Stag Camp

Postby wannaberavin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:18 am

Wish I could go this year and join you at Stag Camp. Maybe by next year some of my fears will be gone and I will manage to get off the east coast and find some likely mided people to help de-virginize me. Have fun!!!
When the Power of Love Overcomes the Love of Power the World Will Know Peace
wannaberavin

Postby quixotedlm » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:04 pm

So how did it go? Did the Stag Camp happen and did it all work out well?
quixotedlm

How it went.

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Stag Camp was fantasticly sucessful. A wounderfull group of complete strangers pulling together made the best burn ever for me. I love and miss all you Staggers!
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Barbie » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:02 pm

I met some of you staggers out at our bar Blackies Bar and Grill...you were with Red Head Viking Girl...Nice to have met you-you were a fun group!!!
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby Fat SAM » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:38 pm

I have to second what Motsky said...it was a fantastically successful camp, particularly so when one considers that it took two months to organize. We had more than 50 campers, everyone got along famously, there was no drama, there were no bad attitudes. As far as I'm concerned it was all love. Amazing. STAG Camp made 2007 my best year on the playa. I couldn't have had a better time. Until next year, maybe... :wink:
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.
Fat SAM

How can you say maybe Sam the man?

Postby Red Vixen » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:37 am

This last Bman was incredible for me soley due to the realization of Stag Camp which only came to fruition becaue of you my dear FS. We must do it again.....
Red Vixen

Burning Since: 2005

staggering forward

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:50 pm

Count me in -- I'm ready to do it again!

I'll start with the directions of how to get to Stag Camp.

After passing the greeters station turn left on to the outermost ring road.

Continue on that road untill you see a STAG ----> Sign

Follow the signs to the rear of camp and pull in to camp on the camp access road. You will know where to camp or someone will help you find a spot.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Postby Barbie » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:26 am

Aloha Redheaed Viking Gal,
I loved meeting you and your fellow Stag Campers :D :D :D
I think I might like to Camp with You GUYS next Year... Barbie (from Blackies Bar & Grill)
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby Red Vixen » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:10 pm

Barbie, we would love to have at the camp, right Motz? We need a good bartender too.

Happy Holidaze to all at staggers!

Red
Red Vixen

Burning Since: 2005

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:15 am

Barbie, I'm impressed and awed that you might leave Blackie's for us. Wow! Blackie's is famous!
You of course are welcome to join us in Stag Camp. Red is right. We would love to have you there.

Staggering forward again! I love it.

Hi Red! :D

motskyroonmatick

Postby Toolmaker » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:08 pm

Motsky are you all planning to register as a themecamp next year?
Toolmaker

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:52 pm

Toolmaker,
There has been a little talk of registering and getting an assigned space. In the natural progression of things it seems like this is the way things go for camps that become more organized. I am not opposed to registering but like the flexibility that doing a land grab gives for having an appropriately sized camp in relation to the number of participants. Last year the idea and putting together of the camp happened after the deadline for theme camp registration so I did a land grab for us. We also did not want to exclude people so that meant we had to have a flexible camp size which registering does not allow you to have.
There are many things to weigh the pros and cons on.
I guess I could have said--Possibly and probably. We really havn't had any real planning sessions for 08.

Disclaimer-(I have allways liked setting up my welding and repair shop without being registered and so I am partial to the hapenstance that occurs by finding ones own spot in the city.)

Does that answer you question?

motskyroonmatick

Postby melancholy harlot » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:55 pm

Hey loves, it's nikki. Please excuse the name change; I decided I no longer wanted to go by my *real* name on eplaya. ;) Sooo banal. Came across your post this morning and am going to reply here and copy the discussion to tribe. (I'm not even sure if posting this here is against eplaya etiquette; if it is, I apologize to everyone.) Since ticket sales are coming up and the excitement is beginning to brood, we might as well start this discussion??

Here are, as I see it, the pros and cons of registering as a theme camp.

Pros: the stability and security of a guaranteed spot, which removes the pressure of a land grab (which I don't know how we could have done w/o you, opie); a location that's easier to find; the increased visibility if we're looking to expand our stag family; and the enjoyment of hosting fellow burners in a camp we love.

Cons: the chance that we're assigned a space smaller than we desire or we're on the other end of camp (I think we all really liked the 9 o'clock area??); the fact that the burning man website describes a theme camp as a place that provides "an ambiance, a visual presence, in some way provide a communal space or provides activity"

This last stipulation is not necessarily a con, but it's the only one I'm worried about. Perhaps one of our veterans, someone who has actually seen the theme camp registration form, can post more detail as to how strict this requirement is??? Is our eligibility as a theme camp seriously evaluated based on this requirement?

The reason this is the aspect I'm concerned about is that the stag camp mentality has such a strain of independence that I'm not sure how this would work. We've all been pretty opposed to pooling money so far (it's so very complicating) so how would we stage/organize such a party/space? Who would take what responsibilities? (If it's a lax requirement, this is not such an issue...) And, for that matter, will we be planning on a more organized distribution of duties this year, regardless of whether we register as a theme camp?

Anyhow. If I'm jumping the gun by about six months, I can't help it, I'm excited. Can't wait to get planning to be together again. Moving over to tribe now; miss and love everyone.
melancholy harlot

Postby melancholy harlot » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:00 pm

That being said, I am sure whatever happens will be wonderful. As long as I'm with you guys, I'm happy. Just want to dot our Is and cross our Ts. Stag Camp 1.0 set the bar pretty high with the most minimal of planning. ;)
melancholy harlot

Postby gaminwench » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:58 am

Theme Campe are *supposed* to be 24/7 interactive....the trick is to invent/create something that is participant operated on both ends, with minimal camp maintenance....you don't have to do the huge rave camp thing - it's already being done to death!!!
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:12 pm

FWIW here are the links to the ORG themecamp stuff..

resource guide
http://www.burningman.com/themecamps/re ... guide.html

forms
http://forms.burningman.com

As far as space goes, estimate your camp population on the high side. Early arrivals for setup can do a land grab of public space next to the reserved themecamp space.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby AntiM » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:54 pm

There are also villages, which fall between theme camps and open camping ... although I think they register the same way a theme camp does, and they do have interactive components. Hushville, Gigsville, Kidsville and AEZ are the first that come to mind.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby pinemom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:31 pm

hahaha wee squeek through as Terminal...
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:34 pm

And don't forget Wheeeee!Ville, the best goddamn village on the playa. Our moniker: "Not Gigsville".
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby emotion_sickness » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:25 pm

i for one really enjoyed having to wander around in the dark looking for the then-barely-existant Stag Camp in the wee hours on monday morning with only a vague idea of where to look...still having hardly any idea what i had gotten myself into :) that first glimpse of the empty city streets under the moonlight was such a peaceful welcome and one of my favorite memories of 2007...before it all kind of became a blur of happiness...now im just counting down the days and squirreling away $$ to be able to join you guys again in 2008! i hope eveyone's holidays went well and the new year got off to a great start! i miss you guys!
emotion_sickness

Postby melancholy harlot » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:44 pm

Stef and I also had a wonderful adventure looking for Stag Camp at about 2am Monday morning. We missed all the signs our first time around and kept jumping out of the car to talk to people. It was our first year and these were the first burners we'd ever interacted with! People kept offering us their bikes to go look with. I will never forget the look on Stef's face when some sweetheart told her, "I don't know where your camp is, but take this! And if you can't find your people, come back and camp with us!" She came back to the car with a gigantic smile and a mutlicolored glowing ball... There was no one but Opie and Gigi in camp when we got there, but the minute we laid eyes on Dave, it was totally clear we were home. :)
melancholy harlot

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:19 pm

Aww. Blush.

Lets Get Ready To STUMBLE!

I mean Stagger.

motskyroonmatick

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:51 pm

So many times while on Poop Patrol I staggered right instead of left on G, exactly the wrong direction. Once I stopped the car in the intersection, got out and walked around until I saw your mailbox & truck. It was nice once you had the shelter up.
robbidobbs

Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:20 pm

Yah that shelter was one hell of a land mark! It was too much work though so I am planning on building shade off of the box truck for this year. I just need to find a rack for the top of the truck. I've seen them around so it is just a matter of finding where they are acquired.
The mail box will be on the street again but it will say Space Yacht in black on yellow of course.

I wonder if we will break the 1000 mark with the porta pots this year.

motskyroonmatick

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:00 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:I wonder if we will break the 1000 mark with the porta pots this year.

JotS placed 1075 units this year. They had to purchase 200 additional units for their emergency contingency plan. We used them up. The amount of tp we used was as well staggering. I just wish we could do better for them.
robbidobbs

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:15 pm

Holly Crap!! I thought we were at a bit over 850. Wow!

I think Burners do pretty good with the no moop in the poop but there is room for improvement on the part of some of the participants. Without your immense dedication and effort the health department would surely shut us down by Thursday...Maybe Tuesday. Yours is the most important job on the playa and the best!

motskyroonmatick

Postby BitterDan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:54 pm

Yours is the most important job on the playa and the best!

I would think it would be a shitty job. Get it? Shitty! HAHAHHAAHA. I kill me.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:07 pm

It is the best job, I created it.
Unfortunately we aren't doing a good job, in fact we still suck.
I'm not going to crosspost, but as Mayor of Stag Camp, what do you think of this Motsky?....

viewtopic.php?p=360384#360384
robbidobbs

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:33 pm

I'll respond in the Potty Project thread.

I'm not the Mayor of Stag Camp but I am a member of the board of directors. I ended up being the janitor in the end.

(Insert something witty and positive about Stag Camp here because I just ran out of wit) :?

motskyroonmatick

Postby plowman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:54 pm

Hi to all you staggers, It's that time of year again.Tickets went on sale today. I hope everyone is planning on coming back to STAG CAMP again this year. I hope we don't register this year. I like the independance and freedom to choose. I know the land grab is trickey and there are no gaurantees but thats the fun of it. But whatever you guys decide,you have my support.

Love the new playa name "melancholy harlot"
plowman

PreviousNext

Return to 2007 Theme Camps