where is the 2007 map?

where is the 2007 map?

Postby dancemaker » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:16 pm

Has anyone heard when we should expect the 2007 map? I haven't seen any notices and I think it is usually up by around now isn't it? Or am I just wistful thinking?
Dancing across the Universe
dancemaker

Postby robotland » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:33 am

It does seem to be a little later on several things this year...I can tell you that the city layout is AT LEAST underway, if not complete.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby dancemaker » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:06 am

well that is good to hear. I kind of remember making listings in the eplaya last year around this time and already knowing where our camp will be. We are going to have a little event this year but not atheme camp so it is hard to list yourself without the street names etc.
dancemaker

Postby flipper » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:06 am

It usually comes out with the theme camp placements, and really, what good is it until then...

I hear there will be a couple of new things - notable, but not drastic. Just don't ask me what it is yet - I'm not supposed to say. If what I heard does come true... well, then the BLM permit warned me first. June or July should be the month to hear, cause they'll be out there surveying by August.
Burning Man is about being part of a community. Unfortunately, it's a community of people who can't get up before 1 p.m. - The Onion
flipper

Postby robotland » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:44 am

flipper wrote:It usually comes out with the theme camp placements, and really, what good is it until then...

Some of us make city-map-based art projects. I'm planning a BRC readout screen for the PBR MOD, and probably another recycled hard drive wearable map or two...
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Peacekeeper » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:27 am

flipper wrote:It usually comes out with the theme camp placements, and really, what good is it until then...

I hear there will be a couple of new things - notable, but not drastic. Just don't ask me what it is yet - I'm not supposed to say. If what I heard does come true... well, then the BLM permit warned me first. June or July should be the month to hear, cause they'll be out there surveying by August.

Well, nobody told me not to say, so here it is.....

The BLM has been asked to provide information on population flow throughout the city, cos the army corps of engineers is developing modelling software that will be used in the future in planning refugee camps. The practical result of this is that there will be sensor/transmitter boxes mounted on the street signs, that will pass information back to a central hub.

Because of the desired outcome of this project, eg, refugee camp modelling, themecamp placement is being a little skewed from what we have previously seen, in order to better simulate actual population distribution patterns under refugee conditions... Now what exactly this means, I'm not quite sure, but thats the word from above...

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what effect this has, and lets hope they put the info to good use...
Peacekeeper

Postby dancemaker » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:30 pm

well I feel like I am getting a ton of really interesting insider facts! Thanks everyone for keeping my curiosity tweeked!
dancemaker

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:38 pm

Well, nobody told me not to say

Don't say dammit! At least you didn't say too much about why the RFID tags are in our tickets.
MikeVDS

Postby Sync » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:09 pm

I was looking at the google earth map of BM 2006, very cool. It has the theme camps on an actual map, not just a list of camps and locations. Any chance there will be a map of the camp with the theme camps listed on it?
Sync

Postby BigCock » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:29 pm

Peacekeepers wrote:Well, nobody told me not to say, so here it is.....

The BLM has been asked to provide information on population flow throughout the city, cos the army corps of engineers is developing modelling software that will be used in the future in planning refugee camps. The practical result of this is that there will be sensor/transmitter boxes mounted on the street signs, that will pass information back to a central hub.

... and the results of this study may be relevant to a refugee camp that is naked, half-baked, partially tripping and generally blissed out. GOOD experimental design. Gimme a break. No really, back off BLM. Isn't it enough that this event raises more money for the BLM than all other events on BLM land all the rest of the year combined?
BigCock

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:26 pm

...any bets that this software (if real) is really about monitoring civilian populations real time, and not so much predicting what the future might hold?

Will the BLM/DoD obtain passes for every camera they install, I wonder?

And how do these sensors work? What do they emit? Can they be jammed/spoofed?
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Finnegan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:30 pm

"Can they be jammed/spoofed?"

I'm sure we will find out. 'Hmm.. Apparently, 15,000,000 people passed this checkpoint in the last six hours.'

And they'll use secure Diebold software to tabulate the results.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby MikeVDS » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:14 pm

Diebold? Give me a battery, paperclip and piece of bacon and it'll be jammed.
MikeVDS

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:31 pm

CAN THEY BE JAMMED?

Who cares - pull the fuckers off the signs, and throw them in with the man when he burns!!!

That oughta jam em up pretty good.

later
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:04 am

The dreaded denziens supporting total population control, the Peacekeepers wrote:
Well, nobody told me not to say, so here it is.....

Because of the desired outcome of this project, eg, refugee camp modelling, themecamp placement is being a little skewed from what we have previously seen, in order to better simulate actual population distribution patterns under refugee conditions... Now what exactly this means, I'm not quite sure, but thats the word from above...

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what effect this has, and lets hope they put the info to good use...

Need to break character. Otherwise, coming from Irish, this would be way too good to pass up. )grins(

Remember, "refugee" camps aren't the olly type of camp that population flow would be necessary, expecially with such a high concentration density of people in a fenced off space.

What the government does nowdays scares the shit out of me.And I won't comment about the "new" international airport in Denver.

Returning to your regularly scheduled doom...

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:30 am

MikeVDS wrote:Diebold? Give me a battery, paperclip and piece of bacon and it'll be jammed.

Richard Dean Anderson? I thought you were in charge of the Stargate these days.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby robotland » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:31 am

Peacekeepers wrote:[Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what effect this has, and lets hope they put the info to good use...

Won't everybody be surprised when they flood the playa!

Ahhh...I'm as happy as a gamepiece.

"Move me onto any white square...
Use me any time you like."
-YES
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Rocket75377 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:43 am

Toolmaker wrote:Richard Dean Anderson? I thought you were in charge of the Stargate these days.

Only until friday at eight.
I am the people your parents warned you about.

"How would Horatio Alger have handled this?"
Rocket75377

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:29 pm

For those of you who didn't get the placement email yesterday, here are the street names for this year: (No actual Map yet)

ESPLANADE
ARCTIC
BOREAL
CORAL REEF
DESERT
ESTUARY
FRESHWATER
GRASSLAND
HABITAT
INTERTIDAL
JUNGLE
KELP FOREST
LANDFILL

the "ring road" around Center Camp is EVOLUTION

Also, they formally announced that there will be additional ice sales outposts on both 3 and 9 plazas (rumored until now)

Earlier they announced that the first concentric block from the Esplanade will be double deep, so I am guessing that the street that goes thru the 3 and 9 plazas will be Arctic and not Boreal as it would have been on last year's layout. Or maybe they pushed the plazas deeper into the rings. Looking forward to seeing the map! :)

Doggy *woof woof* :P
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby AntiM » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:50 pm

Toolmaker wrote:
MikeVDS wrote:Diebold? Give me a battery, paperclip and piece of bacon and it'll be jammed.

Lord, honey, he's been off the show for two seasons now. That guy from Farscape is in charge now. And last night was the last show, so there's no getting in the gate except over on Atlantis now.

I am such a geek.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:11 pm

Someone emailed me the map, but I haven't yet found it listed on the official site. It doesn't look radically different from years past.

I'm not sure what the deal is with placement. They've had a couple changes, but there was also a bigger headstart this year and they also gave themselves an extra month to process applications and work on laying out the city. I'd offered to volunteer and help out a little while back, but nobody responded.

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Toolmaker » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:12 am

AntiM wrote:
Toolmaker wrote:

Lord, honey, he's been off the show for two seasons now. That guy from Farscape is in charge now. And last night was the last show, so there's no getting in the gate except over on Atlantis now.

I am such a geek.

HAHA, I've been busted.. my hatred for TV commercials keeps me behind in the times. I don't get to watch it until our roommate buys the DVDs :) I still havent watched Atlantis season 2 yet. SciFry got put on hold since I'm busy with Stewie and American Dad via netflix.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Moonpie » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:34 pm

I didn't kniow refugees sometimes travel in RVs???? High style indeed!
Moonpie

Postby Nick Collide » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:38 am

Moonpie wrote:I didn't kniow refugees sometimes travel in RVs???? High style indeed!

What? You missed Katrina? It was a real hit a while back...one of those "reality" shows...don't know what became of it though. Anyway, FEMA was buying up RVs right and left in Utah for a while afterwards...
Nick Collide

Postby Dork » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:49 am

I say we resist the tyrany of the Borg-imposed road names. We should put up our own signs. F is Flora to the left of center camp, Fauna to the right. H is Herb.

What about the rest?
Dork

Postby Finnegan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:08 am

Fight the power, Brother!

G is for Ganja.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby Nickel » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:50 am

ARCTIC == BOREAL
CORAL REEF =~ KELP FOREST
ESTUARY =~ FRESHWATER =~ INTERTIDAL
DESERT == The Playa, but fine to keep this one.
HABITAT == Everything on the list, this makes no sense.
LANDFILL == Not a habitat at all.

Everything else, fine. keep it.

Key
* == : The same thing
* =~ : Way too similar
"This is not about love, because I am not in love"

Camp Team says, "Go Team!"
Nickel

Postby Plastic G'zus » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:22 am

The practical result of this is that there will be sensor/transmitter boxes mounted on the street signs, that will pass information back to a central hub.

Is this true? The government is installing tracking hardware in BRC? Scary.
Make love to anything. Make war on everything.
Plastic G'zus

Postby Plastic G'zus » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:23 am

Why'd it do that?
Make love to anything. Make war on everything.
Plastic G'zus

Postby itwazed » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:24 am

Finnegan wrote:Fight the power, Brother!

G is for Ganja.

I def be living on Ganja street!
Fly Fat ASS!!! FLY!!!!!
He smoked a phat cronic blunt.
itwazed

Next

Return to 2007 Theme