Stag Camp

Stag Camp

Postby Fat SAM » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:23 pm

How many folks are going stag this year? My girlfriend and I had a tough time of it last year together because we had such different notions about what we wanted to do at the Burn that we decided to go seperately this year. I've never gone alone and I really enjoy camping with people, but I like the idea of being self-reliant, too, and not having to participate in anything formal. Sometimes it's just nice to know that you can go back to your camp and sit down with people that you've gotten familiar with rather than eating your corned beef hash and granola bar all alone.

Is there anyone out there who'd like to collaborate on a group camp of stag folks? Men, women, gay, straight, smokers, drinkers, tolerant nons, breakfast makers, dinner makers, artists...anybody whose camp fell through or who is just going alone but would still like company...It's not a registered theme camp, so much, as I figure that's all done with but maybe just a group of people who'd like to meet up and camp together.

Is there already a camp like this?
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.
Fat SAM

Postby plowman » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:11 pm

A loose knit camp? One where everyone just hangs out when they are not doing their own thing? One where everyone puts their shade together in the middle for communal comfort and socialization? A camp that is all togther and individual at the same time? A camp where you don't miss breakfast, lunch, or dinner because you were'nt back in time? A camp where you bring your own food and cook, or not, and eat, or not, when you want? A camp where everyone is welcome? A camp that will help and assist anyone in camp who needs it?A camp where you can meet new friends? A camp where, if you are straight, gay, lesbian, bi, or whatever, it doesn't matter? Because everyone has a right to be who they want to be?
If thats what you are looking for then I'm in!!!!!
But it doesn't sound like Stag camp to me..... more like "UPHORIA"!!
plowman

Postby Fat SAM » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:14 pm

Dude, I think you have the right idea. AntiM's got her home for wayward art...This is a home for wayward burners.
Fat SAM

Postby plowman » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:36 pm

Tell me where,and I'll show up.Tell me when so I can negotiate with the boss. WHO??? How about anyone who doesn't want to be alone??
plowman

Postby Fat SAM » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:42 pm

That's my vision. For some reason, I always camp around 9 and about five or six streets back. Lots of space there on monday morning, I guess. Suppose if we get a group of people who are interested, there wouldn't be a problem roping off an area...
Fat SAM

Postby kingofnightmares » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:57 pm

well i am looking for a camp myself, and yours sounds kickass. but i will be flying in and i am wondering if i join u gusy will u guys have food water and a tent i can crash in . i will be will go to into town beofre hand and give about 100 in supply money
kingofnightmares

Postby Fat SAM » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:46 pm

I'm sure if you're a careful shopper, you'd be able to make $100 work for a weeks for of supplies. The first week I moved to Portland, I managed to feed two people on $13. Part of my goal this year is to spend as little as possible because I have very little money, so I'm barely going to have supplies for myself. Same goes for a tent. I'm sure I'll have a shade structure and as many people as can fit under it are welcome to stay there...It's not really theme oriented, you know, other than it's just folks who don't have anyone else to camp with, and so far, including you, we're three. As far as supporting other people...I can't really help you, but you're certainly welcome to be part of the group.

If you need advice on how to spend your hundred bucks, let me know. I'm a pretty frugal shopper and I know where to get everything cheap in Reno, having lived there for fifteen years. If you're serious, keep in touch and we can meet up. I should be leaving Reno on Sunday the 26th in the late afternoon.
Fat SAM

Postby plowman » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:54 pm

[quote="kingofnightmares"]well i am looking for a camp myself, and yours sounds kickass. but i will be flying in and i am wondering if i join u gusy will u guys have food water and a tent i can crash in . i will be will go to into town beofre hand and give about 100 in supply money[/quote]

You gotta be brave, Deadheading into the harsh reality of the playa with much of nothing except the desire to realize what a utopian environment is like, the desire to see friends you haven't met yet, to party, to witness nature at her finest (good or bad), And , to BURN THE MAN!!
Join us and we will figure something out
plowman

Postby spectabillis » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:58 pm

the last time someone mentioned stag camp there was a furry sneaking around the shadows wearing a big black strapon dildo. my tent cant keep anything out, aint no way im goin to get buggered in the middle of the night from some god-damn furry.

nope, not even if it was lucy liu.
spectabillis

Postby plowman » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:03 am

sounds to me like you don't understand the concept of what we are trying to do here. Thats OK though, you're excused.
plowman

Postby spectabillis » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:00 pm

Sounds to me like you don't understand the concept of furries and relations to stag. Thats OK though, you're excused, we cant expect everyone to get trivial anecdotes.
spectabillis

Postby Somnivore » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:08 pm

Sam, you read my mind. As I'm a first time Burner who has wanted to go for the last dozen years (finally doing it this year) my one fear has been the fact that I'm going solo. That along with the near 3000 mile drive have been my only doubts about the trip. The wife can't go due to work, kids, etc, but I made a promise to myself that it was going to happen. That said, I've already offered my services as a medical volunteer in an effort to get to know people when I arrive. I'm social, but walking into a crowd of 40,000 can be intimidating. I'd welcome the opportunity to join a casual group, and will be able to offer a couple of medium/large canopies and of course labor. I plan on getting there Monday (first med shift that night) and stay for the duration. I'll follow this thread to see if it comes together. Thanks! BTW, straight male, semi-smoker, very laid back and non-judgemental, very open minded.
Somnivore

Postby Fat SAM » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:51 pm

Bienvenidos!
Fat SAM

Postby Fat SAM » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:53 pm

spectabillis wrote:the last time someone mentioned stag camp there was a furry sneaking around the shadows wearing a big black strapon dildo. my tent cant keep anything out, aint no way im goin to get buggered in the middle of the night from some god-damn furry.

nope, not even if it was lucy liu.

Furry? Are they like plushies? Cause if that's the case, it was probably me! You can tell because I wear the strap-on on my head.
Fat SAM

Postby Fat SAM » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:55 pm

Seeing as we're developing a unit, I think we should decide on a camping spot. I was thinking of camping at 8:45 and Freshwater. That's my usual spot, though, and I'm open to suggestions, of course.
Fat SAM

Postby plowman » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:47 pm

8:45 and freshwater? I must have missed something. Are the street names out. Is the playa map up? Where do I go to see this?
plowman

Postby Fat SAM » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:07 pm

plowman wrote:8:45 and freshwater? I must have missed something. Are the street names out. Is the playa map up? Where do I go to see this?

Yeah...There's a thread about it but I forget under which category. You can google "Burning Man 2007 streetnames" and you'll go right to the thread.
Fat SAM

Postby plowman » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:15 pm

I found it. Dont know why I got all excited though,A,B,C,D,E,F. F? OH. You mean the 6th street up! I knew that.
plowman

Postby Somnivore » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:38 pm

Sam, I've also got a 5500kw portable generator that I didn't know if I should bring. Can be noisy in a crowded area, what's the general consensus on these things??? About the location, doesn't matter to me as long as it's not in the outer fringes, would like to feel the vibe so to speak.
Somnivore

Postby Fat SAM » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:46 pm

There are generators EVERYWHERE. Usually, the etiquette is to come up with a quiet box if you can, but you have to run the exhaust out somehow and you don't want it to overheat, of course. I had a generator last year and ran it minimally so I wouldn't bother the camp next door and we seemed to work out just fine that way. I'd guess it depends on how often you're going to be using it...so exhaust, location, duration...I don't mind it at all...

Concerning being on the outer fringes, 8:45 is near the top of the west side of esplanade and freshwater, as plowman pointed out, is six streets in. I've found in the past that being near the 9 area helps me see more of the city, because I have to ride back down through the city to get to where I'm going. 6 streets back is not far from the theme camps, close enough to port-a-potties that you don't have to go to for a long trip in the morning but far enough that you can't really smell them. The Deep End has been over there for a couple years, and it's a great dance club, if you're into that. Coffee and Tea (a great place in the morning) is also usually in that area. It's been a reliably good neighborhood for me for years.
Fat SAM

Postby Somnivore » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:56 pm

Well, I'm easy. Would be nice to end up strategically placed across from the Swedish womens volleyball team though... :shock:
Somnivore

Postby plowman » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:26 pm

Another thing to consider is that the 8:45 position puts the afternoon sun at your back for better shade in the heat of the day
plowman

Postby plowman » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:33 pm

The Swedish womens volleyball team must be nice, but I don't think they compare to some of the Godesses I've seen on the playa
plowman

Postby Somnivore » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:35 pm

:twisted: 8)
"Salt em and leave their little beef jerky asses laying around as a testament to the other little mother fuckers that are lurking in the shadows!" Big Worm
Somnivore

Postby jerimiah » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:25 pm

I would second the "far enough from the toilet huts to avoid the smell" idea. Spent last year near BRC gym which happened to be across 3:30 where the huts were. Ok, so you see lots of traffic and sites, but when the wind shifted ....
I like the idea of Stag Camp - sounds like a low stress place. Is this a definite, or still an idea?
Pardon the misspelling of Jeremiah - is there way to fix this?
jerimiah

Postby Fat SAM » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:01 pm

Yeah. This is a definite. I don't think we need to really register or anything...It's not a proper Theme Camp with events and stuff but just a bunch of people camping under the theme of being stag.

I say once we figure out how many are going to be in the camp, whoever gets out there first ropes off an appropriately sized area and puts up a sign as near to the predetermined location as possible.
Fat SAM

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:00 pm

Well it seems that I will be going stag this year...or close to it. After camping on the other side for two years now I think it is time to get back to my roots on the higher number side. BRC welding and repair is moving west! Stag camp it is!
F. S. It was fun repairing your tall bike and now I totally want to make one.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Somnivore » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:12 pm

Any chance on a mini welding class, would love to learn a little more then what my father in law has already taught me. Welcome to camp!
"Salt em and leave their little beef jerky asses laying around as a testament to the other little mother fuckers that are lurking in the shadows!" Big Worm
Somnivore

stag?

Postby joel the ornery » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:16 pm

joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby Fat SAM » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:26 pm

Dude! You couldn't be more welcome! It'll be a pleasure to have you around, for sure. Thanks again, too, for the help on the bike. I'm very happy with it. Now all I have to do is put on some brakes and i'll be stylin'.
Fat SAM

Next

Return to 2007 Theme Camps