Need Programmer for a Digital Art Project !!! Please Help!!

Would you like to see your face on "Photosynthesis - The Faces of Burning Man"?

Total votes : 6

Need Programmer for a Digital Art Project !!! Please Help!!

Postby zinchiang » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:38 am

Hi !! I want to do an art project for 2007 called "Photosynthesis - The Faces of Burning Man".
The concept is to set up a digital photo booth powered by an old G4 tower, a webcam, internet connection, and possibly projection device.
Anyone can walk up to the booth, snap a photo of their faces, and their portrait would be immediately gridded onto a virtual canvas.
The Face Collage would ideally be projected onto our camp dome (TRSMRPHGN) and/or gridded onto a webpage automatically.
The problem is. I don't know how to write that program.
Would someone like to join me??

Postby The Chinese » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:23 am

Yo Z-

One issue:

No Internet at the playa. I could rig a small local network in camp, not that hard, but that would also mean 2 computers... One has to serve the website, one to enter the info. Better off to figure something using just the one computer....

But yeah this is a cool idea. I know right off the top of my head that we could easily use iPhoto and create a slideshow... Then I *think* it's relatively simple to write an apple script that will automatically upload new images into it.

The Biggest Distraction... Funk On the Playa, Live uncut Funk, TheBomb, Comin at you from the Transmorphogon, 500 Kilowatts of Pure Funk Power. You Will be groovin'. So when yer sick of the Boomp Boomp of the Burn, come down to the T-Dome and Learn....
The Chinese

Postby Brendan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:46 am

I was thinkin; about doing a very similar project, with a photo booth but without the internet fancifullness :) , i've kinda changed mind whereby I plan to rig a camera to a bike/trike, let people wonder places snapin' as many shots as they feel and passin' the bike along, finally coming back to the irish bar at the end.

its my first year to burning man but will be accompanied by many an old timer-im assuming its gonna be a festival of love for anything artsy, cooperation? not, uh where that bike go, the one with the camera... :)?

Postby rich_d_rich » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:52 am

Some laptops - like my work one, drive two independent screens. So you can have use the laptop screen for control and do other stuff on the projector.

Or you can get multi-output cards quite cheaply (not sure on macs though, but loads of designers have dual screens so it must be possible).

Return to 2007 Art & Performance