Hey LeChat, What Are You Working On?

Pack mule!

Postby absurdier » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:41 pm

unjonharley wrote:
��Any one want to drag an old man through the wood so he can touch that train before he takes the big dirt nap??

Id be more than willing to be a pack mule for this journey!
It would give me the greatest pleasure to see such an awesome piece of the history.... Pa PA Pa palease keep me informed

Maybe we could find a way to revive this historic relic?

I like dynamite!
absurdier

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:01 pm

unjonharley wrote:MOzy said:(snip)

yeah he has put so many neat things on it i forget.. thax..

Yep... Karine shouldnt' have to worry about boarding The Contration in a dress, nor should unjon fret over an uncomfortable step height. Those were my thoughts as I built the ladder.

So I got you covered, man.

And your tush will have a nice seatpad to park on, too. We'll be doing that sewing soon. We've got to make the seat pads (seat cushion and back cushion) and the awning for the day conopy.

I just haven't had time to post pics lately, but hang in there. I've got a "side project" going on for the weekend, but its an important one...
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:24 pm

Got my new meds started today.. so will be pouring the coal to it until exit day..also had a side project..

the little stray cat i was grooming to come live with me..well some son-of-a-bitch painted the poor guy.. he was four days in hospital.. now he s home and shredder said he has to live outside.. so i took all my belongings from the storage area, screened everything off and made him his own apartment.. hospital bill 400$ and he is worth every penny.. now i have to rent storage for y stuff..

the no meds thing keeps me up night in discomfort, losing time there.. has cross my mind: i may not make it to BM this year..keeping up the good struggle and going ahead..

after all the work you went through for your lights.. i just picked up two 17LED 12v spotlights from HF @499 purr.. grabed them for future projects unless you need them..
unjonharley

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:35 pm

Somebody painted the kitty? Jeez... some people just need to quit watching the frakin' idiot box for a while.

I saw those lights at the local HF just the other day!! I almost bought 'em, but figured I'd wait. Hang on to yours since I can get them here too.

And what did you say? Might not make a BM? They make special chocolate bars for that problem.
LeChatNoir

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:07 pm

....damn kitty painters,,,grrrr....

latest progress on the flame effects artillery piece (F.E.A.P. mk1)

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Box Burner » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:21 pm

Very cool Jafe.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:22 pm

Nice work, Jafe. So the steel wool acts as a flame holder to keep the pilot light from blowing out, eh?

Nice...

Here’s the latest pics…

It’s almost complete. I think it’ll be ready by the test run date of Sunday, August 5th. I’ve still got to make the battery box and wire up the leads to the switch. Also got to sew up the “Day Coverâ€
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:28 pm

And unjon said I should do a search for “green steam energyâ€
LeChatNoir

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:44 pm

[quote="LeChatNoir"]And unjon said I should do a search for “green steam energyâ€
unjonharley

Postby Box Burner » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:22 pm

Truly awesome LeChat! I cannot wait to see it. :D

Box Burner

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:24 pm

That contraption thingy is looking more incredible every time you post pics! Gonna be so cool to see it in person!!! ANd I love the little steam engines! Very cool! Thanks!!!

Doggy *WOof!* :-P
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby absurdier » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:13 pm

You fucking rock!
absurdier

Postby absurdier » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:22 pm

So whats the word on this trip out to the train.... what part of the black rock is it near? west , east north south?
im in gerlach now and would love to try and
search it out and get a feel for the terrain if possible...

also Lechat thats awesome that you put in a door instead of
taking apart the contraption...That made me laugh so hard.

see you soon!
absurdier

Postby Box Burner » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:39 pm

absurdier,

You just reminded me.... When I was kid there was a guy who lived around the block who built a really nice boat... In his basement. I guess it sat there in his basement for about a year until he finally decided to dig a wide ramp down to the foundation an knock out a garage door sized hole to get it out. It was a nice boat and well built. But what was he thinking?

Box Burner

Postby Tiahaar » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:40 pm

LeChatNoir! You've seen the Buckaroo Bansai movie right? Remember the part where the badguys try to drive their spaceship out of the groundhanger using the stolen dimensional device which doesn't work because they didn't build it right and they end up just driving through the wall? Heheh, well I was going to suggest trying that but here you went and cut a proper hanger door in your shop, OVER THE WEEKEND no less, what is the world coming to. :D It took me all weekend to put some gas plumbing together.
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:15 am

absurdier wrote:So whats the word on this trip out to the train.... what part of the black rock is it near? west , east north south?
im in gerlach now and would love to try and
search it out and get a feel for the terrain if possible...

also Lechat thats awesome that you put in a door instead of
taking apart the contraption...That made me laugh so hard.

see you soon!

\/
Sorry absurdier, wrong black rock.. the train is around black rock logging camp in the Or. mountain coast range.. some where below the fanto mountain lookout tower.. those are hill in Nv..
unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:38 am

[quote="LeChatNoir"]And unjon said I should do a search for “green steam energyâ€
unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:49 am

\/
dragonfly, i can t wait to see that pile of tin can your putting to geather..

and i m looking for a bunny trike from that damn hippie bus..
unjonharley

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:10 am

Tiahaar wrote:LeChatNoir! You've seen the Buckaroo Bansai movie right? Remember the part where the badguys try to drive their spaceship out of the groundhanger using the stolen dimensional device which doesn't work because they didn't build it right and they end up just driving through the wall? Heheh, well I was going to suggest trying that but here you went and cut a proper hanger door in your shop, OVER THE WEEKEND no less, what is the world coming to. :D It took me all weekend to put some gas plumbing together.

Yes!!! They couldn't get the Flux Capacitor to tune in right, so the three points would not align on the wall, as you may recall. So instead of going back into the 8th dimension,, Lord Warfin and the other lectroids just blasted through the warehouse wall.

Wait... flux capacitor was Back To the Future... their device was called a... ahh jeez... I forget. Now I gotta go watch that movie again. (By the way, If I recall correctly,it was filmed in a Nevada dry lake desert, but one more south.)

And several people were lobbying hard for ramps and jumping through the front bay windows.
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:17 am

[quote="unjonharley"][quote="LeChatNoir"]And unjon said I should do a search for “green steam energyâ€
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:32 am

And speaking of thread sprawl (which I highly encourage), the handy thing about having a bay door is now I can start to search out stuff like a lathe and a mill because I have a way to get them in the shop.

MWHAAA AHH HAAAA HAA.
LeChatNoir

Postby Toolmaker » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:09 am

LeChatNoir wrote:now I can start to search out stuff like a lathe and a mill because I have a way to get them in the shop.

MWHAAA AHH HAAAA HAA.

CNC or Manual? Another shops demise can be your gain at the right auction. I'm kinda partial to brand name manuals. Nothing like a Hardinge toolroom lathe and a Bridgeport mill with DROs on both. Engine lathes are nice too for the big stuff.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:55 am

Toolmaker wrote:
LeChatNoir wrote:now I can start to search out stuff like a lathe and a mill because I have a way to get them in the shop.

MWHAAA AHH HAAAA HAA.

CNC or Manual? Another shops demise can be your gain at the right auction. I'm kinda partial to brand name manuals. Nothing like a Hardinge toolroom lathe and a Bridgeport mill with DROs on both. Engine lathes are nice too for the big stuff.

Although I've run plenty of CNC equipment, I also tend to lean towards the manual machines for what I'd need to create (A CNC Plasma cutter would be a nice addition though). Probably a 12 x 36 lathe and a decent used Bridgeport. And yeah, digital readouts are the best man.

Something will turn up whens it's supposed to, I reckon.
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:44 pm

This week and weekend, a short drive from here, is the "World's longest yardsale". Lots of rusty junk...

http://www.127sale.com/

Wonder what I'll find?
LeChatNoir

Postby karine » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:53 pm

What YOU will find ?!

I wonder what * I * will find!
Ah HA!
(It will be good to be home!)
karine

Postby StevenGoodman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:17 am

LeChatNoir wrote:Nice work, Jafe. So the steel wool acts as a flame holder to keep the pilot light from blowing out, eh?

Nice...

Yes, the wool acts as a "wind break", it also diffuses the propane. But you do NOT want steel wool. You want copper wool or stainless steel wool. Normal steel wool will actually "burn" (oxidize), and quickly go away.

It is the simplest way to make an igniter that does not blow out, or get blown out by the flame effect. But it is not very pretty.

But pretty is HARD!!!
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:18 pm

Well…

Tonight, I suffered my first major disappointment for this project. As best I could tell via searching the web, Cold Cathodes pulled +/- 5.0mA each. When I only had four on The Contraption, I used a volt meter and sure enough, got around 24.0mA. I figured that what I’d found on the web was correct. I figured I had room for four more and the LEDs with no problem.

On a whim tonight, I went down to hook up the lights again, and see if I had everything correctly wired up and ready for the batteries that Karine is bringing with her this weekend. I hooked up the ground and the hot (complete with a fuse holder and a 2.0 amp fuse) and what happens? The fuse smolders and pops. I figured this can’t be good, so I got my volt meter out. Now the damn thing is reading 2.61 amps of current. 8 CCFLs and three 12-LED bulbs. The only thing different is the voltmeter has fresh batteries in it. Not sure how that would make a difference, but apparently… It is an old meter too, but still.

So that means the 7AH batteries I got will last a whopping 2.6 hours each. Damn it.

So I can either step up in battery size (more space and weight) or try and switch to LEDs all around. I’m inclined to go towards the LEDs, since I’ve already got the battery box built and ready. Space is getting to be an issue.

I can deduce the current of the LEDs by the fact that I have a switch for the headlamps. Toggling this switch jumps the meter to 2.69 amps form 2.61, meaning that for the two bulbs, they’re drawing about 0.04 amps each. I’ve found some 12V Blue LED string lights already. They might work as a good stand in. I’ve got a set of 120V Blue LEDs and will go down and check how they look in a few minutes.

Damn, what a bummer… those purple CCFLs look so damn nice too.
LeChatNoir

Postby spectabillis » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:43 pm

just a thought, mixing white leds with uv (blacklight) or yellow might have differnt eerie or aged look.
spectabillis

Postby Token » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:31 pm

Hang on LCN! I run two 12" CCFLs from AA batteries for seven days of BM, every night on my bike and even then the AA batteries are not drained.

I recommend you unplug one at a time while observing the current. This sounds like a bad inverter for the CCFLs.

Note that the inverter itself will be defective, not the CCFL bulb.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:27 pm

Token,

I tested a different set of CCFL's... two 12" running on one inverter. 0.6 amps. Still adds up to around to around 2.4 amps for eight of 'em. I then hooked the whole system up to a 9 volt battery and it would run all eight CCFL's and the LED tail lamp. It only pulled 0.49 amps at that point from the 9 volt. But it was very dim.

I then hooked the two separate ones up to the 9 volt and they glowed, but more dim than with the 12 volt battery, of course. Are yours very bright with the AA's? How many AA's are you using? I've got fuzzy brain.
LeChatNoir

PreviousNext

Return to 2007 Theme