Asheville based theme camp?

Asheville based theme camp?

Postby Lakshmi » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:32 pm

Hey, I was wondering if there is an Asheville (NC) based theme camp? I'm considering moving there in the future and would love to meet some people from there.

I've looked over the 07 theme camp listing in the A section but didn't see anything. I wouldn't know what else to look for other than that.

Thanks for any directions you can point me in!
Lakshmi

Postby gaminwench » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:55 pm

DOTA- Department of Tethered Aviation - has some fine, fabulous folks from Asheville....
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:03 am

Are you going to transformus there?
How many places are you moving, Lakshmi?
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby Lakshmi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:07 am

Thanks much gaminwench.

gyre wrote:Are you going to transformus there?
How many places are you moving, Lakshmi?

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm moving to Colorado right now but I have a strong feeling I won't like it for a longterm stay, so Asheville will be my next stop. 2 places I guess?
Lakshmi

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:26 am

Lakshmi wrote:I'm moving to Colorado right now but I have a strong feeling I won't like it for a longterm stay?

As someone who grew up in Tennessee, lived in Atlanta for 13 years, and now lives in Denver, I can tell you that it will take some adjustment, but after three years, you'll never go back. The people here are much more open minded, healthier, and the climate just cannot be beat. Im not big on Colorado Springs (its beautiful, just waaay conservative) but I fail to see how you could not love Denver, particularly with its vibrant Burning Man culture.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Lakshmi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:44 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:
Lakshmi wrote:I'm moving to Colorado right now but I have a strong feeling I won't like it for a longterm stay?

As someone who grew up in Tennessee, lived in Atlanta for 13 years, and now lives in Denver, I can tell you that it will take some adjustment, but after three years, you'll never go back. The people here are much more open minded, healthier, and the climate just cannot be beat. Im not big on Colorado Springs (its beautiful, just waaay conservative) but I fail to see how you could not love Denver, particularly with its vibrant Burning Man culture.

There are a lot of things to like about the area. I will be looking forward to meeting people who are a lot more physically active and spend more time outdoors. (I can't wait to get into rock climbing and archery) And you're right, the climate is going to rock. I hate hot weather.

I'm not sure what gives me the feeling I won't like it enough to settle down there though. Perhaps it's the lack of broad leaf forests? Such a silly reason I know, but I grew up in Missouri and love the terrain. I can't imagine being somewhere that doesn't look somewhat similar. I also want a smallish artsy community without the suburb feel that CO Springs has (or the crazy conservatives). I don't know, maybe Denver is different. The only time I've spent there is going to and from the airport.
Lakshmi

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:13 am

Lakshmi wrote:Perhaps it's the lack of broad leaf forests? Such a silly reason I know

Actually, I know exactly what you mean. In Tennessee, after just two minutes on a trail you are completely enveloped by the trees and canopy overhead. You almost disappear into the forest as if you ducked under the covers of some giant crazy patchwork quilt. I do miss those exotic night sounds like tree frogs, cicadias, crickets, and of course, the beauty of lightning bugs.

But just wait till you are walking through a tunnel of golden quaking aspens in September, or strolling admist incredible wildflowers in July with an unbelievably blue sky overhead. 10% humidity, no biting insects or mosquitos. ahhh,

(This message was brought to you by the Colorado Department of Tourism]
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Lakshmi » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:28 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:
Lakshmi wrote:Perhaps it's the lack of broad leaf forests? Such a silly reason I know

But just wait till you are walking through a tunnel of golden quaking aspens in September, or strolling admist incredible wildflowers in July with an unbelievably blue sky overhead. 10% humidity, no biting insects or mosquitos. ahhh,

(This message was brought to you by the Colorado Department of Tourism]

Hmm, your Colorado Department of Tourism is really selling this. Doing a good job of it too ^.^
Lakshmi

Return to 2007 Theme Camps