What was your favorite Mutant Vehicle this year

What was your favorite Mutant Vehicle this year

Postby Megaflow » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:09 pm

What was your favorite Mutant Vehicle this year. There were so many this year. Some great, others were pretty weak.
Megaflow

Postby dinks » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm

The giant cat with the paws was one of my favorites.
dinks

Postby scootert » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:35 pm

I liked this little electric Asian teahouse with bench seats in the back. But then again, it was my car! I hope some of you saw it before it broke down on Saturday. Lots of people thought it was very sweet and romantic. It was kind of a chill thing - not a dancing/party car (too short to stand up in).

Lots of great cars - I really liked the giant iceberg. And I saw a couple of other cool cars with a Japanese motif. We partied by one of them for while. Can't wait to see pictures!

Scott
scootert

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:04 pm

being a trike person, i did not see where DMV was located.. could have stayed in one place and seen all the GREAT wheels..
unjonharley

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:22 pm

I'm not sure if it was an actual mutant vehicle, but I was walking across the playa about 3am one morning with some friends complaining about all the techno party-barges & saying how much I wished I could come up with a way to do a roving jazz club when one of them nudges me.
"Do you hear that?"
I listen, and hear Dinah Washington crooning through the darkness. Soon what looks like a DPW van, all black and Mad Max-ish, comes rolling by playing the jazz I wanted to hear.

Favorite mutant vehicle moment ever.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby yojessimac » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:13 pm

I had three favorites this year...

1. the elephant with the flames out the trunk and the cages hanging from the ears; had the comfiest seats (loves sacks baby), and amazing music to dance for 5 hours too!

2. the trippy black light butterfly with the mushrooms and emerald patches all over it..truly mezmerizing each of the 3 nights I saw it

3. and of course the giant gold "puff the magic" dragon...also my favorite from last year

4. OK 4 ;) Dematerial put together a miraculous butterfy with amazing wings and spectacular hand cut glass mosaic eyes...wish I could have seen it in its full fluttering glory.

You ALL did such a beautiful job!
yojessimac

Burning Since: 2014

Postby DoriumLux » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:06 pm

The Rhino, Dino, and Giraffe!
DoriumLux

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:31 am

Sandcrawler
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:24 am

Camilla, the Asian Teahouse, lit up in blues and greens was not the biggest, brightest or most awseome, but it had exactly the right aesthetics to rock my night-time world
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby jburn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:12 pm

I'll go with the Velo Disco - the one powered by 5 bicyclists and solar for sound and lights. I could be a little biased since I helped build it ;) We had 29 people on the damn thing and pedaling was fine. Who knew?

Art car builders - dump your generators and motors and get GREEN for next year!

justin jburn
jburn

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:49 pm

jburn wrote:I'll go with the Velo Disco - the one powered by 5 bicyclists and solar for sound and lights. I could be a little biased since I helped build it ;) We had 29 people on the damn thing and pedaling was fine. Who knew?

Art car builders - dump your generators and motors and get GREEN for next year!

justin jburn

\/
my butt is black and blue from peddleing.. I already have a new lighter frame and will add a small electric assist..
unjonharley

favorites

Postby zont » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:08 pm

I'd have to say Acavallo was pretty bad ass. Aside from the insane carousel horses, there was just something surreal about the way the car/ship floated down the playa with its shooting flames and ghostly flags. I watched the man burn from this car and the guy playing guitar (with a violin bow) in synch with the burn really heightened the experience. Thanks!!

And of course there's my favorite from last year, Neverwas Haul. Despite my endless hunt for this car/house, I was unable to track it down this year. :cry:
zont

Re: favorites

Postby Dork » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:24 pm

zont wrote:And of course there's my favorite from last year, Neverwas Haul. Despite my endless hunt for this car/house, I was unable to track it down this year. :cry:

I saw it once this year, parked. Never did see it moving.

There were a couple of small ones I liked and hadn't seen before - a small flying saucer and a motorcycle-based scorpion.
Dork

Postby --Ever-- » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:42 pm

The neon-red Rhino and the Briar Rabbit-esque house thing. I'll post some pics in a bit!
Our truest life is in our dreams awake.
--Ever--

Velo Disco

Postby Cody Wyoming » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:56 pm

The Velo Disco rocked. Pedal powered, no holds barred, any body who wanted to could get on. I never saw anyone denied a ride on the thing. In fact just about everybody who rode on it asked if they could pedal. The tunes pumped, the drinks flowed and the ride was playa-riffic! The thing spent about as much time moving as it did getting interviewed by everybody who saw it?
Cody Wyoming

ABRAXIS the DRAGONMUFFIN

Postby thirt33n » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:16 pm

Dragon. Dope. Dopest parties and it had quite a personality.
So many great mutants but the Dragonmuffin was my favorite.
blow.
thirt33n

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:21 pm

LeChat's "Contraption".
This was no decorated truck or golf cart with fur and canvas on it.
It had a completely custom-engineered pump drive, all sorts of nice metal work, and there wasn't anywhere on it that was ugly, it was all art top to bottom with nothing swept under the rug and hidden behind lights and tarps.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby thirt33n » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:17 am

wait...sounds are many times forgotten off playa.
I think in more than just the sound category the big Steam Train was AWESOME.
blow.
thirt33n

Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:25 am

The Spider.

Kernul Killbuck's "Roamin'Off".
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby scootert » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:08 pm

Thanks, Teo!

Kamila was our car. I guess that was you I was meeting and I didn't even know it at the time. That's kind of funny because I had thought you would be a good person to know because I've appreciated your friendly, funny and knowledgeable posts on eplaya. I'm truly honored. Sent you a private message also...

Thanks again!

At sunrise on Sunday by the Temple I saw a huge, elevated, pedal-powered canoe. It's amazing what people can do with muscle-power. And I was also very happy to see Le Chat Noir's contraption. It's true that it was stylish and authentic in every way. Loved the seat and also the flywheel cover.

Scott[/img]
scootert

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:35 pm

Wow, how could I forget La Chat's Contraption after "helping" unload it off its trailer. (I had thrown my back out loading up for Burning Man so I basically watched it being off-loaded. ) But I was mightly impressed by the design and also by his committment to authentic period parts.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby oleg8888 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:38 pm

Toxic Rose
We put so much love, blood and sweat in to it....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0918&hl=en
oleg8888

Postby waterlyric » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:12 pm

Since it was my first time I was blown away by practically everything, but I really liked a couple of the smaller things best. The glowing eyeballs were great, and one afternoon we saw a guy just riding around on a motorized loveseat. Now THAT was ingenius! Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to ride on anything this year. I will hope for next time!
=waterlyric=
waterlyric

motorized loveseat

Postby sweetcj » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:28 pm

was it a little green one? that is my friends' piece! unfortunately it broke down on the other side of the playa. boo. :( glad you got a chance to see it though.
sweetcj

Postby The CO » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:55 pm

Add my vote to Le Chat's Contraption. Bar none the greenest vehicle out there. And a great way to make friends, as you need four strong backs to power it.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby karine » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:35 pm

(((and some DPW to drive it every once in a while doesn't hurt, either!)))

The Contraption!
karine

Postby jobi » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:59 pm

My favorite would probably be the 12-member board meeting that I saw on Wednesday or Thursday evening.
jobi

Postby fierysage » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:16 pm

i LOVED the dead cow! it was original, quirky and freakin' hilarious!
had taken a picture, but the dust storm showed up next and got to my film camera...

anyone have a pic of the dead cow art car?
fierysage

Postby Kinetik V » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:31 pm

The Victorian style house on wheels, whatever the name of it. Simply the best art vehicle I've seen in 6 years on the playa, period.
The blacklight giant movable butterfly
LeChat's Contraption....which is inspiring me to build an art car myself for next year for the first time
The simple but cool giant boombox
Also there was this small "flying saucer" on wheels that was on the East side of the temple burn Sunday night....
Apokiliptika's art car....whatever the name, it was pretty sick

There was also a giant bus with a dance floor on top and a huge rocket engine thing on the back that was parked at the entrance to the keyhole late Fri night / early Saturday morning. The bus reminded me of an RTD bus like you see in Denver....it was just so massive that it inspired awe.

And last...there was a pair of small spaceships that had dual lighted engine pods on the back...they made me deeply regret losing my camera this year.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:38 pm

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:The Spider.

I almost forgot that one! Simply brilliant. We wandering on Weds (?) night & saw it moving up the 3 o'clock road towards the Pavillion. We had to run over & check it out. On of the most clever vehicles I've seen in a while.

Hmmm.
Seems like Weds was my night for cool art cars.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Next

Return to 2007 Art & Performance