Corporate vs. The Playatariat (tm)

Corporate vs. The Playatariat (tm)

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:24 am

we crossed the rubicon a number of years ago, but now it is even more apparent that the playa is no longer a level playing field.

is corporate sponsorship the way of the future? are we already there? is it a bad thing? are there any ways to clean the hippies on a regular basis?
and most importantly, when is burning man going public, i want IN on some of that action.

is this sarcasm or not?

and lastly, if the corporations do participate, who decides which ones, to what extent, and can we as a burner nation vote or provide input to this process?
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby ScottV » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:25 pm

It was a pretty good joke.
I chuckle inside every time I put the two words together
Burningman
Green

Great stuff that they got some corporate sponsor to fall for it.

Put on a serious face when you tell the muggles that burningman is an Arts Festival with a Social Conscious.
If they figure out we're laughing behind their back they'll shut us down for sure.
ScottV

too late...

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:51 pm

i have this same feeling that just as every schmoe in america can buy top-siders and madras shorts from sprawl-mart, and think they are from the same rarified air as the "classic preppie", very soon, VERY SOON, BurningMan 2.0 beta with google sidebar will be available to the Fringe Element Mainstream, and Beyond...my god, just look at orlando, do you really want bruno to be a new Icon? What will the Taxidermist's do?

and god forbid that Planet X take credit cards....

Alternative Music covers every fucking genre possible, and i saw enough Free Range Tofu out there to make me puke.

i guess what i'm saying is, in the new burning man, you probably wont risk dying, unless you do it to yourself....

camp comfort and joy....now THAT'S FUCKING FUNNY.

i need that rusty serrated edge....i need that dusty fear of maybe you'll be ok, maybe you wont....it's really up to you....where is the radical self reliance if you have a fucking chef...

and to make it perfectly clear, we did have a chef, private toidy's and showers...the Patron is a really Good Man...i respect him enormously, he plunked down millions, so that everyone else could have fun....we cleaned up after your asses too.

i personally spent 4 fucking days without sleep upholstering the fuck dome myself.

but even as i was enjoying the comfort, and the joy of everyday life, i felt there was a void.......

maybe what that person who hung himself felt...

an emptiness in the bounty before me.

how often is the case, that when a society has everything it needs or wants, thats when it goes to shit...

i'd rather see a lean, mean, hungry man next year....
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Return to 2007 Art & Performance