:: looking to DJ ::

:: looking to DJ ::

Postby malarkey » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:20 pm

Wanted to throw it out there to the rest of the BM world... I'm looking to DJ more this year and would love to bring my sub-woofer boogie to your camp.

I've been burning since 1999 and have camped / DJ'ed for an array of theme camps, villages and art cars.

past includes:
Enthion Village
Skinny Kitty
Emperion Crusier
The State Capitol
The Global Warmer

I play a style of electronic music coined as nu-school funk... big break beat drum patterns, driven by classic funk basslines and showered with horn stabs & hip-hop samples. Can you say FUNK?

If your looking to fill some slots lemme know. You can listen @...

www.cdbaby.com/djmalarkey

cheers to you all and see on playa

e-mail: malarkey@optimisticmusic.com[/i][/b]
malarkey

Tables or CDs?

Postby djdentn » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:00 pm

Hey Malarkey...

I'm going to setup a dj booth this year (my first) and wanted to find out from an experienced dj....what's best in the desert?? How does vinyl and techs do in the dust and sun..

Dentn
djdentn

Postby malarkey » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:33 pm

I did vinyl for years and it's just not worth it anymore. CD's are the way to go up there... they don't skip as easy, don't get as dirty and they're not as heavy (this is a big one sometimes).

As far as electronics, bring lots of compressed air... get it at any office supply store. Try to keep connections / connector points... "CP's" clean as possible and out of the suns / dusts way.

When performing you can wrap material around CP's, speakers and electronics to prevent dust from entering. But no matter how much you try to prevent the dust, it will find it's way in so be diligent with your compressed air multiple times a day / night.

Once that dust gets into you electronics, it will alkalize to the circuitry fast, so again take precautions and be diligent with compressed air.

And maybe the best advice I can give you... use gear you really don't give a shit about, has been to BRC before or cost beans !

cheers
malarkey

Dust and Sun

Postby djdentn » Fri May 04, 2007 9:33 pm

Thank You!! I'll stock up on the air, bring some cheaper tables than my tech 12s and figure out a way to dustproof a 10x15 area. I'm buying a smaller step truck and fixing it up just for that purpose. It will serve as my booth / daytime locker ; )

Thank you for the advice, good luck this year and hopefully we'll meet on playa. Looks like I'll be camping w/ Arrakis this year.

Dentn
djdentn

Postby trilobyte » Wed May 16, 2007 9:20 am

If you haven't already, you may want to post in the 'Artists Seeking Stages' thread.

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to 2007 Art & Performance