bike riding on the play, outside of the event

bike riding on the play, outside of the event

Postby joemomma » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:29 pm

HI, first timer here, Are you allowed to go for a bike ride outside of the event area? I was thinking of taking a short ride, as far away as possible, to experience what is like to be alone out there. Can one get that far away without riding a great distance?
Joemomma
joemomma

Postby hsdavis » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:49 pm

I believe that there is 7 square miles of playa to ride your bike in. It is not allowed for you to go beyond the orange fence, since that is the boundry agreed upon with BMORG and BLM. Also, they protect the boundries so people don't sneak in the back way.
hsdavis

Postby Badger » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:59 pm

Please stay within the fence.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby joel the ornery » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:40 pm

hsdavis wrote:I believe that there is 7 square miles of playa to ride your bike in. It is not allowed for you to go beyond the orange fence, since that is the boundry agreed upon with BMORG and BLM. Also, they protect the boundries so people don't sneak in the back way.

i think you mean... the protect the boundaries so dumbasses don't wander away, die, and their remains get found a week or two later.
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby meyouseek » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:31 pm

You could set up a sweet ramp and jump the fence on your bike! But then there would be the problem of needing another ticket to get back in.

Take a ride out in the deep playa... you can get some alone time out there.
meyouseek

Postby TheJudge » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:26 pm

meyouseek wrote:You could set up a sweet ramp and jump the fence on your bike! But then there would be the problem of needing another ticket to get back in.

Take a ride out in the deep playa... you can get some alone time out there.

Just be sure to have your ticket stub with you, otherwise the perimeter folks will round you up and force you to pay for another ticket into the event. Either that, or you may catch them on a bad day and they will just have the BLM fine you for trespassing and cart you off to Reno.

However, I would probably award points to anyone that pulled off a good Steve McQueen / Great Escape impression
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:06 am

It is not permitted. :)

Be seeing you.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

yes you can ride whereever you want

Postby ressaw » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:13 pm

I rode for hours outside the fence in 2006. its miles upon miles of the same flat terrain hemmed in by mountains so hard to get lost. Serene but boring. If you happen to break down and have to walk back in the heat with no water it could be life threatening, so prepare carefully and ride with others-just like mountain biking in the wilderness. No one is going to notice you or rescue you, but there is a road along the desert.
ressaw

ITS PUBLIC LAND YOU MORONS

Postby ressaw » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:15 pm

What part of public land don't you understand? Don't listen to these pansies afraid to leave the safe confines of an orange plastic fence.
ressaw

leaving for a bike ride

Postby willyloafofphora » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:29 pm

Two friends and I made it past the acursed orange fence on the last day and rode out to some trees on the edge of the playa. It was beautiful out there. We hung out under two giant cottonwood trees next to a running spring that was cold and reeked of sulfer. We watched as the entire city was engulfed by a giant dust storm. Its edge was about 200 yards in between us and the city. Where we were all of the dust was held down by sage brush. Fun times.
Excrement, incestuous person. I require my copulating currency, incestuous person.
willyloafofphora

Return to 2007 Theme