace, Love.....Michelle
ChicoMichelle

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:19 am

Jeers:
To anyone who can say:
(I won't call those ppl burners, because true burners wouldn't do this)

WAKE UP PEOPLE! There is no such thing as a "true burner"!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

there may not be such a thing as a "True Burner" but there is such a thing as a true asshole. Some of them come to Burning Man
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Greenltdistrict » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:37 am

Ahhhh Men, Teo!
Greenltdistrict

Postby chinacatsunflower » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:10 am

ok, how's this: true "participants" versus observers/partiers. does that work?

chinacat
See you on the playa!
chinacatsunflower

Postby ChicoMichelle » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:01 pm

Crypto...Call it whatever you want to call it; and thanks for the clarificaiton from YOUR opinion and the Burningman book of 'What there is and isn't at Burningman".

Now, for my opinion, which is just that, MY opinion.

Someone that comes to an event, an event that makes a "guide" of what is important and the rules/recommendations/whatever you want to call it for those that come. Those people, which I have met over and over and over, VALUE the prinicples set forth for the Burningman experience.

So, as my Jeers stated, RUDENESS, DISRESPECT, LITTERBUGS, PEOPLE THAT PRESUME MV's ARE A TAXI, as referenced from post from 9/18, that "wouldn't take us to where we were willing to pay to get to", are "participants" that I do not see as people that understand Burningman and what the organizers work so hard for it to be. Therefore, I will call someone a Burner that upholds the ideas and principles set forth by the organization. ie, a "true burner".

Burningman is magical, it is a place where people can be placed in a judgment free environment, away from the norms of society and the pressures of what is considered "normal". It has a vibe about it that for the past years has always left me feeling that people are good people and the dynamics of diversity are amazing when a social norm is not in place. So when people come, and break your shit, leave there garbage on your car, and don't even go so far as to say hello.... well, enough said. Jeers.
ChicoMichelle

Postby Kenny Z » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:31 pm

mancanburntoo wrote:Playa 2008

Bad
Stupid art car/taxis that wouldn’t take us to where we were willing to pay to get to. If you take the time to art out your car, bus or whatever then you can at least offer a service that the city can use.

Riiiiigggghhht. Son, you need to build a mutant vehicle so you can see how stupid that statement is.

One thing I agree with is that if somebody wants a ride and there is room, you should let them on. The vehicles should be for burners, old, young, black, white, rich, poor, gay, straight, etc, etc. Also, think about it, if you have 15 people aboard and they all need to go to different locations, it would take you hours to get them all to their location at 5mph.

Sometimes I can't believe how ungrateful people can be sometimes. You spend a lot of money and invest tons of time into a project, let people on to rest their legs and relax for a bit and they still feel like you owe it to them to drive them to their camp and roll out a fucking red carpet.

You know, a good analogy would be if somebody came to your camp and you offered them a beer but they got upset because they didn't like beer and you wouldn't make them a margarita.

Respect works both ways at BM. Appreciate any nice gesture somebody does for you whether big or small and quit being so self absorbed.
Kenny Z

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:04 pm

I'll be as self-absorbed as I want to be. In fact, I'm getting experiemental sponge surgery so I can absorb more of myself.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Kenny Z » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:34 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I'll be as self-absorbed as I want to be. In fact, I'm getting experiemental sponge surgery so I can absorb more of myself.

I dated a girl many years ago that already had that done. :shock:
Kenny Z

Postby Bounce530 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:40 pm

Hey Kenny, I dated her also, imagine that!
She never metioned dating a burner though.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby chiefdanfox » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:06 am

Kenny Z wrote:You know, a good analogy would be if somebody came to your camp and you offered them a beer but they got upset because they didn't like beer and you wouldn't make them a margarita.

That actually happened to me in 2007, but in 2008, nothing like that. One small jeer would be how low energy everyone seemed to me after the burn. No one dancing at the Mutaytor/Gooferman show, just standing around, well except me and a couple of others. I had the best time ever this year, so I'd say cheers all around.
chiefdanfox

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:53 am

If you don't have a jeer, you can't post here!
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Rev_Sysyphus » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:25 am

oheric! wrote:Cheers:
2) Photographers/ Videographers: Fuck-you, yes all of you. Taking snapshots of your buddies and some of the art is cool but the SLR camera with 400mm lens is a bit much for taking pictures of boobs. What part of stop taking my fucking picture did you not understand. Next year I will break your camera(s).

I have several pictures of "boobs" from 2008, both of the female breast variety and the stupid moron variety.
The posed shots were, obviously, asked for as they are clearly posing for me.
The non-posed shots were due to the fact that the object I was taking a shot of has roughly 7 pairs of naked breasts milling about around it.
The other kind of boob shots were of drunken and/or high ravers in and around The Opulent Temple.

Hopefully you are not lumping all of us with cameras who actually tried to respect the rights of others and in the cases of unasked for nudity shots will not post them to the Internet!

I am glad I took a lot of pictures as I probably would not remember half of what I saw and did there without them!

And to keep on topic,

Cheers to the guys who gave us the delicious fried veggies one day while we were biking around and...

Jeers to the guy who "borrowed" and never returned a part of my costume that I cannot possibly replace.
Eschew The Banal!

Rev. Sysyphus
http://loafington.wordpress.com
Rev_Sysyphus

Postby pandasex » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:54 am

08 1rst burn

Cheers:
1. every out of this world great advice burner i met along my journey. Everyone was great to me and it was inspiring.
2. Artists make the playa magical and even though i only talk to a couple of installation ppl; i have utmost respect.
3. The playa itself....i left some of my soul to it,words cant describe its beauty.
4. TECHNO!!!! I love techno, i love the DJs....it was heaven and all night I slept to it and it was great.
5. The starry skies, i spent a great deal of time feeling childlike awe.

Jeers:
1. Picture taking assholes.....have some fucking respect just because a woman or children (these guys should be locked up) are naked doesnt mean get in their faces and bodies and take a hundred pictures before they yell stop......nothing made me so angry then to see ppl who are having a great time suddenly harassed.
2. cops or BRR whatever after burners who are not hurting anyone getting fined for drugs WTF

other than those 2 everything was perfect.....see u in 09
I have post playa depression :(
pandasex

Postby RedheadBarbie » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:51 am

I take pictures, I have tits. This is an art event and photography is art. If that is getting in the way of your rave, only go out after dark. Read the back of your ticket if you don't understand what your rights are.
RedheadBarbie

Postby Elderberry » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:11 am

I've been to two burns and haven't taken a single picture. Nor do I take pictures on vacation either. Cameras seem to get in the way.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby pandasex » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:13 pm

To the photographer.....I have seen your posts ( i still dont know u but) I can tell that if someone was nude and asked u not to take her pic that u would respect that. I seen mostly older men basically chasing and invading womens personal space for a "nude pic". Like they were not even ppl. Thats what im referring to.

I am all for respectful pics taken. Like it hurts to ask someone first
I have post playa depression :(
pandasex

Postby Sham » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:13 pm

My first year attending I took pictures with nudity in them. I was not boorish and chasing women for the photos, but there were lots with nakedness in them. When I would show photos of that year to people, they would jump over all the amazing art and sights just to see stark naked people. The next year, I avoided nudity in my pictures and have ever since. People who want to see my photos of the event and the art are welcome to see them, but if they want to see bare tits, then they can go buy a fucking magazine!
Sham

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Amazing art and sights? That's odd, there is none of that in any of my pictures. Hay, look everybody, tits!
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby RedheadBarbie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:15 pm

[quote="pandasex"]To the photographer.....I have seen your posts ( i still dont know u but) I can tell that if someone was nude and asked u not to take her pic that u would respect that. I seen mostly older men basically chasing and invading womens personal space for a "nude pic". Like they were not even ppl. Thats what im referring to. I am all for respectful pics taken. Like it hurts to ask someone first[/quote]

Pandasex,

I would most definitely not take a pic if the subject objected...but it really gives the wrong impression to those who have never been. That's why I regularly chime in on these posts.

Those that would act poorly see that others have gotten away with it, other than pissing people off, which why would they care? So to them it sounds like a great way to pic and grope unwilling victims.

Those who are not like that, who would go, but have reservations thinking they will continuously be assaulted because they carry a camera. It just doesn't happen the way it is portrayed here.

Harassment does happen, rarely, but some people think that they hold some sacred right over taking pictures and on message boards are prone to rants encouraging others to assualt the photographer or their camera. If I see you doing something amazing and I grab the moment I will approach you after and offer you a postcard with one of my paintings or photos on it with my super secret website so you can grab pictures free of charge. Others in the general public cannot see the website. The more brazen images aren't posted there and I will send them to you privately. All it takes is to turn away from me if I have my camera up, but most likely it is such a wide or distanced shot you're not identifiable, if you are even in frame. I've checked every photo I can find from 2008 and am in one person's work, when I was at a media function. I was nearly always topless and frequently nude. If some guy took a pic of me to wack to, all the power to him, because he clearly needs it since he hasn't heard of the wonders of internet porn.
RedheadBarbie

Postby PavementBlues » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:04 pm

pandasex wrote:Jeers:
1. Picture taking assholes.....have some fucking respect just because a woman or children (these guys should be locked up) are naked doesnt mean get in their faces and bodies and take a hundred pictures before they yell stop......nothing made me so angry then to see ppl who are having a great time suddenly harassed.
2. cops or BRR whatever after burners who are not hurting anyone getting fined for drugs WTF

Some of my very good friends are Rangers, and you should be careful lumping them in with cops, because you're going to make more than a few people bristle. Imagine this situation: you have been fined because some cop had a stick up his ass and illegally searched your bag, finding a bag of weed. You really can't do much, except OH WAIT! A RANGER has taken note of the illegal search (because one of their JOBS is to document illegal searches) and you end up getting cleared. Other than that, they also put in a ton of work to make sure that the event runs smoothly and sacrifice part of their Burn so that they can wander around and deal with pissed off people/injured people/bad trips, all as VOLUNTEERS. So come on...give respect where respect is due. I don't want to be mean, but that's incredibly ungrateful.

Besides, if you were obvious enough with your drug use that a Ranger saw you and confronted you, then you must have been acting pretty disrespectful to Burners that don't see the event as a drug festival. Do what you want, just have some discretion and go inside your tent when you're toking or popping or dropping or whatever your personal choice is.
PavementBlues

PreviousNext

Return to 2008 Theme