Stages/Camps playing Minimal, Techno, and Deep Electro?

Stages/Camps playing Minimal, Techno, and Deep Electro?

Postby Oliver Nickels » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:52 pm

Calling all soundsystems!

I want to hear some mindblowing music this year! Whos got it! ;) Minimal, Techno, Acid, forward-thinking Electro music beyond a buzzy bassline! :D

Oliver
Oliver Nickels

Postby Windowlicker » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:09 pm

Midwest Mayhem will be rocking the Playa with a plethora of styles from electro to Acid/Trance live PA. Come check it!!
Love, Dance, Trance
Windowlicker

Re: Stages/Camps playing Minimal, Techno, and Deep Electro?

Postby [CDS] topher » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:56 am

[quote="Oliver Nickels"]Calling all soundsystems!

I want to hear some mindblowing music this year! Whos got it! ;) Minimal, Techno, Acid, forward-thinking Electro music beyond a buzzy bassline! :D

Oliver[/quote]

Burningman is not a rave or nightclub, even though you may find both there.
---
] Camp Cul-de-Sac
] Building Community Since 1997
[CDS] topher

Postby theisness » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:00 pm

[quote="[CDS] topher"][quote="Oliver Nickels"]Calling all soundsystems!

Oliver[/quote]

Burningman is not a rave or nightclub, even though you may find both there.[/quote]

For me burningman is anything my heart desires. Sometimes that includes a rave/club, whatever the moment calls for. It shall always be much much more than any of that of course. A community for radical self-reliance without really dope techno (or good music in general) would be sadly lacking, imho. I'm all for mindblowing ground shaking techno ala Speedy J, Surgeon, Ben Sims, Steve Rachmad, Robert Hood, UR, Ortin Cam, etc.

All Oliver is saying is he wants REAL techno on the playa...why is that a reason to scoff at him and lecture him about bm not being a rave? :roll: (there's nothing wrong with raves anyway, imo, but that's a another issue)
I thought it's not cool to mess with other people's burn.
"Wishes are recollections from the future."-Rainer Maria Rilke
theisness

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:12 pm

I listen to that kind of music (and many others) at varying volume levels at home. That doesn't mean I live at a rave or inside a nightclub.

Responding to the original poster's question.... have no fear, there are going to be dozens of places to get your fix. I can think of 2-3 places on the 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock spikes of the city map offhand that will be serving up those specific genres, and I'm sure you can easily find more of whatever you're looking for. Check the list of registered theme camps for names of camps focusing on music, and once you arrive on the playa spend a little time walking up/down the 2/10 streets as well as the esplanade. If the music you're hearing at that particular moment doesn't suit you, no worries. Keep moving, you'll find what you like. And check back, the genres can change with each DJ (not all camps are focused on a single sub-genre of electronic dance music).

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby mo_corleone » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:28 pm

theisness wrote:For me burningman is anything my heart desires.

nice :) and if your eplaya handle is a reference to amorphous androgynous, we're going to get along even better.

and oliver, you won't have any trouble finding that kind of music out on the playa. Want It will definitely be featuring all of the above, but we're not mapped so you'll just have to follow the beats up 9:30...
~ erratically self-sufficient ~
mo_corleone

saphire portal wednesday night

Postby justin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:52 pm

look for the saphire portal, deep playa, on wednessday night. its a sculpture/sound space and they'll be a party out there on its opening night. wolf+lamb from nyc and others will be killing it dead with that minimal sound I know you love. come find us and we'll let you know whats up for the rest of the week. I'm camping with their crew @ 3&G. They'll be bouncing around someplace new everynight. Shoot me back with anything you've come up with on the minimal tech tip. I know how hard it is to find the good stuff out there. Oh yea, they'll also be at the Imagenode @ 8 & esplinade on friday.
justin

-->

Postby [CDS] topher » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:06 pm

[quote="trilobyte"]I listen to that kind of music (and many others) at varying volume levels at home. That doesn't mean I live at a rave or inside a nightclub.[/quote]

DItto.

In the more than a decade of heading out to the playa, alone and curious that first year until grizzled vet with battle scars now, I've seen the event change dramatically (and change isn't necessarily bad at all!).

One of those ways is that what used to be a collection of weirdos, freaks, desert rats, survivalists, jimmy buffet imitators, artists, musicians, millionaires, fabricators, misfits, druggies, hackers, etc. became somehing slightly, but importantly different: the same group, but dominated by blacklight-fluorescent raver types who can't seem to understand why so many of the old folks (i.e., people in their 30's, or, (GASP!), older!) are a little annoyed at having had the event turned into a nonstop, unavoidable rave.

The attempts to move the "loud" camps to specific areas have been, in my experience and that of most people in my camp and that I talk to, a complete failure. It's not that I, or they want quiet - we LIKE noise! - but the constant electronica blaring from vehicles driving by us at 4am and the lack of understanding on the part of many of this younger group grates heavily on many of our nerves....and yet we can't change their behavior. We can't/won't yell at them, because it's not constructive. We can't try to move them to one "loud" end of camp, because experiece has shown it to be ineffective. We can't try and reorient them, pointing them toward other aspects of what the event could be for them, because they've already DECIDED what it is for them, dragging many of the rest of us along with them, willing or not.

THAT'S why my original post was justified, and I stand by it.
---
] Camp Cul-de-Sac
] Building Community Since 1997
[CDS] topher

Re: -->

Postby theisness » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:05 am

"dominated by blacklight-fluorescent raver types who can't seem to understand why so many of the old folks (i.e., people in their 30's, or, (GASP!), older!) are a little annoyed at having had the event turned into a nonstop, unavoidable rave."

" but the constant electronica blaring from vehicles driving by us at 4am and the lack of understanding on the part of many of this younger group grates heavily on many of our nerves....and yet we can't change their behavior."

Hmm, I understand your point. But my wife and I are older burners ourselves and we love techno!(i think we will love dancing to amplified beats when we're 60 yrs old! lol) But we also love jazz, rock, folk, ambient sounds, theater, and poetry on playa too. And we like getting away from the loud beats and exploring the playa, interacting with the awesome art and just enjoying the beauty and magic of the desert. Saying that the raver types just want to turn BM into a big, nonstop, blacklight rave is a generalization and an unfair stereotype. I like peace & quiet too.

All that being said I do see your point. Everyone's experience at BM should be respected. I thought isolating the sound camps was a good attempt at addressing this problem and I remember having to travel farther than usual to find some beats last year but then again I'm not looking at it from your perspective. But what really can be done about people having diff interests at BM? There will always be differences but I think what makes BM great is that people accept each others views, interests, etc whether they agree with them or not.
"Wishes are recollections from the future."-Rainer Maria Rilke
theisness

Return to 2007 Art & Performance