What theme Camp are YOU in?

What theme Camp are YOU in?

Postby SunshineSuzy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:29 am

(Again, if this needs to be moved, please do.
Secondly, Sorry for any typos, something is wrong with my keyboard!)

I'm interesting in knowing a bit more about some Theme Camps, before I run away to spend a week in BRC, and maybe finding thr right one for me. Links and info, to your camp, would be great.
xoxo
Luck, love and light to you,
-Suzy
SunshineSuzy

Postby gyre » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:43 am

Just go and see everything you can.
Some of the previous years theme camp lists can be interesting.
Some theme camps are never registered.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby SunshineSuzy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:44 am

gyre wrote:Just go and see everything you can.
Some of the previous years theme camp lists can be interesting.
Some theme camps are never registered.

Yeah, I've found a buncha really cool ones from last year, but I don't want to be, "DAMN, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE BLAHBLAHBLAH CAMP, I saw it on last year's thing!" and it not be here. :(
xoxo
-Suzy
SunshineSuzy

Postby gyre » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:04 am

Even when it is on the list and heavily promoted, they may not make it.
That drove me nuts the first year.
I never looked at the list last year.
I just kept going.
There are theme camps that have no sign.
You just have to stumble over them.
Sometimes they are idiots and forgot a sign.
With others it is quite deliberate.
Don't waste much time looking for one thing.
I was looking for something else and found the tuna guyz.
I just dropped what I was looking for.
To find them, enter the tunnel under the man and take the east fork to the city.

Just walk up to people and say.
"Who the hell are you?" and
"What are you doing?"

If they have difficulty answering this, it may be a sign of something interesting,
or not.

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:40 am

"Who the hell are you?" and
"What are you doing?"

I'm David and I bring, assemble and operate Blcak Rock City Welding and Repair. A small camp. Friends help with the camp and I do all the welding and repairing. If your stuf breaks look for my camp on F or G between 2:30 and 4:00--Yellow mailbox. I am also in the playa info database. Faithfully unregistered since 2004.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby SunshineSuzy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:47 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:"Who the hell are you?" and
"What are you doing?"

I'm David and I bring, assemble and operate Blcak Rock City Welding and Repair. A small camp. Friends help with the camp and I do all the welding and repairing. If your stuf breaks look for my camp on F or G between 2:30 and 4:00--Yellow mailbox. I am also in the playa info database. Faithfully unregistered since 2004.

If I find anything the needs repair, I'll send it your way, David. :0 I'm Suzy, but everyone under the sun calls me Sunshine. <3
xoxo
-Suzy
SunshineSuzy

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:59 am

Good to meet you S.S. See you on the playa!!!
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby SunshineSuzy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:13 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:Good to meet you S.S. See you on the playa!!!

I'll make sure to stop by and say What's up! ;)
xoxo
-Suzy
SunshineSuzy

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:15 am

Sunshine...... I love your enthusiasm.......

I recommend you just go your first year, and enjoy it...... do not try to get involved in a theme camp. There are tooo many things to see and do there...... btw, I've never ever seen everything, each year I've gone......

That way you can visit and enjoy as many "theme camps" and "non-theme camps" as you can.... without having to put all of the work in...... Not to say that's a bad thing, cause we all do it..... But the experience is special... especially, your first Burn.

Just come well prepared (read the first-timer's guide), enjoy, and come visit all of us......
I hope to see you there.... And Welcome Home!
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby SunshineSuzy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:17 am

thisisthatwhichis wrote:Sunshine...... I love your enthusiasm.......

I recommend you just go your first year, and enjoy it...... do not try to get involved in a theme camp. There are tooo many things to see and do there...... btw, I've never ever seen everything, each year I've gone......

That way you can visit and enjoy as many "theme camps" and "non-theme camps" as you can.... without having to put all of the work in...... Not to say that's a bad thing, cause we all do it..... But the experience is special... especially, your first Burn.

Just come well prepared (read the first-timer's guide), enjoy, and come visit all of us......
I hope to see you there.... And Welcome Home!

Awh, you're adorable. <3
I'm a bit scared it will be like whe my boyfriend and I go to Disneyland.
suzy: "Babe, we seriously have to ride Dumbo and the Love boats this time, since we didn't do it last time."
Louk: "Uh-huh."
Suzy at the end of the night: "Shit, we never got to Dumbo or the love boats, did we?"

Haha.
xoxo
-Suzy
SunshineSuzy

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:27 am

mmmm... yes, you will never get to ride all of the rides.......
But, don't forget the radical self-reliance part (and plan this up front).......... It's your journey.....
TITWI

thisisthatwhichis

Postby SunshineSuzy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:28 am

thisisthatwhichis wrote:mmmm... yes, you will never get to ride all of the rides.......
But, don't forget the radical self-reliance part (and plan this up front).......... It's your journey.....

It's totally not just a, "Hey! Let's go to Burning Man." kind of thing. I wrote about ti in, "Honesty" in the general forum.
xoxo
-Suzy
SunshineSuzy

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:33 am

Yes, I know....... The rest of the message, was also important, though...... 8)
TITWI

thisisthatwhichis

Postby SunshineSuzy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:10 am

thisisthatwhichis wrote:Yes, I know....... The rest of the message, was also important, though...... 8)

Thanks. <3
xoxo
-Suzy
SunshineSuzy

Postby Interested bystander » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:53 am

I'm not with a theme camp and if it's your first year I would advise that you be a GDI also. I first went to BM in 1998 and have only missed 3 years since that time. I have never been a part of a theme camp and to be honest I don't think I would enjoy it as I'm a little too independent. I also gave up trying to "see everything" as the growth has made that virtually impossible since about 2000. My advice would be to just plan on camping by yourself or with friends and try to think of something small but interactive to help meet people.

One year we had an art scroll on the street in front of our camp made from a sheet of plywood, dowel rod, and roll of butcher paper along with art supplies (fingerpaints, chalk, etc.). People who passed by could write or draw anything they wanted on it to express themselves. It wasn't fancy but it was fun and allowed us to interact with other participants.

Another year we were going to do a reading room, we had rugs, folding chairs, lots of books, snacks and drinks, et. but the wind tore up our shelters before we could really get set up.

Just use a little imagination and you can find something fun to do. As far as seeing things, I don't try to plan any visits, I just walk or ride around and see what I stumble into. Last year my wife and I probably didn't visit 1% of the theme camps but we got to know our neighbors, volunteered at center camp, and had a great time.
Interested bystander

Postby SunshineSuzy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:04 am

Interested bystander wrote:I'm not with a theme camp and if it's your first year I would advise that you be a GDI also. I first went to BM in 1998 and have only missed 3 years since that time. I have never been a part of a theme camp and to be honest I don't think I would enjoy it as I'm a little too independent. I also gave up trying to "see everything" as the growth has made that virtually impossible since about 2000. My advice would be to just plan on camping by yourself or with friends and try to think of something small but interactive to help meet people.

One year we had an art scroll on the street in front of our camp made from a sheet of plywood, dowel rod, and roll of butcher paper along with art supplies (fingerpaints, chalk, etc.). People who passed by could write or draw anything they wanted on it to express themselves. It wasn't fancy but it was fun and allowed us to interact with other participants.

Another year we were going to do a reading room, we had rugs, folding chairs, lots of books, snacks and drinks, et. but the wind tore up our shelters before we could really get set up.

Just use a little imagination and you can find something fun to do. As far as seeing things, I don't try to plan any visits, I just walk or ride around and see what I stumble into. Last year my wife and I probably didn't visit 1% of the theme camps but we got to know our neighbors, volunteered at center camp, and had a great time.

GDI?

i don't really have a desire to be in a theme camp, I'm just curious as to what to expect.
xoxo
-Suzy
SunshineSuzy

Postby MikeVDS » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:44 pm

I'm with the Tiki Fuckos this year. http://tikifuckos.org

Since you expressed interest in our campout we may end up meeting before the burn since we're doing one more and will make appearances at other local events. You'll see pictures of junk we do / have done on our page and I'm making a new section dedicated to organizing pictures of our events.

We're not going to be a big camp, but we're doing it our style. A few DJs, music, dancing crazieness and a lot of fire.
MikeVDS

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

RE: What theme Camp are YOU in?

Postby Andy Wing » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:03 pm

This will be Videogasm's 10th year, and Snowflake Village's 8th.
Here's last year's stuff:

http://www.videogasm.com/burningman/2006/
Andy Wing

Burning Since: 1998
Camp Name: Videogasm/Snowflake Village

Postby SunshineSuzy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:12 pm

Mike, you're another one of my favorite posters. It's awesome to get a reply from you. I'm honored.
xoxo
-Suzy
SunshineSuzy

Re: RE: What theme Camp are YOU in?

Postby SunshineSuzy » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:13 pm

Andy Wing wrote:This will be Videogasm's 10th year, and Snowflake Village's 8th.
Here's last year's stuff:

http://www.videogasm.com/burningman/2006/

I'm checking out Videogasm now!
xoxo
-Suzy
SunshineSuzy

Postby Interested bystander » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:19 pm

SunshineSuzy wrote:
Interested bystander wrote:I'm not with a theme camp and if it's your first year I would advise that you be a GDI also. I first went to BM in 1998 and have only missed 3 years since that time. I have never been a part of a theme camp and to be honest I don't think I would enjoy it as I'm a little too independent. I also gave up trying to "see everything" as the growth has made that virtually impossible since about 2000. My advice would be to just plan on camping by yourself or with friends and try to think of something small but interactive to help meet people.

GDI?

i don't really have a desire to be in a theme camp, I'm just curious as to what to expect.

When I was in college, back in the stone age, you had the greeks (TKE, PKA, etc.) and the GDIs which stood for God Damn Independent.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your desire to participate in a theme camp but if I did then I was probably mislead by your original post:

"I'm interesting in knowing a bit more about some Theme Camps, before I run away to spend a week in BRC, and maybe finding thr right one for me."
Interested bystander

Postby Teo del Fuego » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:35 am

I was with a low-key theme camp my first year, and, for me, that was the best way to go. First, I was with really experienced Burners who knew what the heck they were doing. Second, it was nice to have a home-base from which to explore. As a newbie, I think your camp mates will expect you to be out and about tryin' to ride all the rides.

Any hoo, stop by Mile High Club or Astral Headwash and say hi to the folks from Colorado
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Toolmaker » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:58 pm

I will be raising a ruckus with Tiki Fuckos. Mike promised me I could make FIRE! I plan on spending a fair amount of time checkin out art installations and art cars. I will also have a spot in the "residential" area to escape to if I need to sort myself out somewhere. I was originally planning on DPW but an injury is keeping me from be able to participate in what those wonderful folks do every year. I have a list of camps to check out but will only probably get to half of them. A week is not enough time to see everything.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby unjonharley » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:15 pm

Toolmaker wrote:I will be raising a ruckus with Tiki Fuckos. Mike promised me I could make FIRE! I plan on spending a fair amount of time checkin out art installations and art cars. I will also have a spot in the "residential" area to escape to if I need to sort myself out somewhere. I was originally planning on DPW but an injury is keeping me from be able to participate in what those wonderful folks do every year. I have a list of camps to check out but will only probably get to half of them. A week is not enough time to see everything.

\/
You damn well better stop by my camp..Or I will hunt you down and cut off the wrong toe..

better yet we all find where phil is hanging and decend on him
unjonharley

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:32 pm

I'm honored.

I'm honored that someone actually reads my posts instead of just seeing the little red sign as a "warning skip this guys post sign". :twisted:
MikeVDS

Postby Toolmaker » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:54 pm

unjonharley wrote:
Toolmaker wrote:I will be raising a ruckus with Tiki Fuckos. Mike promised me I could make FIRE! I plan on spending a fair amount of time checkin out art installations and art cars. I will also have a spot in the "residential" area to escape to if I need to sort myself out somewhere. I was originally planning on DPW but an injury is keeping me from be able to participate in what those wonderful folks do every year. I have a list of camps to check out but will only probably get to half of them. A week is not enough time to see everything.

\/
You damn well better stop by my camp..Or I will hunt you down and cut off the wrong toe..

better yet we all find where phil is hanging and decend on him

I was hoping too.. only problem is I don't know where you will be camping. I know you mentioned that you were going to drop by dianes howl-a-thon but I don't recall you mentioning a specific camp. I am looking forward to learning how to howl.. so far I can only yell and curse really loud.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby unjonharley » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:56 pm

\/
TOol, I will be easy to find this year.. Go out the 8:30 street to F-G.. THis year I will aka unjon the impaler..THere will be impaled oven mitts.. Just a warning to any passing by..
unjonharley

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:08 pm

I've noticed a bit of an ovenmit thing with Apokoliptica, and now you. I love it; don't get me wrong, but I think I'm missing something.
MikeVDS

Postby AntiM » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:05 pm

Anti M's Home for Wayward Art, and the Flaming Joes Wyoming Annex, are sub-camps in the village of Hushville. Come by and adopt some art. Hushville will be on the map, we're easy to find.

At Element 11 (Utah regional burn), we also have Anti M's Closet (costume exchange) and Anti M's Municipal Ordinance Violation (Art Petting Zoo/sculpture garden), plus The Home and The Annex, lump it all together and we're Anti M's Weirdness Collective. I also have Anti M's Mafia for those times when I need muscle in nice suits to, ya know, collect on dem debts and suchlike.

Next: Anti M presents Larry Harvey's Hat.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:14 pm

MikeVDS wrote:I've noticed a bit of an ovenmit thing with Apokoliptica, and now you. I love it; don't get me wrong, but I think I'm missing something.

Don't try to understand Apockalyptika.
That way lies madness.

gyre

Next

Return to 2007 Theme Camps