Stag Camp

Postby Fat SAM » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:37 am

Seriously, Somni, don't worry about the 16 x 20. It's crazy to bring a trailer just for a shade structure. There are so many campers now that there should be virtually unlimited shade. The chimonea is one of those outdoor fireplaces, right? That would be the greatest.

E_S, it's official. Welcome to Stag Camp! I think your virgin burners will be a great addition to camp. It's always cool to watch people change over the week....I'm getting so excited!

Can we get a role call with a packing list like Somni requested?

I'm bringing small tent, coolers, 10 x 10 shelter, hoping to bring a 10 x 20 as well, and I know a place in Reno to get free carpet (but I'm not sharing that juicy nugget) so I can bring carpeting too, Somni. Otherwise, I'm limited on what I can bring this year. Booze, obviously, and I'll try and bring some extra food to share...As far as camp features, go, I don't really have much.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.
Fat SAM

Postby ibdave » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:24 am

Fat SAM wrote:The chimonea is one of those outdoor fireplaces, right? That would be the greatest.

From the years past no open flames are allowed in camps for the safety of the tents in the area.. I to have a Chimonea for use at home and sparks do go up and out of the top.. Might be worth looking in to before bringing it and the wood out.
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Somnivore » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:27 am

I'll reread the fire stuff. Thought it had to be 25' out from any structure and a fire extinguisher present. I'll double check. Yeah, they will shoot sparks up the chimney if it's going good. The one I'm planning on bringing is only about 2' tall, more for aesthetics then warmth. Thanks Dave.
"Salt em and leave their little beef jerky asses laying around as a testament to the other little mother fuckers that are lurking in the shadows!" Big Worm
Somnivore

Postby Somnivore » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:35 am

Must have read an old policy on fires. Sure enough, no campfires permitted other then those provided by BM which will be 55gal drums on legs in designated areas. No chimonea for us :evil: :evil: No tiki torches either, guess we'll have to be green by using more electricity :(
"Salt em and leave their little beef jerky asses laying around as a testament to the other little mother fuckers that are lurking in the shadows!" Big Worm
Somnivore

Postby Fat SAM » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:02 am

Tiki torches I knew about...I know I've seen people cooking on bbq's in good sized grills and those involve open flames, obviously. Maybe if it were grated and had a spark arrestor?
It's a contained fire...Oh well. It's one less thing to cart around, though, and you won't have to bring all the wood, either. I'm sure we'll figure out something cool.
Fat SAM

Approval process

Postby Red Vixen » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:08 am

Sam, I thought everyone is welcome. Didn't know there was an approval process to be part of the camp. I will however, pass on your message.
Red Vixen

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Fat SAM » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:44 am

I'd like to welcome everyone, but it needs to be within reason. I want to make sure beforehand that we can all get along. I don't think I'm being exclusive in any way, just judicious for everyone's benefit...

I'd prefer for everyone to know ahead of time, for instance, that maybe someone's trip is about voyeurism or something, you know? 'I get off on peeping at women while they dress' is something everyone in camp should know about and maybe someone whose inclusion might be discussed. Or perhaps the guy who vehemently hates Jews or blacks or something. It might sound unlikely, but I've seen the stars and bars on the playa...maybe we should all talk about whether or not he's really with the spirit of the camp before we say yeah, come on out.

It's also a matter of the camper deciding whether he or she wants to camp after getting to know the other campers that have already committed.

It's not an approval process, just a getting to know you kind of thing. And it's up to everyone to be involved in the discussion because everyone is affected. I hope I'm not being unreasonable. If anyone thinks so, speak up, and I'll drop the issue and we'll simply say come one come all. This is a collective, not a dictatorship.
Fat SAM

Postby Somnivore » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:13 pm

I think everyone interested in being part of the camp should post up and say hi (those that haven't yet). Times running short (only 4 weeks before I gotta get on the road) and I agree that we should get a more concrete head count so that we know if those of us that have more gear need to bring it.

I may be putting words in Sam's mouth, but I got the feeling he really just means that the others that haven't spoken up do so, just as the rest of us have in this thread. Let's continue the "getting to know each other" process. Don't think it was meant to be exclusionary, just getting a feel for everyones persona.

FWIW, my thing is watching them get undressed Sam :wink: . Just checking everyones funny bone :P
Somnivore

Hello Hello

Postby IslandTartan » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:28 pm

First off hello to all the lovely people in here. I participated in the 2003 burn and haven't been the same since. I haven't been able to make it back *home* since then but it's looking like I will be able to attend *ride share permitting* From reading all of your posts, your camp seems like something I would love to participate in. I would gratefully welcome the opportunity to come to know all of you and hopefully to meet you in person at the burn. Thank you for starting this thread...........love and light
Do your duty, leave the rest to the gods.......
IslandTartan

Postby Red Vixen » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:01 pm

Ok I see the point and I appreciate that there must be a sense of community and safety... especially for the staggettes.

My travel plans are still not finalized, but I will have any potential campmates get on this thread, if to stag camp they hope to head.
Red Vixen

Burning Since: 2005

Postby plowman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:39 pm

If I can get my truck running in time, I will be turning it into my sleeping quarters with a 6x4 attachment off the back. If not, my dome tent. I think it's 7x9. And everthing else I can stuff into a 93 Old's

I love diversity, I think we all can learn from each other,and enjoy each others company. Vets and Virgins, Young and not so Young (I hate the word "old"). Just keep an open mind, open heart, and excersise patiance and tollerance.

Postby plowman » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:18 pm

A huge chunk of BM Realestate. But not an "OFFICIAL THEME CAMP"? WOW!! Think about it.
Participating without Participation?
Getting involved without the Politics?
Could this be another form of passive disobidience?
More people for the PROTEST???
I like it!!!
plowman

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:38 pm

I'm back from Rafting the Deschutes river for 5 days. I'm really tired but it was awesome. It is really good to see the progress here. I'm excited!

My shade area needs about 45'x45' square and I need room to walk arround my truck and trailer that will be parked behind the shade structure. My repair area will be on the back of my trailer and I plan on having access to that area from the camp access path. I am sure my needs will be more than met by the space being set asside for me now. When I set up I will conserve space as much as possible for all the obvious reasons.

Welcome aboard new additions!
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby emotion_sickness » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:45 pm

i cant exactly bring too much as I'm driving a small car and space is limited. Me and a guy from Bozeman are driving down and last I heard he was going to stay with another camp, but he needs some room in the car too for his gear now since we'll be split up. Aside from personal essentials like a tent, bedding, food and water, costumes, and bikes I dont think we'll have much room for anything else. I'll probably have some water to spare and various alcohol too. Wine, beer, maybe vodka. I'll be getting there as early as possible tho so if anyone needs help setting stuff up you'll have a hand at that. I've also got a pretty wide variety of music to listen to if anyone is bringing any sort of music setup.
Why?
emotion_sickness

Postby badidea » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:03 pm

Got room for one more? My friend I was going to go with just got a new job and had to back out. I'll be bringing plenty of liquor to share and a 45W solar setup for some limited "green" 12V power. I can probably get my hands on a car port tent for some additional shade, but it sounds like there might already be enough shade structures.
badidea

Postby PinkBunny68 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:38 pm

going stag this year too would love some space for a tent. this will be my 4th burn havent been since 01. My camp broke up and I can't find them I'm getting there on the 23rd to help with the greeter station and can help with the camp setup as well.

Pink Bunny
PinkBunny68

Postby harley1200 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:09 pm

I'm in if you'll have me. It will just be me and my car (which I will sleep in) I don't need much room. I can't arrive until Wednesday
"Practice is the road on which we travel."
harley1200

Postby cjkovallis » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:32 pm

We would like to camp with you also, if you think it is a good fit. We are a couple, less than young (I am 40 and my husband 51), and this will be our first time to Burning Man. We have two shade structures - a 10x10 and a 14x14, and a white mini-van. We'll put our tent under one of the shade structures. We cannot come until Wed. either (babysitter issues).

As for trades - I am kind of a plumber...
cjkovallis

Postby plowman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:32 pm

Welcome, bad, pink,harley,and cj.
If everyone brings the things they need to survive, and a little extra if you can. Then I'm sure, if we pool our resources we will have a comfortable camp in a harsh environment.
There is no such thing as too much shade on the playa!!
This is looking better and better as we get closer and closer to going home. ( at least to me )

Postby Fat SAM » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:03 pm

Wow! Welcome to everybody! I can't believe how many people we've got now. Thanks everyone for the introductions. I think we're good with the original camp design, even with all the newcomers. If we need to expand, we'll do it in the tent area. We're going to have to keep car space in mind, too.
Does anyone have any changes or suggestions?

Harley, don't sleep in your car. Sleep in the shade area, at least. I spent my first burn in a car and it was uncomfortable and crampy. It's nice to be able to stretch your legs and be somewhat comfortable at the end of the day...
Fat SAM

Postby rane » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:58 pm

hi, my names rane and im a 22/yo first time burner. ill be comin alone on the 27th and want to be a part of this camp! ive been payin attention to your posts through its creation, but i didnt want to try to join before getting my ticket and a ride, but now i have, so i hope this works out. Itll just be me and my small tent and bike. will be bringing alcohol, and other fun stuff. hope to see you all soon.
-rane
buy the ticket. take the ride.
rane

Postby plowman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:01 pm

Harley, if you can get an air mattress you will be comfortable. Even if it's a cheep 2.00 pool mattress, it's better than a hot, cramped car, and the hard playa
Welcome, Rane!!

Postby motskyroonmatick » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:06 pm

Wow it is really great to have so many future camp mates. I'm totally jazzed up to get to meet all of you and build our camp.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Postby harley1200 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:32 pm

The original ideal was to put the back seats down and sleep with my feet in the trunk part and my head in the car part. Although I have not tested this idea I think I'll fit. I have done a lot of camping so I am not adverse to sleeping outside as long as there is shade. I was just planning on making a simple shade structure over my car, I really want to go minimalist this year but what the hell, maybe I'll go all out.
"Practice is the road on which we travel."
harley1200

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:39 pm

Air matresses are the bomb. I never Playa without one. Best 35 camping bucks I have spent and it came with a battery powered air pump. Second best bang for the buck for me is ear plugs so it is easier to sleep when it is loud. Third is the solar shower bag with solar powered grey water evaporating system. And on and on. It's going to be my fourth burn and I seem to bring more stuff each year. I like setting up a good camp with nice amenities.
I reccommend a tent and some shade over it for a minimal way to go. Good airflow is key to staying comfortable.

motskyroonmatick

Postby Somnivore » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:20 pm

Wow is this thing taking off or what! Sorry I haven't posted in a few days, started a new job and had to put my dog to sleep yesterday. Been feeling guilty as hell, big empty spot in the ole heart now :cry: :cry: . Got home and the 6 year old says "Daddy, Bandit went to heaven today". It's fucked, he wasn't sick, just bad circumstances.
Anyway, this is going to be jammin', got plenty of folks ready to have a good time. Getting our space is going to have to be a priority. Seems like a few are getting in early (I'm the 26th). The first ones there are going to have to step up and make a land grab 8) . Looking forward to seeing all, I'll be watchin and posting. Peace, Tom.
Somnivore

Postby emotion_sickness » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:43 pm

I'll be there at 12:01am Monday morning (or however long it takes me to get thru the gates if there is a line...but I'll be in line at least!) Who else is planning on arriving as early as possible? Where do you want me to grab, is it 8:45 and F still? or maybe a little bit farther south :wink: lol BTW how does getting in work if you have a ticket at will call? does it take a lot longer to do that?

ps sorry to hear about Bandit, losing a family member is tough.
Why?
emotion_sickness

Postby Somnivore » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:32 am

Thanks ES. I think camp will be set by Monday, just have to look for it. I'll get there Sunday, but one or two others will be before me so hopefully the "land grab" will already have occured. I've got a bright orange aviation windsock that I'll put up ASAP for a basic marker, although I'm sure there will be plenty others everywhere.
Somnivore

Postby quixotedlm » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:04 pm

Hello good peeps,

I'm coming to Burning Man!!! Yay!!

I still don't have a ticket, but I have a ride.
I haven't bought supplies etc, but I'd have it all squared up within the next week.

I'm 28yo male from Seattle, WA. I'm an Engineer by profession, in good shape, have varied intereststs (hiking, skating, dancing) and a classical liberal in outlook.

Thought I'd say hello to the rest and ask if I can join in :)
quixotedlm

Postby newtoburningman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:57 pm

Been following your post and would like to join in with you guys mid week (Wednesday pm) if that would be ok. Wondering, though, if you know how many females vs. males in the group. (Me being a first time female burner, it would be nice to have some female camaraderie nearby.) Thanks!
newtoburningman

PreviousNext

Return to 2007 Theme Camps