My Dad is coming to his first BURN and needs a Mellow Camp

My Dad is coming to his first BURN and needs a Mellow Camp

Postby Fresh Squeezed OJ » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:35 pm

HI Everyone,

My Dad is 66 years old and coming to his first Burn. He is an actor and has had a character called the Green Man Alive for 10 years. It is too perfect for him not to go.

I am only on my second burn so I do not know how to go about finding him an older camp with mostly sober people, who go to sleep at night and meditate on morning.

My camp is loud and party-ish, and I want to find a good community for him.

He lives in Fairfax in Marin county, near San Francisco and would love a local group to connect with.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Email me at ojaffe@gmail.com

Thanks a lot and Peace,
OJ
Fresh Squeezed OJ

Postby mdmf007 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:18 pm

You could throw him into the deep end and send him to Jiffylube, or well, maybe not.

What are his interests? howd he make his living, that would help, I know of firefighters camps, doctor camps, etc.

hope he has a blast
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:31 am

MDMF - You're mean!! (Then again...)

I gotta question. Is the request for a quiter camp yours or his? Hopefully it's his. Otherwise you could be putting your expectations on someone elses plate. Hell, he may dig being part of yer camp. He may dig being part of something wild. Never know - just because he's your dad doesn't necessarily mean he's an old stodgy square. (I shock my kid kinda frequently when she finds out what *my* limits are, as did my folks me...)

Then it gets into another thing, tho... can ya handle partying with yer old man (or vice versa), and finding out each other can be, well, like anyone else? Hard to do, sometimes. But guaranteed to be fun if ya can go there. You might be surprised.

Having said that...

(1) Hushville is pretty nice, but I find it... quiet.

(2) AEZ have some gr8 folk if you can do the no-genny thing.

(3) If'n he's a friend of Bill W., he's got a couple camps out there, all of which are really fun groups.

(4) He (or y'all) can set up a camp outside the "theme camp" thing, and then ya got no rules or expectations. Then ya don't have asshole campmates and etc. , set your own rules, schedules, etc. If I were in his shoes, that's what I'd do.

(4a) How tight are you into your camp? Can ya spring loose to do Burning man with yer ol' man this year? Might make the dif between his being jaded and becoming a burner, and ya might learn stuff about each other ya never knew...

Hugz...
Б. Б.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

MY Dad's First Burn

Postby Fresh Squeezed OJ » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:19 am

Thanks for your comments MDMF and SUE.

It is my Dad's request for a quiet-er camp. And we will be spending time together, but it is important for each of us to have our own experience, although I totally hear ya Sue about creating our own experience together.

My Dad works in a homeless shelter, super giving and caring man, and was an actor in NY for 25 years. The reason why he is going to Burningman is because he has had a character he performs as called the Green Man Alive, where he dresses up in green and does amazing Mary Oliver and Rumi poetry in a public setting. He also runs a non-profit called Write On where he helps people get in touch with their iner pain through writing. Check it out, http://www.writeonworkshops.org/

He is not really a friend of Bill W and while he does not party, is young at hjeart and does not mind being around paryters, I just know he will get tired and want to get some sleep every night.

Any other camp suggestions?

Thanks so much....

Peace and love,

OJ
Fresh Squeezed OJ

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:40 am

I'm with Sue, I think it'd be pretty fucked up if he didn't camp with you. Let him walk out to the trash fence if he wants quiet time. It's only a week out of his life, and he can drop a couple bucks on earplugs like everyone else.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby AntiM » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:51 am

He can consider camping solo in Hushville, although Hushers tend to not let singletons stay isolated for long. Very social village, excellent people. Requires pre-registration, which is not up yet. Very basic, no gennies, no amplified music, LNT. He'll still need earplugs.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ron » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:22 am

My camp, Shady Asylum, is a pretty quiet group. We tend to wander over to the noisy camps to party, and then back home to sleep and rest. Furthermore we've even got another professional actor (or two) in camp and tend to try to take pretty good care of each other. Have him check out www.shadyasylum.org to get a feel for us and see if he might like to pull an oar in our direction this year. Ditto that for anyone else but this year camp members also have to be able to keep a secret until Monday of the Burn...

Ron
Ron

How cool is that? You dad at the Burn..

Postby iamriodv » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:27 pm

I think it's awesome that your Dad is going. He may want to check out our camp: Buddha Camp @the Lotus Dome. You can find us on Yahoo groups to follow what's going on in our discussion thread. Basically, we're SGI Nichiren Buddhists, we chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo [which we plan to do every morning in our "Lotus Dome"], we're planning 2 events in that week (a study of the Buddhist principle of Esho Funi-Oneness of Life and the Environment) - sound like a theme you know?, and also "Poetry Slam" [a little bit of poetry, a wee bit of spanking..] :oops:

All that and I am born & raised in NYC, although I live in Seattle now for nearly 5 years. Your dad may want to hang with us and possibly contribute some of his own distinction [I LOVE Rumi], even if he doesn't "stay over"..

-Rio
iamriodv

Dad @BM

Postby iamriodv » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:19 pm

,,also just found this link:

http://community.eons.com/groups/

It's for Burners over 50. Check it out..hope it helps.
iamriodv

Sweet Thanks,

Postby Fresh Squeezed OJ » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:36 pm

Thanks a lot iamriodv...very generous of you.

He and I will be seeing you on the Playa for some chanting....

Take Care,

Oren and Robert Harry aka The Green Man Alive
Fresh Squeezed OJ

Postby arc » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:33 am

Hi OJ
This will be our 4th burn, we have a 30x50 shade structure and 2 10x20 car port tents, We are not part of a camp we just hang out and have fun we are late 50's and have a massage table, shower, beer and good company Your dad is welcome to hang with us Paul ( arc )
totimeout@hughes.net
arc

Postby sunn » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:47 pm

I think our camp will be a little loud for him but want to extend a special invite for him to come by for happy hour. I think he'd enjoy hanging out because of the 60s theme/music. In the afternoon we'll have more mellow sixties music and our chill space would be nice for him. Also, happy hour appetizers from 4-6.

He's welcome anytime!
sunn

Postby Sensei » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:55 pm

Two words: Death Guild.
I mean, talk about laid back.
Sensei

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:43 pm

The Death Guild are very mellow. It's just the Thunderdome that looks amped up.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Return to 2007 Theme Camps