Stag Camp

Postby cjkovallis » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:06 pm

I am a female - and will be arriving Wed. PM also with my husband and hope to camp with these folks....Also my first time. I am not sure if you'll have room to squeeze us in when we get there?
cjkovallis

Postby Somnivore » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:22 pm

We're starting to get an idea of the # of people now that everyone is starting to post up. Can't say for sure what the ratio of male to female is (for newtoburningman) but it looks as if at least several ladies have shown interest in joining, along with couples. It would be cool if this doesn't turn into a major issue, but I guess that's easy for me to say since I'm a guy. Just think of us as big brothers :wink:
"Salt em and leave their little beef jerky asses laying around as a testament to the other little mother fuckers that are lurking in the shadows!" Big Worm
Somnivore

Postby plowman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:10 pm

This is great! I don't think it matters too much what the Man ,Woman ratio is. The way this camp is differant from other camps is, Nothing is structured.
It's the idea of pooling resources for shade and security in knowing your stuff will be safe.There aren't any work schedules or time tables.
I think everyone will be doing their own thing. It's nice to sit around in the morning and BS about what you discovered the day before, it gives others ideas on what to do if they don't have plans already.
For all the first timers, chances are, you will be gone most of the day, riding around trying to see it all. Good luck, It can't be done. I try every year and haven't done it yet.
You get back to camp just in time to eat something and freshen up so you can meet the nightlife head on
plowman

Postby Fat SAM » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:06 pm

Somni, I'm awful sorry to hear about your dog...It's a hard thing to have to deal with, and no question...I'm losing a family member this week myself, I think, but it's a different story all together. It'll be a good thing to be able to pat you on the back when we meet. Bring pics, maybe, and a collar or something personal if you can handle it, and burn them in the temple. It's a solemn burn and a really nice way to say goodbye for some.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.
Fat SAM

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Just did a rough mental search of the theme camp placement list and found our target area for camp to be relatively clear. There are several theme camps near but we seem to be a street or two back from the thick areas.

I write on the temple every year. It helps me with the things that are hard to accept.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby newtoburningman » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:44 pm

Thanks, Somnivore! Count me in as one more female in the group! I will be arriving Wednesday, hopefully mid-late afternoon so I can get all set up before sundown. I'm driving in, so I'll have my car, bike, and 2 person tent. That's about all the room I'll need. I'll try to secure a shade of some sort too. Great, looking forward to meeting all you guys!
newtoburningman

Postby plowman » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:14 pm

I just went through all the posts on this site, and near as I can tell, there will be about 20 of us!!! 8 females and 12 males. Not a bad ratio.
Welcome staggers.
You can stagger out in the morning
You can stagger in at night
You can stagger by yourself
You can stagger in a group
Lets all stagger to Stag camp

Tribe.net

Postby Red Vixen » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:44 pm

There was some mention in the earlier threads about Tribe.net or a site for Staggers to blog. Any action on that idea?
Red Vixen

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Fat SAM » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:06 pm

I'll be happy to knock one up...I didn't know if there was any interest in the idea, but I still think it's worth doing. I don't know how websites work, but this threads getting pretty big. We can organize topics and stuff on tribe...Not a big triber, mind you. Just pragmatic.

Shall we call it ? -

http://www.tribes.tribe.net/stag_camp

And. . .it's made.
Fat SAM

Theme camps list

Postby Red Vixen » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:53 pm

Works for me.

Someone just put a link to Theme Camps placement list out on another thread

[url]http://www.burningman.com/themecamps/placement07[/url]

I didn't check them all but did notice alot of camps placed on Freshwater in the vicinity of Stag Camp.
Red Vixen

Postby Fat SAM » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:04 pm

Urk.

That link goes to the tribe home page for some reason. This one takes you to the tribe, I think.

http://tribes.tribe.net/stag_camp
Fat SAM

Tribe net site

Postby Red Vixen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:35 pm

Great news. I am registering now.
Red Vixen

Postby Fat SAM » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:53 pm

Wow, Red...the theme camp placement is HARD to read. Cripes. We'll be ok, though. I remain confident. If we need to, we can skinny up the frontage and build back into the block...I'll throw another blueprint idea up here and on the tribe.
Fat SAM

Postby plowman » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:40 pm

Thank you Sam. I fumbled and bumbled my way into tribes, I think.
plowman

Postby lonestoner916 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:49 pm

"You gotta be brave, Deadheading into the harsh reality of the playa with much of nothing except the desire to realize what a utopian environment is like, the desire to see friends you haven't met yet, to party, to witness nature at her finest (good or bad), And , to BURN THE MAN!!"

Well said!
8)
lonestoner916

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:02 pm

I was thinking the other day that if things grew big enough we might need to modify the shape of camp. I was thinking the shape of a fat T might work. It would give us more area for car park in the back and tents ect. down the middle. The orrigional design of the camp would remain the same...the back space would be wider. This way we would not hog more street frontage and use space that is not camped in as much.

I'm having a hard time getting my tribe registration to take but reading the introductions has been nice. We may have another camp member to add. He should let me know at fire drill tomorrow night.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Postby danny0c0 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:28 am

I'm coming to burning man on Tuesday/Wednesday and I'm going alone. Is there still room in your camp?

I just sorted out a truck share so I should be able to ship some stuff up, what do you still need ? I'm going to be bringing my backpacker guitar already.

Really nice idea for the camp!
Danny.
danny0c0

2 Newbies looking for a home

Postby kreamyjif » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:17 pm

Greetings from DC...I'm making the long trek cross country for my first burn along with my dad. We should be pulling into BRC Thursday afternoon and we're wondering if there is any room in the Stag camp. We'd be more than happy to bring supplies that may need replenishing by the time we arrive. Thanks much, we're looking for to the burn.

In the Man We Trust,
Kreamyjif
kreamyjif

Postby motskyroonmatick » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:31 pm

As of yet we don't have a camp size limit so find us by going to Playa Info and look us up in the data base. one or more nice burners will be there to assist you if need be. It would be best to park on the outside of the city and ride or walk in to Playa Info. Then return to your car and drive to camp. Don't forget to take water and DRINK it.
Welcome aboard!!!!

motskyroonmatick

Hey if i can get a ride....

Postby Funky Monkey Mech » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:40 pm

Hey i am trying to get a ride from san diego area.... if you saw my other post it the new one under the Resorces Topic... would love to join the camp... i am a marine... will have hopefuly a like 200 or 300 for supplies... plus can bring some instant meals ( MRE... some are good others are crapy...) I am an ok cook... i am a helo mechanic for the corp and i am good at fiberglassing and riviting... also can do a bit of arc welding and am an ok mech on diesel engines( if ya bring the parts i could probley fix it).... good at working with my hands.... would need to know if i could get a ride or could stay with you guys... dont have a tent but got my own sleeping bag with a wind dust cover i could crash in... and a mess kit which is just basic small pot and a small frying pan to cook in would like to bring my bike if i get a ride and the person has room either that or can get one in Reno.... thanks for all your help hope sombody will give me a ride and hope i can crash in the stag camp.... This is my first time hope it all goes well... Funky Monkey Mech... Thanks again... :D :!:
Funky Monkey Mech

Postby Sync » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:57 pm

Hi, I'm a third time burner coming stag. A young 50, male,and I would like to join the camp. I was reading the posts about people that need shelter, or who sounded like they were sleeping in cars (been there, done that, hot and cramped.)

I over-prepared this year and got a 12x14 tent so I could stand up and walk around in it, created reflective mylar heat shields for it for comfort. It has room for other campers and their stuff if anyone is interested. Also packing a small quiet honda generator, deep discharge batteries and converter that could help run camp lights, small appliances ect.

My preference is for people not hung up on modesty, but respectful of personal space. Don't care when or how people drift in or out as long as they are considerate. I plan to be there at 12:01 am Monday morning.
Sync

Postby Fat SAM » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:59 pm

Welcome to all the newcomers...I want to start directing everyone to the tribe for the camp. I do want to stress the importance of the tribe, as well, as this thread is getting unruly in its size and tribe gives us the freedom to develop multiple threads without disrupting the eplaya for our own purposes. So please, do head over and sign up. Everyone is welcome, membership is totally open and needs no approval...you just sign up. Please check it often, as well, because there may be important information that turns up that we should all be in on. Here's the link once again.

http://tribes.tribe.net/stag_camp

You'll have to sign up for tribe but after you do, log in and please introduce yourself there too, just in case there are folks who haven't read your intro here. We'll be tracking tent and shade info there, too, which is VASTLY more important for the camp planning than supplies. Sharing is great and the willingness everyone has shown so far is great too, but the most important thing we need to think about right now - since we've BOOMED for some reason - is space. I want to make sure everyone who wants to gets to camp with us so we have to track our area pretty carefully now.

I can't wait to meet all of you in person! It's going to be a great camp.

Sync, concerning modesty hang ups, if you're talking about nudity, I doubt anyone will mind, but we should all try to clarify our needs/desires/expectations so that we can all be accomodated. Post up on the tribe and we'll all be ready to have a great burn.

See you all soon!
Fat SAM

Postby harley1200 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:37 am

I won't be attending Burning man. Count me out
"Practice is the road on which we travel."
harley1200

Postby Fat SAM » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:58 pm

Shitty, dude. Sorry to hear that. I hope that whatever's got you held back blows over.
Fat SAM

Postby plowman » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Hope everything turns out OK, we hope to see you next year
plowman

Postby plowman » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:54 pm

Hey, I have put us on the map, I think. Go to http://whereareyoucamping.com 8:30 and Freshwater. Stag Camp
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.....
plowman

Postby Somnivore » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:38 am

Awesome P-man, that's one step closer to getting home!! Sorry to hear you can't make it Harley, we'll raise a toast for you when we finally join up.
"Salt em and leave their little beef jerky asses laying around as a testament to the other little mother fuckers that are lurking in the shadows!" Big Worm
Somnivore

Count Me In...

Postby djmattcope » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:13 pm

Thank you SAM for sending me the message about this camp; I am going solo and would love to make a commune with you all! I have a large 10 person tent with a hammock, table and mattress. I drive an SUV and will be setting up 4 4x4 posts for my main center shade support (seen this in previous years; posts are practically impervious to the winds there) and we can build the shade out from there. I am in the middle of contructing a PVC shower that will attatch to one of the posts. I am fully self-sufficient except that I haven't acquired a stove yet. I will have plenty of other good camping goodies like colored LED lights for easy night-time visibility and plenty of good scotch! As far as camp location, I could care less as long as it is reasonably close to the bathrooms, and that we have our main shade on the street edge (I like to interact with passersby). Camping near 9 o'clock would be good this year since they will be selling ice in the smaller 9 and 3 o'clock plazas. How are we to organize? How are we to meet up? Best wishes - Matthew
**Here's to the burn that keeps on burning inside myself -- CHEERS!**
djmattcope

Postby motskyroonmatick » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:41 pm

Organization is here and on tribe....moving more toward tribe. We have a rough idea of what camp will look like from FatSam's map that is on a previous page of this post. I think that between now and the burn things will become more specific. We have allready decided that the area of 845 and F will be the target area for camp but the actual location will depend on the area that the first in Stagger claims. That area will be claimed and then registered at Playa Info. Incoming Staggers would look us up there or go to the general area and search arround. Some sort of signage will be used.

I am overly self sufficient too and am thrilled to be able to share what I have with the other Staggers. I will be bringing my playa tested grey water evaporator for use by the camp. Right now I am in the process of upgrading it for even more capacity.

Welcome aboard!!!

motskyroonmatick

Shower and Water...

Postby djmattcope » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:56 pm

The shower I am building will have a 3' x 3' footprint; will it be able to sit in the corner of the evap pond or is it a different type of evap system? My shower is just a little too big for a kiddie pool - MC
**Here's to the burn that keeps on burning inside myself -- CHEERS!**
djmattcope

PreviousNext

Return to 2007 Theme Camps