Theme camp placement... maybe today?

Postby limbo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:31 pm

Did someone ask for a map? I think I might just have one lying around somewhere... oh, right! it's on http://WhereAreYouCamping.com/ enjoy! ;)
limbo

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:38 am

A simple trick... if you want to be able to tell who your neighbors are far more quickly using the placement list, just highlight all the names, addresses, etc. from the list and cut and paste them into an Excel document (or similar spreadsheet app). Now you have a list you can sort easily by street, camp name, placer or camp size. Enjoy!

Doggy
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby spectabillis » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:13 am

lennyjones wrote:you don't usually get the exact address untill you get there.

you sure about that? a map is released with most of the art and theme camp placements shown.

anyone care to take a guesstimate on the difference between '3:00 and Arctic' and 'Arctic and 3:00'? we know the first one listed is the one the camp faces, someone else mentioned the second is the closest cross street.
spectabillis

Postby sputnik » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:09 am

spectabillis wrote:anyone care to take a guesstimate on the difference between '3:00 and Arctic' and 'Arctic and 3:00'? we know the first one listed is the one the camp faces, someone else mentioned the second is the closest cross street.

We had quite the go around with this last year for the ePlaya Bar camp. You are correct in the way you describe it. Final placement information is given by your placer on site.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:29 am

Gigsville has a very specific map of where our village goes. We have most of one of the large blocks with a few sections of X * Y dimensions cut out. I assume that was from the org, but I cannot say for sure. If others don't have maps, perhaps ask the larger villages around you what they received. From our map I think I have a pretty darned good idea where Barbie Death Camp will be, for example.
MikeVDS

Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby sputnik » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:42 am

hmmm...now that you mention this I seem to recall that a more detailed map came out a couple of weeks before the event last year.
sputnik

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:46 am

Here is the Gigsville one (slightly modified by me to work out our camp map). Actually I know it was made by our Mayor or someone helping him, but I know he did not just arbitrarily make up the boundaries. So someone gave him the dimensions so he could map it out.

MikeVDS

Postby sputnik » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:49 am

Either he has connections or is making it up and hoping the for best.

The most important thing to remember is that things change when you get to the playa. I could not have predicted our exact camp shape from the information we were initially given last year, and even when we had a reasonably good idea, we ended up with a bit more space than we expected.
sputnik

Postby spectabillis » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:51 am

well, were not an official village yet because we've only been a theme camp for two years. or thats the reasoning i think, have to ask kernul the specifics. would be nice having a large area to work out placements on our own, have to make uncertain decisions and work arounds for the member camps and hope we are all next to each other. it seems thats not the case, dont know, the list only puts people in blocks.

my guess was they first sort placement by listing camps in general blocks, then go back over and sort each block out.
spectabillis

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:27 am

Last year, the Earth Guardians had a LNT map they put out showing camps using high LNT ethics. It was called the BRC GoMap and had detailed locations around all of the plazas, as well as a global map showing portajohns. It didn't show every theme camp, but it had the plaza and center camp theme camps detailed out very well. It also had an attached list of most (but not all) theme camps and referred to the global map by grid numbers so you could spot what approximate location a camp was in if it was on the list. It appears from their site that a similar map will be in the making shortly, as they are once again doing a LNT camp listing and mapping. I had last years map printed and taped up in our camp and it was quite popular... sort of like a mall directory... hahaha!

Doggy

bigbluedoggy

Postby MikeVDS » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:45 pm

Either he has connections or is making it up and hoping the for best.

I think he was making some guesses. Oops. Looks like we have a different population than last year and things may end up different. :oops:
MikeVDS

Rainforest Refugee Camp

Postby Omyg » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:02 pm

we have gotten no communications since shortly after regestering to be a themecamp.

I see we are listed and links show we have been placed

mark(at)snursery.com is lead.. of omyg(at)snursery.com
bounces.

We have a ton of set up work to do once on the playa.

Caravans are set up in order of gear needed for the build.

Yes I'm stressing..but oh well

Omyg leader of the Rainforest Refugees RRC
Omyg

Postby bigbluedoggy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:40 pm

If you have never received any placement emails (we are up to 7 or 8 now) you must not have registered to be on the placement announce email list correctly. You should email placement-announce-request (at)burningman.com as soon as possible to get added and ask for the previous emails to be sent to you so you have all of the info. You should also have received your info on early arrival by now if you had plans for getting there before Monday at 12:01am. The deadline for weekend early arrival requests was July 20. You can also try just emailing to: placement(at)burningman.com with your requests.

Good luck!

Doggy

bigbluedoggy

Postby Omyg » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:19 pm

javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy :D
All is well... better then expected

No early passes given to us... BUT we were gifted 3 passes

The three of us slaved most of Saturday after noon and evening

Got up and worked like demons all day Sunday thankful not to have others under foot while we worked out the rigging and support poles and main dome.

Sunday members started filling in at midnight..

our foot print had been shrunk considerably but a narrow section was gifted to us for RV's and smaller cars and tents...

Two RV's moved off to a quiet spot with more room. We had a great burn
to very frantic moments when the wind picked up.. but we only suffered two slightly bent poles and one critically damaged pole that we replaced with a spare flag pole!

and we got a two fer.. because the Man burned twice...

spread good Karma.. Great Karma rewards comes back!javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Laughing
Omyg

Previous

Return to 2007 Theme Camps