Hey LeChat, What Are You Working On?

Postby robotland » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:10 pm

LeChatNoir wrote:Not just time travel...

Quantum leaping to the retro-future that never was!!!

I do so look forward to seeing you in 1974 at LabWerks, my friend!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:59 pm

I do so look forward to seeing you in 1974 at LabWerks, my friend!

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!

Funny you should mention that date. I just picked up a bottle of A.H. Hirsch bourbon tonight for Karine's brother. He gets me to keep a look out for rare stuff.

It's a 16 year old bourbon that was bottled in 1974, but they found several cases hidden in a warehouse at the distillery in Frankfort. Its all that's left of a pot still batch that was thought to be gone and gone.

And I happened to stumble across it tonight in the local establishment. Who knows how much of it got shipped around the world. Some of it stayed in town, though.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby Tiahaar » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:06 pm

This is a great thread!! Read every word, brought up lotsa memories here for me too. I plowed my mom's garden with an old tumblebug hooked to a little 1950-ish Case back in high school days. They've since sold and moved to town. There's a cast iron tractor seat on my playa trike...dang maybe there is some connection between early farm implement exposure and crazy BurningMan mechgeeks. LeChatNoir that is looking very interesting, can hardly wait to see what you're buildin.
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:02 pm

Thank you, Tiahaar. I'm really tickled that everyone is getting all these memories stirred up. Makes it even more fun for me. I love reading them. And The Contraption will make use of the great big seat from the horse-drawn disc harrow.

Following is a pic of one of the tobacco setter wheels, now with new sealed bearings, mounted temporarily on the front axle stub. In this pic, the tie rod is repaired and everything is starting to come together in my mind. Note that the yoke has been bent down to meet up with the underneath of the frame.

(In the back ground is a railing ready to be prepped for finishing.)

I had to make a mount to hold the ball on the yoke. This will allow the suspension to work and swivle at what ever angle and yet be fixed in position. The yoke was bent, I suspect (like everything else I'm using), by some crash some years ago. When the axle was lined up with the spring, the ball fell just to the side of centerline of the frame. So instead of trying to fix that, I just built the ball's mount to look like it had been crashed.

LeChatNoir

Postby karine » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:08 pm

Le Chat, you Fool! You've bent it already!
karine

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:11 pm

Le Chat, you Fool! You've bent it already!

DOH!!!
LeChatNoir

Postby gyre » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:46 am

You have to check out the Ornamental Metal Museum here next time you come through.
They have their own smithy now.
You never know what will be on show.
They have had everything from heavy metal sculpture to damascus work
(I loved the damascus etched and dipped wedding rings.) to tiny metal jewel boxes.
They have smith cats so I'm sure you could get in.
They did a piece of wrought aluminum for a garden folly here so big it had to be airlifted in. Imagine the house!
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby unjonharley » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:39 am

Cat, If I'm not mistaken that axel looks like it come off an old ford..Up to about 48-49 they had a straight axel with one spring..THe yoke conected to a rear yoke..They were a bitch to keep on the road if they had a few drinks..I had more than one drunk and fall off the road..
unjonharley

Postby LeChatNoir » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:11 pm

I've hear those models were bad to get into that booze. Sneaky Ford trucks.
LeChatNoir

Postby pinemom » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:39 am

oh o ohhhhhhhhhh,Le Chat and Karine!
I sooo learned to plasma weld and cut yesturday!

Im hooked, my cheeks hurt from the crazy ass smile on my mug for 3 hours straight.

Was one, on, my life's checklist....CHECK<

Now Im hooked! I love seeing the work your doing...and do for a living. and now so much more makes so much sense and I need a plasma weld/cutter, and I wanna weld old tractors, and cut burn barrels, and make sculptures, and, and, and...................
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby robotland » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:08 am

Mmmmm...I gotta drag out the oxy/ace and cut somethin' up. I did a mini aluminum bonfire smelt yesterday, but was working sloppy and dumped the crucible into the embers...Later today I'll dig the bloom out- Might be pretty, but probably it'll just be a mess...
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:11 pm

YEAH!!!!

Messing with a plasma cutter is lots of fun. Make sure you wear some dark goggles while doing it. Not good for the eys, you now...
LeChatNoir

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:13 pm

So I don’t think I’ve ever spelled out how this thing is going to be powered. I've had the power plant's concept from the start, actually. I had originally thought about using it to make a human powered blacksmithing hammer for a "Village Smithy" on the playa. Robotland and I talked a bit about this, but with all these great pieces of farm stuff yelling at me, it became apparent soon enough that there was another purpose for a flywheel power unit this year.

So... picture a vehicle with a railroad handcar type pump mechanism. Able to harness up to four power units (read: “humansâ€
LeChatNoir

Postby unjonharley » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:16 pm

Worked with 200 welders on the floor..Running the over head cranes.. Many days with ice packs from sand in the eyes..Not wounder I'm damn near blind..
unjonharley

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:20 pm

I've heard a piece of a potato will help get that sand out too, but I've never had to test it, fortunately.
LeChatNoir

Postby BAS » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:36 pm

Many years ago I thought it would be cool to turn a rowing machine into some kind of a vehicle. It would have been powered by both the legs and arms, and steered by the arms (much like in a boat-- slow down with one arm and/or speed up with the other). I wanted it so that it could go either forwards or backwards (partly just because, and partly for maneuverability). Never did get around to actually seeing if I could do it..., and now, seeing different people's projects, I feel like a slacker! (Curse you! :P :wink: )

(I wonder if my brother still has the rowing machine, or if he got rid of it to clear up some space? :? )

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby unjonharley » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:42 pm

[quote="BAS"][color=blue]Many years ago I thought it would be cool to turn a rowing machine into some kind of a vehicle. It would have been powered by both the legs and arms, and steered by the arms (much like in a boat-- slow down with one arm and/or speed up with the other). I wanted it so that it could go either forwards or backwards (partly just because, and partly for maneuverability). Never did get around to actually seeing if I could do it..., and now, seeing different people's projects, I feel like a slacker! (Curse you! :P :wink: ) ]

\/
How about a row or long boat with hinen wheels..Can you see it?? Aboat being rowed across the desert..PLaya Sea Bee's
unjonharley

Postby BAS » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:00 pm

How about a row or long boat with hinen wheels..Can you see it?? Aboat being rowed across the desert..PLaya Sea Bee's

Yeah, that's another idea. I'd prefer to have my legs add to the power, though, and have it set up so I am facing in the direction I am going.

Another idea I have had was to build an adult pedal car. Darn. I need to settle on an idea and get the resources together to actually do one of these!

B.
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Postby unjonharley » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:20 pm

BAS wrote:

Yeah, that's another idea. I'd prefer to have my legs add to the power, though, and have it set up so I am facing in the direction I am going.

[color=blue]Another idea I have had was to build an adult pedal car. Darn. I need to settle on an idea and get the resources together to actually do one of these!

The Coast Guard had Kinetic Art Sculpture..They had four people pedling that fed a drive to the wheels.. Steering was tiller style..

Bm 06 a guy had one of the first honda imports..He had the inside of the body stripped out and set on his bicycle frame..It was great, head lights and all
unjonharley

Postby BAS » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:27 pm

unjonharley wrote:
BAS wrote:

Another idea I have had was to build an adult pedal car. Darn. I need to settle on an idea and get the resources together to actually do one of these!

The Coast Guard had Kinetic Art Sculpture..They had four people pedling that fed a drive to the wheels.. Steering was tiller style..

Bm 06 a guy had one of the first honda imports..He had the inside of the body stripped out and set on his bicycle frame..It was great, head lights and all

[color=blue]Yeah, I actually talked to that guy for a while. It was a pretty cool vehicle! He was doing an article on bicycles at BM or some such thing. (And someone else talked about doing an article on his peddle car, I think.) I never did see either article, so I don't know if they have come out yet, or I just missed them.

B.
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:13 pm

BAS,

You really should see if you can do your project. I think that'd be terrific to see.
LeChatNoir

Postby Tiahaar » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:36 pm

OOO cool the puff-puff-puff flame as the wheels turn is great! Love this Contraption! How're you going to clutch the flywheel?
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:50 pm

The flywheel sends power to the rear axle via a heavy v-belt. I'm using an idler pulley that is on an arm. The arm will be connected to one of the levers up front. By pulling the lever, you tighten the idler pulley, just like you would do to engage the cutting deck on a riding lawnmower.

Same set up for the flame-effect, too... that way it doesn't have to be on all the time.

Wait till I tell you about the reverse gear.
LeChatNoir

Postby BAS » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:11 am

LeChatNoir wrote:BAS,

You really should see if you can do your project. I think that'd be terrific to see.

Which one? I think I have at least three mentioned! (The rowing machine conversion is the oldest, maybe it should be the first? Might be the most work, though, and I don't know how to weld.)

B.
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Postby pinemom » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:21 am

Bas...I can teach you how to weld, you might want BBSue though, she's a welding Goddess!
pinemom

Postby unjonharley » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:24 am

BAS wrote:
LeChatNoir wrote:BAS,

Which one? I think I have at least three mentioned! (The rowing machine conversion is the oldest, maybe it should be the first? Might be the most work, though, and I don't know how to weld.)

B.

\/
How abou a paddle boat..Make it look like a duck..That would be wild..(duck that is)
unjonharley

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:31 am

I was thinking of the rowing machine and/or row boat in one mental image I think.

You know...

You could make the pivots that hold the oars actually be the drive units. Each time you pull the oars, it pulls a chain that engages a bicycle freewheel mechanism that drives an axle. Then when you go forward again, it freewheels and rewinds the chain. You could steer with your feet via pedals.

Might be a bitch not seeing where your going, but it'd be a cool sight.

Hey!!!... It might be even weirder to have it go "backwards", so that you're really going the direction your facing, even though your rowing the other way. What a freakin' trip that would be to see silently glide by you at 3:00am.

I swear I've seen bicycles that you both pump with your feet and row with your hands. I'll have to do some checking around.

Oh... and buy a small mig and learn to weld. You'll never regret it.
LeChatNoir

Postby pinemom » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:33 am

the only thing Im regretting is that I dont have a spare 2200.00 laying around to go buy the plasma set up!
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
pinemom

Postby unjonharley » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:47 am

One of those stair climber machines..The ones with the fan in them..They have the right gear to make a forward rowing action..The things are in Goodwill all the time..It could be riged for both hand and foot power..They have a real smooth ratchet drive..
unjonharley

Postby BAS » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:59 am

Well, there is my dad's Schwinn Airdyne(sp?), but I don't DARE take that apart! :shock: :wink:

I don't want to try operating the thing with just my arms. I don't think I would make it more than a block or two before my arms gave out!

Learning to weld might increase my job prospects, actually. How much does a mig welder cost?

Crud. Now I really do have to get going! It looks like I will need to head into Madison in order to apply for some of the jobs I want to apply for.

B.
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

PreviousNext

Return to 2007 Theme