Positive Vibes about Great Playa Art and Acts

Positive Vibes about Great Playa Art and Acts

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:07 pm

I saw some incredible art out on the Playa this year. Let me congratulate the young man who placed the children's alphabet blocks on the Playa. I rode past them for two days with a "hmmm, that's nice" response, not really getting it. Then one night I happend to see a sofa just sittin' out there for no apparent reason. So I plopped down for a rest and lo, and behold, all those scattered blocks of different sizes lined up in perfect order, all the same exact apparent size and illumination to spell out a sentence. See, that's really great, that's really creative. That's why I go to Burning Man!

There's a lot more I could go on about, but its your turn! Say something positive about some great art, music, or random act of strangeness!
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby scootert » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:55 pm

Thanks for the invite to spread some good vibes and kudos, Teo!

Gotta say those monkeys (I know...apes) were really great. Inventive, interesting, intriguing, interactive and fun. Everybody was talking about that piece.

I really liked the green pine tree. Serene.

Big Rig Jig - what a feat!

Oh, and the remote-controlled metal balls. I really liked those. One gently crashed into our art car as we sat amazed.

Here's one you might have missed. The glittering Buddha sculpture on the Esplanade around 2:30 or so. When you touched his hands, the internal moving (apparently) lights became excited, based on the warmth of the touch, I believe.

Deep thanks to all the artists who put their heart, soul, time and money into making our burn more beautiful and interesting!
scootert

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:55 pm

Thanks Scooter for posting...I was begining to think we are an ungrateful lot.

well, I'll throw in another contribution to the positive vibe, Albino Band was a little slice of heaven.

Also, when my throat was parched and I was dying a slow death and wanting the taste of an ice cold beer (something I hardly drink on the Playa) a guy on an art car nudged me and handed me an ice cold unopened micro-brew beer!

I met a really cool lady at Disgraceland and had a wonderful time running around seeing the sights with her. That was awesome, too!

The Strobe-Monkeys blew me away too. I couldn't get enough of 'em it seemed.

Next....
Teo del Fuego

Postby FairyRebel » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:22 pm

I loved how every time I headed back to camp, there was always TRUTH on the horizon. That piece was so simple but my friends and I had a few good giggles because of it.

I also loved the Steampunk Treehouse. I can't even tell you how many times I stopped to marvel at that thing.

Oh man, and who can forget the Cubitron?

I can't even start on the people, I'd never stop typing. So many times the randomest simple gestures made me feel this unparalleled happiness...
I love trees so much, I only eat meat.
FairyRebel

Postby LilBuddha » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:10 pm

There was this big wacky dance dome out at 10:30 or so. And just beside it was this gorgeous little room with beautiful, complex paintings, and crazy complex designs on the walls, a little altar or lectern of some sort, all done in an extraordinarily complex brilliant design. Did you see it? Wasn't it amazing?
LilBuddha

Postby BigCock » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:11 am

found it!

Jewel*** hooked me up with the art snob tour Tuesday evening. We went around on Il Cavallo to all the large art pieces and the artists got on the mike to explain their pieces. Pretty cool. We saw The Garden of Eden
shown in the background to the left of TRUTH. It was impressive but little was said. Later I had the opportunity to be near it during a dust storm. The way it played in the wind was amazing, humming, sighing, creating dust "shadows", fading away and then re-emerging. Absolutely beautiful. I love pieces that take some discovery.

The eyes and mind open, the heart says "ahhh!".
BigCock

Re: Positive Vibes about Great Playa Art and Acts

Postby skygod » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:28 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote: Then one night I happend to see a sofa just sittin' out there for no apparent reason.

I know what you mean I found a lawn chair one night with a little desk/lamp art project out there and it was so sweet to lay back and watch the parade. There was a spot you could sit there and here a heartbeat.
The temple was so sweet this year.
The air raid siren that summoned us to the derrick explosion,
And sitting in the little tent next to hundreds of fluttering pinwheels,
the sweet chapatis from the toothless krishna it's all good.
The art has done it's work, now I have the rabbit I don't need the trap anymore till next year
Hope I can think of something to bring.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi
skygod

Postby onemandown » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:39 pm

Teo,

It brought a great smile to my face that you were tickled by Perspective (the alphabet blocks). We had a blast bringing that to the playa this year (it was our first playa instalation).

My favorite pieces included the orb swarm (I can't wait until they are autonomous), the Big Radial Cubatron (seriously inspiring in so many ways), Crude Awakening (hats off to Dan, Karen and the whole crew, those 2 mins of my life will stick with me forever), Opulent Temple's valiant attempt to errect that enormous bamboo structure (i rooted for it everytime i passed by), the sweet crashed space capsule, the step pyramid that burned on friday night, oh hell i was inspired everywhere i turned.

I also think its worth tipping our hats to all of the folks at the artery. Their tireless efforts enable so much of what makes its way to the playa.

Cheers all!
Trey
onemandown

Postby Teo del Fuego » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:21 pm

I think that may have been you I met out by the sofa. You explained that "where Are You?"-- the message on the blocks-- was a personal one to you....

Yeah, I really found Persepctive, particularly the way I accidentally discovered it...to be truly amazing. Its one of those things I tell my friends about when they ask me...well, how was it?

MONKEYS! Who the heck did the strobe light monkeys? THAT was freakin' amazing. Thanks for the great art!
Teo del Fuego

Postby misfit » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:49 pm

the "turet towers", these guys had us rolling in the white out by the man. "hi,,, fuck you, fuck you, god dammit,,, nice to meet you,,, god dammit, bitch, fuck you,,,". just two guys in card board towers running around swearing and bumping into each other....
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Samsa Bee » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:33 pm

The Shaman Shack.

It was near the Temple. Like a small teepee

Simple, small, perfect.

If you hot boxed it with some friends, it looked like a human sized lantern everytime the bic flicked.. It was like we took the piece to its next level, just because we needed a place to smoke. I have never been so moved by an art pieceout there, so personalized...It made the 4 of us giggle the rest of the week, and no it wasnt what we were smoking either.
~8~ buzzzzzzzzzz
Samsa Bee

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:43 pm

onemandown wrote:Teo,

It brought a great smile to my face that you were tickled by Perspective (the alphabet blocks). We had a blast bringing that to the playa this year (it was our first playa instalation).

My favorite pieces included the orb swarm (I can't wait until they are autonomous), the Big Radial Cubatron (seriously inspiring in so many ways), Crude Awakening (hats off to Dan, Karen and the whole crew, those 2 mins of my life will stick with me forever), Opulent Temple's valiant attempt to errect that enormous bamboo structure (i rooted for it everytime i passed by), the sweet crashed space capsule, the step pyramid that burned on friday night, oh hell i was inspired everywhere i turned.

I also think its worth tipping our hats to all of the folks at the artery. Their tireless efforts enable so much of what makes its way to the playa.

Cheers all!
Trey

Thanks, OMD. We had a blast building the space capsule (U-Me) and I was honored by your mention. I also loved your blocks and they appeared to have tumbled through the atmosphere from the fumbling hands of a giant space baby. Cheers to you.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

found new fave psytrance dj on japanese art car. who was it?

Postby nigeltufnel » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:51 am

my favorite psytrance of the weekend came from this japanese-teahouse-lookin audio art car at 4:30 am the morning after the burn. it had a lot of cds strung up in mesh on the outside of it. my crew were biking just 8 o'clock side of the (smoldering) man when we stumbled onto it. we ended up parking and boogying there till well after sunise cuz of how sick the tracks were.

the first dj (my favorite) came over and introduced himself as "fumi" or "tumi" or something similar. he didn't speak much english. i've found "satoshi fumi" listed online, but the stuff is ambient and i don't think it's the right guy. we asked the next dj what the name of the mutant vehicle or their camp was, but didn't get any clear answer - these guys really weren't understanding much of the english. but they knew how to shred with the psytrance.

look familiar to anybody? i'd love to track these guys down!

this post is a dupe from another thread, but seems relevant here too :wink:
nigeltufnel

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:09 pm

sorta amazes me that topics centered around bitchin' and arguing get so much more attention than positive topics trying to give kudos to those of us who make the experience so worth while. the negativity seems particularly nasty this year.

Okay: to the folks at Pigmalion who served up bacon and the best bloody marys I have ever had in my life. Thank you! I fell in love with your hospitality (and the redheaded woman in the cowboy hat behind the bar.)

To the fellow who stopped by my tiki bar just to give me a real tiki mug, THANKS. Man, I tried to find you later on but couldnt!

To the couple who took an instamatic shot of some breast-sucking action and left it at our bar, Thank you??

To "Billy" for loaning us 5 bags of ice for our party, THANKS!

To the guy who built a bicycle with a roll cage and who slammed on his front brakes to show me how he could do a somersault on his bike and keep riding, WOW!
Teo del Fuego

Postby bigbluedoggy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:33 pm

Thanks for this great thread Teo! I am glad that not all of eplaya is tied up with snarky threads relating to whatsisname. I thought the Strobing Monkey piece was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I loved the view from the top of Crude Awakening, both day and night. SteamPunk TreeHouse was very cool! I saw so many cool vehicles and things that made me go wow that I am drawing a blank on any more specific examples at the moment. The Perspective blocks in the deep playa were incredibly cool... how often did they rotate them to change the words? The Temple was spectacular... makes me want my own CNC machine! Anyway... it was all so much fun! Thanks to all the great artists and others who make BM what it is! (We are all artists really.)

Doggy
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:23 am

you're welcome Big Blue, thanks for posting!

I spoke with the Perspective Artist and he said the blocks were rotated three times to spell three diferent sentences.

The Strobe Monkeys were astounding, yet, I've heard very little about them and the artist. Anyone with info?
Teo del Fuego

Postby bigbluedoggy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:36 am

Strobe Monkeys is actually:

Homouroboros
by Peter Hudson
Peter Hudson's new zoetrope idly slumbers until participants discover the keys to its power generation and activation.

http://www.hudzo.com/homouroboros

From the BM Honorarium Art Installations page.
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:46 am

Peter Hudson's audio interview on Burncast is one of my all time fave's. Dig it at http://tanjabarnes.com/mac/BURNcast/Pod ... CBBCF.html
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby BigCock » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:26 am

BigCock

Postby duke of weimar » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:30 am

OMD, i need to throw my two cents in for the PERSPECTIVE blocks. They were so simple, but so awesome when you found just the spot to view them. I found myslef gravitating by there daily to see what the new message would be for the day. Only problem with that was, later in the week it became more and more difficult to attain the seat for the optimal view. Thanks again - incredilbe first playa piece!!!
duke of weimar

Return to 2007 Art & Performance