How to Decide?

How to Decide?

Postby fromMA » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:52 am

Silly question #378 : I'll be a virgin this year and cant wait. I took a look at the playa calendar and im overwhelmed. I know we cant see it all and I'm sure everyone thinks their camp is the best (and it probably is) but whats the best thing to do? We have wide interests so that makes it even harder. Do you suggest just walk/bike at random or are there "must see's" ?
fromMA

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:17 am

Considering you have wide interests, you'll find MORE than enough to do just wandering, especially if you're friendly folk. I read through the calendar and although tons of it looks interesting, I've only picked out one thing that I'd like to plan to do. You don't need the calendar at all and I'd consider having a list of things to do more of a burden than a useful tool, though I know there are many people with their circled list who like having it in case they get a free moment or two. As long as you plan on missing most of the stuff you'd like to see I think you'll be set. Just don't get too distracted by your "plan" that you miss out on everything else going on around you.
MikeVDS

Postby Aiee! It burns! » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:40 am

Don't decide. It doesn't matter. The event will be bigger than any of your choices.
Aiee! It burns!

Postby Dork » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:06 am

I actively refuse to schedule anything. I've been dragged to a few scheduled events and they're all fine and good, but I tend to have the most fun wandering around and finding things. Somehow, when something is scheduled and I spend all day planning to go to it I wind up disappointed. It never starts on time, there's too few or not enough other people there, and it's usually not as cool as it seemed in my head.

When I wander and find dance dance immolation or the life size rockem sockem robots or whatever it is, it's like a discovery.

I'd say pick a few things you really want to see, and maybe circle a bunch that you'll go to if you happen to be bored around that time. Otherwise, just wander. Ride some art cars, talk to people, see some random playa art that isn't on any map or schedule.
Dork

Postby fromMA » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:32 am

Good advice all............many thanks!!!!!!!!!!
fromMA

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:20 pm

Last year, sometime around 6 or 6:30 in the evening on Thursday I think, rumor spread to our camp about a massive propane explosion that was going to occur out on the playa in an hour or so. It was probably scheduled far in advance, but we heard about it just before it happened. We went and checked it out and it was awesome! Had I planned all along on being there right on time, it would not have had the same impact. It was the fairly spontaneous discovery that made it that much cooler. Listen to rumors and follow your heart about what appeals to you.

*WOof!* :-P
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby plowman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:49 pm

Get on your bike and RIDE!! See whats going on. If you have questions ASK! Don't be scared. Nobody is going to bite you, (unless you ask them to). If you plan on things, chances are you will be disapointed. I only plan on one thing, and thats on Friday afternoon. The best parade I've ever seen in my life, and it just keeps getting better.
plowman

Postby bigstreets » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:26 pm

In the regular world, I'm big on plans, but out on the playa, you'll find it's damn near impossible to follow any schedule. Everyone's else's suggestions are dead on. I spend most of my days biking around and seeing what I pass, whether it's the Naked Zipline, Santa Camp, or Make-your-own-pasties Camp.
You will not be for want of something to do, and you'll find you won't need a schedule to keep you on course. Just try to be near the man around 9pm on Saturday. Plan for that.
Plus, they hand out little booklets -- or have in previous years -- when you enter so you can have a reference of what's happening all week around camp.
Have an amazing time!
bigstreets

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:52 pm

yeah, just ride and explore and let serendipity work for you.

word of caution: the events in the Who, What, Where and When often turn out to be late-night bullshit session ideas that get lost in the translation or never make it out to the Playa. Also, the wags who put together said event directory have in the past packed it with a lot of fictious titilating stuff. E.g. On "group-sex Tuesday" (or whatever) do not stay awake Monday night in feverish excitement that the next day everyone will be screwin' in the streets. Don't head out to "Kick-Ass Oral Sex" camp and expect some head. It's just double entendre and mischievious typography. That's my story and I'm stickin to it! :wink:
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Aiee! It burns! » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:43 pm

In olden times, one would spit in to the palm of the hand, and come down on said puddle with the index finger of the opposite hand. Wheresoever that spittle doth land, there go thee!
Aiee! It burns!

Postby scootert » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:43 pm

I agree with the comments of others, especially Teo. (and I always wondered what that Kick Ass Oral Sex thing was about...maybe someone can explain oral sex to me this year). Some of the things that sound cool aren't. I'm sure many of them are cool but even when it's kind of lame, it's still fun with Burners. Discovery and surprise is always happening, and you'll quickly realize you'll never see it all (umm..participate in it all) - and that's part of what's great about it.

One thing many are looking forward to, in terms of scheduled events, is the Friday night Mutaytor performance, which will kind of be tied in with Cirque Berserk and and an art happening/performance that is supposed to be spectacular. I don't know much about it, but I've seen discussion of it elsewhere on eplaya.

All that being said, chances are I'm going to look through the events listings myself, especially looking for live music.

Have a fantastic burn!
scootert

Postby notonmysofa » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:16 pm

Must see's?

Every year I still see pictures of stuff afterwards that I didn't see that year. No matter how much you try and get out and see everything you never will. Just go out and do your thing and what you see and experience will be more than enough. Don't fret about seeing stuff or doing stuff.
notonmysofa

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:40 pm

I'm holding out for "Kick Mouth Anal Sex Friday."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2007 Theme Camps