The Loner Virgin Camp

Postby cupcake jones » Sun May 27, 2007 10:09 am

im down to camp with loner first timers! my brother and i are both "virgins" who will be going with his girlfriend who has been once before.

i think solo collective is a great idea!
"Don't worry if the lines blur"
cupcake jones

Postby MikeVDS » Sun May 27, 2007 10:31 am

It looks like there is interest in this but I don't think anyone has taken the lead. If someone has, or is going to, they should speak up, If you want a dedicated space and/or to appear on the official map then you'll have to register as a theme camp by may 31. The original poster has not said anything in here for a month and has not posted on these forums for a week, so I'm not certain he's taking the ball and running with it.

It may be wise to set up a separate forum just for potential members who want to get the camp started. If you start a theme camp I might recommend asking not to be placed somewhere, and form on the outer street at 2:00 or something. That way you can have space to expand and welcome the unexpected people. Really though, that who area is already the "loner" camp that you guys are suggesting. But if you want something formalized someone will have to do it soon.
MikeVDS

Postby designbunny » Tue May 29, 2007 11:42 am

I'd like to join your camp too! I'm a BM virgin! I'm coming from the UK, via Canada, Mexico and Ecuador. Travelling about you see.
Wondering how to get to Black Rock - is it better to fly into LA & get the bus, or fly into Vegas & get the bus, or hire a car?

If anyone wants to share lifts - that would be brill. There was a lift share thing on the BM website, but i can't find it now!

:)

Also there's a separate forum on here for burning man - www.couchsurfing.com
designbunny

Postby KMBlaze » Tue May 29, 2007 1:22 pm

I Think the ride share page is down. Is there another option?
KMBlaze

Postby emotion_sickness » Tue May 29, 2007 3:47 pm

i think i had said this earlier, but i cant remember so i'll say it now lol! i didn't want this camp to be an official "theme camp" since thats a ton of work for an inexperienced burner like myself to take on... Maybe next year I'll come back with a game plan, but since its my first year too i wanted to make sure i was free to experience Burning Man in my own way before getting tied to a theme camp. i just wanted to create a "virgin friendly" camp space, i guess partly to ease the stress or whatever of finding a spot and also to have other newbies to camp with. The best suggestion I was given was to arrive early and post my camp spot at Center camp, and mark off an area for others to camp in. Which is exactly what I'll do!

I've also been trying to get in touch with those folks who have shown interest in camping with me via PM, letting them know that I was aware of their interest and that I would keep in contact with them as the Burn draws nearer. If I havent done so already, PM me instead! There's nothing that says you cant take initiative either. I'm not a born leader, just a born socializer who's a bit anxious about coming down without my friends in tow!

So to sum up, its not an actual theme camp, just a bunch of newbies camping in the same general vicinity, making it easier to meet and hang out with each other, and make their own plans on how to contribute and experience the event. If I haven't PM'd you already, I will try tosoon! And if we dont get in touch before the Burn, just check out center camp when you get there for my post there and come find me! I'll be arriving as close to midnight Monday morning as the traffic will allow!
emotion_sickness

Postby emotion_sickness » Tue May 29, 2007 3:59 pm

Steven bradford wrote:Will there be a camp of Loaner Virgins too?

pinemom wrote:yeah, will we be able to Barter for Birgins?

you know, im sure we can work something out...have to check with the lawyers and see if thats allowed in the contract lol! i guess it all depends what you'll use them for!
emotion_sickness

Postby MikeVDS » Tue May 29, 2007 6:07 pm

Ok, sounds like you've got your stuff together. it wasn't so clear that you'd been communicating. Glad to hear you're taking the initiative, and it'll be more clear for the other who read this and want a nice place to hang out.
MikeVDS

Postby violentspecter » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:00 pm

if this is happening, count me in.
violentspecter

the joys of running a camp

Postby djzip13 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:19 pm

Yo emotion! Just a couple quick words on running a camp. As you will find out, posts can be sometimes critical or harsh just because some people find that funny. I say this as I don't want to be critical or scare you off, I just want to help set your expectations.

I've been running a theme camp for the past 5 years. It's a lot of work. It has been like a second job except with no monetary pay. It is worth every bit of energy as the joy I get from having other people enjoy the work.

Passing on the theme camp was a good idea. I don't honestly know if a virgin burner could appropiately plan for that. Again, I'm not being harsh, it is just a very tough project. After years of experience, I still learn tons every year on how to improve our camp.

As mentioned above, read http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/ first. And then read it again. It has evolved over the years to include so much valuable info. Next, try to get in touch with someone who has been there. Hell, send me a PM and we can exchange info. Nobody can type all the info you need. So whether you call me and we speak on the phone or you find someone in Montana who has been before(believe me, there are burners all around you, you just don't know it), talking to someone will be essential.

Personally, I always recommend virgins try to join a camp of people who have been before. That being said, I like your idea and having a bunch of virgins running around discovering things together. But whichever route is traveled, there is just so much info about keeping a camp "healthy" that can't be said via the internet.

So, best of luck on your burn. There are endless burners out there willing to lend a hand. Keep seeking out and your burn will be best!
djzip13

Postby harley1200 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:05 pm

The idea would be just do not make it official but "unofficial." Just whomever gets there first let the others know where you'll be and camp together that way. There's no rule the damn camps have to connect in order for people to camp "together." No need to make it hard
"Practice is the road on which we travel."
harley1200

Postby newtoburningman » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:59 pm

Any newbies live in the SF Bay Area? I've contemplated going on my own, but would feel more comfortable having folks to carpool and camp with. Anyone interested in meeting up beforehand to get to know each other? I've checked CL for folks wanting to get familiar with each other beforehand, but haven't seen any postings yet.
newtoburningman

Postby emotion_sickness » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:38 pm

howdy all...time for an update! To all those who were interested in this camp...I''ve asked the "Stag Camp" if we'd be welcome to join up with them since we have a similar ideas on what a camp should be...and sounds like there are some vets over there that we could benefit from their experiences. They have asked that if you're still interested to go here:

viewtopic.php?t=19875

read thru the post, check out their ideas and introduce yourselves! I think since the themes of our 2 camps are nearly identical this will work out for both parties! but of course it has to be up to you folks too, so send me your feedback and let me know if you want to keep our camp strictly virgins only or if you are down to join up with them!

Also, if I could get some shout outs from folks who are for sure camping with us one way or another...i know i've chatted with a few of you on Myspace...just so I have a better idea of what to be expecting.

It's getting exciting now...the end of August is so close I can almost taste the playa dust...that i...have..never...tasted before...ok so never mind that analogy ;) but I hope everyone's plans are going well!! Looking forward to seeing you all soon!
Why?
emotion_sickness

Postby Kers » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:59 pm

designbunny wrote: is it better to fly into LA & get the bus, or fly into Vegas & get the bus, or hire a car?

Don't know if anyone answered. BRC is FAR from LA & Vegas. Fly into Reno and get a car.
2000, 2001, 2003, 2007
Kers

Wow -- Virgins meet Stags

Postby SerendipitySuz » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:22 pm

You asked for a shout ... I signed up for the Stag camp before I saw yours: I'd rather be counted in your virgins group first. However, the experience of the stags is going to be great for us, so I vote for joining them. Thanks for working on behalf of such as I! :)
SerendipitySuz

overplanning is not your friend!

Postby anthroyogini » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:19 pm

last year was my first time at BM, and i was glad we didn't plan on meeting up with anyone and didn't make any plans beforehand. my boyfriend and i mostly spent the nights together, and the days individually. the first time you go, there is so much to see and explore, that i wouldn't have wanted to be tied down by any responsibilities to camp-mates or negotiations about what others (even the boyfriend) wanted to do. i rode around, spent a few hours here, a few hours there -- made lots of new friends, and was "adopted" by a couple of camps. when we met back up at night, we told each other about our daytime adventures -- this is a great way to save your relationship: don't be attached at the hip! and don't worry about who you will socialize with, it will not be a problem once you're there. seriously.

just bring your sense of humor and sense of adventure and you'll be fine! (and as the others said, lots of water, but not THAT much; the extra water weight wastes gas, after all)
anthroyogini

Previous

Return to 2007 Theme Camps