The Long Arm of the Law . . .

The Long Arm of the Law . . .

Postby Player » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:41 pm

. . . is going to be looking for you between I-80 and BRC! I just spoke with a friend of mine living in Gerlach, and she told me that the cops are pulling people over for the slightest infraction or none at all.

A word to the wise: Act and drive as conservatively as possible.

~ Player

PS Okay, that's seven words.
Player

Postby Archantael » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:52 pm

http://www.flexyourrights.org/index.php

Think if it this way, this is the Nevada version of the great African Wildebeest migration that you've seen on the Discovery Channel. The cops are like the crocs in the river and you are the Wildebeests. It's feast or famine time...you gotta cross their turf and they are out to get ya. If you brush up on the basics ahead of time you come out unscathed. If not we'll get to read about it in the eplaya or the local Nevada newspapers.

A short visit to a website and maybe watching a video clip could make a huge difference.
Archantael

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:21 pm

On reservation land the drive ten mph over the speed limit thing does not apply. Driving one mph over the speed limit is enough to get you ticketed.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Archantael » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:56 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:On reservation land the drive ten mph over the speed limit thing does not apply. Driving one mph over the speed limit is enough to get you ticketed.

Think ABSOLUTELY ZERO TOLERANCE. If anything drive slightly slower than the limit to compensate in case your speedometer is off. Also if you have a radar detector and it alerts on K or Ka Band once you get off I-80 and onto 447 don't pass it off as a false alarm or someone's burglar alarm system. I've saw officers holding the gun as I passed so yes I know for a fact that both K and Ka band are in active use.

Also without getting into technicalities, if you use your GPS to monitor your speed, I'd still go 1-2 mph below the limit to cover radar gun inaccuracies. Yes, they are that strict.
Archantael

Postby Player » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:35 am

One more thing - DO NOT speed up to the MPH limit on the sign you are approaching until you have past that sign! This is worth repeating.

If you are going 30 and you see the sign for 40 coming up - DO NOT accelerate until you pass that sign. A little trick they use.

~ Player
Player

Postby unjonharley » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:20 am

coming from the west into Gerlach there are many many small small towns.. each has a speed limlit.. some of these limits extend way beyond there city limits.. just be aware of road signs and you will be fine..

and don t pass me on a steep grade or around curves.. i don t want to stop and watch you being scraped off the road.. it may spoil one of my meals..

i drive in time to arrive late into sunday nite.. so passing me will not get you in the gate earlyer..
unjonharley

Postby plowman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:48 am

Also, if you are going 45 and see a sign saying 35, if you are not going 35 by the time you pass the sign they will get you, even if you are decelerating
plowman

Postby trilobyte » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:02 pm

I hope everyone had a safe/careful trip through those parts.

While it may seem like a speed trap, those limits are there for a reason. When the speeds drop from 70 to 25 in the span of a mile or two, it's because you're going from the wide open spaces of the desert to a small town with small kids. In towns where there aren't small kids, the limit only drops to 55mph. Why are they so anal about enforcement? Maybe because they just want to get you, but maybe also because the week of BM is the first week of school, and it's a sad fact that every year some little kid in one of those towns gets hit... almost always by someone out of town. You can understand why they'd be so defensive & jumpy.

Take your time, watch the limits, and if you can stop and grab and indian taco on your way. Damn those things are delicious, and the people who run those stands have always proven to be great folks.

Damn, I should be part of the local tourist board or something.

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Lorgasm » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:31 pm

Another cool thing to to in Gerlach is stopping by Bruno's bar. Its so neat. Some old BM photos and you get to meet the locals. Heck, you might even find yourself having a beer with the local law enforcement.

Yeah, the indian tacos rock too. This year I had my first indian taco. Not bad.

Not to get off the subject buy a big fucking thank you the folks at Albertsons on Keystone. They rock. Good job Albertsons: before and after the burn. Seeing the staff in el-wire was a great touch.
BOOBIES!!!
Lorgasm

Postby barnz » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:18 pm

I also had my first "indian taco" this year and it was a tasty treat indeed. That will become a regular stop for me (where/when it's safe to pull over).

I also salute the folks at the Keystone Alberston's. They were having a great time, and seeing all those burners taking up temporary residence in the parking lot was my real "Welcome Home!"
~~~~~~~~
known on the Playa (especially Ranger Radios) as HOOPY FROOD.

"A towel … is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have." – Douglas Adams
barnz

Postby Burner till death » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:52 am

I did not want to leave - so exodus was a bummer for me. I did enjoy burning the man twice though.
Burner till death

Return to 2007 Theme Camps