Homebrew Tasting

Homebrew Tasting

Postby revjim » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:39 pm

On Wednesday evening, Skinny Kitty Teahouse is hosting a gathering of brewers and vintners. Bring samples of your libations to share with others. There will be beer, wine, mead and cider. If you fermented something else to drink, bring it. No cans of crap with cute labels,please
revjim

Home brew

Postby clairedad » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:19 pm

I'm not a brewer, but I had some of the most delicious home brew out there last year. Can I come and taste, even if I have nothing to contribute?

--CC
clairedad

Postby MikeVDS » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:34 pm

Mmm. Rye beer.
MikeVDS

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby revjim » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:35 pm

Don't show up if you haven't made your own alcohol. Brewing beer can be as easy as pouring water in a bag. It may not be as good as my 11 year old barleywine, but it will have more flavour than Amerikan Lite and less bubbles.
revjim

Re: Homebrew Tasting

Postby The Hosh » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:12 pm

revjim wrote:On Wednesday evening, Skinny Kitty Teahouse is hosting a gathering of brewers and vintners. Bring samples of your libations to share with others. There will be beer, wine, mead and cider. If you fermented something else to drink, bring it. No cans of crap with cute labels,please

I'd love to bring some of my fireweed mead, but I doubt they'd let me cross the border with it.

:(
The Hosh

Postby fatcog » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:22 am

I'll bring a few bottles of our homebrewed Pliny the elder IPA!
fatcog

Postby skibear » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:31 pm

In 2005 someone served great homebrew beer in kegs out of a coffin.
Somewhere near 5:00 and Catharsis "C"
skibear

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Marscrumbs » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:49 pm

And I thought Skinny Kitty was just a teahouse. I'm from Wishing Star and was across the street from you last year.

Kind of short notice to ferment something new and make it good. What ever happend to Absinthe camps? Wanted to bring them a bottle this year but it looks like they folded in '05.

I could be talked into bringing my small 3L still, if anybody want to try turning a little ferment into a sampler of hard jungle juice.

Marscrumbs
Marscrumbs

Postby revjim » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:51 pm

The homebrew from the coffin was mostly made by God, with a few beers from his campmates. Definately good beer. I hope to talk to God before the tasting.

I will have a dozen different beers and some meads, including one made with 1/3 Agave.

Skinny Kitty will be on the 4:30 plaza.

Bring your own glass.
revjim

Sour experience with Skinny Kitty

Postby jyesika » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:40 am

This is the first year I've had any sort of serious breach of neighborly etiquette with a camp. The perps: Skinny Kitty Teahouse. Invited by one of their members to ride an art car to watch the oil rig burn, we arrived early and helped load a piano onto the car. We asked both the driver and some other organizer if it was OK to be there. We were first on. A good half an hour later, some late members or friends of the camp arrived and instead of booting the latecomers some hippy hag came over to me and said she didn't recognize me so we needed to get off. I protested, told her of our prearranged checks and attempts to be rational and pleasant. She was joined by some other belligerent toe rag and we got into a rather curt shouting match about "private parties".
I protested, not only because we had been invited, confirmed our invitation and helped with the preparations, but also because a "private art car" is very much at odds with the community of burning man. I think it is also at odds with the licensure agreement. Some neighbors later told me that they had been walking next to the skinny kitty art car (the next day!) and overheard others rudely being banished in a similar way.
I understand limitations of art cars, and obviously it's fun to organize camp parties. We weren't demanding booze or anything unreasonable. The skinny kitty camp people really soured my experience.
jyesika

Postby Bin Noddin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:25 am

We got the message the first time, Sika. No need to flood the board.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby goathead » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:24 pm

The homebrew from the coffin was mostly made by God, with a few beers from his campmates. Definately good beer. I hope to talk to God before the tasting.

Hi Rev
Wish I would have found this thead earlier. I camp with Gawd and Country, I think we poured appx 200 gals of home brew all total this year. With Gawd of course being the master brewer and 6 lowly disiples also helping out with goodies to serve throught the casket. Will have to make it a point to visit with you next year.
Brew On

:D
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:48 pm

It was great beer! Great cider! Awesome! Thanks God and minion!
chiefdanfox

Postby goathead » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:32 pm

It was great beer! Great cider! Awesome! Thanks God and minion!

Minion, yep I can be that.
Already thinking about brews for next year.
goathead

Postby fancy1 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:41 pm

I was gifted a bottle of "Mexican" homebrew this year, and damned if I can remember the brewers name.... sorry. But, it was a great bottle, none the less.
We were at 7 & arctic, the LAFers camp, and you rode by with cooler in tow. Many thanks for a wonderful brew. Keep up the good brew!

Fancy
"the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"
fancy1

Postby revjim » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:54 pm

Thanks to everyone who brought mead, wine, beer and brandy that they made. The Zymurgist Flocculation was a flavourful event to be repeated.
Thanks to the Pizza Sluts for some well timed sustanence.
With Above the Limit 2 blocks from Skinny Kitty Teahouse in one direction, and Gawd's coffin two blocks in another, our neighborhood had over 400 gallons of good beer flowing. I appreciated the beer brewed on the Playa and the double IPAs
The homebrew had nothing to do with Leticia, the "exclusive" Love Bubble or that Skinny Kitty was to fat for her.
revjim

Postby goathead » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:50 pm

With Above the Limit 2 blocks from Skinny Kitty Teahouse in one direction, and Gawd's coffin two blocks in another, our neighborhood had over 400 gallons of good beer flowing.

LOL, that could explain a lot of things. It was a very fun year.

I appreciated the beer brewed on the Playa

That was really fun also.
goathead

Postby Das Bus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:50 pm

Hey GoatHead!

I LOVE my glass! THANK YOU!!!!

I stopped by one afternoon and Mona shared some of your special purple berry stuff. Now, my beer tastes are very low-brow, but, DAMN! That was some good shit! : )

It was great seeing you guys this year, wish I got out more. It was alot easier last year when you were right across the street. : )
Medicated and Motivated!
Das Bus

Postby goathead » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:56 pm

Hi Das

Hope you put the glass to good use. They where a lot of fun to make.
We will get you drinking good beer yet!!!!
It did seem a little strange being back out in the old hood again.
So did Gordie lose any Russians this year?
Any new playa tales?
goathead

Postby Das Bus » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:04 am

The Russians didn't show this year, damn commies! Hope they come out for next years' theme! LOL!

There IS a tale of me, Gordy, a 4 story scaffolding and a surprised Spider Man on Burn night...
Medicated and Motivated!
Das Bus

Postby goathead » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:16 am

There IS a tale of me, Gordy, a 4 story scaffolding and a surprised Spider Man on Burn night...

Ok, I am sitting down, waiting patiently. This should be a good one.
goathead

Re: Sour experience with Skinny Kitty

Postby Wrath7sins » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:54 pm

jyesika wrote:A good half an hour later, some late members or friends of the camp arrived and instead of booting the latecomers some hippy hag came over to me and said she didn't recognize me so we needed to get off. I protested, told her of our prearranged checks and attempts to be rational and pleasant. She was joined by some other belligerent toe rag and we got into a rather curt shouting match about "private parties".
I protested, not only because we had been invited, confirmed our invitation and helped with the preparations, but also because a "private art car" is very much at odds with the community of burning man. I think it is also at odds with the licensure agreement.

It is, and you just described to the T something that happened to me on burn night '05. Kicked off and told it was a "private party" in a curt and rude manner. Sorry, but ain't NOTHIN private on the playa, and even having an art car out there means agreeing that it is a public conveyance. I for one will be checking permit numbers of vehicles displaying this behavior. As an artcar builder-operator myself, I'm quite familiar with the policies. Any further discussion on this should be in a seperate thread though. Don't wanna hijack this one.

Now, back to homebrew discussion! =)
*poke* is it flammable?
Wrath7sins

Postby Das Bus » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:12 pm

goathead wrote:

Ok, I am sitting down, waiting patiently. This should be a good one.

Well, I'm not too fond of heights, and I don't like climbing ladders, so when we came up the scaffolding structure near the Esplanade, Gordy started teasing me and started scampering up. I followed, one story at a time. It took me forever, but I made it to the top. The view was awesome!

Since Gordy teased me all the way up, I told him his punishment was to take off all his clothes and be my love slave. (Gordy is NOT one to do anything in public) So I had my way with him above the city, and just as we were 'done', up pops this guy on the scaffolding wearing a Spiderman mask! I put my hands on my hips and stuck my breasts out and said, "Hey Spidey, wanna have some fun?".

I don't know if he climbed down or fell all the way down, but that dude was gone in a flash! LOL! You'd think he'd never seen naked old people before!
Medicated and Motivated!
Das Bus

Postby Wrath7sins » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:02 am

I love this story! *laughing tears* :lol:
*poke* is it flammable?
Wrath7sins

Postby goathead » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:09 am

:lol:

Sometimes you girls just have to much fun.
At least you didn't break him.

:lol:
goathead

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:07 am

bump

Mostly because I'm tired of seeing the comfort and joy thread...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby skeetsh00ter » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:27 pm

Is Skinny Kitty gonna be around again this year (sorry, too lazy to navigate to another page to check) and if so will there be a homebrew tasting going on? A few months ago I had plans to bring out 20 or 30 gallons of homebrew, but alas I had a dome and tall bike to finish and [accidentally] drank my last good 10 gallons of homebrew.

Still have a couple of gallons that I might bottle up, depends on if the absurd grassy taste from dry hopping for too long has mellowed out yet. I'd hate to serve something i don't even like to drink.
skeetsh00ter

Return to 2007 Art & Performance