Hey LeChat, What Are You Working On?

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:13 pm

So I tracked down some of the woven friction material. I'm going to try and get some of it tomorrow. And it looks like I can modify the mounts i made for the wood shoes to fit the band brake. Ok, gotta go...

Can't talk...

scheming...

Oh, and unjon... don't go through any get pains to get a pic of that brake. I'm pretty sure I've seen them before, and if I remember correctly the belt only grabs half of the pulley diameter. I'm shooting for 80% or so and I think the material BBSue mentioned will work great.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:36 pm

Alrighty then…

I tracked down the friction material that BBSue mentioned last week and I like it. I’d thought about drum brakes at first, but had ruled them out because of a perceived lack of wonk. But after getting the design worked out and assembling the friction straps, I’m pretty happy with them, especially because of the very sure, and effective braking. And I think they look even better than the wood shoes.

I’ll post some photos soon of the work we got done this past Friday evening, but for now, here’s a pic of the friction strap. I was able to make them to fit the mount assembly (the part that bolts to the axle and held the shoes) for the wood shoe design, and without a single change. It was like it the mounts were really made to work with the new design all along! I figured that was a good sign.

I’m a big fan of fail-safe devices. Note the little band that runs along the center of the strap. This is 1/8" x 1/4" piece of flat stock that is welded to the mounts at each end. I was a bit concerned about fatigue at the point where the mounts welded to the band and this is a backup.

The strap is open more than it will be when installed. I'm getting 80% or so contact when the brake is applied, and when its not tight the wheel rolls very freely.

LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:43 pm

Here's another view:

LeChatNoir

Postby gyre » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:55 pm

A backup to the steel on the back already?
You're so funny.

I want you to build my next roll cage.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby pinemom » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:08 am

Very sweet device there LeChat!

Love it when the minds of burners come together to throw idea's in and out! It's PRICELESS!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby karine » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:07 am

Chaba and NikO were over last weekend!

We had DPW IN THE HOUSE! wooo hoooo ! wooo hooo!
... oh .....
and the "contraption" now has the cam drive for the FLAME THROWER.
Nice.
karine

Postby unjonharley » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:45 am

AAAA the chat, You have my contraption juices flowing..I will be forced to build a Giro Gear Lose aka rube goldstein contraption..A make up of shaftings, wheels, belts and pulleys..All to generate a small amount of DC to power my stereo kinetically..That's not to even mention the power box..The contraption bug has biten..
unjonharley

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:29 pm

unjonharley wrote:AAAA the chat, You have my contraption juices flowing..I will be forced to build a Giro Gear Lose aka rube goldstein contraption..A make up of shaftings, wheels, belts and pulleys..All to generate a small amount of DC to power my stereo kinetically..That's not to even mention the power box..The contraption bug has biten..

YES!!!

No that's what I'm hoping for...

More contraptions!!

I'll post pics of this past weekend's progress tonight or tomorrow.
LeChatNoir

Postby unjonharley » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:34 pm

LeChatNoir wrote: YES!!!

No that's what I'm hoping for...

More contraptions!!

I'll post pics of this past weekend's progress tonight or tomorrow.

\/
I have another that is in the works..So far I have cut up a couple of 20 inch bikes and an old exercycle..Salvaged and painted the parts I will need..It's the kinetic drive for a ric-shaw that will be pulled by a scale BM man..

Right now the weather has me cornered inside..I have a 5x7.5 table for the art work..Have some neat dragons for the sides and back of the ric-shaw..

For the ride Giro Gear Lose go's on I'm almost finished with the scale 54 Caddy rear fender and jutbox that will be the front end..Stero is still giving me trouble..

Only 143 days to go with a lot of electrical stuff to go that dose not even have drawings yet..

The remission I have been enjoying fell apart a few weeks ago..So it take forever to do even the smallest things..

I'll get some pic up..
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Sorry you're not doing well unjon.
What's the story behind your name?
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby unjonharley » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:34 pm

gyre wrote:Sorry you're not doing well unjon.
What's the story behind your name?

I use to ride a Harley and all the girls want to ride my Harley..My "middle" name is Harley amd a lot of girls got to ride that Harley too..

Being a fan of the graetest "druggy" writer ever..My kids throw me and unbirthday tea party..They included every one I knew and had customs for each..This was for my 50th after I had told they "No Party"..They waited a week and had an unparty..So, Through The Looking Glass..I'm unjon..

Get this,,My name is Berning..I am the Berning Man..
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:52 pm

Berning...too perfect.

Do you still have your originals?
gyre

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:40 pm

I used to have a Harley... a '72 that was chopped out. Measured 9'-9" from tip of tire to tip of tire. I loved that thing. Kickstarted it one year after pulling it out of the garage. Two months of no riding and it fired right up... shot dog food out the front pipe like a shotgun.

That mouse must have had a wild ride.
LeChatNoir

Postby gyre » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:51 pm

That is crazy.
That is a longer wheelbase than my car and my van both.
What was your turning radius?
I mean, without falling over.
gyre

Postby unjonharley » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:22 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:I used to have a Harley... a '72 that was chopped out. Measured 9'-9" from tip of tire to tip of tire. I loved that thing. Kickstarted it one year after pulling it out of the garage. Two months of no riding and it fired right up... shot dog food out the front pipe like a shotgun.

That mouse must have had a wild ride.

\/
I still have pain days from when the bikes got drunk and rode me..I wont forget that..The one that hangs in me old head:..Sliding on my back at 100mph on the Ca. freeway at peek hour..The damn thing was upside down just above me for the longest time..It fell away and I stopped..I walked away from that..The back of my helmet and leather was all burned away as were the ass of my jeans..
unjonharley

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:27 pm

gyre wrote:That is crazy.
That is a longer wheelbase than my car and my van both.
What was your turning radius?
I mean, without falling over.

Oh... it was pretty big. It had a 16" overstock girder front end on it. I got tired of fighting with it so much and put a 6" OS wide glide font end on. That was what the frame geometry was set up for, actually. It was a rigid frame.

My back still aches too, unjon. but I never had anything as spectacular as you did there.
LeChatNoir

Postby unjonharley » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:40 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:
My back still aches too, unjon. but I never had anything as spectacular as you did there.

\/ The kids mom was my back bitch in the days..We got married and she got me to hang up the leather..Rode from 54 to 63..We kept a 39 Idian in a hay barn until 93..Sold it to pay doctor bills..She died of cancer 6 years later..Great lady.. Long legs and a balcony you
could do Shakespear off of..
unjonharley

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:08 pm

unjonharley wrote:
LeChatNoir wrote:

\/ The kids mom was my back bitch in the days..We got married and she got me to hang up the leather..Rode from 54 to 63..We kept a 39 Idian in a hay barn until 93..Sold it to pay doctor bills..She died of cancer 6 years later..Great lady.. Long legs and a balcony you

Heh Heh... good times, huh? unjon, we met in '05 but only in passing. This year, I'd like to actually sit and gab for a bit with you. Besides, you'll need a chance to look over this art project I'm laying out here.

And speakin gof that project!!!

So this weekend, my pal chaba and his brother, DPW’s own Niko, were over for a little Contraptionating.

Niko and chaba got the frame made for the power plant of this machine. Pictured below is where the flywheel and crank mechanism for the pump will mount. I think they did a fine job, myself. They sawed the pieces out to the correct dimensions and welded ‘em up. When we slipped them in place to weld them in, they fit just right. Nice…

I worked on the brakes and the cam mechanism. Niko helped me forge out the curved arm that hold the idler pulley for flame/smokestack cam. Also below is a pic of the drive mechanism that powers the cam. As I mentioned before, I had originally intended for the flames to be driven off the flywheel, but then this would have meant that it would have “puffedâ€
LeChatNoir

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:19 pm

I can't even express how impressed I am with this project LCN!!

Now That's Blather!

I can't wait to see it, you and karine this year!... (((hugs)))
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby unjonharley » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:21 pm

YO GUYS see the above.. He is way out front of us...Note to self: Get off the putter and get to work..

Nice stuff.. Some of that old chain was cast..Better have some extra or newer steel..

Love the word "contraptionating" May I use it¿
unjonharley

Postby MozyBonz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:31 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:
unjonharley wrote:
LeChatNoir wrote:

Heh Heh... good times, huh? unjon, we met in '05 but only in passing. This year, I'd like to actually sit and gab for a bit with you. Besides, you'll need a chance to look over this art project I'm laying out here.

And speakin gof that project!!!

So this weekend, my pal chaba and his brother, DPW’s own Niko, were over for a little Contraptionating.

Niko and chaba got the frame made for the power plant of this machine. Pictured below is where the flywheel and crank mechanism for the pump will mount. I think they did a fine job, myself. They sawed the pieces out to the correct dimensions and welded ‘em up. When we slipped them in place to weld them in, they fit just right. Nice…

I worked on the brakes and the cam mechanism. Niko helped me forge out the curved arm that hold the idler pulley for flame/smokestack cam. Also below is a pic of the drive mechanism that powers the cam. As I mentioned before, I had originally intended for the flames to be driven off the flywheel, but then this would have meant that it would have “puffedâ€
MozyBonz

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:31 pm

That chain is forged, but it is brittle. Believe it or not, I found replacement chain the same make and size at the local tractor supply place. I'm packng it along and planning for any possible repairs.
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:34 pm

Thanks Mozy!!!
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm

thisisthatwhichis wrote:I can't even express how impressed I am with this project LCN!!

Now That's Blather!

I can't wait to see it, you and karine this year!... (((hugs)))

Thanks, TITWI. I'm really looking forward to seeing you guys too... I mean it.
LeChatNoir

Postby Gravity Mike » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:53 pm

Nice work, LeChat...

I think I need to quit my job to keep up (really, not a bad idea all things considered).

So is this thing going to have a fixed gear, or will you be able to change them? I'm having some problems with gear changing issues on my contraption. I probably don't really need it for the playa, but there are 'races' where I will need them.

Gravity Mike
Gravity Mike

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:56 pm

Its a fixed gear currently. Since this is being made with a max 5mph in mind, a single speed seems to be in order. I figure between the ability to pump slower or faster and the driver's control of the clutch it should perform fine for that speed range.

what kind of issues are you having with your gear changing?

And yes, unjon... you most certainly may use the term "contraptionating", in fact I'm going to ask that you use it and encourage others to do so as well!
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:57 pm

Gravity Mike wrote:Nice work, LeChat...

I think I need to quit my job to keep up (really, not a bad idea all things considered).

Having a shop just a short walk from the house does have it's advantages...
LeChatNoir

Postby unjonharley » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:15 pm

The Chat,, I notioced you have an interest in garbage gas.. I am the epitomy of gas..

I have an interest in a digester.. Some where in my travels/reading there was one..

In the farming areas of China they make there own gas for cooking and a little light..

What I saw was a large (3ft) stone bowl, with a matching stone "bowled" top.. The top had a stone exit tube.. It appeared the tube was formed inside to trap gas and the deliver it.. I do not know what they used for an exciter.. But the artical said they used waste vegitation.. I may have looked at the artical in a waitng room some where years ago..

Lately I have had a keener interest In making my own gas to run a generater ..

As for the waste glass, It could be made into gravel for decorative drive ways or used in organic gardening..

Just some things that have been in the old brain for years..
unjonharley

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:10 pm

I’ve been recycling for a long while now. The glass I take to a place where they grind it up and use it as an aggregate for new home foundations. Compacts better than gravel.

I’d like to mess around with melting/casting it someday too.

The garbage gas project is still in the design stages, but its coming together. The group I'm working with on that is building a place that runs entirely off methane from a landfill. Seems like I've said that before around here somewhere. 50+ years worth of fuel. I’ve heard talk of recharging old landfills with pig and cow crap to keep them going on and on.

That’s a cool sounding gas generator made from the stone bowls. I love farm ingenuity. Wonder if you could produce something like that with premade concrete castings?

Here's link to that garbage gas group.
LeChatNoir

Postby Box Burner » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:28 pm

Hey LCN

Truly awsome! Can't wait to see it.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

PreviousNext

Return to 2007 Theme