Burning the HF Comms

Burning the HF Comms

Postby DeusRegit » Mon May 28, 2007 10:17 am

I am working on some plans to do some HF (ham) radio work at the BM 07. ( see www.kc6ooe.com or www.burningmanzeroseven.com )
Along with the Green Man theme I'd like to develop some "free" and "non-commercial" methods of providing text messaging throughout the world without the use of commercial bandwaves -more specifically, not relying on cell phone repeater technology.
Hams are familiar with this mode, called a terminal node controller, as it not only has been around for almost 30 years but it was actually the packet technology developed by hams that was the precursor to on-line messaging (called BBS for those of you who go back that far - GaRbAgE dUmP BBS in Albuquerque, NM comes to mind), but it was the same technology that is now used by the cell phone companies (obviously much more highly developed.)
If any of you out there have any ideas you'd like to throw out about what we can do with this, I would be interested in hearing about it. And, if it sparks enough interest, maybe a theme camp could even be started.
Chip
I'm not burnt, just lightly toasted.
DeusRegit

Burning Since: 2007

Postby MikeVDS » Mon May 28, 2007 12:39 pm

I've actually never used packet but I would be interested in trying it out. I'm a fairly new HAM and would like to familiarize myself more with the equipment out there. If you actually get some things figured out let me know and I'd be willing to help out a little. I already have a lot on my plate for this event but I'm definitely willing to play with some non "standard" HAM equipment. I just plan on having my HT out there and rarely plan on using it.

As far as going across the world it actually seems doable but perhaps impractical. I would think a well designed network of satellites would be needed and unfortunately it's not very cheap or easy to get our stuff up there anymore. It's a nice dream but we have to start somewhere. Also a problem with that would be people intentionally messing with the network. We're small and people still do it. Imagine if it was what everyone used.
MikeVDS

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

HT's on the Playa and Worldwide messaging

Postby DeusRegit » Mon May 28, 2007 4:46 pm

MikeVDS,
Glad you brought up the practicality of worldwide communications without satellites. In truth it is not only practical but I have done it. It was called the Afloat Net Traffic System (ANTS) and myself, along with other MARS hams, developed a worldwide network, first of its kind, back in 1992. I'd like to use something along those same lines for something we can test on the playa. (To find out more about ANTS see www.kc6ooe.com and check my bio.)
As for HT's on the playa - I also heard from Gordon TH6KDY of BurningHams.com that hams do bring HT's but get so involved in everything else going on that they don't have much use for it. I will however have my 2m HT and it will simply allow me to have one more link in whatever coomunications plan I can develop. Plus it will allow to touch bases with any other hams on the playa I haven't met.
Chip
DeusRegit

Postby MikeVDS » Mon May 28, 2007 5:01 pm

Yep, don't use it much. I only used it one day last year to help a virgin find our camp. I scanned a bit and heard no one chatting. There is too much else to do. Bigger better toys to play with. :)
MikeVDS

EME (Moon Bounce)

Postby DeusRegit » Mon May 28, 2007 11:36 pm

I had another idea with regard to your comment about relying on commercial satellites. There is another extraordinary mode of transmission used by some hams called Moon Bounce which uses the moon to bounce their signals back to different locations on the globe instead of satellites. (What could be more Green than using our own moon to communicate with other people throughout the world?)
The antennas are unlike statellite dishes in that they do not use a dish. Instead they resemble a monstrous sized rack of metallic spears aimed at the heavens (and would actually fit in quite well with much of the other larger than life artwork on the playa!)
here's a picture of one:
http://www.kc6ooe.com/eme%20antenna.htm
Chip
DeusRegit

Postby MikeVDS » Mon May 28, 2007 11:53 pm

The moon works but it's not reliable, meaning it's not always where you'd like it to be. I'm not sure what the considerations for doing packet would be but I know mostly they just do CW.
MikeVDS

Tree of Invisible Voices

Postby Strata » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:48 am

We'll be running antennae and anderson powerpole at Camp I Am, as part o the Ambivalent Grove. More hams welcome!

Moonbounce sounds like fun. Since the moon is going to be in eclipse, propagation for moonbounce would be unaffected by solar radiation!

cheers,
Strata
KF6NBZ

"A particularly unusual tree in the Ambivalent Grove is the Tree of Invisible Voices. This 'tree' will actually host several ham radio antennas, going down to a small installation at its base. We'll be allowing supervised use of ham radio equipment so visiting (licensed) amateur radio operators an opportunity to check in with friends, family, and other hams via the long-range HF bands. We will be coordinating with the BurningHams groups so that anyone using Anderson PowerPole connectors can plug in their rigs and hook up to the antennas. We may be able to set up some QSO's (conversations) with other Burn groups in other countries, if the sunspots are cooperating and we get good tropo!"
Engineer, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 *
Strata

multiple antennaes into one tree??

Postby DeusRegit » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:26 pm

strata... trying to visualize your concept here... do I understand you want to run more than one antenna off of one mast (or tree?)
Is this still in the concept stage or do you have something that can show in better detail how this will work?
Chip
kc6ooe
DeusRegit

Return to 2007 Theme Camps